Info Needed Waiting for zone server.................

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jovie, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Feara Well-Known Member

Full download mode

7/10 - a few long zoning times into Guild Hall but did not crash.
    7/11- no issues.
    7/15 to 7/21 - longer zoning times into Homes.
    7/22 - 8:33 pm central, could not zone into Guild Hall, forced exit.
    7/24 - 7:57 pm central, could not zone into Home from door, forced exit after a few minutes.
    7/26 - 7:57 am central, could not zone into Guild Hall, forced exit after a few minutes.
    7/27 - 3:33 pm central, could not zone into Home from door, forced exit.
    7/28 - 7:23 am central, could not zone into Home from door, forced exit after 5 minutes.
    7/29 to 8/4 - no issues.
    Twyla and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, that is weird... :-/

Lately what's been going on with me is not so much getting hung up while zoning (though it does take inordinately long if at least someone, I guess preferably me, hasn't been in a particular zone [including a house type or guild hall, though even outdoor zones seem to be sluggish] in like the last 5 minutes or so) but more like I go to /camp desktop and it goes through all the motions, counting down from 20 seconds, then after 0, the current background music, depending on where my toon was, switches to what sounds like "generic zoning music"...and THEN it hangs. X-P

I get a "Not responding" sort of message, and I often have to go into Windows Task Manager and kill the 3-4 .exes I have running there with the equivalent of an axe and a sledgehammer to finally get them to close out. X-P

What I've been trying to do about that is just /camp to Character Select, and then hitting Exit or the Windows red X in the upper right corner from there. There's a tiny bit of "Not responding" pause, but that only lasts a few seconds and doesn't always occur.

I'm not sure if my current woes are in any way related, but I strongly suspect more now that they might be, simply due to the music changing. :-/

Uwk
    Twyla and Feara like this.
  3. Noknok Member

Any of my characters, zoning into my 4 Bayle court houses. On the EU live server Klopklop, Noknok, Toktok, just pick one.
    The problem seems to get worse. About 1 in 10 times now.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Taled Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, in my experience, 99.9% of the time this happens is when you are zoning into a zone that has to spin up on the server and the server just.. doesn't spin it up fast enough. So your client hangs and times out.

It *does* occasionally happen in already spun up instances, but that is far more unusual.
    Tkia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Twyla Well-Known Member

I've noticed its usually RL time related for me. For example: when peeps are getting off work or out of school, then 'waiting for zone server' pops up no matter where I'm trying to go, GH, house (any house), or many zones (in particular Raj'Dur Plateaus. Most other times it hardly pops up for me. I put it down to too many people trying to log in at the same time.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Taled like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been awhile since we've had the "Trying login server #1" mythical notice pop up (so called because I'm always firmly convinced "login server #1" doesn't exist, but that may be me), and then go to "Trying login server #2," then #3, etc. without it being 7 am PDT on a Tuesday. :-/

One thing that caught my eye only tonight (well, on the 6th ;->) was a whole long list of Microsoft notices that neither Win7 nor Microsoft really bothered to bring to my attention beyond a fleeting glimpse of an error message at the time it happens (my advice for those wanting to share more info with the devs/techs: if that does come up again, see if there isn't more info to go with the message, and take a screenshot of it).

On Win7, in Show Hidden Icons, revealing said icons might show the li'l "golf flag" icon. Clicking on that (Solve PC Issues) could bring up "Check for solutions to unreported problems" which might bring up "Open Action Center" which might bring up -- oh, carp, they wiped that huge list they'd had (36 times EQ2 had crashed, mainly 'cause I'd had to kill it to finally leave the program). That'll teach me to listen to Microsoft... X-P

Uwk
  7. Evilary Well-Known Member

I have an older computer running Windows 7 and a 1 year old laptop running Windows 11. The older computer has an older hard drive, the laptop has a SSD. Both have 8 gigs ram. Desktop hard lined into the internet, laptop running off wifi. Laptop could run circles around the desktop except for windows 11 bogging it down. Internet is speedtest.net at 211 mbps.

Logging in hangs on waiting on zone server... This happens each time I zone into an empty zone that the server has to fully render. It gets worse the more often I zone. I do a weekly check of all my characters to see if their merc needs training, etc. I have 10 active characters, so that is 10 times I log off and load a new zone. At least once I will time out and get booted back to character select if I use /camp "character" to speed the process up.

I tried to revive my old characters on test server. There was only 2 other people on the whole server. That meant almost every zone had to be loaded. There was no way I could handle the wait time and wonder if this is the zone that will crash me to character select.

I gave most stats above. I gave examples of it happening. Honestly, grab a desktop or laptop that can run EQ2. Create an account instead of using company accounts. Create a character or 2 on test server. Go places that there is no one. Create a few homes, don't even have to furnish, empty is as bad as fully stocked. If you need any more information, please be specific and I will provide what I can. I am sure others will as well. It is sad this is only seeming to get worse as time goes on and this was on page 3 with no updates.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Twyla like this.