What UI Mod is a must

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by trixster, Aug 4, 2015.

1. trixster Active Member

Why. I got Maps2. It is confusing but it helps a ton.
  2. flameweaver Well-Known Member

EQ2Maps, is OK, but it is need of some serious moderation, in my estimation there's around 25-30% of the POI's that are either obsolete or just plain wrong. Nearly all of the Qeynos/Freeport suburbs contain POI's from the pre Qeynos/Freeport revamp.

But yes it is useful, other than that, there are no essential mods, although some would argue that maybe spell/combat art timers are. Check out EQ2 Interface and look and the screenshots of the various mods, and go with what appeals. And don't forget you can mix and match elements from different UI's to get the look you want.

I'd guess the most common are DrumsUI, ProfitUI and DarqUI, however be aware, that updating the UI's when DBG change stuff, can be a problem with getting alternate UI's fixed, particularly as the dev's don't appear to be willing to tell UI authors what they plan to change or even what they have changed when things break.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

EQ2 maps is the big one.

If you craft, Drums tradeskill window is excellent. It allows you to view the recipe window side by side with the combine window and hit ENTER to repeat a combine (great if you are making a lot of something like provisioners, woodworkers and alchemists often find themselves doing).

I don't personally like going for the full UI replacements, but a piece here and there can be useful and if a patch breaks it or they stop updating that particular UI you don't have to completely relearn your UI.

Some of the old mods were things that are now standard in the default UI (click to cure, attack timer).
  4. Kittybock Well-Known Member

• Eq2 maps.
    • ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker) I recommend this if you like to tweak your toon, work with stats and mechanics...see which build or spell/CA rotation works best for you, etc.
    • UI: Personally, I have stayed with the Default UI. I enjoy helping new players and it's easier to assist them, if we are on the same page. Some of the alternate UI's offer sweet options on calling things in dungeons, so can be a selling point.
    Kitty
    Finora likes this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

I do like to use ACT. While I'm not a big min maxer, it is a very useful tool to figure out exactly what's going on, especially when you suspect there is a bug.

Plus it has a harvesting plugin so you can track exactly what you've harvested ;).
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you see a POI that's wrong, you can fix it. Go to the EQ2Maps website and in the "Points of Interest" dropdown, select Report a Bad POI. When you hover over the dot on your in-game map, the popup tooltip has a 5-digit number you'll need to easily report on the problem with the issue, or you can open the correct map from the menu, find the problem POI, click it, then report it from there.
  7. Foretold Well-Known Member

All I have is EQ2 Maps. Other than that, I have the default UI. I tried Profit once many years ago. I installed it, loaded up the game, screamed in agony, and uninstalled it about an hour later.
    Rhodris likes this.
  8. trixster Active Member

Thanks all looking into those. I mainly dont like the chat window atm. I cant seem to read anything. 1 bag block would be nice too.
    The chat i can probably fix by working with the window a bit.
  9. Foretold Well-Known Member

Right click on the chat window, a box will pop up and in the lower left side of the box is a slider to change the font size. If the colors are hard to read, you can change the colors in Options > User Interface (or something like that). I recently had to change the size and font colors to better read chat on my new monitor.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

You can also change the position and size of the window. The default UI is pretty flexible for it's age.

Hit f10 to move them around. Hit it twice more to go back to normal.
  11. trixster Active Member

It seems like the fonts change back. I need to play with it more i made a window for chat only.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You will find most interface mods at EQ2Interface.com. Everyone is going to have their own personal preference as to what they want out of their UI. The whole GUI for EQ2 is XML and uses DDS graphics, so if you're decent with XML, you can tweak it yourself, even, if you want to.

I like ProfitUI Reborn, which I am told is similar to WOW's CT Mod. For a long time, it was the "must have" UI for healers.

I also have some individual customized pieces that I really like:
    I'll post a pic of my UI, which is mostly Profit, with further customized chunks outlined in red:
    [IMG]

And here's DarqUI's Window Utility options where I've setup customized actions for my conjy:
    [IMG]
  13. Seefar Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO.

No UI mods are a 'must'. Not a one.

I have tons of respect for the work put into EQ2maps but I would urge everyone to use it only as a last resort. Unless you're the type that opens a book at the last page first to see whoddunnit.
  14. trixster Active Member

I dont really feel immersed in the quests in EQ2. I have a general idea of what they have me doing but since it is all reading, it is really just not for me. So i like to be able to identify where i'm going to farm the next quest items.
  15. Seefar Well-Known Member

:(
  16. trixster Active Member

IT'S ok i'm a EQ1 from waaaay back so i have a lot to like here.
    Seefar likes this.
  17. Charlice Well-Known Member

You simply must have EQ2maps! I'd be lost without it, literally. (Sorry Seefar)
    Seefar and Rhodris like this.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

Matter of opinion. I absolutely despise certain pieces of the current default UI (that #$#($# gigantic WoW/LOTRO esque xp bar for one) and quite cheerfully replaced it with a nice modded one that looks more like the old one before the stupid giant one that shows adventure, aa and tradeskill xp one under the other. If I couldn't replace the default big one I would have had to turn it off or push it until it was mostly off the screen. ;)

I personally started using EQ2 maps because there were no standard maps of the sewers of Freeport or Qeynos and I had to go to them often for quests and spent WAY too much time lost. I've had trouble learning dungeons since way back in EQ1. Soul of a ranger, more comfortable outside ;). So EQ2maps it was because there was at least a basic map of those zones. It's not evil. Sure it has a lot of dots and junk on it, no one says you have to use it for everything.
    Certainly no worse than what 90% of people do with most quests, looking it up on Eq2.wikia or zam.
    Personally I tend to try to find things for myself eq2maps or not.
  19. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

EQ2Maps is an absolute essential for me as I get horribly lost just getting out of bed in the morning....
  20. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I kind of get used to profit ui Reborn and eq2 maps. But as time has moved on, normaly, you get the area where you have to search for an questupdate shown, as default. Its not like the good old days, where you have to solve ridles to get to a certain point, or where you have to read the text of a quest and have to know youre land.

So to me, its just a matter of evolution. Nowadays mmos are all a bunch of casual timesinks, if you havent any thing to do in real :)