NC Engineer Flight Helmet Concept Art

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by 2mnbars, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 2mnbars New Member

I really, REALLY suck at the entire 3D modeling stuff, but I do have good ideas.

This is a basic little sketch I did of what I would like to make (Not using that helmet, but it looked good for a basis of what I would like to make.)

I am planning on making a flight helmet for the NC engineer, complete with oxygen mask and oxygen tube that (if possible) would go into the engineer's backpack. "Underneath" the oxygen mask would be a ski mask that would take on the camo the player has chosen, along with the sides of the helmet.

P.S. Sorry for bad drawing skills.
    [IMG]

P.S. This idea is for anyone who wishes to use it as their own! Feel free to make yourself a 3D model of this! Just the fact that someone would make a helmet off of my design would be more than enough incentive for someone to have their model in the game!
  2. Bogden Member

I don't think the tube can work as the game is designed currently. The tube would have to stretch and move with the head of the person wearing the helmet.
  3. 2mnbars New Member

Ok, I guess that I could go along with something more along the lines of this type of oxygen mask.
    [IMG]
  4. CakvalaSC Member

That would work easily keeping it attached to the helmet. :)
  5. 2mnbars New Member

Ok, that's great!

Now, for the tough part, which is actually doing the 3D crap.

Does anyone know a good tutorial video for being able to do this in blender.

I seriously just started attempting this a hour ago, and I am having a hard time finding tutorials that help me with making something like this.
  6. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

thats a common mistake.. don't really look for a tutorial teaching you to make something like this. look for tutorials teaching you to make simple basic things and teach you your way around the program. spend a few days or weeks getting to know the program and its features. theres about 5 common things that every 3d package does that are the building blocks of all 3d modeling. and every beginner modeling tutorial will cover them. once you know the basics then move on to more advanced things. its not like baking a cake where you can go in with no experience and find a tutorial and just follow it and end up with a nice cake. take your time don't rush it. don't feel pressured to make something awesome on your first day/week/month.

you are not hoping into a easy weekend hobby here this is something people train years at and earn livings doing.

so that said, start small and have a lot of patience!

hmm now i want to make a cake
    • Like x 1
  7. 2mnbars New Member

Thanks! I wasn't really expecting to get a perfect tutorial, just something along the lines of making a helmet (there's actually quite a few on YouTube) and then doing the same thing but in my own way.

I was really hoping that this video would have a tutorial on how to do it, but I was sadly mistaken. Something like that would be exactly what I was looking for in aspects of the how symmetrical my helmet was going to be.
  8. Margaret Member

Looks like that video is of an older version of Blender, anyway. It is pretty different now. If you've never used Blender before, I recommend starting with a really basic tutorial on how to use/customize the interface (which can be really frustrating to navigate at first). I like the tutorials at Blender Cookie. Like Coffee said, start with something really basic. If you try to jump ahead, it can be really frustrating.
  9. 2mnbars New Member

:p I really wish there was a easier program to do this with, but Blender seems to be the best all in one.

Well, it'll get there when it gets there.
  10. Zulthus Member

As CoffeeOutlaw said, you aren't just going to jump into this overnight; I've been working with Blender for almost a year and I still have a hell of a lot to learn. I don't want to discourage you from modeling, but I would recommend that you start on easier projects to get the hang of it before you move on to complex objects like helmets. Blender is a really fun program to use if you enjoy modeling/animating etc, but it has a learning curve. I'm still terrible at anything texture-related... it's a hassle trying to texture my helmet :S
  11. Margaret Member

Once you get over the initial learning curve, it's a great program that keeps getting more and more awesome with every release. I actually get giddy about it sometimes. Just remember that everything worth learning is a little frustrating in the beginning.
    • Like x 2
  12. JerreyRough Member

Yea, just like any other creative skill, the only way to get good is to keep doing it. Start it, texture it, and finish it. Even if it isn't that good, remember that everyone starts with stuff that doesn't look that good. You don't have to release it, just make stuff then save it somewhere. Come back alter and make a better version. Just keep making things.

In writing there's a saying along the lines that you won't get good until you've written three million words. Now that's a lot more difficult place to get to than the modeling equivalent but the point remains. If you stick to your guns for long enough then you'll make it. Most don't though, and that's why everyone isn't a 3D modeler :).