Warden/Mystic face off!

Discussion in 'Priests' started by GDINE, Aug 7, 2013.

1. GDINE New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just started playing EQII a few days ago. After playing various toons I decided that I would like to play a healer.
    My two friends are also playing with me and we group up quite often. One of my friends play a Guardian while the other plays a Wizard. Now I have heard that mystics suck or wardens are OP. I even heard to only play defilers! Funny thing is most people from the chat telling me this couldn't give me a summary of any of the classes listed above or even what kind of spells a particular class receives. Now then I have done some research and I know I wan to stay in the shaman or Druid healing classes and I know that I would prefer to melee dps (unless someone has an argument against it) so I believe my choice would be either Warden or Mystic. Could anyone please give me some advice in the differences between these classes and which of them would be better suited for my little mini group?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Koinoo Member

First, my main is a defiler but I do have alternate characters for all of the priests at max level and have a basic knowledge of how they work.

Both warden and mystic are powerful, but they have a few basic differences to keep in mind.

Similarities between the two:

- Both are given options via AA's to replace primary damage spells with combat arts.
    - Both are given upgrades to the Cure Curse line to hasten the casting speed of that spell.
    - Both are given various "dumbfire" healing pets.

Notable Differences:

- Mystics primarily absorb damage as it occurs (wards), wardens primarily heal damage taken over time after it occurs (regens). Wardens do get some limited warding versus elemental based damage and a small physical ward for their small single target heal, while mystics have a few sources for damage over time healing.
    - Mystics receive significantly more debuff abilities compared to wardens (i.e. stat, max health, mitigation decrease etc.). Wardens have very few debuffs overall compared.
    - Wardens have two group cures (one given via AA's, shared with furies), mystics have one group cure.
    - Wardens have more death save abilities (standard single target, one group, several different single target stoneskin abilities), and enhancements via AA's to add extra death save triggers. Mystics only receive one death save (standard for all priests).
    - Wardens have a group AOE prevent (via AA's). Mystics have one group AOE prevent possible from their dog AA line (albeit completely random proc chance).

The absolute largest difference between the two is going to be the first one mentioned--their specialty heals. Shaman mainly have wards while druids are given regeneration abilities (wardens even mores than furies). Shaman wards are an extremely efficient type of heal and the best type of heal for large spikes in damage but do not give any direct healing when applied (unless you're a defiler). Druid regens have the absolute most healing potential (a lot of which is easily wasted), while wards have the least healing potential (but are rarely wasted). You'll find that many of the warden heals appear to be small by themselves but nearly all of them have a very fast ticking heal over time effect attached which will stack with one another.

Out of the two, I have come across far fewer good mystics. They are a difficult class to truly master but are extremely versatile and highly desirable in the high end game once you understand all of the tools you're given. I would go so far as to say warden will be the easier of the two to understand and play well.

Finally, to answer your last question, both heals are great for a small group. If you ask a room full of priests which of the two is better in a small group environment you will receive multiple conflicting answers, but it really boils down to which one you are most comfortable with. Both classes provide a lot of different benefits.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable mystics and wardens will chime in, but hopefully that summary helps a bit. I'm a shaman at heart, so my bias leans towards that direction. Hopefully I gave a fair assessment in my comparison of both.
    Melindor likes this.
  3. Melindor New Member

Mystics dont suck they are slower to level up if you tend to go solo most of your time. If you aim to group all the time or most of the time any healer can be picked. Wardens usually convert their spells into melee and their buffs are suitable for tanks,fighters. If you check out fury they are the counterpart and are casters and buffs are suited for mages. I cant tell about the mystics so here is from eq2flames.

"Mystics are a versatile healer class, capable of effective tank healing and solo healing (to a degree), as well as potent debuffing and buffing, all while maintaining a very high level of DPS. They are capable MT, OT, or DPS group healers and can typically do the expected priest job, again, while also maintaining a significant amount of debuffing and group utility. Mystics have some of the most powerful defensive and offensive buffs of the priest classes. Mystic heal primarily by preventing damage from occurring through the use of ward."
  4. GDINE New Member

Thanks so much! Warden sounds fantastic. Unless anyone could tell me about fury or decipher I think warden would be my class. I was correct in assuming if I want to melee warden or mystic are my only two options? Can wardens use shields? I played a Druid in EQ so I think I would like the warden the best but one thing that annoys me is the shape shifting I don't want to be in an alternate form to fight! I want to see me character but I heard that each form gives you a buff so what would be the disadvantage of not shape shifting? Thanks so much for your replies so far it's giving me great insight.
  5. Torri Active Member

I don't play a Fury, and am partial to meleeing so I can't give an accurate, unbiased comparison between Warden and Fury.

If you want a melee Priest you also have the option to make an Inquisitor. They share with Mystics and Wardens the ability to convert their damage spells into melee combat arts, and also have buffs that are melee oriented.

