Why do I keep getting One shotted with Tsunami up?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-mr23sgte, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-mr23sgte Guest

I'm pulling for raid:

1) Pop Tsunami
    2) Pull with ranged
    3) Hit Revive

Anyone else seeing this?
  2. ARCHIVED-Microphage Guest

I see it a lot, but I use body pulls. I think their CAs are doing it. The good news is that if I screw up and get more than one group I die so fast I don't even need to FD.:smileytongue:
  3. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

You have to be in combat for ripostes to work since the last update. Target yourself and enter combat just before popping tsunami and body pulling.
  4. ARCHIVED-mr23sgte Guest

Shouldn't I still "parry" 100% of attacks if not in combat?
    Besides I usually pull with a ranged weapon - which should engage me in combat - maybe its the mobs CA's ....
  5. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

Two possibilities.

1. You're getting nuked - tsunami does nothing against magic attacks.
    2. You're getting hit with a CA that hits for physical damage - this happens to me fairly frequently through tsunami.

For the first problem, alway always use both Tsunami and Outward Calm. Most raid MoBs will not nuke you for so much that they blow through Outward Calm and all your health.

For the second problem, make sure you have backup armor and plenty of plat for repairs. :smileymad:
  6. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

1. Tsunami currently (due to a bug) does not riposte or does not even parry from anything at all if not in combat. You can try this against blue solo mobs even

2. Tsunami description says "ANY MELEE ATTACK" and that includes combat arts (does not matter what type of damage they do, cold heat whatever) and also auto-attacks. Tsunami used to be that and was working like that. With latest patches, even auto-attacks can pass it even heroics (let alone raids) (I wonder what type of dice can pass 100%)
    Message Edited by selch on 08-04-2006 04:24 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

What you say is true, Selch, but the OP is correct that his ranged attack would initiate combat, so the bug can't be the problem.

Even before the anti-riposte patch that created this problem, I would occasionally get one-shotted through tsunami by physical damage CAs from raid mobs. Are we certain that ANY MELEE ATTACK includes CAs? (We can all agree, I'm sure, that it SHOULD, but does it? :smileywink:)
    Message Edited by Morrolan V on 08-04-2006 04:40 PM
  8. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

[IMG]

No it does not... but as you said it should...

"Riposte all Melee damage from front"
    "Parry all damage from behind"

So according to this explanation, Monk should riposte "all melee damage" that would include auto-attack, CA's and whatever from front. Parry "all damage", since it does not clearly say "melee" or "not" even from other directions. Since parry is something about melee attack, I'm not getting into discussion if nukes in range of tsunami or not with the word "all damage", however, it says "DAMAGE", so CA damage, auto-attack damage should not matter here which is clearly stated in Effects part "All Attacks"

You know what is currently [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]ing us up? Not all CA's are "csp" damages. Like our Arctic Talon etc. are cold damages BUT in the end, they are MELEE attacks. So considering mobs using CA's very much, should we really depend on WIS for that?

It seems "melee attacks" that are C/S/P based using our "WISDOM" to take resist or mitigation or what? Then you can think, nah, if so, plate tanks would obviously take a notice that.

Message Edited by selch on 08-04-2006 05:16 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-HydroTsunami Guest

Teejay asked why the forum is so dead, I think this is one of the culprits =p

LOL Yeah I've been at work/work at home too and haven't gotten to play in a few weeks/months or read the forum. Coming back to the game and reading the forums... WWOWV is all I can say. Especially after

Fix me Fix me Fix me!
    wimpy wimpy wimpy!

Lets see this atleast somewhat fixed lol. if not fix the combat problem if not intended atleast fix the dice 100% on all melee attacks, should be just that! Period.
    Please don't word/nerf this.. or i'll consider canceling my account like I did all my SWG ones. I will never betray to a bruiser I played a monk in eq1 since day one and it is just not even a resolution/answer to the many problems that is the monk. come on!
    Some stuff obviously isn't right hopefully this is one of "the things you will supposedly be looking into *cough* for brawlers*cough* avoidance *cough* *cough* I can't cough anymore..
    Like I sated in other thread I don't want special treatment. I just wan't my CA to act as the description says LOL and my class doesn't wear plate for a reason.. to avoid plain and simple. I don't want to MT no. I do want my class to act as even the text on CA's and other stuff to work as intended though and not buckle like a tin can. This has been stated in other posts by other monks... that is all...
    Message Edited by HydroTsunami on 08-05-2006 10:40 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Perfidious1 Guest

face it... the devs have left us abbandoned...
  11. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

No, they are just busy with perfectising bruisers they play :D
  12. ARCHIVED-Perfidious1 Guest

hehehe
  13. ARCHIVED-HydroTsunami Guest

Hmm after long time reader and thinking about it.. hmm no wonder Mr. Gaige betrayed to bruiser... seeing as how he was a die hard monk.. hhmmmmmm
    It does wonder me sometimes about the devs.. lol.. sigh...
    It's obvious we're not at the top of the list.... Thankfully the cancel button isn't too far away though =p...
    I will wait it out and see if the right thing is done if not *shrug* i'll move on.. I'm learning soe isn't eq1 anymore and are majorly slacking in aspects when it comes to games.. I won't contiue to shell out money for nerfs and boorked class for long.. no matter how much I love it...
    ala SWG--etc lol..... mm anyone who's played a few knows what I mean. Anyways rant off...
  14. ARCHIVED-Kainsei Guest

I'm waiting for these new AA that will com with the next expansion.
    I hope we'll gain some tanking oriented AA (mit buff ? stoneskin ? hain gain ? there is a ton of possiblities for us).
    I've been lvling a zerker but I was bored to death. It's waay too easy to tank with warriors. :smileysad:
  15. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

Monk tanking no different than others after changes of our 2 stuns being changed to useless junk, 2 main stuns are dumbed down like all other classes, only difference plates go into battle with their constant numbers, we go into battle praying to Murphy and I would not call that a challange to us (you die or you live), it is just challange to healers.
    Message Edited by selch on 08-07-2006 07:21 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-HydroTsunami Guest

lol more AA's? Not the answer..
    If I don't see some headway with the monk class I surely won't be dumping more money into another expansion. By that time it'll probably be more like what no fix? Expansion.. out.. hello cancel button lol..
  17. ARCHIVED-Cirth_Beer Guest

I'm starting a swash :p (wouhou lvl12 ! :p)
  18. ARCHIVED-Kainsei Guest

Seriously, asides from mitigation AA, I can't see any other way to make us better tanks. (don't misunderstand, we're pretty good tanks for all heroic content).
    Well, they could fix avoidance issues or the way raid mobs hit... but we're all aware of soe way of doing things, I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Lol, you traitor !
    At least I lvled up my brig only for tradeskill. :smileytongue: .

Message Edited by Kainsei on 08-08-2006 05:45 AM
  19. ARCHIVED-Cirth_Beer Guest

Lies ! :p
  20. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

I think problem with Tsunami is that it does not give automatic parry/riposte. All it does is give 100% avoidance with 100% riposte for frontal hits.

What this means? It means that all those unavoidable CA's will go through Tsunami whether the monk is in combat mode or not.

For example my parse from labs showed that within 3 seconds, I riposted 3 hits and was then oneshotted with 9,8k slashing damage by a trash mob I was pulling. I had Tsunami and the ward up. But I guess that CA was something unavoidable. This is either a bug or crappy game mechanism since it means that plate tanks will survive that kind of pull even if he gets hit all 4 times while a monk will die even with Tsunami due to single unavoidable CA and low mitigation.