Was hoping it would be different this time..

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Teju, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Teju Member

It took a good amount of time and a lot of convincing to get my group of friends to try EQ2. Asking them to front $15 to sub for a game they've never played was challenging. However, PvP encounters happening while PvMing created another challenge they generally enjoyed in MMOs. So they agreed probably an hour or so before server launched to try the game.

Within a few hours, they all logged out and decided not to log back in and I can't really blame them.

Within 20 seconds of the group hitting level 10, we were wiped by another group of level 13-14 players. Not too bad... Almost expected. We revived to continue our journey only to be wiped by the same group 3 more times. Unable to progress further, we decided to go to another zone. One player in the group hit level 12 and we were wiped by a group of 16s that were all red con to all but our level 12. This happened 1 more time to the same group. Discouraged, my friends decided to go crafting for a bit to change it up. Each of them were killed 6-8 times just harvesting with several kills from the same people/groups that would've provided no benefit being on the /recent list. I could hear in their voices that they weren't enjoying the game. The last straw for them was being killed while crafting.. No one made it past level 13 adventurer or level 10 crafting.

In the grand scheme of things, me and my 3 friends are nothing as far as the population as a whole but there are now 4 less players. It sucks because so many incredible suggestions were made prior to launch that would have made the experience better for everyone:
    -Bumping up the level that enables PvP
    -Staggered level cap
    -KD style leveling where everyone is the same level depending on their zone
    -& several other great suggestions I can't remember off the top of my head

Just to add duel to the fire, before the end of the day, there were quite a few players over level 60 and people had access to cash shop mounts and other items that provided an advantage in pvp..

I had hope that this time would be different. Sadly, it wasn't.

As an original Nagafen player, this was likely my last attempt at the game. And that's not because of the game itself, but because I, like many others, play MMOs with a core group of gaming friends. With this unsuccessful experience for them, the likelihood of them giving EQ2 another shot is incredibly low.

Good luck to everyone who is still going strong and hopefully things change for the better.
    omnielle, Deafxint, Pixistik and 2 others like this.
  2. QuakeOne New Member

What zones did you encounter the PvP?

I am level 14, I haven't encountered any PvP yet, I did some players get picked from 2 enemy players attacking people doing PvE quests. Seemed easy for them because those people did not have their guard up. Also, noticed people don't even report when they get killed too, did you report let others know of PvP presence?

The PvP seems different than other games, other games you'd see red dots indicating enemy players, you'd get notifications like "an ally has been slain".

I think having some notifications especially in zones where its your faction, being notified there is PvP'ers in the zone, that can go long way to, having people ready up and have their guard up. The people I see die aren't ready, guard is down, I can imagine how it feels to get ganked and feel like you werent even ready.

So if they can do notifications, like in EQ, when people slay raid boss in TLP, it says "a group of adventurers slayed such and such", well for PvP it could pop zonewide notification, "an ally has been slain".

There is literally hardly any reporting going on, as in players reporting PvP locations.

Having a feature, such as press a button, it then alerts your faction of enemy presence, by informing enemy spotted, indicating the zone, area they are in. Can go a long ways to improving the PvP experience.
    Also if map could have a 5 min PvP kill dot, so people can watch the map to see if any action, any threat is in the zone. Would go a long ways too.

Level 20 PvP starts can be nice, but you'll have the same issues at 20 then. Having notification system of PvP would mitigate the issue, especially if its people picking others in their own homelands. If no one is reporting any activity, they will just continue to cause chaos.
    Having a 5 min PvP kill dot on the map, that is helpful, some people just don't report like how it is now, so you need ingame feature help with this problem.

I see plenty of allies in zones and run by them, but if they don't of the issue, nothing happens.
  3. xarc2 New Member

damn that was a quick quit. i get it. but at the same time, that's how it is and was.
  4. Malachy Well-Known Member

You're either in a full stacked group or you will be ganked mercilessly by the full stacked group that experience no challenge or reward in doing it until you quit. Harvest? Craft? Quest? Hilarious.

This is why people want battlegrounds, the outnumbered and outleveled scenario is the standard in open PVP.
    Arielle Nightshade and Dude like this.
  5. Satyr Well-Known Member

Told you all - hope people enjoyed their 2 days of griefing new people off the server in DLW. People who have played this for years know how to avoid being griefed, new players don't and don't have the incentive to push through.

Not starting in shattered lands and having a population already divided between three factions spread across three expansions is unfortunate too.

Oh well.
    Dude and Siren like this.
  6. Magdaddy Active Member

I've played probably hundreds of online games at this point in my life and the community on an EQ2 pvp server is as bad as any I've seen, including dota/league. It's mostly people that run around in large groups only engaging when they know victory is certain. They will only engage with no risk because people on EQ2 pvp servers can kill somebody in a 12v1 and will still camp to the other side to talk the most socially awkward trash imaginable. EQ2 pvp is a cesspool of people competing to see who can make the other more miserable and has nothing to do with challenging and fair pvp.
    Dude and Siren like this.
  7. Frostfang Member

8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EQ2 PVP has always eaten its own young /shrug. That's kinda what you signed up for.
  9. DENSER Well-Known Member

Tried 1 month on last pvp server.
    this game is not made for that, or at least nothing is really done to implement this game system in eq2. pity, there would be plenty to do .
    This server just serves as a quick cash grab, targeting fans of ultra-fast up, specific to titillating phrases and excessive egos.
    If you want to smell jerks of farts in the wind, this server is for you. Otherwise go your way
    Magdaddy likes this.
  10. Feara Well-Known Member

Well that surely stinks.