Yes Wardens (And all healers) can use shields, but at least at higher levels when your stats are higher a two handed weapon will yield much better DPS while meleeing

In your character window, on the options tab second from the bottom alone the left hand side is a checkbox that allows you to hide any illusion form you have active. You still gain the buffed stats from the illusion, but still appear as your character.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Fury is like a mage that heals...simply put, and is different from Warden, even if it's the 'other' druid. If you want to melee, Fury isn't for you, but Inquisitor is the cleric melee and you might want to take a look at that.

You have 4 shapeshifting buffs (3 with AA, and minor). Whichever buff you cast first is the one you'll look like. If you don't want to look like that form (I don't either, I want to look like my character), simply type /hide, and your illusions will cancel. You'll still have the buffs, but you won't look like the buff form.

The only reason you'll use a shield vs. a good 2 hander as melee is if the shield (bucklers in Wardens' case) has such amazing stats or a proc that you just can't say 'no' to. Otherwise a 2 hander will help you do the most damage while you are healing.

Also - Wardens specialty is heal over time, but every single Warden heal is a good size direct heal with a Heal over Time component tacked on. Once you get these stacked and 'rolling', you can heal as well as any healer out there. The reason people may say that Warden heals are weak is because they either don't know how to play one (you can't wait for damage to occur, you have to be healing and get those HoT's stacked for when it does), or have only grouped with those that don't know how.

I have all the healers at max (or near max) level, and raid as a Defiler. Warden has been my main since launch, and is my absolute favorite class in the game. It's gone through a lot of changes and was unplayable there for awhile - but now is one of the more fun classes out there. Mystic is too - but I'm partial to Warden.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

Mystics are no slower to level up than a warden just to say. The do very very well. This is coming from someone who has at least one of every healer and multiple wardens & mystics (because yay mystics & wardens). They used to be a chore to level up many many years ago back when both templars & defilers had better solo ability. After the advent of AA's, especially the class specific trees that have the melee conversions they level very easily.

The biggest advantage IMO a warden has over mystics is ports. I just made my main mystic a tinker so I have some ports anyway & with guildhalls & leaderboards with portal items for housing it's not that big of a disadvantage.

Warden and Fury, if you want to melee, go Warden. Furies are nice, they are fine healers, but have had a bad rap in the past due to the sheer numbers of them that played like they were mini-wizards and not a priest class. They have very nice spell dps potential but they are healers at heart.

To deal with shapeshifting if you don't like or want to see your form just type /hideillusion. You never have to see your shapeshifted form ever. Just want to point out the only priest classes who do not shapeshift with their personal buffs are the two clerics (inquisitor & templar). Mystics become a big bear, wardens a wolf, furies are a mountain lion & defilers are a smoky purple figure. You can also stack your illusions in such a way you see the one you want to see (though sometimes when you zone it shifts). The first one you cast will be the one you see. So for instance when I want my mystic to use her barbarian illusion I cast that then I recast myself buffs and whatever else I have that has an illusion effect.
  8. GDINE New Member

When you hide the illusions do other players see you as that illusion? So what I'm gathering I have either revenue heals with warden or "shields" with mystic? So for my group it doesn't matter ill still be able to heal with mystic but able to debuff as well. Sounds intriguing to say the least. So comparing melee dps who is more efficient? I don't see a lot of mystics out And about and furthermore I don't see a lot of threads regarding mystics which depending on how you look at it is a little concerning.
  9. GDINE New Member

When you hide the illusions do other players see you as that illusion? So what I'm gathering I have either revenue heals with warden or "shields" with mystic? So for my group it doesn't matter ill still be able to heal with mystic but able to debuff as well. Sounds intriguing to say the least. So comparing melee dps who is more efficient? I don't see a lot of mystics out And about and furthermore I don't see a lot of threads regarding mystics which depending on how you look at it is a little concerning.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you have hide illusion on, everybody sees your toon w/o illusions.
    Both warden and mystic can do good solid dps. In my raid force, I'm in a group with a mystic and I'm usually a tad ahead of him on dps for most fights.
    Both healers can do good solid healing and good solid dps. Wardens are better for cures and have more what I call 'Oh <bleep>!' abilities to use if things go south, but mystics have significantly more debuffs then wardens.
    The 'cadence' of the two classes is quite different though. Wardens are a fast casting, but they also have to react quickly. Mystics are a bit slower casting, but with their wards they (usually) don't have to be quite as fast off the mark to prevent things from going south.
  11. GDINE New Member

Sounds like then the warden with being faster. There both so interesting but I don't want to roll both. Sorry for the double post earlier I don't know how to remove it and I'm posting all this on my phone so not the most friendly forum setup for me lol.
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

As other posters have said - if you hide your illusions, no one sees them. The difference between the two healers is that Warden has only direct heals (initial heal plus heals over time are 'read' by the game as direct heals) and a Mystic has Wards.

