Should there be multiple starting areas?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

The Devs share their thoughts on the topic. If you want to reply or retweet, visit the Round Table section of the website:

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  2. Ortheus Member

Rut roh, this one will be good. Wow one starting area is sooo popular!!!! :eek:
    • Up x 1
  3. Aazimar Well-Known Member

I would prefer multiple starting areas to establish a feel for the different races. Dwarves, Ogres, Humans, Elves...each should have their own personal style and flavor. I fear the blending of all the races will lead to very bland, boring and homogeneous cities.

I want the races to be distinct from each other in their lore and background, not just by words alone. When I choose to play a dwarf, I want to be immersed in the dwarven life from the start. This will lead to establishing a sense of identity. National pride goes a long way - look at world cup soccer.
    • Up x 39
  4. Danubus Member

I really hope they don't have one starting area. If they do it will be chaos. I've seen this done in some of the chinese MMOs. It was nuts!
    • Up x 6
  5. Noaani Well-Known Member

It all depends on whether or not alts will be much of a thing.

If we can really play any class to its fullest on one character, most players will likely only have that one character (obviously some will want alts for RP or what ever though). If this is the case, multiple starting areas is kind of a waste of development time.

This is especially true if the starting area will continually change to the current RC - if I do start a new character in 6 months, the RC will be in a new area now, so that means a new starting area. That said, as the game progresses, having the option to start at the current RC or in Qeynos would probably be welcomed as some people want to just get out in to the action, while others may want to make an alt specifically for crafting or some such.

I personally only really consider the crowd point to be valid for the first few weeks or so of the game - by then the rate of new characters has slowed down to a point where the content should be able to manage it. I am not a fan of making permanent design decisions based on things that are needed for a few weeks.
    • Up x 5
  6. Elskidor Member

Give us a variety of locations based on class or race. Very simple and always my preference.

I do not like being tossed into one starter area..it's too crowded and doesn't make much sense that every class/race would be coming from the same location, unless that location is a time portal from EQ1 or EQ2, which I wouldn't really like I don't think.
    • Up x 12
  7. Kaifus1 New Member

I'm gonna get beat up for saying this but I think that one starting area might be OK depending on how polished the area is. I would really like to see a grand starting area that has a ton of content. Kinda like EQ2 did starting out but with much more content to accommodate the masses.
    • Up x 3
  8. mouser Active Member

If the starting areas aren't close together you need to be able to pick so friends can start and play together - especially if you want players to try grouping up in the beginning instead of just soloing their way through the first 20 or 30 levels.

Nothing wrong with a froglok or Barbarian starting in Kelethin any more than there is a Dark Elf or Erudite starting in Gorowyn (probably won't be in Next, but you get the idea).

Since there's only going to be Qeynos to start though, I'm not sure this isn't a moot question before it's even asked.
    • Up x 2
  9. Abi New Member

My default answer to most of these is "do it how EQ does it". Multiple starting areas.
    • Up x 7
  10. Scopique New Member

Multi-starting areas for me. I hate re-doing content, and being able to choose different areas when rolling alts makes replayability more attractive to me.
    • Up x 11
  11. Jensen Member

multiple starting areas give a game greater replayability. The longer you go before being forced into the "common grind" the better.
    • Up x 6
  12. Elskidor Member

Ok, where do you get this information? Is there a site that has more details about what the game is already offering? I'd love to read it. I'm not being sarcastic, lol.
  13. Meyna Kingsbridge New Member

I prefer the formula used in Everquest 2 where Good alignement started in Qeynos and Evil started in Freeport......too many choices and you end up having some empty areas because of unpopular races and such
    • Up x 3
  14. Elskidor Member

I kinda figured Qeynos and Freeport might be the only starter locations anyhow, but hoped for a home town option of all races, or a few central hub for the evil and good races.
  15. Meyna Kingsbridge New Member

Yeah that works for low level but once you hit lv10 or so, you are bound to see all those other zones you have been to already
  16. MarvelSeer New Member

Starting zones should always be how a player is immersed into the MMO, they become part of a larger picture. Areas should have information based on the Race that you picked as well as to show the basic gameplay mechanics.

So as long as that is covered Im okay with whatever is chosen... however would love to have different starting areas :)
    • Up x 3
  17. Thea New Member

I definitely prefer that each race has its own starting areas. When I start a new character I want it to feel as unique as possible.
    • Up x 12
  18. Iadien Member

Yes, but the areas should be limited based on factors like race or class.

I really miss unique starting areas. I liked starting out in an area knowing that the area was designed with the race I choose in mind, also that there were stories and content nearby that involve the race I was playing as. For me, those things made me feel more attached to my character, and right off the bat.
    • Up x 20
  19. Akhail Member

Guys this is EverQuest! different cities for different races like EQ1, back to the good old days!!!!
    • Up x 23
  20. Gerret Member

You should have a few selections for starting areas based on faction with one "catch all" neutral town. That way if I want to play with my friends right away we don't all have to be the same race / faction or have to make some crazy epic cross world travel at level 1.
    • Up x 10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.