Which tank is in better shape?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Boldac, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Boldac Active Member

I've come back after about a year of being gone and I find myself feeling all newbie-like. I have a stable of 90s, to include a zerk, brig, and inquisitor. I'm looking for the best duo partner for my wife's dirge so I'm leaning toward the tank with merc heals.

I'm also just considering leveling a paladin to get back in the swing of the game.

My question is, which tank is in better shape now?
  2. Netty Member

Tbh its all about what you want to do really. If you are just going boxing do a few heroics and solo most of the time i would say any tank but guardian. Tbh a guardian can do that aswell you will just find it easier on any of the other tanks.Pallys are in great shape atm. so if you want to roll one up do so.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

As Netty said, it's about what you want to do.

For EM heroics, any tank is fine.

For HM heroics and raids, the single target tanks have better tools, that being Monk, Guardian and lastly (imo, could be wrong) Paladin.
  4. Boli Active Member

You are not wrong, and it is far from "lastly".

Thanks to Prestiges a Pally is as defensive as a Monk/Guardian - better in some way less so in others. The only issue is we are bound to one side of the tree in order to get the same benefits as the other two get from previous updates.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Normally I am always on some level annoyed at the "ease" crusaders get but to me I don't mind the new paladins. Tbh Guards and Monks have some more control over their stuff. (please keep in mind I am a bit tank-bias as a Guardian myself) That aside though crusaders are the easiest to solo with a merc. As someone above said just because you CAN solo current (or skyshrine) zones on a Guardian doesn't mean its easy.

If you are just coming back and want to tank with a merc/your wife's dirge I would highly recommend a Paladin or Monk/Bruiser for you specially since if you are a paladin you and the dirge both have rezzes you can cast in combat provided Stonewall is up to keep you from being interrupted. Have fun though.
  6. Shatner New Member

So I just bought EQII last week, I know right, and I've been playing an SK. I played SK's in EQ and figured I could tank with it and solo easy enough. My question is, on the few tank threads on the boards I never see SK's even mentioned. Am I missing something? It seems like there are some decent defensive abilities and spells. Are SK's so out of the loop as tanks they don't even get mentioned? I could re roll as a Pally if SK's are irrelevant...

Sorry to noob up this thread, thanks for any suggestions
  7. Shatner New Member

Not sure why n00b is censored. Haha
  8. Luhai Active Member

SKs are fine. For mass slaughtering stuff they're pretty much the best class out there. But as already mentioned there are some tank classes that are more suitable for MT position than an SK, although we've got some decent def tools, too.
  9. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Monks are still the best tanks, but all the other tanks are still great.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

Good to know.
  11. Brickfist Member

It doesn't matter, in a couple of months whatever tank is 'the best' will get nerfed to the point it's 'the worst' and the new 'best' will be the 'so-so' that avoided the nerf bat.

TBH, just don't start with a tank, go brig. At least that way you know you'll always get the shaft and won't get your hopes up.
    ZachSpastic likes this.
  12. Obano Well-Known Member

Guards and then Monks are probably the best single target tanks for MT position. For the OT position it would be SK, Pally, Bruiser, and then Berserker in that order. What is actually the best tank more likely comes down to what encounter is being pulled and player skill.

In terms of recklessness dps, who would be the highest damage fighter? bruiser, sk?
  14. Davngr Well-Known Member

sk by far (skill/gear/group) being equal but zerk got some huge damage boost. i'd think zerk would be right up there with sk now but have not played my zerk in raid nor been in raid with any zerks as of late.
  15. Brickfist Member

Yup SK by far, especially in AoE fights. Seen our SK pull insane numbers over the warlocks in aoe fights in raids.
  16. Netty Member

Zerks did get a boost aye but tbh sk:s and brawlers still parse more. So that zerks would be up where SK:s are in dps is far from true.
  17. ZUES Well-Known Member

In reckless, equally geared bruisers and zerkers run circles around SK's. Zerker without a doubt has the best short burst DPS because of Insolance and Cleave. But in a long sustained fight with consistant add respawns, a reforged bruiser reigns supreme. Even a monk reforged into AE Auto can do some insane AE dps (2 mil+). I've seen both brawlers consistantly parse over 3 million on AE fights but have only seen a zerker do it once (in UD). Never once have I seen an SK pull those numbers in heroic or raid content; and my former guild leader (MT/OT depending on fight - mentioned for obvious reasons) was one of the best geared SK's in the game.
  18. Netty Member

If you are getting out parse by a zerk on a bruiser in reckless you really need to shape up.... Both SK and bruisers are ahead of berserks in terms of dps.Combo does WAY more dps than anything berserks have. My slash damage on aoe fights is normaly around 170k+ so not sure what super special weapons you are using. short burst dps fights... Use combination better then. Since that proc alone does ALOT more on the aoe fights than cleave or insolence. GS does alot more than those 2 aswell. Im not sure what type of fights you are talking about? 2 secs fights?
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

He could be talking about Vyskudra the Ancient... I could dredge up my parse where I did 4.2 million dps on Estred (A Guardian as my tag says) So yes please I would love to see these fights where you have these classes breaking 2 and 3 million on fighters and boy I hope that your real T1 is doing 5 million.
  20. Netty Member

Hes probly talking about trash fights. And tbh i can spike abit high on them around 1,6mil+ on my zerks but then it has to be a huge aoe fight.The lag do ruin it abit tho. 211k was what my slash was on last night so i still like to have a awnser on what weapons you use to get auto attack to do 2mil dps.