VS_Craymium_Helmet

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JetSetz, Jul 8, 2014.

1. JetSetz Member

Psview Sample
    [IMG]
    ===========================================

Latest finishing model (http://p3d.in/WZ2cJ)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

=================================================
    Features: Specular Lighting (Hexagons)
    [IMG]

Review and Feedback
    Worked up model
    [IMG]

==================================================
    First concept idea
    [IMG]
    [Old Concept]

INTRO
    -
    -
    First of all, i'd like to finally say HELLO PLAYER STUDIO! And all of the crew! :D
    My real name is Bobby, and famously known as "JetSetz", a VS player on Ceres.
    In short, i'm a young Roboticist age 24 and have been using Blender 3D for 4~5 years now for sole purposes but seems it's come to great use!
    I've read (almost) all the important threads on what to do and how I should portray my work, I understand that Sir TRay has limited time on his hands as a busy guy and so i'll always try my best to reach the maximum of my concepts before I showcase anything, that way he and other designers can have lots of eye candy in one go and I won't have to be spoon-fed on every detail as I design, unless needed, and rather save that for the finish product to be discussed for changes.
    From here i'll try to lay down as much (compact) detail out of my brain onto the table for you guys so please bear with me if my "wall of text" goes slightly out of hand...
    -
    -
    -
    MOODBOARD

1:
    [IMG]
    This first moodboard was to get the overall structure of the helmet and bring in some of the intricate forms between bone and muscle, sockets, grooves and extrusions. But as a principle, I wanted the helmet to look neutral. It shouldn't seem too aggressive nor defensive as a presence on the battlefield. Friendlies would seem glad to have the wielder on their team and foes better watch out. The positioning of the helmet is what defines its stance...
    -
    -
    2:
    [IMG]
    This second moodboard is to give sophistication to the structure and it's a mixture of honeycomb design out of rubber, light blue lumifiber in ways to show that this helmet has a strong power unit and usage. A balance between light shine/gloss and dark matte/rubbery as a material choice.
    The name of the helmet; "Craymium", I might be rectified by people saying it's "Cranium" meaning skull...
    But the logic behind this name is that the "Cray" stands for the super computers that were the fastest ever built for a few years (I don't know if they still are).
    [IMG]
    And the suffix of the name "mium" normally would refer it as a metal and the metal used for this helmet is one I'm researching and will one day create droids to retrieve them (the densest metal), called Osmium.
    Then of course the actual way you pronounce it; "Craymium" is to resemble the word "Cranium" meaning "skull" (mostly the part enclosing the brain).
    -
    -
    -
    -
    MY THOUGHTS
    I've pushed the design to the most I can and stopped at the point where i'll allow it to breathe and let you guys give thoughts and feedback. The helmet is still in parts and I will join/seal them "water tight" once the overall look and feel of the helmet is good to go. I've left it in parts so I can easily go in there and tweak things if needed and it won't affect the overall helmet. I've also left some parts open so I can work with after such as the under-jaw sides and the neck.
    The colour pallet is still yet to be chosen but it's a very minor thing which I can easily change if needed (to purple) but i'm just simply messing about in that and was trying to work with a hint of blue/green in there, mostly 3rd tier colours (dark).
    [IMG]
    -
    -
    -
    -
    CRAYMIUM HELMET
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And here's a typical "Vanu Theme", just in case any of you were wondering...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Those are several images for show. Below is an album of hundreds of images (roughly 300) from start to finish if you wish to dig up more:
    >>>> http://imgur.com/a/M6W4J <<<< [Album]
    >>>> https://p3d.in/4MGTp <<<< [P3D Model Upload]
    >>>>http://imgur.com/a/QAKnr<<<< [2nd Update Album]
    >>>>http://imgur.com/a/c2hIO<<<< [Camo Texture Preview]
    >>>>http://imgur.com/a/qiYT1<<<< [VS Default Texture]
    >>>>https://p3d.in/YiqYS<<<< [P3D Model Updated 21/07/14]
    >>>>http://p3d.in/qX5QG<<<< [P3D Model Updated 04/09/14]
    >>>>http://p3d.in/WZ2cJ<<<< [P3D Model Updated 08/09/14]
    -
    -
    Current stats of the model:
    [IMG]
    -
    -
    Your thoughts, feelings, compliments, feedbacks and critics are all appreciated! :D
    Cheers!:cool:
    ~JetSetz [Passive buff: +24% cooler!]
  2. DeltaNick Member

Looks waaaaaay over 6000 triangles but its not.
    That also doesn't look like the provided texture.
    Looks cool though.
  3. JetSetz Member

Hey thanks! :)
    I've provided the total tris (which is 5150), although yes it does seem very heavy...
    No subdivisions, just played with the model itself to make the best of shading/lighting.
    The texture, I didn't really go into that so much just yet. This is simply colours Vertex Painted onto it so I have an idea of where
    i'm trying to go with it. It's fast, easy and cuts the work down a lot, until I find a look that I like then i'll carry on in that direction. :D
  4. Nicococo Active Member

The overall look of this reminds me of the esper helmet.
    • Like x 1
  5. Steveo Member

Thats pretty damn cool looking helmet!
  6. JetSetz Member

Thanks guys! :D
    @Nicococo:
    I'm a big fan you know.. Here i've made a montage with 11,000 views hit featuring Arctorn's iconic helmet...

