What's this all about? (bow changes)

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Neiloch, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Daenee@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    lol gd someone saying what i said but with more brevity. Yes make our awesome melee Ca's reach 20 meters kkthx.
  2. ARCHIVED-ZMANN1000 Guest

So please explain to me how this is going to effect rangers in pvp? There arguably the best pvp class in the game, they can hit players harder than anyone else.. so please how is this going to effect pvp?
  3. ARCHIVED-Lodor Guest

Rangers arent even in the top 5 pvp classes now days, lol.
  4. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Xelgad wrote:
    80k auto attacks means I'm betraying back. Will be nice to afk through raids and still parse top 3.
    The pendulum swings again!
  5. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Striikor@Nektulos wrote:
    I've raided top end extensively on both and ranger is easier. Nothing about ranger is challenging and you don't lose out on almost half of your parse because stealth gets interrupted. Its not even comparable.
  6. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

So, maybe this is the wrong place to bring it up, but... (hey, it's a bow, so...) are we ever gonna see our Mythical buff changed to something useful to compensate for having the minimum range stripped?

A chance to proc 60% arrow conserve isn't exactly in the same league as, say, 15% Passive Flurry. (Assassins)
  7. ARCHIVED-Boise Guest

Xelgad wrote:
    First, there are no rangers that are doing 20% dps auto-attack w/ their bows. I have not seen on ACT parse to prove me otherwise. Second, rangers "normally" do @25% auto-attack w/ bows, and you are giving us a 10% boost? So, now we will be more dependant on our bows than ever while our CAs fall far behind.
    I just feel this whole update for rangers is all about bow damage and nothing else. This "quick" fix will probably bite all rangers in the rear in the long run.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Boise wrote:
    Why don't we see wait to what happens this may be the first step.
  9. ARCHIVED-ZMANN1000 Guest

Lodor wrote:
    You either don't pvp, or have never seen a good ranger in pvp.
  10. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

Ok... so my ranger is currently the main character I'm focusing on, however I will admit my eq2 knowledge is more broad in the overall game than it is deep in one specific area such as the ranger class. I do have some suggestions though that I think are beneficial.
    If a ranger is truly going to become more ranged focus, why have stealth melee attacks at all? I think the abilities Sneak Attack, Emberstrike, and Ranger's Blade should be adjusted in some way to make them useful in both ranged and melee combat.
    As far as bringing 'something else' to a group I have a suggestion too. Change Arrow Rip to a buff that grants a CA. On ourselves the buff gives us what we have now, but If we put the buff on a different scout they get a higher damage CA . On a fighter it becomes a medium damage and hate position increase CA. This is kind of in the same spirit as the fury single target heal, which can be given to another group member.
    Lastly... If assassins have a skill that does great damage, but you have to lead up to it by casting a bunch of skills in a certain order and/or timeframe... give rangers something similar. I don't want to play the easymode version of an assassin. Maybe Sniper Shot would be a good candidate to be the CA that is adjusted.

These are just some rough ideas. I'm sure if they have any merit others who are more experienced with the class would be able to think of more specific ways to implement them.

edit: Probably more of a solo/casual player request, but how about change the 'bladed opening' AA attack into a 'bladed finishing' attack. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody really wants to start their fights out with a weak AA attack, but a lot of times having something a little extra at the end of a fight can save ya from using a real worthwhile CA.
  11. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Well I imagine these changes will go to test first. Plus I'm sure its mostly ground work being laid before Velious and changes it brings, besides the obvious immediate benefits.
    Also if his numbers of 'increase' he used are right, using my damage numbers on a ZW, ~25% being auto attack, these changes will make MY auto damage go up about 2k DPS. Not quite an AFK-T1 dps level increase.
    EDIT: Found a much higher overall parse of mine, theoretically increase would be 3500 DPS increase on the really high end. This isn't gonna do much in closing the gaps between me and the people beating me heh. If it resulted in a 10k increase, might tie me up. Although I won't deny rangers in lower performing guilds would see a bigger increase in their share of the raid DPS.
    Remember not to just add 20% and 10% to 25% either lol. Its 10% and 20% OF 25%. So the amount of increasing not factoring in flurry and auto AE that Xelgad said is about right even if its a little on the low end. Factoring Flurry and auto AE is difficult to say the least without some practical tests.
    I've been told, by multiple assassins actually heh, that flurry and auto AE won't be the holy grail of DPS increase so certainly don't hope they will think it is now for some reason. Seriously its right now, "fine have auto ae and flurry won't do much", add it with about a 3k base increase and becomes, "OMGWTFBBQ OP'd!!!111"...what?
  12. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

