Velious and the Vampires!

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-betatester7, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

DrkVsr wrote:
    That's just a part of the problem. We can't win against him. So what if we set him back a step or two, maybe he has another plan or more working in the background, maybe he pretended to lose, maybe he wanted us to win, maybe what we did was part of his plan all along. It just gets worse from there. The simple fact of the matter is, that it isn't fun to go up against something....when the only option is failure.
  2. ARCHIVED-Rezikai Guest

Morghus wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Morghus wrote:
  4. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Like I said, I am basing it on prior experience. I have little to no doubt that Kerafyrm will be either 'a' or 'the' raid boss of the expansion, as such, unless he makes multiple appearances throughought Velious, either via instances, quests, or otherwise....he will have very little exposition and will remain invisible for the entirety of the expansion. An unseen threat, with nothing but talk about him, and no real visible evidence of him being an actual threat.
    Such is the nature of figures in the lore that are made raid mobs. They get a one-liner or two at most and nothing more. No explanation of their motivations, no explanation of their recent conquests, or how they became such a great and present threat that you must face them now. Why we are even really at odds with them aside from this quest says you go here and kill stuff.
    I mean, aside from our mythical weapons....we apparently kill our way through Veeshan's Peak because some custodian said so? Really?
    And you misunderstand my other point. I have no personal preference to those characters, so much as a deep seated irritation at multiple missed opportunities to have more than just one or two big players in the story. However, they obviously are hastily written out of being viable story or plot hooks so that Mayong and Nagafen cannot have their positions usurped.
    There are just many loose ends as far as introduced characters go, and missed opportunities to expand on such. I mean I was pretty sure there was some kind of relationship between Venekor, Toxxulia, and Trakanon hinted at somewhere, and that Venekor ikely is not gone for good. Yet not only have we not seen anything of him, but the other two characters in relation to him have little to no substance or impact on the story aside from being killed, and in Toxxulia's case, mentally imprisoned.
    I fully expect for example, that Delahnus from SF will have no mention at all in Velious or beyond, despite there being hints from Devs at there being more to that, as quite a bit gets put on some backburner and forgotten.
    It just irritates me when things are hinted at, or given very little explanation, as though it will later lead into something greater, and then there simply being nothing. It would be like the story revolving around Aeteok and Enoxus never being resolved. What if everything referring to those two blades ended with Swords of Destiny/Claymore and nothing ever came from that despite how much is hinted at or built up around them?
    Clearly that is not the case, but what if it was? What if the void invasion just came and went with no reasoning, if Roehn Theer never appeared in the lore outside of being mentioned here and there and the blades are never mentioned again.
  5. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
  6. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Personally, I don't mind the Vamps. I was ok with the idea since Bloodline Chronicles, and was hoping it would happen back then.
    I am a little disappointed that it seems to have implications that point elsewhere, as I was hoping thet this would involve the Ydal and their backlore.
    I am just curious atm to see what the models look like.
  7. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Oh....thanks! You just gave my main a new goal.
  8. ARCHIVED-Wilin Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    You're trying to make an argument based on several ideas that are full of uncertainty.
    First, there's nothing that says the effect of past actions cannot appear somewhere down the line. So, the "few years" argument doesn't hold much water. All past lore is fair game for use. That's also why there is no such thing as a necropost on the lore forums.
    Second, storytelling is not an exact science. The lore could easily be written so that everyone is cursed, but only a select few will manifest the transformation. Hence, 1/account.
    And Gninja already weighed in on my thread above (just a month ago) and called you on your denial that there are implications of the NotD activities.
    So, I could be totally wrong or I could be partially wrong(maybe we won't end up exhibiting both vampire and werewolf traits at some point). All we have at this point is that Gninja has disagreed with your denial and some possible reinforcement in this thread along with the announcement of this vampire race. All of this doesn't necessarily mean I was right, but it's encouraging.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

