What's In YOUR Mercenary Crate?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, May 1, 2015.

1. Majesty Active Member

I agree and say that I will not purchase these unless they are at least heirloom. I have 26 characters and have no issues spending money on unlocking mercs etc for them. I refuse to gamble or just sell stuff for status. I can do status with writs for goodness sake. They either need to price them and allow you to pick which one or make them heirloom to trade. I have done a full subscription for over 10 years and spent more than I want to add up on station cash over the years. However.... at least I still have the mounts etc to show for it.
    Aislynn, Pipsissiwa and Prissetta like this.
  2. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I'm all defensive geared (pally) and I don't need a merc to run the adv. solo and I DPS failry well while doing it. I know guardians don't get that much love in the DPS department, but it shouldn't be that bad for an adv. solo. Little off topic, but whatevs.

Sure, but I'm hoping your wizard could one or 2 shot these guys.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  3. Loendar Member

Not really the point. Yes, I can run the Adv. Solo (on the tank, at least) without even needing another toon but having the extra healing/DPS does speed it up. The point here is that the token would be better if it could be swapped to a character that can use it the potential. Like you said - you were a little off topic.
  4. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I get the point. I've already stated as much a couple of times in this thread about how I dislike the grab-bag approach. The thing is that we have many other mercs available to us that do just as good, if not a better job than those you find in the crates. They aren't essential to the game. So, if you decide to take a chance on a no-trade merc token then that is your perogative. Why even open one on your tank if they don't need it? Why not dump them all on your wizzy? It's not like you were coerced or cajoled into doing it the way you did.

Yes, exactly like I said.
  5. Aylea Member

These need to be heirloom. I also feel duped since when you look at it in the marketplace it does not tell you ANYWHERE that they become no-trade once you open the crate. I had no idea that was going to happen.
    Aislynn likes this.
  6. Loendar Member

Though I suspect you are arguing just to argue at this point - I'll bite this time.

Just because I CAN do the zone truly solo doesn't mean that it isn't more efficient, faster, easier with a Merc as well. They give you the ability to use one and you would be silly not to take advantage of the tools provided.

As for why I opened it on the tank - I stated that in my original message. I was hoping/looking for the 'rare' Inqy merc to use on my tank. I like having healing along in the event I run into something more challenging than I'm expecting. Instead I got one that I can't really use but my Wizard would love to have. Really - that was the entire reason for my post (and that of many others on this thread).

Just because I could use the rare merc on my tank - it would be inefficient compared to tanking it myself and bringing a hybrid healer/DPS or straight DPS.

There - now I believe I've answered your questions even though I believe you probably already knew all of these answers and are just being contrarian.
  7. Brennin Active Member

Also:
    Zeal of Wraith IV
    • Increases INT, AGI, STR, and WIS of group members (AE) by 135.5
    • Adds 2.7% to base avoidance
    • Increases Ability Reuse Speed of group members (AE) by 9.6%
    • Increase Attack Speed of group members (AE) by 78.6
    • Increases Mitigation of group members (AE) vs elemental, noxious, and arcane damage by 393
  8. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I'm not being contrarian. I'm trying to figure out why the idea of no-trade tokens is so much of a problem for people. Yes, it is a crap shoot. We all know that well before purchasing the crates. There is the distinct possibility that you will end up with something that isn't what you wanted. Again, something we all knew before purchasing/opening the crates. So my question is why do it and then complain about it? You knew you were taking a chance and you actually got lucky on your crate but you've found every excuse to make it seem like it was bad luck.
  9. Loendar Member

Ok - I can see your confusion.

Contrary to popular opinion not everyone knew/knows that the token is not heirloom/tradeable. You find out that piece of the puzzle AFTER you have opened the crate which IS tradeable. Given that the mercs from the heroic zones are tradeable and the chests themselves are tradeable it is actually more likely that the token would be tradeable as well. These tokens are the exception to the rule and that is what people are upset about.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that most of us knew we couldn't trade the merc when everything else points to it being tradeable. But that might be why you aren't getting the full picture.

I would also like to point out that I don't want/expect them to be tradeable on the broker or anything - just heirloom within the account. I realize that DBG would lose revenue if people put them on the broker.
  10. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

That's quite funny, because I looked into the details before even buying the crates. I wanted to know if the mercs were account-wide originally, so I asked. I found out they weren't. I then looked into whether or not they could be traded or were heirloom. Again, I found out that they were not.

Based on that, I still decided to purchase a couple of crates. I did my due diligence and spent my money wisely. I find it interesting that people are so ready to jump to conclusions and purchase a product based on that. I think it's a wise practice to research your purchases ahead of time. That way, one's complaints carry much more weight.
  11. Ndiar Active Member

Not to be a DBG apologist as it make me feel a bit dirty because I think they should make the mercs heirloom also. But, the very thread we are having this discussion on is linked on the login welcome page. We are told about the new merc crates and invited to watch the video to learn more.

Go in front of Judge Judy and tell her you were scammed and want your money back and that cranky old hag would whack you on the knuckles like a nun at a Catholic school and proceed to lecture you about buyer beware and due diligence before making a purchase.

