Why do monks have slashing and piercing skills?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-lisasdarren, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-lisasdarren Guest

I know that monks can get slashing and piercingweapons, from the FAQ, but that they use the crushing skill. Since this is the case why do we get the slashing and piercing skills in our skill list to just sit there and remain low for ever?
    Message Edited by lisasdarren on 06-12-2005 01:37 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-sglanton Guest

because they havent updated the skills list maybe?
  3. ARCHIVED-Dooyas Guest

Most likely because if they changed it all to be crushing skill then a monk would be worthless when it comes to mobs that are immune to crushing. So they gave us 2 extra attack types that we can use on some mobs.
  4. ARCHIVED-lisasdarren Guest

That's really not the point, we can do all 3 damage types using our crushing 'skill'

Why do we need a slashing and piercing skill that we will never ever need to use?
  5. ARCHIVED-Dovifat Guest

Some slashing/piercing weapons used to check on those skills. At some point they were all rolled into crushing. Not sure why they left the skills in, then again i can't see an issue with that either.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mumar Guest

Im pretty sure it doesnt go by crushing at all, at least not for me. The weapons check your fist skill (not crushing) and from there it can either be crushing, piercing, or slashing dmg (according to the weapon type). As for your actual slashing and piercing skills it was prob left over from the short time you actuall had them as the archtype fighter.
  7. ARCHIVED-IrulanDunedancer Guest

Fist skill doesn't affect your accuracy with your weapons, it merely affects their damage and whether or not you can use them. Crushing/Slashing/Piercing/Ranged affect your accuracy, which is why Fist is always at your level cap and Crushing has to be worked up.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Its a holdover from the fighter days, when you have them to skill up before deciding what class/subclass to go to; and also at release each skill used to be checked individually.

Now its just damage type, but all checks go to the crushing skill.
  9. ARCHIVED-Durama Guest

Primarily so that we can still be efficient in Epic encounters. Some monsters are immune to Crush, so that Legendery crafted piercing weapon will hit when your trusted crusher will not. It's a good idea to get 1-2 of every type of dmg making you that much more versatile in an Epic encounter. Enjoy!

Durama
    50 Monk
    Permafrost
  10. ARCHIVED-Almeric_CoS Guest

Has anyone ever made a chart of which weapons do which damage types? :)
  11. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Cestii - slash
    Cestus - peirce
    Everything Else - crush
  12. ARCHIVED-Almeric_CoS Guest

Oh...I guess that's simple enough :p
    I long for the day when they put out a line of weapons based on the Martial Arts skill instead of staff/flail/etc.
    There's no reason why we monks shouldn't be able to use certain types of swords and spears, along with other things like REAL nunchaku or sais.
  13. ARCHIVED-Squidwalker Guest

As Gage said there are weapons the monk can use that do slashing and peircing damage. These skills started to go up when you were leveling up to 10. But unless you get those two types of weapons said by Gage they will not go up. Crushing is not tied to them at all. They are totally seperate, just like any other fighter class. They are there for the reason of mobs that are highly resistant to certain damage types. Now wouldn't it piss you off to be a MT in a group and get to some mobs that were very resistant to crushing?
  14. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Actually that is no longer true. Our to-hit is based off crushing and we can no longer skill up slashing or piercing skills at all, only crushing. So while say having cestiis equipped will enable us to do slashing damage, everything is still based off our crushing skill.
  15. ARCHIVED-grindell187 Guest

even if it is based off of the crushing skill, doesnt it still do slahing or piercing damage and not crushing?

grindell of permafrost
  16. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

Correct. A spiked cestus will check your crushing skill to determine whether you hit and will inflict piercing damage on your target. A cestii will check your crushing skill and will inflict slashing damage.
  17. ARCHIVED-Eleutherios Guest

I don't know if you have Noticed..... But the Katars , Cesti , and Cestus ..... Are blades and spikes. Pretty sure you stab and slash things with those.
  18. ARCHIVED-stfields Guest

I know the slashing/piercing skills in our skill list are "legacy" from before some code changes... but simply put "SHHHH!" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sorry, but we are dealing with developers that put code up on the servers that crash them... and god knows what else.

Just leave it how it is. Ignore it.
  19. ARCHIVED-Almeric_CoS Guest

As my guild starts looking toward the raiding world, meaning big boss mobs, I wonder:

I know bosses sometimes have immunities to some weapon damage. Do they ever have immunities to more than one type? If there's a max of one damage immunity on any given boss, then I guess I would only need to carry two sets of weapons, right?
  20. ARCHIVED-stfields Guest

From my experience, they are immune to only one type of damage (might be resistant to magic type spells though as well). From a monk perspective, bring 2 sets of weapons. As long as you can do any two of crushing/piercing/slashing, then you will always be covered.
    In the future, they might change it to make it 2 immunities; you never know.
    Also, don't forget to keep stock on which combat arts are crushing. When fighting crush resistant mobs, do not use Icy Talon, Freezing Palm or Diving Dragon (forgot level 50 equivalent) as those are all crushing.