Toxicz@Nagafen wrote:
    Hmmm and how many rangers have you seen that can take down an equally equipped SK, Zerker, Bruiser, Warlock, Warden or Inquisitor in a one on one situation?
    We do have our strengths in BG but I guarantee that even a Brig can take down ranger if they get close before the ranger sees them. In fact many of the nerfs we have had to deal with in PvE came from PvP whining.
  13. ARCHIVED-Darchon6 Guest

double post - disregard.
  14. ARCHIVED-Darchon6 Guest

Xelgad wrote:
    Are you going to limit the effectiveness of AE auto-attack and flurry for bows and two-handers to make them comparable to the damage bonuses provided for dual wielding classes? Currently, these attributes only apply to the primary weapon for dual wielders, making it less effective for them than rangers w/ their bows (after your proposed modifications) and fighters w/ two-handers due to the difference in base damage output for a single weapon. If you don't plan to limit the effectiveness, you'll have to compensate dual wielders by making AE auto-attack strike each target in AoE twice (with only the first hit triggering procs) rather than once and make flurry affect our offhand auto-attack swings as well.
    Possible limitations include restricting the maximum number of flurry hits to 2 rather than 4 for bows / two-handers and reducing the base damage of AoE auto-attacks by 50% in order to put the bonuses on par with dual wielding classes.
    To all you assassin haters - I know that rangers have been comparitively less desirable in raids than assassins since T7, but it's not an excuse to make them more effective than us at their primary role. We all know what the final outcome would be - assassins betraying to rangers and die-hard assassins being replaced with rangers in raid guilds due to the difference in damage output. It's happened before with other classes.
    Those points aside, how exactly do you plan to implement AE auto-attack for bows? Will rangers face the same range limitations as melee classes? What advantage will melee classes have to compensate for the range difference now that damage values are mostly equal? Should I just betray? /boggle
    With the upcoming changes to ranged auto-attack, perhaps you should consider boosting the base range of melee auto-attack to match the average range of our combat arts. "Target is too far away" while the target is moving can cost us thousands of dps mostly due to the fact that NPC movement isn't fully synchronized between the client and server. The location of the NPC which you perceive from your end is often half a second behind schedule.
    Also, you should consider giving melee-classes the option to boost the hit bonus of our attacks to match those found on arrows. Just the same, it would have to be a consumable item at a comparable cost.
    As the mechanics developer of this game, I hope that you've considered the repercussions of equalizing the base auto-attack damage output of bows and dual wield weapons while giving them the "full" benefit of flurry / AE auto. Don't disappoint me (in other words, force me to betray since the grass is greener on the other side)
  15. ARCHIVED-Candoor Guest

Gaige wrote:
    Despite poor sins being so severly challenged they still manage to out dps rangers by a mofo bucket load.....
    ZOMG I have to get my concealment chain just right and crap I havent this fight but i still out dps'ed a ranger comfortably.... by 10k dps instead of 30k.
    Yes Ive played both classes too on the same toon and respect sins click faster...and have to get ffu chain just right to max their stuff out... but even if they dont... they stil leave rangers for dust right now.
    So where is the difficulty in maxing dps on a sin assuming a reasonably well played toon with half decent gear? Ranger maxing is all based on making the most of crappy mechanics on top of having the right gear. If FFU wasnt broken 1 out of 3 just how much more dps would a sin do when they are already the defacto melee dps class?
    I see a lot more crappy rangers than assassins. So still debate if your point is valid tbh.
  16. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

I'm just gonna be a ***** and say i have ZERO sympathy for assassins, former-rangers or otherwise. Been riding high and easy for literally YEARS straight, one bump of rangers POSSIBLY doing more DPS and then more than likely knocked down isn't gonna hurt your precious baby bottoms. And don't start crying about 'well we are gonna get replaced in our slots and blah blah blah' hey we've been living it for years. Shut up. You don't GET to whine.
    You also keep forgetting ranger CA's blow HARD in comparison to Assassin CAs. To suggest some balance should be put in place to make the auto attack even when CA's aren't is ignorant to say the least. If our CA's aren't going to get adjusted our auto attack SHOULD be better in every single way for proper balance.
  17. ARCHIVED-Lodor Guest