If you were informed and made the purchase anyway and want to argue about the validity of being no trade or heirloom you are within bounds on argue the merits of the case. If you made the purchase and feel you were "scammed" and upset about the nature of products you don't have a lot of ground to stand on in arguing the case because you didn't inform yourself beforehand. I do understand the want/need to vent your frustrations though as it can add up to a good amount of DB cash in a hurry.
    Vainamoinen likes this.
  12. Katzandra Well-Known Member

If you guys won't let us purchase the mercs that we like directly, would it be a fitting compromise to have the tokens be more generic? A common token could be used to access the common merc of our choice. An uncommon token could be used to purchase the uncommon or common merc of our choice and the rare token could be used to purchase anyone we want? And make the tokens heirloom after they are unpacked so alts can get the merc that looks best with each character!
    Majesty likes this.
  13. Losadunai Active Member

While this is true, the point for Daybreak releasing things that will make them money and keep them afloat is giving the players stuff they WANT- since giving us stuff we need would bring the "Pay To WIN!?!*!" crowd down on all of our heads.

In this case, his TANK wanted a specific merc - but didn't get it. He could have chosen not to buy a token at all with his tank, and only with his wiz, True.

OR - alternate scenario here - he could have bought the token, not liked what he got, given it to his wiz, bought another token (a HA - more money for daybreak!) and maybe continued on in this fashion until he got what he wanted, or until he decided not to spend any more money.

OR- alternate scenario here - he could have paid money based on the merc for what he actually wanted ($7 for common, $9 for rare, $12 for Katastra? just shooting numbers) and done that on Each character he wanted a special looking merc on, and Daybreak would have had more money, he would have been happy - woah, a win win? What a beautiful world that could have been.

I'm just saying - this whole "it's your choice, so shut up and deal with the results" really isn't helpful. People are expressing their perception of the pricing and mechanics, and offering alternatives (you know, other than the "This sux I'm taking my ball and going home, you stinky poopoo heads" type of comments).
  14. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

Those are definitely possible ways to go about selling them. What I'm saying, however, is that given the way they are being sold now, people need to make informed decisions before running to the forums and crying foul.

Currently, the "money making" scheme for DGC looks like this:
    Player buys crate, opens it, finds it is not the one he/she wanted, buys another, rinse and repeat until they are satisfied with the result. They then start the process over with their alts. All the while DGC is making money.

Do I like this method? Of course not. I would prefer not to rely on my luck when it comes to trying to get something. But I decided, based on what I knew and the questions I asked, that I was willing to take the 'gamble' and buy some. Once I've made that decision & purchase I have implicitly agreed to the process.

As a consumer, I want to be able to get what I want/need for the lowest possible price. As a for-profit company, DGC wants to generate as much revenue as they can. The fundamentals of a free market system. I can always negotiate with those I am purchasing products from but it doesn't always work. I can't haggle over how much a Quarter-Pounder costs. They'd laugh me out of the place. Maybe we can haggle over the pricing of the crates but, in the meantime, they cost what is listed in the Marketplace.

I have no intention of being helpful, really. I am trying to point out where there are flaws in people's logic. Maybe, based on that, they might approach things a little differently the next time around but that is not really a concern of mine.
    Griff likes this.
  15. beagley Well-Known Member

Maybe because its an un-neccessary restriction to make them non-heirloom and goes against how the other merc tokens are handed in game. People then percieve this as a thinly disguised mechanism to make customers buy excess crates in the hopes that they get the merc they want. While it may appear to be the same as buying packs of sticker/trading cards to get the one you want and then trade your spares, the restriction means that the trade with others (or to an alt) option clearly isn't available.

You are correct that people that buy the crates by and large know what they are letting themselves in for (however there is some confusion evident in the thread above) but my stance is simple. While the tokens are non-trade, I'm not prepared to buy the crates. I'd much rather they just put the individual mercs up on the marketplace and price them so people could just buy the ones they want rather than mess about with the grab-bag mechanism but at least making them (the tokens) at least heirloom would ease some of peoples concerns and issues.

Not stating that this is the case in the US, but in Europe this wouldn't wash. For business to consumer transactions the "caveat emptor" principal is long dead and buried. These days B2C legislation is on "caveat venditor", i.e. seller beware and the duty of care is on the seller to prove that they haven't mislead the buyer (either deliberately or invertedly) in any way.
    Blade Parker likes this.
  16. Seriously Member

No. They function just like any other merc.
  17. Knight Member

anyone know how good lorr'kejut is compared to perrin wanderhoof? i currently have perrin and kenny, although since the kenny nerf awhile back, i dont use him anymore, i use perrin now, but in game everyhone seems to have a hard on for lorr'kejut.....i know he's an inquis, so again, hows he compare to perrin?
  18. Vudd Member

I had 800 DB Cash (SC or whatever you call it) and couldnt stand it so i bought 1 monk merc for my 94 fury because Denva Loogei was what i had before.

I got the basic monk merc Clot Bloodreaver. He is ugly and says creepy stuff all the time BUT he is an awesome tank. I like him better for the fury than the AOM defiler. He is a pretty tough rotting meat shield.

19. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a thinly disguised mechanism. I think it is pretty obvious and I also think that is the whole point of the tokens being tagged the way they are.
  20. Loendar Member

Though it isn't having the desired effect. I admit that I didn't watch the 20 minute video in order to find out that these tokens wouldn't work like the ones already in game - my bad in assuming consistency. But what is happening in reality is I got a merc I don't want to use on this character, found out that it wasn't tradeable to a character that would use it and stopped purchasing. I'm not going to fall for the same thing twice. IF I had been able to trade the merc I would have bought another crate on my main in an attempt to get the one I wanted - but that didn't happen. DBG loses money.

If they had put the information from the video that people asked about (like the option to trade) in the text of the post as bullet points then I would have saved myself some cash. But they didn't do that - they buried it at the 11 minute mark of a 20-ish minute long video. I doubt not breaking out those questions into the article was an oversight. They knew they would catch people that don't have the time or inclination to watch a rambling video on the subject.
    Lodrelhai likes this.