Velious and the Vampires!

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-betatester7, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-betatester7 Guest

FEBRUARY 8, 2011 REWARDS

Ice Wolf Mount
    New Freeblood Vampire Race <--

Who are the freeblood? new lore , old lore? just marketing stuff?

what do we know about vampires and Velious?

discuss please!
  2. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

Teir'Dal Tserrina Syl`Tor was Mayong Mistmoore's student and then his partner. Her Tower of Frozen Shadow in Velious was going to become a new vampiric stronghold. Which was also inline with his polts as he was able to keep a closer watch on the dragons of Velious from there. Tserrina was granted the "gift" of vampirism by Mayong Mistmoore during their engagement. Tserrina was obsessed with pleasing her soon to be husband. She started researching and experimenting with the art of trapping a soul in inanimate objects. She managed to trap the soul of a dragon in a stone. She presented it to Mayong as a present to her betrothed as well as the skeletal dragon that accompanied it. As soon as Mayong had realized what she had done he called her and her beast an abomination and banished her from his sight. After the falling out, Tserrina was driven mad and fled to her tower forcing the Tower to remain in the same perpetual state that it was on her wedding day. Wedding party and all.
  3. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

So they're Tserrina's brood.
  4. ARCHIVED-Shemyaza Guest

ttobey wrote:
    is the lore on that page linked official canon lore regarding the origins of mayong? if it is, you just destroyed one of the most interesting and mysterious characters in eq lore in one second rate sub fan-fiction paragraph.
    oh well.
  5. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Shemyaza wrote:
    That is canon lore that was around since Velious in EQlive.
  6. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Meh, true or not is meaningless to me. The less time wasted developing an already stale character and its ilk, the better. Maybe we will finally have someone else in the spotlight rather than having to talk with, or otherwise deal with Mayong returning again and again, somehow more smug and detestable with each subsequent appearance. The day he is gone, will be good riddance.
    I wonder when our charactes will stop being written as idiots accidentally helping him all the time.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

we haven't been written in as idiots helping him all the time. in fact the only time we do 'help' mayong is during RoK, adn at that point we're 'idiots' helping the Void by doing what a possessed Fiddy tells us to do. Mayong basically cleans up the mess and tells us to hold on to the chelsith stone until he needs it, and/or us. he encourages us to get stronger.
    the other times we've dealt with mayong it's been either somethign he coudl care less about, ie the reclaiming of soulfire. or we've put a crimp in his plans ie the tunarian throne room.
    I think keeping him around is a great idea. he can be the hidden mover and shaker, you can hang a hundred plots on him, and because he's so old, and long since mastered the arts of diplomacy, seduction, and who knows what arcane power...he stops being just 'dragon-01' and something more. he's both protagonist and villian.
    Mayong is probably as much if not moreso iconic to EQ as Fironia Vie or Al'Kabor ever were. and he's never just 'the villian' he does things for his own reasons..even if we the players don't know what they are. and it's a reason I love the character. he's not just the meglomanic villian like Cristanos or Lucan or Venril or Kerafyrm...if he's even really a villian at all.
  8. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

I don't disagree that such a character should be utilized, Mayong's overall presentation and demeanor however are what rub me the wrong way. He is never respectful, he never acknowledges you, the player as anything more than an insect despite being put in his place by us many times.
    He, is as a character one who will continually scale in the lore so that we remain insignificant in comparison to retain the illusion of his power when pitted against us. While other characters such as Roehn Theer, Venril, and Trakanon, each of whom may as well be just as if not more threatening and capable of similar machinations and plot development are simply tossed off because they are not him.
    Are we thus to believe that Mayong is more powerful than any and all of those I have mentioned? More powerful than Kerafyrm with Aeteok and Enoxus as well simply because he has plot armor?
  9. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

ttobey wrote:
    Actually that story is not canon to what happened between Tserrina and Mayong but I will let you guys find out the true story after Feb. Just didn't want you guys running with that and discussing it wihtout knowing if it was canon to our lore or not.
    In regards to the origins of the Freebloods you will just have to wait and see. Suffice it to say you might have already taken part in some of the story!
  10. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Gninja wrote:
    Well now, that is interesting to hear. I do enjoy seeing the consequences of player actions represented in-game and acknowledged. Speaking of such though, is Vrewwx's story done? I noticed that there does not appear to be a new Frostfell quest in relation to him. And After beating him both easy and hard mode in the raid zone he is simply put back to sleep regardless of the path you take. Also fyi....slightly disappointed there is no adult Vrewwx plushie to buy for 250 epic Eci tokens!
  11. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

A little off topic but I'll bite :) Vrewwx may or may not show up later down the line. After all you guys havent seen what part to play he was speaking of in past events. Invading his lair was just an unexpected event that happaned which he did not foresee.
  12. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

Gninja wrote:
    im still not sure how he went from two legs to being on all four with his adult form.
    would be nice to have kept him a two legged kind.
    and he better not just be some raid target.... he sounded like a potentol ally.
  13. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

shadowscale wrote:
    Well, to be fair his adult form wasn't exactly natural. He was aged through magic at the last second to be able to fight us. It also likely is just a discrepency from using that model since an actual baby dragon would likely be on all fours.
  14. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Do they get a stat decrease in the daylight? Please say yes.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

It's also possible that a baby dragon can carry itself on two legs because its upper body hasn't developed the heavy flight muscles and skeletal support it will need for flying. As the dragon ages (naturally or otherwise), that upper body development may become too much for their elongated backs to support on two legs for any extended time.
    Back on topic - vampires! Admittedly, I was disappointed we didn't get othmir for a player race. But I'm eager to see what the vampires are like. I'm sort of hoping for penalties and buffs that are related to time of day and location - remains fairly even in dungeons or perpetual-gloom zones like Nek and LP, some bonuses at night and a dot or debuff during the day in the majority of overland zones.
    I trust the devs to not make them sparkle in sunlight by default, but I'm also betting SOMEONE is going to put in a quest that makes us deal with some glitter-obsessed vampire - possibly with a toggleable sparkly effect as a reward. Which might be reason enough for me to go check out PVP...
    Edit: Or instead of a reward, we get the glitter spilled all over us and sparkle until we complete the next step - getting the stuff off!
  16. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I'm still sick at the thought that SoE would even go there with the whole vampire/undead player race. It's just so cliche no matter how you spin it.
    Anyways, that's rather interesting for a developer to be corrected by another developer like that.

I had always heard it was Mayong who stood her up on her wedding day.

Personally, I'm going to speculate that since the Promo info is saying "One Per ACCOUNT", I'm guessing that it's a free racial change to get new racial abilities and *MAYBE* a slight facelift. Basically turning your current character into a vampire.
  17. ARCHIVED-Rezikai Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I think Gninja is commenting not on TTobey's write up but on the wiki link that says Mayong was some elddar elf that left Tunare for Innoruuk or whatever.
    -Topic- .... Vamps...
    back in EQOA I RP'd to be a vamp hunter born to the desert gyspies... then EQOA introduced Vampire as a Lycan/Subclass players could become.. and yes... i touched the dark side of the moon.
    /purchases a character slot.
    Freebloods those not under Mayongs thumb, possibly Malkonis' / Tsserina.. maybe Marcus joins thier ranks.
  18. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Why couldn't they have been giving a cool name, like Frostbite, instead of Freeblood :p
  19. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Why couldn't they have made orcs playable, rather than vampires?

Or gave us an old-model orc illusion that can wear all the armor we can, like they could back before DoF.
  20. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Gninja is always smacking me down with his lore stick. He thinks he's lore-iffic.