Wanted additions to default UI

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Deson, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-ScottAdams4 Guest

Long ago you could right click and unlock icons and move them and then right click and lock them in place. Now you have to first show the hotbar settings window and unlock them there.
    Could we please have it in the right bar menu again?
  2. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

Deson wrote:
    Seriously? You need me to give you a list?
    • Exploring
    • Questing
    • Mentoring
    • Answering questions
    • Trading
    • Buying and Selling on the Broker
    • Decorating and re-decorating
    • Crafting
    • Roleplaying
    • Drinking
    • Dancing
    • Chatting
    • Fighting content that doesn't require maximized performance from any one group member
    I could go on.

Powers &8^]
  3. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Powers wrote:
    Seriously? None of that relevant to to the point that if you are in a group to adventure and be the best you can at your role, the current UI fails to inform you of a key game concept and how to effectively use it. Your last item listed is perfect to this point. I'm not saying we should detrimentally emphasize combat in a game with more to it however, combat is a huge part of the game and people should be given the proper tools by default. AA bar is one of those features.
  4. ARCHIVED-tkia Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    If you do this can you make that edit mode display every possible window? Currently to configure a complete UI you have to cast something, go drown yourself, find an npc that's targetting something and do a bunch of harvesting in between tweaks to the message window. Great fun ;)
  5. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

The ProfitUI's Broker Window should be incorporated as the primary Broker window for EQ2.
    Although there's a few extra things that the common person might not want or need, the fact that you can have both the broker search AND your sales crates up side-by-side makes managing your broker boxes 100x easier.
  6. ARCHIVED-Nimbrithil Guest

Something I would love to have. A target above the head of a quest mob. How many of us have been running from point A to point B, got agro and killed a mob only to get an update. And we've all said "Wow,, Guess i need these. Would be nice to lknow though.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nayawk Guest

Nimbrithil wrote:
    You do know though... its in your journal. Keeping track of your quests is part of the game.
  8. ARCHIVED-DukeOccam Guest

Nayawk wrote:
    It doesn't always give you the name of the mob(s) you need. And besides, NPCs you need to hail are (usually) in your journal, and they get the book icon, so why not mobs you need to kill too?
  9. ARCHIVED-Boyar Guest

Noaani wrote:
    At this point modders don't have access to the spell or detrimental effects window, but they do have access to the maintained window. I've already seen a custom maintained window specifically for defilers, which I've though about further modding to track my illy dots and duration effects. If I understand it right, it works like a normal maintained window, but collapses all the cells that have spells that aren't in the list of what you want to see.
  10. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

Deson wrote:
    Look, my original statement was "There's a lot more to this game than maximizing DPS". My point stands.

Powers &8^]
  11. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Powers wrote:
    Look my original statement was on the importance of AA, my point stands. Your concerns have nothing to do with giving people the tools they need to properly utilize what's already in the game. No one suggested making decorating combat based with dps checks.
    Powers wrote:
    That's your first post I saw and your were promptly informed it already is due to the state of Auto attack. You may as well have been saying you don't want recasts displayed for spells. It is what it is and right now it's an important aspect of play for people doing current content that play melee classes because DPS is important to both dps classes and tanks that want to hold max aggro. Run any moderately challenging zone and DPS is a key aspect. The default UI should make it easier for players to recognize and utilize the full potential of their abilities and right now that includes auto attack.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Deson wrote:
    QFE!
    If they advocated making the casting bar hidden for half of the mages' and priests' spells, it would be about the same as it is now for melee (and ranged). They're affected by a CURRENTLY IN THE GAME mechanic which requires timing swings to using CAs. The CAs have a cast bar and a cool down indicator but they thing they are used in conjunction with doesn't in the default UI. Scouts and fighters are not mages or priests, they don't have spells as their sole means of having an effect on the target. They have weapons and those weapons are set to an autoattack (for the convenience of the player). Each swing, though, of that weapon has a 'delay' (like the casting and cool down of a spell) but that delay is currently hidden.
    It could, though, be argued (and has been) that mages and priests don't have an auto-attack for their spells... but for ever single spell, there is a visual cue for when it will fire, when it is ready to be triggered, and so on.
  13. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Thud@Befallen wrote:
    I've looked at that UI mod (or one that does the same thing), but without access to teh Spell Effects window, there is nothing UI modders are able to do.
  14. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Rijacki, I *play* melee characters almost exclusively. From reading the boards, I learned that auto-attacks won't go off if you're casting spells and CAs constantly, although I usually have enough pause between them that I get plenty of swings in. But now I find myself having to think about it, and it's not fun. Adding a little widget to tell me when to pause isn't going to be any more fun; in fact, it will be worse if it goes in, because people with whom I group will start expecting me to do the whole timing thing perfectly.
    And by the way, mages and priests have weapons and auto-attacks too. Though I'm learning on my wizard that it's a pain that it doesn't come on automatically when I cast a spell.

