Owning Property in EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpem Member

Agreed as well. It feeling more and more like Landmark was the "sandbox" and Next will turn out poorly in comparison to how it sounded.
  2. Fluffee New Member

I would certainly love to have a nice little house in a pretty region of the game. But as I wouldn't be the only one to think so, there should be certain spots of open land (with lakes, mountains, fields - beautiful scenery) where players could claim a little portion for themselves and build on it. However, these places should look like some small villages placed here and there, so other players could just walk in, admire the houses and eventually benefit from some merchants that find shelter there. At least that's my vision and whether it can be done or not I don't know :) such housing methods could arise many issues over time. But it should be enjoyable nevertheless.
  3. GameFrogger Member

I just hope we can build in places like a desert or a swamp. I'd like to be able to alter my environment a bit on a PvP server (hoping that exists), so I have a place to go back to and stuff like that.
    If they enforced what materials could be used in a specific area that'd be fine, such as sand and rock in a desert, wood, grass and stone in a swamp.
    • Up x 1
  4. Archlyte Active Member

I imagine there are preserves just like they talked about last year, places that are no-build and have landscapes that are meant to remain wild.

I think that they should make mining time consuming so that a house is easier to build by a good measure than building a fortified keep. It would make it so you could build your stone fort, but it requires a much more substantial effort in either time to mine yourself, or money to buy mats from other players.

I brought this up last year at SOE Live but couldn't get an answer. Basically, wattle and daub should be easy to make, a stone barbican not so much.
  5. RedAngel Well-Known Member

Either way you need enough preplanned space to account of resource gathering, mob habitats, adventuraing space, and player housing. Finding that balance is the hard part. And wether or not we can build anywhere or contest against mobs and players for housing space or build hubs will prolly be during the testing phase when it goes into alpha.
  6. Gaza New Member

I'd just like a home where I can build wherever I want in Solitude! Im a hunter in real life so I would like to feel the same in a fantasy setting. A lone hunter that gets called upon by his friends to fight evil saving his homeland , or something to that effect lol. I like to build things in real life so a log cabin would do me well next to a river or waterfall
  7. Ashram77 New Member

Open world housing and player made towns have fallen off the maps since the days of UO and Star Wars Galaxies. I personally would love to see player made additions to the world back on the grid again.

I think there should be some restrictions to it, as to not interfere with game play. Heavily quested areas, dungeons, POIs, should be excluded from the areas that players can build in. Having set areas though where players can build small towns well away from the cities would be great.

Another thing I would love to see if applicable, would be player vendors at these towns. Players could build small towns in the wilderness where you could sell and repair, and perhaps buy adventuring essentials without having to trek all the way back to an NPC based town/city to perform these functions.

It's been a long time since players were able to interact with the environment like this, and I would love to see it come back again in some way. I just wouldn't want to see player made structures hampering anyone else's gameplay in any way.

I see a lot of good thoughts and plans going into this latest release of EQ. I can't wait to see what you guys deliver on this. I truly hope you guys knock this out of the park!!
  8. Magvadis Well-Known Member

After seeing an interview where Dave talked about land deeds around towns it really got me back into this discussion with some ideas that I think are pretty concrete:

Firstly: I voted the second option because the standard of quality for most in Landmark right now is about at a 4 out of 10. This is mostly due to complex tools and a limited amount of time to get the right look. So I have a system that might work.

Building system:
    Claims will not be shown on the main map unless they are approved by either enough likes (not very reliable as the current like system could easily be thwarted if you just ask your guild) OR devs just parole through builds that say "Finished" on them and then they can display in the real world if they pass. If they are changed outside of props after this "finished" stage they need to be approved again.

You MIGHT even be able to allow approved PLAYERS to do the sorting for you...for free. Or if anything a bit of SOE/ingame cash at the end of the month as a reward depending on how many they approved or disprove. If a player approves something out of theme or bad and it is reported enough times they can be revoked of this ability and mist reapply.

For those players who can't build there would be tons of place-able premade templates for generic housing and stuff in all shapes and sizes. Players choose depending on their resources and the larger stuff that takes up more resources increase upkeep as well as area taken up.

Here's my favorite part...

Upkeep system:

Players would pay ingame cash much like the current system in Landmark (without copper). The trick! Is that if they don't pay upkeep their claim doesn't just disappear but ACTUALLY becomes a part of the environment. Able to be destroyed and doesn't come back. After they are "abandoned" in the world either AI will automatically rush too it or you should make them appear in it to make them miniature adventure areas. Any chests on the plot are given random loot so players can find stuff if they happen across it (depending on the AI in the area...like NPC's would have locked chests but monsters would have more normal loot) first and fight off the mobs that took it OR meet the new NPC's that moved in next door where the old guy moved out.

Players have their resources returned and templates saved as well as items returned to them and they can go back and place it later but they lose their spot unless no NPC's are in the area. Basically a nice little combat punishment for being negligible.

