Reasons Why Something is Declined

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by TramellRayIsaac, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Cbug Tekshattera Member

when it comes to submitting the mesh in obj format, do the textures have to already be placed on the model?
  2. binarycoder Member

Map the UVs to the provided helmet texture sheet. You can't upload your own. Its in the same download as the base head and sample helmets.
  3. Cbug Tekshattera Member

considering that the UVs wont match with the outlines on sheet, do i just simply have to put them there and organize them conveniently for the devs?
  4. binarycoder Member

More or less.
    Use the large sections of color mostly, but you can use details as well.
    [IMG]
  5. Cbug Tekshattera Member

6. NeoGzus New Member

what does "WILL NOT TRANSLATE WELL" mean??? is it something to do with the size or angle of the piece??? not sure what they meant why my piece was declined
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

if you have a lot of really small details, when reduced to game res, all those details will be lost.
  8. NeoGzus New Member

it was a 3d model tho...hood ornament, not a decal...so not sure if they lose detail? or not?
  9. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

which one was it?
  10. NeoGzus New Member

Digital flaming cyber skull[IMG]
  11. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

are you painting textures for these? cause if you are.. that could be the problem.
  12. NeoGzus New Member

I have textures available...but the requirement for submission was a MESH, TXT and SCREENY....so IDK how I could implement the actual NORMAL MAP and TEXTURE if the ZIP FILE is declined when submitted
  13. Estred Member

This while it looks very cool when placed on the front of a car will only be ~8" tall at max or it would obstruct vision assuming you can drive First Person. Also the detail level is very high with the wisps and when a car is moving it will become very hard to see and it will look like a vaguely skull shaped blob.

I believe that is why it was given the "Will not translate well" declination message.
  14. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

CORRECT

Additionally, you can not add any textures so it would turn into a chrome mass of unknownness
  15. Estred Member

That's a very good thing to remember. If you can't make your own textures keep in mind of what it will look like in it's application.

In Everquest 2 I've had items well under the Tri-Count (2000 for a house item) be declined for Polycount since I could make better use of Topology to minimize the usage. While that's not exactly the same as this hood ornament it is an example of how you should always keep in mind how your model will look or be used "in game"

Noticably a 1267 Poly Table renders no differently than a 640 Poly Table if the extra geo was not used to create larger differences in Silhouette or surface. General rule of thumb I use is if the Extrusion is +/- a full inch of space then it may be worth modeling. Anything less can be done with Normal Maps.

And thanks for the compliment Trammel :D being correct is always good.
  16. MayhemTheFluffyUnicorn New Member

Hi. If it gets declined do I have to pay the tax registration fee again?
  17. Syrah Developer

That's actually a fee to a third party to cover the cost of validating your information against an IRS database. It has nothing to do with your submissions. So, no.