Toxicz@Nagafen wrote:
    Lol, I have a 90 ranger (plus 3 other 90s) and pvped as one off and on since eof era when they were truelly the top pvp class.
    Crusaders, and near all healers if played and geared well will always beat a ranger less they majorly mess up.
  18. ARCHIVED-Corwinus Guest

Darchon6 wrote:
    Koldsteel, there is no assassin haters here and I am sure there is no need for you to betray so forget the drama.
    Assassins are still wanted more in raids than Rangers be it for pure dps (look at your CAs reuse timers and damage) or hate transfer to the tank.
    Xelgad gives us a glimmer of hope with the bow mechanics and it concerns auto attack which represents now only about 30% ouf our dps output. If as he says it adds 20% more damage on auto attack we are talking about an increase of 6% of overall dps. so you still outparse Rangers, no need to whine unless your real objective is just to bargain another little dps increase for assassins (well it used to work with Aeralik right?)
    Corwin - Still a Ranger - Cotw - Oasis
  19. ARCHIVED-Ballzz Guest

This is great news. I may have to reevaluate my opinion of Xelgad in light of this action. It may not be exactly what people want but it's *something* and it's at least a good start. At this point anything is welcomed. As for our CAs or giving us utility I still think they should add another component to FA that gives a group buff to Ability Reuse. This would not only help us for our CAs but would make us not so worthless to be grouped with and seems like it would be fairly easy to implement so long as it doesn't throw any major balance of power out of whack in groups.
    I also don't agree that Ranger's are so EZ-mode. If it was so easy to play a Ranger why do they have such a bad rep for doing horrible damage while Assassins have a rep for playing half-***** and still outparsing Rangers and other classes? I mean if it's so easy then every Ranger..even horrible players should be able to parse well (at least well for a Ranger which isn't even the case). Also, if Ranger is so much easier than Assassin then why is it so easy for raiding Rangers to betray and add an immediate 10k+ dmg to their parse without even knowing the details of how to play an Assassin or even having their Master spells? Unless the numerous posts from people saying how easy it was to boost their damage by simply betraying were incorrect then this whole EZ-mode Ranger argument sounds pretty weak.
    The crying already from some Assassins about a change that hasn't even happened yet is pretty pathetic considering how far behind Rangers have been and how needed the changes are. Sins that are worth a damn will more than likely still outparse Rangers and they have utility in an aggro xfer and a nice ally DPS buff and Rangers have nothing in that dept. I seriously doubt Assassins are going to suddenly betray to Ranger because of this..with the exception of maybe former Rangers that felt they had to switch to Assassin for raid viability. Good lord.
  20. ARCHIVED-Osp Guest

Xelgad wrote:
    ROFL I think this is just great, remember all the posts I had about the bow modifier being nerfed with the Aeralik "arrow fix", and everyone telling me I was wrong........ya well kiss my lilly white /chuckle
    Rangers have ALWAYS been balanced around there HUGH AUTO ATTACKS, higher than normal proc rates and the good ole sweet spot. Our DPS has been falling behind from the start of the -20% damage penelty, then it fell further with the standarization of all the procs,the implementation of much better rated melee weapons,lack luster Ranged AAs compared to some melee AAs, and just sucky mechaincs.
    Right now melee auto attack still does more ext dps than ranged, so this fix should bring us back on par with melee auto dps. When we were parsing with Assassins we were doing MORE auto attack dps. This is because our CAs are FAR behind other T1 Dps class's.
    So again just the 20% being added back is not going to bring us up to our counterparts, since in LU35? melee auto attack also recieved a +damage modifier to auto attack, but it is a very good start.
    Im cautiously waiting to see what flurry/ae will do on bows, Im hopeing that all it does is equal out the +modifier that melee auto got back in LU35? and put us back to near that level. I do understand everyone freaking out about it possibly being OP and if it is I hope they just "tweak" it down in smaller increments instead of going WOOOO and destroying it and haveing it take years to get fixed.