What do you listen to while playing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ShaggyBodom, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I very rarely start threads cause they usually don't work out, but I will try again! :p

What kind of music do you listen to while playing EQ2 or any other game? Or do you prefer to listen to game sounds?

For me, I mute every MMO I play, I have to listen to music. The type of music I listen to varies, but 95% of it is rock/metal, I enjoy most of that genre besides most punk. I also listen to a bit of trance/dubstep every now and then. I have a bad addiction to Korn so its usually them, but recently got into Hollywood Undead. If you want to see all 2,000+ artists I listen to, its in my sig.

Share yours! :D
  2. Lesserof New Member

I'd say this is a pretty innocent thread topic... but yeah, you never know o_O

Personally I keep the game sounds on, but I turn them down a bit... I do stream Pandora like its going outta style.

A huge mix really: Classic Rock, Metal/Hard Rock, Ambient, Trip-hop, Dub/EDM, Satire-Rap, some regular-ish Rap, Or any mashup/mix of the aforementioned genres. Also peppered with other stuff from across the Globe that I can't classify...

I even get some comedy skits mixed in there, from folks like Daniel Tosh or Bo Burnham.
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  3. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

When I say they don't usually work out, I mean I don't get replies often and they die out :p

I used to be hugely addicted to Pandora until I found Spotify. Pandora's radio is definitely better than Spotify radio though.

That is a pretty huge mix :eek: I used to listen to quite a bit back when I was a kid, then I found Korn and well, that kinda got me to focus strictly on rock/metal. I should open up a little more and check into other stuff.
    Lesserof likes this.
  4. Lesserof New Member

I found that I was enjoying sounds or samples from movie soundtracks and other various media, so I'd search them out and that lead me to listening to SHOUTcast, and then Pandora.

Each one has exposed me to artists and sounds that I had not previously experienced, which has been great since I felt that the current state of music was becoming somewhat stagnant.

So yeah, expand those horizons!
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I might look into SHOUTcast again, I actually didn't know it was still around! I always love finding new artists to listen to (1 reason I created this thread, yes, I have an ulterior motive!). Last.fm is great with recommendation radio, but it only plays based on what you listen to, so it don't give you new genres or anything.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I usually play with my best friend and we chat on Skype as we wreak havoc throughout Norrath, so no music at all normally. He's in the Navy and is currently at sea, so I find I leave the headset off and listen to my iPod. I have a very eclectic range of music - but pretty old-school rock (George Thorogood-like), classical, opera, light jazz and swing, Adele, Joss Stone, stuff from the 80s and 90s (my era), Gregoran chants, early medieval music....the list goes on :)

I'd love to be able to get my hands on the music from EQ1 though - I think I prefer it to the music of EQ2!
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  7. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

George Thorogood is awesome! I love me some old school rock, but not tooooo old! Have never really listened to the other genres, I am probably missing out on some good stuffs.

I honestly forgot what the music sounds like in EQ1 and 2, thats pretty bad :( Maybe I should turn it on sometime and check it out lol. I did like it when I first played EQ1, it took me a year or so before I finally muted it and listened to my own.
  8. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Usually my bff, we chatter away.

If alone? Puscifer (the Mission, and 22:20 both make for some good fight songs)

John Newman (Can You Love Me Again) it's quick paced, good beat, unusual voice and a rather morbid ending to the music video (you've been warned)

Poets of the Fall (I'm a sucker for Carnival of Rust)

The Civil Wars (their Dance me to the End of Love, acoustic is amazzzzing, and they also have Barton Hollow, which is just rich with energy and imagery of Southern misdeeds and consequence.)

Pink Floyd (no explanation needed there, they are Pink Floyd)

..If I'm crafting and need mellow, Birdy's versions of Skinny Love, Shelter, Without a Word, White Winter Hymnal, and People help the People can get you a long way in those combines! :)

(Note, not all the songs contain work and kid friendly lyrics)
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  9. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Madeleine Peyroux has a nice version of Dance Me To The End of Love as well.
  10. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I just found out about Puscifer yesterday! Very good band :) Poets of the Fall is another good one, Carnival of Rust is pretty darn awesome. Pink Floyd is..... *hides* :p
  11. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Isn't that Maynard James Keenan's* side-side project**?

* From Tool.
    ** Given that his first side project was A Perfect Circle.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Lol well said and yup, you are right!
  13. Lesserof New Member

Puscifer is his 3rd Side project actually... if you want to count his Vineyard in that whole list!
  14. getinfroggy New Member

Love tool and slipknot and stone sour......anything heavy
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  15. Lesserof New Member

Speaking of which... has anyone been checkin out the new Slipknot vids? creepy-crazy (and totally NSFW) I tell ya.... but the sounds are awesome. Making me look forward to the new Album.
  16. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up about new Slipknot stuff! Just listened to "The Devil In I" on Spotify and it was pretty goods. What new music videos do they have? I didn't see any for that song.

Also, I will just share this, because this is the best thing ever:

(Fast forward to about 1 minute if you wanna skip the intro)
  17. Lesserof New Member

Well, I suppose "videos" was a bit misleading... you found one track, and then there is the Video for "The Negative One" which is below...

DISCLAIMER: I am labeling this as NSFW up front!

ShaggyBodom likes this.
  18. Lesserof New Member

Also... that Baby Metal vid is totally worthy of a good Dynasty Warriors soundtrack or a decent space-anime fight scene :D
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  19. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Holy crap that was actually REALLY good. I didn't expect much cause the previous album was just decent. I am seeing them live in 2 months and well, this just made me even more excited. Thanks for sharing!
  20. Luperza Community Manager

Interesting topic! If I'm streaming, I tend to use the in-game music, but on my own playtime or with my guild, I like to rock out to some metal or rock music. :)
    Lesserof and ShaggyBodom like this.