Why No Vet Reward Makes Sense

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Occam, Oct 30, 2016.

1. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Not really - I am entitled for all vet rewards because I been also like you playing EQ1 since release and so same goes with EQ2. But in reality I been using just a few of vets reward that been proved useful
    Let see what I got so far - bunch of exp portions (yeah I been used some of them to get my alt BL up to speed and made him main), 1 mistmoore estate (just to have house with enough space to upload some house items I got along the way, COV token! - yes this one been extremely useful, 10 years veteran merc and couple crates for broker with reduced broker fee - that's about all I have used. From loyalty merchant - I literally got nothing not counting few temp adorns for raiding. What you about to promote is "second job" should be rewarded. Why? Just cause some no life computer game junky was able waste several years of his/her life starting at monitor? Sorry I do not see this as a healthy notion. I could probably agree that paying duration of been sub making some sense in terms of "fair" or "not fair"
    Aside of fact that I would definitely see better variety of stuff that I can get for loyalty tokens I'd probably see different approach for loyalty rewards. If person been subs for more then 50% of current x-pack - such person entitled for vet reward that comes with next x-pack (but not retroactively)
    What could be seen a reward - I'd say item of convenience that do not break game balance. For one - say universal house item-teleported to all on-land zones - will this brake game balance? - hell no will everyone like that? - most certainly yes.
  2. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Let's get real here....how many of these "someone who played for one day, then hasn't played for 12 years can log in a get the latest vet reward" are there going to be? One? Two? yeah, that's game breaking and we should change the whole system for those 2 people because they might get some items that I have acquired and I might lose my feeling of superiority. :confused:

It was nice that EQ2 showed appreciation for those that have been here thru the years even if breaks were taken. Why some people are so fearful of someone who (in theory only IMO) get some of those rewards is nuts. There you have it, my thoughts on the subject.
  3. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Alot of what is being argued is really semantics. The vet reward system isn't what it used to be, though the idea of rewarding people for playing is a good thing. Why have two systems..one where things are picked for you, like it or lump it. OR the loyalty vendor where you pick what you want. Accept the idea that the devs have decided to end the separate vet reward program and embrace the one still in game. But, if you aren't seeing things you like, suggest them. I find the devs take well worded suggestions quite nicely.
    Finora likes this.
  4. Mugwort Active Member

Veteran Rewards were introduced in Live Update #16, November 9th, 2005.

Veteran Rewards

- To celebrate the first birthday of EverQuest II, we're thanking our players by introducing Veteran Rewards. These rewards are items given to our players based on how long their EQ2 account has been active.
    - The Details tab of the Persona window now shows how many days your EverQuest II account has been active.
    - For example, if you subscribed to EQ2 for 3 months, unsubscribed for 2 months, and subscribed again for 3 months, you would be considered a 6-month veteran. If you had a standard EQ2 account for 6 months and switched to Station Access for the next 6 months, you would be entitled to a full year.
    - Please note: Subscribers who have switched between a standard EQ2 account and Station Access may only see the number of days the most recent account type has been active in the Persona window. However, the cumulative subscription time is being tracked and your rewards will be awarded correctly.
    - Players will receive a notice in their chat window when Veteran Rewards are available to them. They can be obtained by using the /claim command.
    - Subscribers will receive all reward tiers for which they have qualified. For example, someone with an account that has been active for at least 6 months will receive the 6-month, 3-month, 1-month, 1-week, and 1-day Veteran Rewards.
    - IMPORTANT NOTE: Veteran Rewards can be claimed on up to 3 characters per account, so be sure which characters you want to have access to these items.

Source: https://www.everquest2.com/news/imported-eq2-enus-631

The "Please note: Subcribers who have switched between a standard EQ2 account and Station Access may only see the number of days the most recent account type has been active..... (etc.)" had also introduced glitches where the actual paid subscription time was never calculated properly for some players.

It is not known exactly why some continued to accumulate Veteran days while others didn't while not subscribed and why those who did subscribe and switched between StationAccess and individual accounts never got a correct tally.The fix was giving the days to everyone. Some speculated it had to do with stopping the emails. Yet, some stopped the emails and were no longer subscribed and still accumulated days.

Personally, I view myself as an SOE Veteran. SOE no longer exists, but still represents an era of the game. Daybreak has not taken away the SOE Veteran Rewards (yet). Daybreak still honors SOE Veteran Rewards by allowing us to still claim them on any newly created character. To me, Veteran can also mean an era. I am glad I was a part of the SOE era and I am sure that Daybreak is trying to find ways to retain our loyalty to the game. But the SOE era is done and over with. Time to move on.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

Actually here's 2 articles (couldn't find the actual announcement from Smoky).
    https://www.engadget.com/2011/12/09/soe-makes-eqii-veteran-rewards-available-to-f2p-players/
    https://mmofallout.com/veteran-rewards-for-free-players-sony-breaks-the-rules/

It was about that time that it switched so that it counted (retroactively) from the day you opened your account, though it had been doing that all along for some people.

Couldn't have said it better. They said 3 years ago they were phasing out veteran rewards. They've taken steps towards that with the last couple of veteran rewards we received (a house that was also a marketplace item & a years worth of loyalty tokens). Now this year they've announced there will not be one and they are going to be adding new stuff to the loyalty merchant.