So not only will these housing areas (if you do pick housing regions instead of open world) be for players living, storage, and base of operations but ALSO for really fast moving adventure that is always cropping up nearby for that world of change feel.
    • Up x 1
  9. Talathion Well-Known Member

Yes, in SWG for example houses that were a year old with no owners coming in were able to be raided. When all the items were gone the house vanished back into that players inventory. ((Of course that was a much older game.)) However some really really REALLY cool loot was left by those older players.
    • Up x 1
  10. Fluffy New Member

City areas (eg. inside the walls):
    • Purchase outright (no rent), high price.
    • Or pay high periodic rent.
    • Good security (there are frequent cops/guards patrolling).

Suburban areas (eg. outside walls but close in):
    • Purchase outright (no rent), medium price.
    • Or pay medium periodic rent.
    • Medium security (there are somewhat frequent cops/guards patrolling).

Outlying areas around cities (eg. farm or pasture areas outside the suburbs):
    • Purchase outright (no rent), low-medium price.
    • Or pay low-medium periodic rent.
    • Poor security (there are very infrequent cops/guards patrolling).

Wild areas (way off in the middle of nowhere):
    • Purchase outright (no rent), low price.
    • No rent, unless you're on someone's owned land, in which case you set up a periodic automatic payment to them.
    • No security. Unless you organise it yourself.
  11. Fluffy New Member

Actually, given the nature of the game, I think simply staking a claim in an unsettled area and making it your own is best. There's nobody to pay that way. And most payment things in multi-player games are nothing more than money-sinks, which, like time-sinks, are really pointless. Although common, there's actually no valid reason to have either money-sinks or time-sinks.
  12. Halfwise Active Member

I don't know... I am hesitant to consider much open world building, if any.
    SWG was point out as having a way to self clear the trash.. but even during my brief stint playing, I was met with miles upon miles of empty homes, arising from the land like a disease (or a fungus). All a mishmash of randomness and ugliness.

Anyway, I'd like to see it sequestered and out of sight, severely monitored, or severely limited.

Am I the only one that finds the below image not just ugly, but rather disturbing?
    [IMG]

Maybe its just my personality, but I'd prefer the top half any day. (Image: Manhattan, before/after)
  13. Xenith New Member

I'm hoping it's a mixture of a couple of things: open world building (like SWG had) with strict world rules so if someone goes away from the game for longer than a month, their house and/or resources it took to build it, automatically go poof. The second would be have huge entire contents for house building, per faction. Finally, a huge instanced zone like in Aion. Where the area has streets, vendors, seasonal bosses, farming resources, etc. and seasonal bosses could all drop something unique for housing.
  14. Halfwise Active Member

[Warning: F-bomb gets dropped.]
    [IMG]
  15. Talathion Well-Known Member

Why would bosses drop swords/or any items? Bosses should drop what they are wearing, the hide they have or skin or fats they have to /make/ exotic things. If the boss is wearing a special set of armor he should drop that, which crafters can take and break down to remake '1' of those items. Or you could simply keep the current one he has, of course it probably will have durability damage (1/4 the condition) and not be the color ya want, or other things.

People should build anywhere they want to. However unlike the real world, Everquest is a much more dangerous place. If you build in a dangerous part of the world, expect everything to want to take down your house/building. Yes you can have an area with 100s of structures, then the goblins form an army because they hate them and literally destroy and maybe even nature comes in and destroys them then regrows the plants and makes it normal again.

However saying: Oh they can't build anywhere! No, Sandbox MMOs are about freedom. However that Freedom should come with consequences. You /must/ protect your assets. Which means it would be much easier to build around more populated areas and around or in cities because your assets are way way way way safer.
    • Up x 1
  16. Magvadis Well-Known Member

I like it. The fact that guards are in the area and the new AI will make it so raiders would rather not be there and instead move to a more desirable place fits perfectly.

I hope we can actually buy in game plots already made. So like there are tons of houses in Qeynos that don't have NPC's and you can buy them and they are PART of the town and not just claims on the outskirts you start from nothing on. Once you leave or lose rent it resets to its old look and you get your stuff put back in your inventory.

You could even have to go through a trust thing with the NPC. Maybe you want a cool house in town but the NPC says it's been in the family for generations so you have to win their trust and then they will allow you to buy it. Some NPC's won't part with their houses and if you move out they will move back in. Maybe it's like a sublease system. The more important NPC's that have a say in the town won't sell their houses and I hope they actually have houses and aren't just the npc that walks around at night forever. I hope I can literally follow an NPC through it's day to day.

This system depends on the frequency at which AI would raid. As it may become a losing fight for someone who can't play much but wants a house on the outskirts to always come back and have had their house sacked and have to redo it every week. Maybe instead the AI actually check if the player is on if they can attack. So this event happens more often if you are in a low security area making you want to move to a more guarded area. If there are ruins or a mob spawn area like a orc camp or spider nest you will probably find them trying to get in and invading a lot. You can clear that area though so this doesn't happen as much.

Got my brain moving again on this haha.
  17. Cyclone New Member

I wonder if anyone has ever done snow forteress at school, what happend when you leave it behind...
  18. Fluffy New Member

• Up x 1
  19. DinoTurtle Member

But that doesn't mean that it should happen, especially in-game where the world is much smaller.
  20. Fluffy New Member

Yeah, it's a terrible thing that should not have happened.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.