All GNinja did was remind me of the Erollisi day lore, which I admit i had slipped my mind at the time when I posted and said that no holiday other than Frostfell had any lingering effect on the rest of the world so far. So far, NoTD hasn't, and I still doubt it ever will.
  10. ARCHIVED-Darth Stomper Guest

Morghus wrote:
  11. ARCHIVED-Uncaged Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Actually, I believe Gninja was responding to your claim NotD and other seasonal events were not tied to canon in anyway and specifically was referring to NotD when he said "Are you sure?". Perhaps this is indeed where the lore will trace back to. A attack before we entered the haunted house.
  12. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

So, the Vampire race will only be available to accounts that have paid status in December-February? That sucks. My account is stuck on "Pending" status so I don't get paid account rewards, and it won't let me switch to paid until this expires in April. It was annoying missing out on LoN monthly cards, but losing out on a whole race just because your system won't let me pay is really unfair :(
  13. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Foolsfolly wrote:
    Pending means you are paid up until your subscription expires.
  14. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

Well I hope you're right...but the fact that I'm not getting LoN cards due to un-paying account still gives me cause to worry :(
  15. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

As to the originator of the Freebloods, there are seemingly 2 likely suspects. Tserrina, and Marcus Thex.
    the other vampire clans...the D'morte, and T'haen's brood...seem to have thier own ties to Mayong. Malkonis and T'haen both were looking to usurp power. now D'morte supposedly come from the Ewer...but T'haen I don't think we learn his origin. for all we know he's one of mayong's 'children'. Tserrina is a child of mayong, and supposed former lover. alot of the info we have on vampirism implies very much a dracula/anne rice type format. once your turned, your no longer a human in any way physically besides your appearance. you can feel emotion..but that's about the only 'human' thing about you.
    the name freeblood may imply that they are the brood/allied to Marcus, the former freethinker turned vampire by clan leaders in evernight abbey. perhaps we'll find out that Leyna and Marcus are back together and are ruling over thier own brood as mother/father figures.
    My money though is that Tserrina is the originator of the Freebloods. she seems the kind that respects mayong, even if she doesn't want anything to do with him..so she's not against him, but doesn't work for/with him. hence her brood are 'free' to do as they please. Tserrina isn't looking to overthrow anyone or usurp mayong or the like. she's content in her Tower...insane with a severe case of OCD about her wedding day.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

Re: the race being once "per account"
    I think that means the racial unlock, since it impacts the account as a whole so you can create new vampires. I am going to guess (perhaps incorrectly) that other people will have to do a quest to unlock the race (remember frogloks), but the rest of us get it as a gimme.
    That aside.. ttobey said they have toes. From a character model point of view, that's huge to me since I run around barefoot. Unless they're fugly, I can see a race change or two in my future. :p
  17. ARCHIVED-DeBasilisk Guest

My hope is that it's not a perfectly new race, with a city and all that entails, but like Cusa suggested, simply a template you can apply to one of your characters. Freeblood doesn't sound evil to me. To me it implies that it's a vampire who has broken free of the curse to their master, but retains vampiric properties. From an rp perspective, players think of their character as having been bitten in, say, the NOTD, and then freed themselves of the need for blood, allegiance to other vampires etc.
    That's my guess. I'd say likely template characteristics would be red eyes, no reflection in any mirror, pale skin, minor stat bonus during night or moon...stuff like that.
    I've personally never been fond of vampires in EQ, but they've been there since the beginning so who can argue?
    If it is a template and not an alt, I'll apply it to my Iksar Necro and say I stumbled across an ancient manuscript written by Chosooth and underwent the ritual myself in a bid for power. That lore is cool for me. =)
  18. ARCHIVED-Shareana Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=445320&post_id=5463506 Avoidance of the filter is not allowed per the forum guidelines. Please do not try to avoid the language filter.
  19. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Non-SOGA Ogres have toes. See? The big toe is even seperate from the rest of them.

[IMG]
  20. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    If I recall correctly, that was from the flagging quests in Depths of Darkhollow... part of gaining access to Mayong's citadel in Dreadspire Keep.