As nice as it is to get stuff just for having an account, it's all in all a better system for them to reward those who are actually playing & presumably spending money on their game. I didn't pay for the past 12 years for whatever little vet reward they put out just like I didn't pay for EQ1 from 1999 for little vet rewards (which they didn't have for a very long time btw). I paid to play the game. When they went F2P I kept paying because I liked what I got for my money.

The vet rewards were always appreciated (especially the mercs, I love those guys), but like Mugwort said, time to move on.
    Xakrein likes this.
  6. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

While I am disappointed that there won't be any future vet rewards, what i am more concerned about, is history. Shortly before Vanguard "sunsetted", it was announced that they were discontinuing veteran rewards, and that after a certain point, you couldn't /claim them anymore. They then put all the vet rewards on the marketplace so people could buy all the things that-up to a week beforehand-they were free to claim. I am really hoping that that's not the case here.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

I played Vanguard as well, and this just doesn't feel the same.

Like I said, they told us 3 years ago when they introduced the loyalty tokens that those were going to replace Vet rewards & the old style vet rewards were being phased out. As far as I know we'll still be able to /claim , but I honestly haven't looked into that part much so I could be wrong.
    Xakrein likes this.
  8. Airvh Active Member

The ONE vet reward that has really helped everybody in the game has been CoV. If they made a way for people who don't have it yet able to get it by spending loyalty tokens that would be great. Even if they made it act slower than the normal one, like every hour instead of half hour type setup. It would still make a huge difference for tons of people.
    Lojaak likes this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

Hehe or they can put in a loyalty merchant conjurer mercenary that will do Call of the Hero.
  10. Xakrein Well-Known Member

As you touched on in a prior post, the change to Veteran Reward time was due to complaints from FTP users. As one would expect, it was the crowd of FTPers prone to saying "a slap in the face", who loved to imply the FTP system opened the floodgates to their unlimited wallets (but did not subscribe!), claimed to feel discriminated against because their FTP accounts did not accumulate veteran time.

As for references to when the change occurred, I have to quote EQ2Wire for this one...
    http://eq2wire.com/2014/01/25/veter...count-start-dates-regardless-of-subscription/

"In an unexpected (and undocumented) change today, it appears that players are now receiving Veteran Rewards from their account’s opening date, rather than actual time played as it has been calculated for many years now."

That may be why you found it difficult to find an official announcement. It was undocumented.
  11. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

Really don't care either way since I have quit, but would the obvious answer be why not both?

Would it negatively impact anyone to have an anniversary gift and vet rewards, you could have avoided the **** storm of people complaining, and how hard is it to throw vets some vet tokens or something? Hell im sure people would have been satisfied with a hat or some **** since decorating and dressing up is 90% of the gameplay here.

Regardless the 12th-anniversary-reward-mount is freaking hideous...
    Dude likes this.
  12. Xakrein Well-Known Member

You and I must have a different measure of the capacity for people to complain, no matter what DBG does. While you believe some random hat would have made things better, I believe it would have made it worse.

For simple evidence, look back at all the complaints regarding the last 2 veteran rewards. There is actually less complaining about veteran rewards being cancelled, than there was about the 12 year reward.

Why not both? Because the vet reward system is broken and defunct. It was time to send it off into the sunset, to make place for a superior system that is more accessible to anyone currently playing the game. And that is coming from someone who started playing EQ2 in 2004.
    Tohopka and Finora like this.
  13. d1anaw Well-Known Member

So do you tell the utility company, the phone company, the water company and every other company that you've done business with over the years that they OWE you some token for that? hahahaha I'd like to see that.
    Tohopka and Xakrein like this.
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

Have any of those companies given out a loyalty reward every year for the last 11 years?
  15. Ashandra Well-Known Member

Ya if you stay with companies a long time you quite often get discounts and stuff at least thats how it works in my country champ.
  16. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Quite often??? Not always?! Talk about a slap in the face! What kind of backward country would allow such? You should rally people to the streets and protest such vile, despicable and inhumane treatment. Perhaps consider contacting the UN, as it may be considered an international crime.
  17. Malvolio Member

If they couldn't expell the effort to flat out announce they were stopping them instead of off mentions in a random post reply long after a reward was overdue and a year after a phoned in reward they certainly couldnt expell the effort to program in a new one.

They are far too busy designing Kawaii themed mounts for the Anniversary Event and Beta Participation. What better way to celebrate EQ2s anniversary and to test out a new Expansion while simultaneously showing support for the Care Bears. And in true care spirit everyone can join in regardless of account or personal age.
  18. towerston11 New Member

I don't think insulting people that could be the future for your game is the best idea, especially if it's filled to the brim with fallacy and misinformation.
    Meneltel likes this.
  19. Adevil Well-Known Member

Totally incorrect. It is not regardless of account. Your account must have pre-ordered Kunark Ascending to "test out" the new expansion.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

Bull-loney....some of us vets simply don't care about digital fluff. Same reason I never even once bothered with LON stuff or bought anything more than basic expansions. I dare you to define "real" rewards in any case...cause one man's junk is another man's treasure. No matter what they give away, someone will always gripe about it. So, why bother?