ZOMG quit randomly replacing things on my hotbars when i level

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Alliera Guest

we use profit ui

However in this thread this happening to players with default ui or profit or any other really doesnt matter
  2. ARCHIVED-Tarsevia Guest

This is UNBELIVEABLY frustrating. It's bad enough when it happens to a characters I've been playing for years and am very familiar with their spells and hotbar layout/locations. I look down, know fairly quickly what's out of place, and fix it.
    However, I just rolled a new class on the EQ2X free server that I've never played before. After a few upgrade levels, my hotbars were all screwed up with duplicate spells and SNAFUeness everywhere. I did a shout out in Level 1 chat and many people were also experiencing this. But the funny thing was a lot of new players were unaware of it. They started discussing it as the vets explained the issue. Then they started realizing how badly their hot bars had become.
    Can you imagine how confusing it's going to be (for noobs and vets alike) on the free server this weekend with the bonus xp and extra leveling that will be going on?
    Good job SOE, way to cater to all these new players you're trying to attract.
  3. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Tarsevia wrote:
    I have a suspicion that if you started EQ2xtenze just around launch that you actually dont get this bug. There must be something in 'older' UI files that cause it to happen. That is probably why they don't see it internally. Again only veterans are affected, and they don't care too much about us right now.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Hmm, I wonder if it is somewhat related to old hotbar numbering (when you only had a primary, secondary, and tertiary hotbar) vs new numbering (when you can have #1 through #10) then?
    If that's the case, then in theory restting your uisettings (by backing up your uisettings xml file) would solve it. You'd have to rebuild your UI setup, but if that was the issue that should be a way to isolate it.
  5. ARCHIVED-NariArinniana Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Hearing this as playing a Fury is horrifying. No one's said anything to me so far my couple days back raiding, but I think I'll be keeping my Salve to myself until this whole bug is fixed. No way I'll make guild members have to find their spells again in the middle of a raid just cause I gave them Salve.
    I'm with the feeling "kill this feature until it's fixed" as well. Old method of spell upgrades worked fine, but this new one is unbelievably frustrating. Upgraded a ton of spells on an alt the other day and needless to say there was a lot of fixing and rearranging I had to do with her hotbars afterwards because of all the stuff that was randomly replaced.
  6. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

We're going to disable that feature in the next hotfix. Unfortunately, that won't be until next week...but it'll go away soon.
    That's the short version. The long version is that we absolutely *know* that this is happening to players...but we've spent hours pouring over the code and can't figure out how it could possibly be happening. So we're just going to disable it for now until we figure out where the gremlin lives and serve it with eviction papers.
  7. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Thank You!
  8. ARCHIVED-Onorem Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Huge thanks on this front. It's unfortunate that it wasn't disabled prior to the xp bonus alt grind/welcome to new eq2x players weekend.
  9. ARCHIVED-Shareana Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=445320&post_id=5408876 Let's keep the posts constructive please. There is no need to be insulting to show how you feel about this bug.
  10. ARCHIVED-drakkenshield Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Thanks!
    Just in case it is useful, on my setup, another thing I've noticed is a scenario like this:
    I have a spell like Meliorate VIII which is upgraded to expert.
    I will gain a level and I get upgraded to Meliorate IX and it will overwrite VIII even though it is more powerful. I fix that.
    Then I'll equip a master version of Meliorate IX and get a message: Not replacing Meliorate VIII because it has been upgraded, even though the master is clearly better now.
  11. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

daynebock wrote:
    It is an upgrade when that lvl 20 spell is resisted a ton because it's lower level than the version you "should" be using.
    I've had many a root resist because I forgot I had it upgraded when I levelled back in the days where you got no new apprentice spells after lvl 50 and I got to the "resistability higher on targets over level x" range.
  12. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

drakkenshield wrote:
    I got this same error message earlier on my dirge, however it had no effect.
    Not replacing harl's (grandmaster) with Harl's II because Harl's is more powerful... I had scribed an Expert, which was in fact a more powerful version, just the chat message was wrong. It DID in fact replace it.
    That was a known bug.
  13. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