Powers &8^]
  15. ARCHIVED-Grumpy_Warrior_01 Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    This is a great thread, and I'm sorry I missed commenting while it was still fresh. The developer responses are much appreciated.
    Some things I would like to see are:
    1. In the raid window on the tooltip for each raider, would like to see what zone they are in, similar to the group window.
    2. If you won't give us access to the cursor resources, would you consider a toggle command to allow the Windows system cursor to track over the in-game cursor? I'm not a kid anymore, and neither are my eyes, and typical screen resolutions have increased a lot since 2004 making the cursor get smaller and smaller. I am often frustrated while grouping and raiding trying to find that blasted little black and gold smidgen of a pointer in the middle of particle effects exploding all over the screen. If you would allow the system cursor to optionally track over top of the in-game cursor, then we could use the extra-large, solid white Windows pointer to keep up with it.
    3. On the subject of the autoattack swing timer, it seems like the same cooldown visuals we currently get for combat arts and spells (the gray windowshade overlay that gradually gets smaller and smaller) would be ideal to use on the autoattack button. It would be on-brand and would not be distracting to new players or veterans. Someone else had an excellent idea about a circular countdown timer around the perimeter of the threat meter (kind of like the blue Heroic Opportunity sweep timer I imagine) that would be easier to watch, if somewhat more distracting.
    4. The idea in the quote above about adding a drag mode to the F10 toggle is a great one, but what about making the opacity mode also be the drag mode? Opacity mode is already nothing more than a utility for locating lost windows, I don't imagine anybody actually plays the game in that mode. So it seems perfect for adding the ability to authoritatively reposition the windows.
    5. I'm glad the hotbars are being looked at for wasted space, I think that has annoyed many players. I hopped on Test to try them out and they are much more streamlined now, but there is still a problem. Once you get the icon size down below 40 pixels (which is really huge tbh), the spinner control still causes excess blank space to appear under a horizontal hotbar. If you get your hotbars packed together without the spinners, turning one on will obscure the hotbar below it. Here are two pictures, both have 32x32 icons. The only difference on the second image is the spinners are turned on. Maybe the spinner should resize proportionally as the icon size changes?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Indeed, my biggest complaint about the hotbars is illustrated in the above pictures: Turning on spinners enlarges the hotbar footprint.
  17. ARCHIVED-Spirited Guest

Powers wrote:
    If you're pausing between ca's, and getting plenty of swings in as you say, then what are you worried about? And I'm assuming you've experienced pugs and guild groups, where someone /always/ has act going off after every named fight -- so you're group 'rank' in the dps chart obviously doesn't bother you. So, even if SoE implement an aa bar as standard, you can carry on playing the game the way you want to play it. No problem, surely?
    As for me, I'd welcome an aa bar. EQ2 combat is spammy to the extreme, ugh. It's probably my biggest issue with the game. I have a 3rd party aa bar, and using it gives me an all too brief respite between hammering my attacks like a zombie.
    Also, I have an 80 bruiser. The aa bar is an invaluable tool enabling me to roleplay a dps class. I'M LIVIN THE DREAM GUYS.
  18. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

Rothgar could we make the track (NPC and Divining Rod) windows narrower?
    I have a lot of space on the right side of the window that is completely blank and unused and I can't make the window any narrower than it is now, which wastes a lot of my screen space.
    Another thing that I would help a lot ont eh broke is to have a column for the "special" chosen for search and to be able to sort by that column.
    For instance if I am searching for wis gear I want to be able to sort through items based on the amount of wis on them and have the column reflect that by clicking on the column header to have them display the most wis to the least wis.
  19. ARCHIVED-Malachani Guest

I thought about this last night. Make the friends window much more informational. Include level as well as zone and notes. Grey out if they're AFK like you can in the guild window. Class would be cool too, but might start to get cluttered at that point. I just have friends of so many degrees of levels and classes and it can be hard to keep track of who's who, and how fast they're progressing, without having to /who all of them. Plus if they're /role or /anon, /who isn't going to tell you anything anyway lol! (blocking that info when /role or /anon in friends window would be understandable)
  20. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Malachani wrote:
    Glad you posted that.
    Add:
    Friends window to work like the LFG window: If my friends have LFG up it should show. At the very least I should be able to send tells to friends directly from that window and it should be every bit as informative as the LFG screen.