Zero to 80 in... 7 hours?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Calthine, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-The Akulan Guest

wow
    even takes weeks for me to tradeskill up to lvl80 :S
  2. ARCHIVED-Stardrama Guest

I level the good old fashion way.....most of the time. However, when I feel like I've been stuck in one level long enough, I usually search the broker for collectibles and collection myself into the next level. I don't have the funds to do that on a regular basis. But if plat is no object, you could feasible just collection yourself up wherever you wanted to be. It wouldn't be a toon you'd want to actually play, just a a test subject or mule. In the old days, some of us would create mules to hold overflow items we didn't want to sell or figured we'd to keep upgrade a lower toon. But with the extra bank slots, share bank slots, and home slots, I don't think too many people do that anymore...do they?
  3. ARCHIVED-Smirkey_of_Nektulos Guest

I'm confused about something in the Zam article, where they say that collection XP is capped?
    Can someone please explain to me what this means, as I have never heard about it before?
    Like in, how many collections is the maximum, if that's what they're referring to?
    I need to know because I have some crafting alts with a lot of collection quests to turn in, and I'd hate for that to be a waste because half of them didn't award any XP because of some "cap"!
    Thanks.
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Smirkey_of_Nektulos wrote:
    Turn in as many as you want, there's no limit there. It's a level-based cap on the amount of XP you can receive from a collection turn-in. I've never seen exact numbers, but it means that if you turn in a level 80 collection at level 20 you're not going to ding 10 levels from it. Collections still give very good XP, and now you can auto-mentor down to turn in grey ones.
    The point to the statement you quoted is you can buy up cheap low-level collections to get that first handful of levels and get on your way to grinding.
  5. ARCHIVED-Treana Guest

I have to agree, leveling in EQ2 has gotten to be much faster. I created a Conji on September 10th. As of today she is just level 78 and a level 80 Master Armorer, with 107 AA's, after playing a total of 14 days, 10 hours. She had the aid of 50% bonus for both adventuring and tradeskilling from have maxed out alts. During live events the exp/AA slider was moved to 50exp/50AA. She will be level 80 by the time the the Expansion goes live. She still has half of her exp and tradeskilling potions left. I have missed alot of content while leveling her, but then again I have done most of the content with one or another of my alts. In my opinion this fast rate of leveling was great, as I wanted to have a conji on the AB server in time for Sentinal's Fate. However, if I was a relatively new player I would have missed tons of content, especially alot of quests that are fun and challenging. Even having a total of 7 level 80 alts on two servers, there is still many zones, quests I have yet to visit or do.
    Perhaps there is someway to script leveling rates to adjust aside from the exp/AA slider or from turing off exp gain. I do know that many newbies do not know that these features are available, much less on how to use them.
  6. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Treana wrote:
    This is y there are such choices. Yes, if you do not want to pwr level, just change slider to AA 100% and turn off XP. After u finish the zones you want to play in for that level, just turn on the XP again and readjust your slider according to how much you wish to be allocated to AA. Then when you reach the plateau you want, turn it off again and continue your merry way.
    I've done that with 3 of my alts, and I love it. It allows me to level up what I want, when I want and for how long I want. AFAIC, it is the best of the both worlds. Those that pwr level can, and those that don't can. IMO, the adjustments one can make is just fine.
    As for newbies, they learn sooner or later through the prompts while playing, through forums, through friends, through guilds, through new friends online, and even asking in channel. So unless the new player totally stays to themself, doesn't communicate, doesn't ready on screen prompts, doesn't check forums, doesn't join a guild or make friends and only plays solo, then of course, you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.
  7. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Treana wrote:
    I was thinking the same as I ran an alt through the Qeynos newb experience after the XP changes. I'm carefully checking all the tutorial pop-ups, and I haven't seen one about XP-locking or the AA slider. I might /feedback it, as that'd probably be easy to throw in there.
  8. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Eldra@Unrest wrote:
    The problem with that is trial accounts, which are chat-restricted. Anyone on a trial account is basically playing a solo game unless they have friends in the game, and with no level cap it's possible for it to be too late by the time they figure it out.
  9. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

you got any maxed out main character(s), maybe you get extra 10% bonus xp for alts.
  10. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Trial accounts are limited. Peeps who do use them are aware of the limitation. And even so, all have forum access. As you know, many questions on some of these forums come from peeps using trial accounts. Chat is just one form of communication.
  11. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Eldra@Unrest wrote:
    But only about 10% of players know that there even are forums.
    *shrug* Just sayin' that throwing the information in one of those pop-up tutorial boxes wouldn't be a bad thing.
  12. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Calthine wrote:
    That explains so much.
  13. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Calthine wrote:
    and you know that because?....... I never have seen any studies, surveys or such providing 10% of players (new and/or old) know there are forums.
    Please link such surveys..... thanx
  14. ARCHIVED-Grignard Guest

