drifter jets help you climb up crazy hills

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by illgot, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ritual

No, it's pretty clearly a bug. Go inside a biodome and take a look at someone who's clinging to the outside of the dome.. their legs are clipping through to the inside. There are actually some spots where it's so bad that you can actually shoot them and they'll take damage.
  2. Ghoest

Legs clipping means nothing in this game.
    This game is extremely rough around the edges with graphics.
  3. TheArchetype

Clinging isn't even a game mechanic.
  4. Iridar51

If it works - it's a game mechanic, mr double poster.
  5. Wolfwood82

We've been over this. The odds of a minor bug like this being commented on by developers is very slim. However it is very obviously a bug and you are only fooling yourself into thinking it's not.

The same controversy could be started over a weed in a garden. The definition of a weed is an unintended plant growing in your garden, by this very definition a wild rose bush is considered a weed. Whether you remove it or not is up to you but that does not change the fact that it is a weed.

His point is that the exact same thing is happening on cliff faces. Your legs are clipping through the terrain and instead of simply falling through the world, you find sure footing.
  6. Wolfwood82

If one isn't needed, then why should one be implemented? If, as you say, it gives you more mobility through the air without burning jet fuel. Then wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having jet fuel to begin with?

And if the F ability gave drifters the ability to rocket strait up, and the JJs the ability to rocket strait forward, what would be the real difference between the two? I suppose you can define differences in the mechanics and implementation, but again what would be the real point?
  7. Ghoest

Well if its a minor bug its one that makes takes drifter from being a fun novelty to actually being useful.

Like I said Im not talking about scaling shear cliffs - just steep hills so you have something to jump off of.
    im guessing the devs feel its a feature.
  8. Wolfwood82

-head meets brick wall-. Pretty much said this exactly thing Ghoest. In fact, I've said it at least 3 times now in this thread, one of those times in a portion of a post that you quoted.

It is a bug. Using it is an exploit. However as it stands it probably won't be fixed mostly because the DEVs have bigger fish to fry and because the bug is not harmful to game play except where it relates to jump jets.

If you understood what I just said, great. If not, pretend that I said nothing because it has absolutely zero impact on your life. I guarantee it.
  9. ritual

Nah, it wouldn't defeat the purpose because it would be a totally different thing. It'd just be something to add a little bit more of an "action hero" feel to LA, which is kind of what I see them going for with it.

Like I said, it's not necessary at all I just think it could be kind of cool. In combination it would hopefully be like a better version of this:

The F ability thing would just allow you to have high burst-mobility but it would cost all your energy, so there would be definite tradeoffs. If you're using drifters and press F to go up, you've now down a fast burn straight up and have no fuel, so if you don't hit exactly where you're aiming for you're gonna take damage/die. If you press F wiht the jump jets, it would do a straight burn in whatever direction you're facing, and if you did it from too high up you would die. It'd just be a little extra to help get around corners faster, or help drifters become a little bit more viable in base assaults.

An example of how the F for thrust idea could look, the JJ's would be able to do the horizontal movements with this pack and the drifters would get the vertical.

10. Wolfwood82

Something else I'd like to point out is that it would be a completely different mechanic that does precisely what jump jets do. This mechanic would better serve a class that did not have JJs. LA doesn't need it, that doesn't mean people can't or won't find uses for it (look at DJs), it just means we don't really need it.

As for the thrust idea. The part I quoted was all I was really interested in. The mechanics can be hashed out by the actual programmers, I just wanted to know why you thought it would be a solid addition. And it sounds like, in your opinion, it really just boils down to helping DJs to be more useful. Which is great, but again it really is an overcomplicated mechanic to be added when something simpler and more efficient could be done in far less time.
  11. ritual

No, it's got more to do with wanting to combine the best of the icarus JJ's with what we currently have.

12. Ghoest

We are not saying the same thing.

Im saying its probably not a bug and if it was unintended its probably a feature now because it makes the drifter into a useful thing instead of a toy but isnt over powerd.

You are saying its a bug but the devs are too busy to worry.
  13. Wolfwood82

Bug's don't "become" features. They stay bugs until the coding is corrected or cleaned up.