Heal mechanics of the game 'read' Wards first, Reactive heals second and direct heals 3rd. Although a Warden is a powerhouse healer, if you are teamed with either a shaman or cleric, depending on the damage being taken, you may not get a heal in edgewise. When a heal parse is looked at (which is a stupid thing to do, given this mechanic...but people still do it..), it appears as though the shaman has done an amazing job keeping everyone alive, while the Warden 'didn't heal much'. Healing in EQ2 is represented by your chance to heal, not how much you are able to actually heal for. Every one you cast, depending on the type, doesn't have an equal chance to heal - unless you are solo healing.

For this reason, many people like to play shamans, and think that druids are 'weak' healers...when this isn't at all true. Later on in the game, healer types are wanted for their buffs and debuffs because a skilled healer can keep anyone alive on any of the heal classes - the desirability of any given class boils down to: what ELSE do you bring to the table?

Mystics have really amazing group buffs, and some decent debuffs. Wardens have weaker buffs, not amazing debuffs (although a mage kind of likes elemental debuffs...) but really excellent Death Save abilities. A Mystic 'feels' slower playing than a Warden - larger, more stately casting and cast times for larger amounts at a time. Bigger, sweeping swings for damage, etc. A Warden is very quick casting, quick hitting, fast healing.

It really, truly, honestly ends up at which class you like. You shouldn't suffer through the game playing a class you hate.
  13. GDINE New Member

Your right about what else the class bring to the table. And truthfully I think that is what I'm concerned about. Again ill be grouping with the guardian and wizard so whatever would bring the heals and utility to the fight. We are all new players and don't have much. Such a valid point on what else can you bring to the table.
  14. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Lots of wizards I've played with have preferred wards over direct heals. They like the idea of being able to get as much damage in while taking none...their damage paradigm hopes they can kill the thing before your ward is breached. Guardians just want someone that will keep them alive while they take the attention off the damage dealers (because they don't do a whole lot comparatively).

Either healer would be just fine for this trio. Seriously - pick the one you like best...or the one that Sounds like it would be most fun to play for you.
  15. Mae- Well-Known Member

I have both, and I LOVE both. Mystics are extremely powerful healers, but their main cripple is one single group cure, which is a detriment in higher level/high end playstyles. It will not hurt you at all as you level up. I personally find the warden more fun, they have more DPS spells, but do require casting heals more often (tho they cast faster) as they don't last as long as wards do. The Mystic i would use above anything else for any difficult encounters, as the survivability is a bit higher with wards vs HOTs.
  16. Jeorge Member

I'm biased towards Warden, but I'm enjoying Mystic quite a bit.

One thing I've noticed, it feels like all of the healing of the Mystic is in the wards. When they drop, the other heals cast so slowly it's like there's no point in even using them. Idk if this changes, but that's one thing that makes me still prefer the warden. Every heal I cast feels useful... Not that I've had any issues with the Mystic at all with healing, it's just something I've noticed. But keep in mind that my mystic is still in the 40s and that all of the healers get drastically different once they get to around 70 and can max their cast speed.

If you really wanna boil it down to extreme fundamentals- Are you a spazz or a more patient person? Warden heals are really fast and short-lived. You have to keep on top of them a bit more at lower levels, but later they get so many deathsaves it's not even an issue. I find I can almost artificially inflate the difficulty of something by just not healing, and not have too many problems.

I can't speak for Mystic at high levels, but their heals are slower and their groups are more stable. That doesn't mean they have issues but... Group with a Druid and you'll see, the health bar doesn't stay in the same place for more than half a second. With Shamans it just kinda sits there. That's why I find druids more fun, and like has been said, their heals have the highest potential, and I guess that makes it more fun for me. I know you don't want to, but you could pick one and then roll the other and see if your groupmates would be cool with doing two groups. Warden Zerker is an awesome duo that is not so much the FOTM (That'd be SK and Defiler/Inq.)
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

Early on, Mystics are pretty slow going. Even by level 40, your cast speed is still pretty slow. Hang in there...mystics are darn good solo'ers once you get going. Max out your cast speed via armor and adorns though. Reforging is another way to get some cast speed if you have AoD.

I have both...a lvl 93 warden and a lvl 95 mystic...but my level 95 mystic is by far my favorite healer.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

Mystics have 2 group heals. Both reload pretty quickly too once if you max reuse.
  19. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree...once you get close to max casting speed, it's not at all painful to play a shaman. All the healers are pretty much equal healers at max level in good gear. The issue is always the nut behind the keyboard.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

I should specify...mystics have 2 group heals if you spec for ancestral channelling in the heroic tree. AC is a darn good group heal too. Worth every single aa.