Roboto@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I've been 80 tradeskill for a few months, but I have yet to hit 80 adventure( though I probably will this month) with my main who I have had since 2006, on an account I've had since launch. Its good to know there are other people who aren't there yet who have been on a while.
  15. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

Eldra@Unrest wrote:
    Ask players in game.

When I was in Solo Artist, no one went to the forums but me. And when Tainda came over to Solo, she was the only other one...and tweety and sLide.
    Most of the friends I have in game have never ever even typed everquest 2 into a search engine. They play the game and changes are surprises to them.
    I can't tell you how often in chat I would go over upcoming changes with folks.

Is 10% accurate? It is accurate enough for Calthine's point I believe. Lets say its 30% make it to these forums.

Thats still 70% that dont.
    Lets put it this way...the majority of mmo gamers do not make it to official forums.
    Semantics. I love 'em.
    :p
  16. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

deleted parts for brevity
    Roboto@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Well, guess we have different personal xp.... everyone I know is quite aware of the forums. But once again, it's misleading. Then others repeat it in error..... eventually it gets a bad rap as peeps take it as being the gospel when in fact it is strictly a guess based on personal experience. Calthine's is 10%, yours is 30%, mine is 100%.
    So, to base a point on erroneous anecdotal statistics is a bit pointless. Truth is no one really knows how many gamers actually read any part of the forums, or which part or how often.

C is talking about placing information in those popup boxes in Trials to teach new players various things about the game. Question is, how much information should trial players be bombarded with and which information is more pertinant than others.
    More valuable for discussion rather than anecdotal experience of who looks at forums and who does not or a guestimate that is full of errors, is to list specific items that should be in a popup list for new players and for trials. Of course, I'm assuming you wish to include new players who do not bother to do trials.
    However, IIRC, I was informed of the forums as a new player as soon as I registered. So when I was in the Queen's Colony (no trials), I already knew about the forums and was using them for information. I also purchased a retail version of the game which had information inside about the forums and registration.
    IIRC, there were numerous ? boxes that popped up as I was in the Queen's Colony. And IIRC, if I delayed looking at one, after a length of time, it disappeared. I was fighting and dying and running and dodging, was too busy to stop to look at a pop-up box, so I missed whatever it said.
    Would be interesting if SoE did a research survey on different subjects including playstyle (%time spent solo, grp, less than full grp, instances, raids, live events, crafting, decorating) information retrieval (email, forums, guilds, wom, chat, external chat), and so on. IMO, that would assist greatly in offering ideas for improvement in certain areas.
  17. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Grignard wrote:
    LOL... I have several characters not yet 80 adventure. All are master crafters (80), but only 2 out of 6 are actually adventure 80. I began EQ2 in 2005. And yes, I do play all of them. Not one sits. I have XP locked and slider totally 100%AA. If I decide to move a character up a couple levels, I'll do that, then lock that XP. My characters are at lvls 43, 60, 61, 63 and 2 at 80.
  18. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

I don't have a citation for the 10% number - I've just heard it batted around by various SOE persons over the years. Suffice it to say that "The majority of the players don't frequent the forums".
  19. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Ultani@Unrest wrote:
    Having run lots of newbie alts through the new player experience for various reasons, I can tell you there are still lots of ? boxes that are triggered when you do something for the first time. The content has changed a lot over the years, and they are quite good. As far as I've seen they're very persistant - I've ignored them until there was a line of 10 of them intruding into my screen.
    Of course, people actually have to read the content, too :)
  20. ARCHIVED-melaine_dvarvensplitter Guest

I have a warden that I rolled in 2005 and I had pretty muched stopped playing it for about 2 years and was at level 52 I think it was then I played to about 58 and stopped for about another 2 years....I had when I relogged into it about 22AA's so I was pretty gimped and at the time was going full heal spec, it took forever to kill things, I then got some information respeced and now at 78 and 80ish AA... I do have a couple sub 10 toons that I will try the zero to 80 in 7hrs run just to see how it goes.

I do find it interesting to see how people play the game for different reasons... be it fastest leveling or fastest AA etc..