Your saying it's "probably" not a bug. Care to explain how you came up with that "probably"? Are you suggesting that the DEVs "probably" decided to code in a bonus feature for the DJs that they "probably" just forgot to mention in the equipment description? That this same feature was "probably" coded into the JJs as well? That the DEVs "probably" intended to let players fall partially through the world so that they wouldn't slide down obstacles that the DEVs "probably" didn't want to serve as actual obstacles for people who intentionally gave up upward thrust for an advantage in horizontal thrust?

And now it's "probably" a feature. If it were a feature, it would have been intentionally coded in. It clearly was not. If they wanted to make it into a feature, they would clean up the code a bit so that it wasn't so glitchy (as in, you couldn't climb vertical surfaces with it).

We're saying the same thing. You just want to call it a feature rather then what it is because it's less dirty that way. And I really don't care. I'm saying the DEVs will "probably" ignore it because that's "probably" what I would do with it given a set salary, no chance of overtime, and a stack of other issues to deal with that reaches the ceiling of the next floor up.

The same argument was had over 3rd person view AND decimator swapping back in PS1. The DEVs flat out stated that 3POV was exploited the way it was (which is why we don't have infantry 3POV anymore, yes a developer flat out stated that PS2 would not have 3POV because of that exploit), and "probably" a major contributing factor to PS2 having the class system rather then the free inventory system that PS1 had. Difference is those two points were major issues that the DEVs wanted to change, but found themselves facing life threatening letters from half the community.

This same bug can easily result in the same explosion of whiny community members. And given what it is and what it does, simply is not worth the time, money, or effort to correct.
    Yanno I never got around to trying out the Icarus JJs but now I'm starting to see why they were removed. They literally were super powerful JJs. At least the DJs served a completely different purpose.

Cool... but no, there would be no real point in advancing the JJ cert tree if you had DJs that could do that. Or the DJ cert tree if you had JJs that could do that on a horizontal level. Having level 1 DJ as an extension feature for JJs and vice versa would really be pushing it as it is. That speed makes it far more powerful.
  14. ritual

Sure there would be a point. Drifters would still be drifters, but they'd be able to give you a short boost up as well. Jump jets would be jump jets with the ability to give you a small boost forward. Obviously you'd need to tweak the range on the boost ability, it shouldn't be as powerful as the icarus was. But I think a 10-meter boost button could be enough to make the LA not really need anything else at all. It would compliment the LA playstyle and fits in with the lone-wolf killer image that SOE has stated they have in mind.

It's not the end-all be-all of suggestions, but it's one that more than a few people have brought up. It reinforces the fact that mobility is the LA's strong suit and doesn't water them down with tools that don't really fit their skill set. It's not even really a straight buff either so there shouldn't be too much whining coming from the other classes.
  15. Ghoest

You are not proving point - you are just saying "naw uh' over and over and claiming its a point.

Its reasonable that we disagree in our speculation - but as i said earlier you have no evidence of your position.
  16. Wildclaw

Drifters gives you a constant thrust that is upwards and in the direction you are moving. So being able to move up some sloops that you can't simply walk up is fairly obvious. As such, I would say that the basic climbing of slopes with drifters is intended and in line with physics in general in the game.

Now, it can get a bit ridiculous at times, such as when you crawl up an 80+ degree sloop. But you would basically have to implement special code, making the physics engine less generic to prevent that from happening. And as forward speed slows down to a crawl as the angle increases, there really isn't any huge need for that.
  17. AlienDung

On wall "cling":

I "exploit" that in all games, like Skyrim. It doesn't feel like cheating mechanics at all because, if the movement mechanics were better, your char should be able to use the hands to climb or "crawl upwards".
  18. Achmed20

you still havent posted any official statement about drifter climbing beein a bug.
  19. Compass

Physics-wise, it makes sense. The drifters reduce your effects due to gravity by what, 80-90% because you're hovering?

Now imagine walking most of your weight is counteracted by the jet pack.
  20. ritual

Just to clarify, I don't want them to fix this bug, I use the **** out of it. But when I can shoot you through the other side of the wall you're clinging on... it's clearly a bug.