[NC] Eagle helmet

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Ponka, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Bifron Member

The cartoonish feel may be coming from the fact that it looks more like a face than a helmet at this point. Which I'd attribute to the eye like visor.
  2. McFluff Active Member

I think just avoid the orange or yellow beak completely. also, loose the nostrils
    • Like x 1
  3. Ponka Member

Like asked i reduced the amount of yellow, does this jello up with the other helmets?
    I'm going to submit 2 versions, which one should be kicked??
    [IMG]
  4. Lobstrex Member

Dark grey beak should be off'd imo.
  5. Faven Active Member

Maybe a orange/grey base beak with a blue paintover, just thinking it looks enough like a beak as it is without having to scream it out, you know keep it suggestive;)
  6. Nicococo Active Member

You wont be able to submit 2 color variants of the same helmet. You'll need to choose one and submit. Maybe you could remove the beak and some other piece and then submit as anotther variant.
  7. Ponka Member

If it looks cool without the beak, i could try that, 2 submissions.
    Right now the player studio website doesn't allow me to connect and submit, probably a bug in the french part of the website. The time i get my ticket noticed i'll pump some more helmets/hats

[IMG]

To cut the pie i put some character renders. (Max only because it looks like one of thoses cool Moa birds)

Orange works for all, from afar it looks like a face with brown skin.
    It clash a lot with the infiltrator palette, does this is a pro or con?

Grey is less "attractive", less "look at me!" given the grey, but it fit all classes

And blue, well, could have worked if there were a third shade of blue, dark blue for the back parts,
    mid blue for the helmet, light blue for the beak. I'll still keep this just in case
  8. Faven Active Member

Blue gets my vote. orange beak makes you look like big bird.
  9. McFluff Active Member

I suggest you make the "painted" part of the beak a dark grey, and the rest of the beak a light grey, to add a worn effect. also, the glowing eyes stand out too much as... eagle eyes, I suggest replacing them with a visor.

again, just try ditching the nostrils, and make the seam between upper and lower beak look more purposeful

I suggest something like this (pardon my crappy imgur sketch, but I think it gets my Idea across.)
    [IMG]
  10. Ponka Member

Replacing the eyes by some bars is... weird, adding teeth would make this model looks like a turtle helmet.
    For the beak color, since it's hard to find a consensus on this, i'll send it in its grey color, so that if it's admitable, Tramell can easily find the beak part and change to another color if required.
    So far i didn't heard any negative reactions for the recent pure yellow and leopard NC skins, so that orange, blue or grey beak should not be too much of an issue playerbase-wise.
    I'll add a visor for my next helmet, a VS one (which happens to have teeth, too!)
  11. tahrox Member

I think just making the eyes smaller would help a lot in reducing the cartoonish look.
  12. Nicococo Active Member

I personally like this helmet the way it is now and I could even give you an idea on how you could alter it into the second variant.
  13. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

more helmet. less bird. its almost there, just needs to look less like a bird and more like a helmet that resembles a bird.
  14. McFluff Active Member

YES!!!
  15. McFluff Active Member

the bars where actually my attempt at drawing Shiny lenses on imgur's paint thing, but that didn't work too well..., anyway, the idea was to, like Tray said, move closer to helmet, and further away from bird by removing the eagle "eyes"

again, I suggest you remove the nostrils too.
  16. Ponka Member

Less bird and more helmet, something like that?
    https://p3d.in/tfypT
    I slit the visor like one of the helmets in game, toned down the nostril,
    still need a line the answer the bottom line; and blurred a bit the mouth.
    Is the visor fine like that or is there too much "helmet gold" (orange part?)
  17. McFluff Active Member

I suggest making the visor black, or at least cheating it out as a possibility. also, I would try replacing the line that forms the mouth (makes it a wee bit too bird-like) with some sort of thin rebreather system, which would give the aesthetic purpose, instead of just being an artistic rebel who is skilled at working with metal wants to look like bird man.

also, Have you considered toning down the ear fin a bit? maybe try making it closer to the head and not as long.
  18. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

make the mouth more like optimus and less like a bird beak I think that will give you the bird look without it looking like a bird
  19. Ponka Member

Thanks for the tip Tramell :) i found the one you may be referencing (the movie 2007 optimus).
    Fidgeted a bit with shapes and sliders, still need to swoopyloop the bottom and chin part...
    is this going to the right direction?
    https://p3d.in/fSfKe
  20. Faven Active Member

so much better already, I would bring that pointy bit (in profile) in further..get very rodent-like now.