Players had some really good ideas on improving this server. I enjoyed reading them.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'd like to see the company hire a team of three to five devs who have worked on very successful PVP games, and have them design a PVP system from the ground up, discarding anything we've had previous. EQ2 PVP would be a much different thing had it been baked in from the beginning, rather than Frankensteined on later.
    Aggy and Frostfang like this.
  12. gambitak Well-Known Member

I got my character to level 6 and saw people advertising RL funds for in-game items. Turned me off of the server, and most likely the game; I've not leveled in around 3 months, and have only logged in to only logout almost immediately; after a couple months of that, I thought I'd try the PvP server and yep, just like it was last time I tried.

That's not cool. Pass for me.
    Hartay and Dude like this.
  13. Satyr Well-Known Member

It's almost comical - fully twinked 6 mans roving DLW killing off the one or two new players who roll freeport side. There's an artificial difference in faction numbers mostly driven by the fact that all the new players who roll evil are griefed off the server in their first hour of play. It's such a shame because the fix would have been so easy.
  14. Feara Well-Known Member

Based on the numbers Siren reported Thursday in her thread this may not be a bad idea.
  15. Deadreckoning New Member

I haven't played since Nagafen, and had to work during the week like most people. My character is in her teens, and has spent HOURS trying to find groups as a warden (World of Scouts right? Healer is wanted right?).

One I found fell apart instantly, the other I was too low to participate.

Really, it's like what's the point? Like others, I have a finite amount of time to play with work and life obligations and I find most people are rushing headlong to the end levels. Are people even enjoying it? It feels like swallowing food without tasting it.

Anyways, was fun for the few hours I was actually able to get a group one night this week. For those slamming to the end-game - when you look around and don't have anyone to play with, you know why.
    Fetish and Feara like this.
  16. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

We can't at the same time complain about lack of new players or player populations and then turn around and behave like this. You want a healthy server population? Play with creating a decent player pool in mind. I love pvp, and love EQ2, but wouldn't roll on this server on a bet.
  17. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I know you remember this...Scott Hartsman swearing that PvP would never happen. I think this is a great idea, it would be fun to play a well designed pvp game in Norrath.
  18. Xeshaka Member

So you knowingly brought your friends into a PVP server and did not prep them at all for PVP?
    Sounds like you wasted your friends money and they would have quit eventually anyway.

You should have played on Varsoon if a few fights would be that scary.

lol
  19. QuakeOne New Member

I haven't seen this.
    You sure it was 6? It's bothways too people hunting qeynos players in frostfang sea. The people doing the hunting are usually the best on the server so keep that in mind.
    It's not like everyone is max level. I'm not max level I'm more like early mid game, its been out for over a week now hasn't it? I still see RoV groups LFM and see SH groups too.

1- 20 I've been told its just early area, you can solo through everything you don't need a full group 1-20. Having 1 other person is more than enough. So 2 people doing entire frostfang sea.
    I solo'ed every named in the frostfang sea and I'm a newplayer.
    Be sure to get Rumblecrush when you can because can't mentor below lvl 10 and he is grey to lvl 10.
    Its 1-20 its learning area of the game, learn at your own pace, you don't need a group for 1-20, since most people are advanced they breeze through 1-20 it took me 3 days to get to 20.

I like the PvP ruleset, I come from games like Guild Wars 2 and ESO.
    There should be some objectives though. I find the current ones a bit too hard, the PvP writs is like kill the top 15 leaderboard person? As new player thats probably not going to happen lmao.
    They should relook at PvP writs, and create some faction based objectives, maybe a faction based scoring would be nice, in Guild Wars 2 and ESO you can see which side is winning, so it could be better. It seems a bit individualism right now.
    If they had a CTF style to this PvP that would be really fun. Or a ESO Alliance War kind of vibe in PvP would be fun as well.
    Game could use a channel for PvP, and a target someone and do a /pvp and it reports to the pvp channel, 27 fury in Antonica and/or a map shows a pvp skull when 3 or more died in a certain area within the past 5 mins.
    Need more PvP specific stuff in this game.
    It's like the developers hardly invested in PvP.
    It's still somewhat fun, but there is a tons of room for improvements in regards to PvP, especially when compared to other modern MMO's with PvP.
    Also, I don't recall going through a PvP tutorial, everything PvP I've had to find out from another player telling me about it. So there could be a PvP tutorial, what EQ2 PvP is all about.

Server status is Heavy last time I checked, so there is a lot of interest in EQ2 PvP. It can be better though. Lots of room to improve on PvP.
  20. Picard New Member

I hate pvp but O. P., WHY did you you start on a pvp server? I suggest another try this time tryout Kael server it's really chill here and you can learn the game mechanics on easy mode then switch to live or pvp. Heck if what you are doing is harvesting and crafting kd is the place.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.