Vanu helmet sketch

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Damocles, Aug 13, 2013.

1. eldarfalcongravtank Member

so many great vanu helmets lately, dont know which one to buy
  2. Tenebrae Member

All of them.
  3. Damocles Member

Update time, got the turn arounds from concept guy and started mesh.
    I've settled on a combination of patch modelling and editpoly w/nurms in 3dsmax to bang out basic shapes. I'll work on it more tonight and hopefully post an image of initial mesh. Barely 10 or so hours in, probably 20+ hours to finish total.
  4. Battleballs Member

Awesome use of design for a helmet. Very "out there" and would make for a perfect addition for the VS style. I have to ask, do you use a touch pad or a mouse to draw these yourself?
  5. Damocles Member

My concept artist buddy uses photoshop and a wacom tablet. I'm using 3DS Max 2014 to model.
  6. Damocles Member

Down to 6300 triangles, still quite a bit of cleanup to do. Then UV's can start.

[IMG]
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

how well does the head fit in there?
  8. Nuntium Member

Nanites
  9. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

that does not answer my question
  10. Damocles Member

I just ran into this. I am going to add the 'neck sock' from the example model, and found that the helmet is too wedge shaped.

It also seems that the front plate is too narrow, I wasn't watching my turn-around concepts closely enough, I'll be making that a bit wider, and doing a bit of massaging with an FFD and some scaling to get a nice buffer between the head and helmet.

I'll post an update later tonight that includes the PS2 head so you can give it a gander.
  11. Damocles Member

Here is the head fit now. Width also has clearance.

[IMG]
  12. ih8Darian New Member

Great work, I'd have to suggest that the helmet should be a darker color of purple though.
  13. Damocles Member

The colors are materials in MAX for a guideline, I haven't hooked up the canonical helmet texture or started UVs yet.
  14. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

15. RINGARD New Member

Hello everyone, i'm very like the concept-art, but "thing" in 3D are very different, and this makes me sad, because original concept have a "magic charm" witch 3D is LOST:
    [IMG]
    1)distance width those 2 elements must be a much smaller and dont bluge out that much.
    2)this element must be bigger, and accordingly "glass" must be are much smaller(this element have greatly big space on "model" propably in 1.5 bigger then on concept).
    3,4,6)These we see how elements non combine width othets, just bluge and disort the original form.
    5)top element and "glass" dont have a line between themselves.
    7)back plates must be a bigger.

Yes i'm know, my enghish is bad, and this post like non constructive criticizm, but i am very like the concept, and to save it i'd try best of my powers.:)
  16. Damocles Member

[IMG]

Reduced to 5636 triangles, mainly from getting rid of tiny or 'pointless' triangles. Fixed up the 'chin' to better match concept and turn arounds. Visor got some cleanup too.

Will be hooking up stock texture next.
  17. Calder Member

With that many leftover triangles you should be able to restore some of the fine detail from the concept art like the visor faceting, the insets around the teal "X" elements on the visor, and maybe the lighting elements around the rear gray cylinders.
  18. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

19. Damocles Member

Photoshopped the helmet into the start up screen for my engineer character. I'm not sure how camo will be applied.
    Is that a 'sony side' UV layer that is added? I used the splotchy purple area from the vanu texture sheet to get the 'basic purple' color.

I also comp'ed in the helmet into other screen shots and see where I might need to burn some tris to get detail back, as suggested by calder.

[IMG]
  20. Calder Member

Yeah, camo is a SOE-side UV unwrap.