If you're telling me it reminds you of the Esper helmet, I must say i'm very proud of reaching that! (I can die peacefully now by that comment)
    Although they are different, it still somewhat falls within the same "Family" of helmet designs like Esper, Cyclopean, Ouroboros and such, which is where i've really wanted my design to be amongst. :D

A little detail I forgot to mention though;
    This helmet is designed in a way that the FRONT of the helmet has almost no lights showing off, mostly reliant on camo and being stealth. Then the BACK is to show an intimidation of the High Technology of VS but most importantly, it's to let friendlies identify you at a quick glance. (This hopefully reduces accidental teamkilling). You might say the back reveals too much, but in principle you should always have your back covered by allies. So you should be safe and focus more on what's ahead. This feedback was from what i've experienced in our battlefields and just socializing with the players, so here's my concept of really upping up the game and making players play sharp.

I've heard all sorts of feedback for helmets ranging from:
    "Too much lights and mirroring, you'll glow like a xmas tree and get all the attention/focus"
    to
    "Too little lights, very dark, I could accidentally teamkill you; mistaken for an enemy"

I tried to balance it out and carefully use both ideas in places where it needs to be... and here's my result where form follows function.
  7. Fuzz Active Member

very neat design, really unique, heres my 2c

- big flat sphere may need some details or something, the PS2View tool will help if you want it mirrored, as its such a strong bit of the hat: , but atm it looks unfinished, even a seem or something along the bottom to break it up?

- the mouth slit is a really neat detail, but may get lost with the final textures (especially if you have them mirrored) so possibly enlarge it a teeny tad or something?

- can we get a untextured, or (Ideally) a version using the UV textures? thatd be cool.

still ive very excited to see what this will look like.

- fuzz
  8. JetSetz Member

9. JetSetz Member

Could someone give me an example on how we are supposed to do our UVs?
    There's a default template that we're supposed to use, but that's a UV for another model... Are we supposed to just use any of the colours of that UV as a reference and apply it onto our model or what?
  10. Fuzz Active Member

use the .tga textures found in the example files (or rip your own out of the game) and then slap them on. its the default helmet U'Vs
  11. JetSetz Member

Wait wat? That's a bit weird... isn't it like; you're supposed to use the COLOURS as reference but you export the UV unwrap into photoshop or G.I.M.P then design it there? Then apply it onto the model? It would look silly if I use that exact same UV of a whole other model (different mould/form) and tried to somehow fit it on... o_O
  12. Fuzz Active Member

im not very good at describing it but heres my UV's. its ulgy and messy but kinda works,

[IMG]

im going to assume theres a better way of doing it, but so far ive not heard anything. (you could unwrap the whole model then place it on the squares: but that means you have a very low detail from the textures. so i just have each individual plate taking up as much space as it can.
  13. JetSetz Member

Alright I see what's going on but that's really really basic and it wouldn't give the detail that it deserves. It's basically the same as a "uniform" Vertex Paint except it's with UV.
    Are we allowed to properly bake our models and create our own UVs, assuming we use EXACTLY the same colours and "theme" of the default UV?
    That would be a more normal approach for me and i'll be able to give it a neat paint job!
  14. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

go to youtube and search "inside the player studio" and watch all of them. no we cant make custom textures you have to use their sheet, and yes it does limit what you can do.
  15. JetSetz Member

Awww :( Yeah, I know what's the job here... it's a shame but I'll try my best to give it as much definition as possible and attempt something that could possibly make tramell zing regardless! :D
    If it's good to go, i'll fill the gaps, patch up the parts into ONE solid, give it the texture then submit it or bump it up for more reviews.
    So surely by today or somewhere tomorrow it'll be done...
  16. eldarfalcongravtank Member

dont be discouraged though. this helmet looks like superb work so far. please continue working on it:)
  17. JetSetz Member

Hey thanks, "eldarfalcongravtank"! And yes indeed I have been working on it ;)

On main topic: New update on things;
    I've gone slightly over the 6000 triangles mark (now at 6083, I don't know if that's going to be an issue)...
    But overall, the model is "sealed" and textured with the way you guys mentioned it should be. Have a look and see what you think...
    I'll submit it today or tomorrow probably, depends... :D

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

>>>> CLICK THIS LINK <<<< FOR 2nd UPDATED ALBUM.
  18. Nicococo Active Member

YOu cant go over the 6000 triangle limit. The submission system wont accept it.
  19. JetSetz Member

Gotcha, i'll give it a trim for submission's sake :cool: 83 tris isn't visually much so there won't be any big changes on the overall look...
    Thanks for the info, I'll get back on this tomorrow, but it's pretty much complete.
  20. JetSetz Member

Update on the Craymium Helmet:
    Reduced amount of Triangles; now under 6000 tris.
    Some subtle/fine changes to the overall silhouette of the helmet (to look a bit more umm... meatier/chunkier/meaner)
    Played around with the looks, just slapped some camos that I could find online (ps2's camos)... Only found about 3, and tried to find a nice "layout" for the camo's look as a texture on the model.

My initial camo intentions were to go like this but I didn't like it that much... (Camo over the head, or GREY PARTS)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Yeap, it looked "alright" to me but I wasn't too impressed so I went with another layout and found this one to be better... (Camo is applied to the PURPLE PARTS)

"HOSSIN-READY" style
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Also i'm really liking the "faceted" look on the skull, makes it look like those textures found on spacecrafts/satellites/astronaut stuff...
    It's just an update to my MOODBOARD ideas and inspiration:
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]

Just feels protective, tough, important, sophisticated... It's a nice texture that works well with something to do with sensors, detectors, radars, dishes, generator, probe and such.

Any feedback? :D