I had this happening when I made some new upgrades that I crafted for my ranger.
    I noticed that it wasn't happening to anything on my first hotbar just the hotbars after the first. I have five hotbars total. They were set spinner 1-5 from top to bottom. I also checked the hotbar settings and verified that they said hotbar 1 - hotbar 5, top to bottom.
    Then I closed the last four. I reopened them one at a time. When I repoened them, the bar I had designated as Hotbar 2 appeared in the fourth slot down. My Hotbar 3 appeared in my second slot down. Hotbar 4 appeared in the third slot down. Hotbar 5 went to the fifth slot down.
    So I closed them all again. As I reopened them, I moved Hotbar 2 from the fourth slot to the second. I moved Hotbar 3 from my second slot to the third. And I moved Hotbar 4 from the third slot to the fourth. Then I continued upgrading.
    All of my upgrades overwrote properly this time.
    So it seems despite the fact that I had told the game to make my second hotbar down Hotbar 2, it still was registering the fourth hotbar down on my screen as Hotbar 2, hence why it opened it second. This matches, because the upgrades for what I had as my second hotbar slot were appearing on my fourth hotbar slot. And the upgrades for CAs on my third hotbar slot were appearing on my second hotbar slot.
    This seems to have fixed things for me. I'm going to craft up some more upgrades for another character who's not caught up yet and see if it fixes it there, too.
  14. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Just to add I move my hotbars around so much on all my characters that I know I don't keep them where they end up when they're first opened. I use the Hotbar settings to determine which hotbar should be which, and just reset the spinners if they end up out of order.
    I suspect someone who just used their hotbars exactly as they always opened probably is the reason there are some not experiencing this issue.
  15. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Gwyneth@Najena wrote:
    So if I understand both of your posts correctly, the hotbar number appears to be off, but its putting the upgrade in the correct slot?
  16. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Yeah, it's putting the upgrade in what would be correct according to its settings. So my Hotbar 2 settings *did* go to Hotbar 2 in the correct spot on Hotbar 2 that I currently have my spell in. The game for some reason is just seeing Hotbar 2 in my fourth slot down, instead of the second slot down. Same with Hotbar 3. It was upgrading spells on Hotbar 3. But Hotbar 3 to it was in the second slot, so it was overwriting the spells there.
    Opening them one at a time to see what the game was seeing as first, second, third, etc fixed that issue. I was just going to try out with my templar keeping the hotbars in the order that the game opens them and then adjusting Hotbar Settings accordingly to see if that worked as well.
  17. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Looks like this character used the default positions for hotbars. Her first couple of upgrades worked fine. Then I intentionally messed up her hotbars, changing positions and spinners and the number in settings. This geeked her upgrades up again.
    I closed all her hotbars and opened them 1 at a time. I changed their Hotbar number in Hotbar Settings depending on where they opened. So for instance, originally Hotbar 2 opened and went into the fifth slot. I changed the fifth slot to be Hotbar 5 instead. Then Hotbar 3 opened in the second slot, so I made that Hotbar 2, etc. I fixed the spinners accordingly. I tried to upgrade a spell and it upgraded where it should.
    However, if you close them again you have a problem. Once you close them, they open with the same Hotbar number the game wanted to open them with before and the spinner that they originally opened with.
    Then I closed them all again and did the trick with opening them one at a time and moving them where I wanted them to be. So when the game opened my Hotbar 2 in the fifth slot again, I moved that hotbar to my second slot. And when the game said my Hotbar 3 was the second slot again, I moved that to the third slot, etc.
    Then I closed them again and reopened them. This time, they opened in the slots where I had put them and everything upgraded properly.
    It seems that if we leave them in the slot they open in, we can temporarily renumber them to match that slot. But when they're closed, they reset to the number they had before. However, when we leave their number alone and just move them to their correct slot, those changes stay.
  18. ARCHIVED-melanie66 Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Thank you so much!
  19. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    That's what I've been seeing most of the time. It sometimes gets the slot completely wrong, but more often it's "right slot, wrong hotbar".
    Now, I notice something looking at my UI settings XML. I've got three things in the Window element for my hotbars: the number at the end of the name (eg. name="Hotkey_clone_0"), and then in the child Properties element the bank and keymapping attributes (eg. for my Hotkey_clone_0 window it's bank="3" and keymapping="3"). I'm assuming that the number at the end of the name is a physical hotbar number (ie. Hotkey_clone_0 is the first physical hotbar, _1 is the second and so on), bank is supposed to identify the logical hotbar number, and keymapping is supposed to identify the key used to select that hotbar. But some of these look weird to me:
    • Hotkey_clone_0, bank 3, keymapping 3
    • Hotkey_clone_1, bank 2, keymapping 2
    • Hotkey_clone_2, bank 1, keymapping 1
    • Hotkey_clone_3, bank 0, keymapping 0
    • Hotkey_clone_4, bank 4, keymapping 4
    • Hotkey_clone_5, bank 5, keymapping 5
    • Hotkey_clone_6, bank 6, keymapping 3
    • Hotkey_clone_7, bank 5, keymapping 3
    • Hotkey_clone_8, bank 8, keymapping 3
    • Hotkey_clone_9, bank 9, keymapping 3
    Seems odd to me that the physical numbers are out of order compared to the banks, and that there's a duplicated bank number (5, appears on both Hotkey_clone_5 and Hotkey_clone_7) and many duplicated keymappings. And all the incorrect replacements are happening in the first 4 hotbars (I have 6 visible), the ones where the name suffix and the bank number don't match. Things on the 5th and 6th open hotbars don't seem to have the problem. Is the problem possibly related to using the bank number at one point and then the physical window name at another?
    If I've time I'll start a new character (no experts so spells will get replaced as I level) and note down hotbar/slot the replacement happened in vs. where it should've happened. That might show a pattern.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try to reproduce the problem when I'm back in the office and see if we can get it fixed in time for the next update.