Vah shir!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Iceyx, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Shaylok Guest

Kinda off the subject but on the same note as this topic, would like to add that the frogloks looked much better in EQ1 as well. They were so cute they were kissably cute. Now they look like clumsy, ugly toads with disproportionately large heads. Wish they had kept the old model.
  2. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

now take that white tiger kerran and take a picture from the side, and then tell me his face don't look like someone ran it into a brick wall until they flattened it.

his ears belong on a teddy bear, not a feline humanoid.

the vah shir/kerran interbreed race is supposedly to be at the same strength levels as a barbarian, maybe a bit more. yet they have the build of an average human. combined with thier tall frame, they look lanky and thin. particularly the female model.

thier claws are all but non-existant.

his face looks flabby. not exactly a 'predatory' look to it at all. looks more like he's spent too much time with the halflings.

the kerran of eq2 looks like they took eq1 kerran model, put it on a troll body, and then gave it a visual 'upgrade'. problem is Kerran of Eq1 look absolutely horrendous to begin with.

unless in the lore the Kerrans of Kerra Isle had a MUCH bigger area of control then that little fishing village on Kerra Isle and the island in Odus crossing...then it seems the Vah Shir subspeices was probably 2 or 3 times thier number. you'd think the 'old kerran' would just get bred out until the Vah Shir look/genetic traits would be so dominant that there might as well not be a 'kerran', and simply be a vah shir with a new fur pattern not found on Luclin.

I think most people that played EQ1 when they saw EQ2 having 'Kerrans' did what I did. though it was going to be a Vah Shir in EQ2 graphics. that the Vah Shir would still be around and be the dominant/leading clan.

instead we got a feline version of a troll.
  3. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

I just took a look at the Great Cats photo gallery on the Smithsonian website. IMO the ears are a bit smallish perhaps, but the shape is actually pretty realistic. Sure they could adjust the models to deviate a bit more from the human profile (especially since the sarnak models prove that is doable now), but I can't see how the current kerrans resemble furry trolls. The male kerran model, IMO, is pretty good. The female could use work, though. I that model make the teddy bear effect much more pronounced. The female great cats simply don't deviate from the male build as much as is shown in the kerran models.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arianah Guest

The Kerran and the Vah Shir never had the same body build. Sure, the Vah Shir were probably as strong and closer in physique to the barbarians, but the Kerrans were not. I would say the Kerran's are closer in build to the Humans, judging from the updated EQ1 graphic.

And just because one Kerran tribe got "moved" to Luclin in the explosion doesn't mean they all did, or the rest just died off. The other Kerran tribes remained on Norrath to continue their normal lives.

History of the Kerra

Though I agree the Kerrans of EQ2 don't look quite right, they're not going to arbitrarily make them look like the Vah Shir instead just because, unlike some games, EverQuest and EverQuest II actually have lore, history, a story, rhyme and reason - which I really enjoy about the games.

Here are some screenshots of the EQ1 Kerrans, including a new model that came out with the release of TBS (The Buried Sea):

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]

And here's a picture of the Vah Shir. They look similar, but the Kerrans are not quite as buff...
  5. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

What ever happened to bikinis/ +10 armor per square inch of skin showing on the females? XD

or fur I guess

not that im furry
  6. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Maybe they could add a kerran 'alternate appearance' that looks lik he Vah Shir...
  7. ARCHIVED-re1master Guest

I encourage Sony's continued war against furries. Second life was already invaded, now is time to prepare our defenses against them.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Kanesh_The_Mad wrote:
    You mean like how they do now? Just face it, They arn't gonna do that. Just accept what kind of genetic freaks you people have become.
  9. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

and even the kerrans in their new model certainly don't have their faces smashed in.

my comment about the present kerran being a furry troll is that they are hideously ugly, like a troll. they just have fur.

thier faces are smashed in, thier ears are too small, they all apparently got declawed, and thier build is more like an erudite (considering thier height) then a human or a barb.

a race that is supposed to be so powerful and agile and graceful...they simply don't look it.

I admitted already I wanted a vah shir model type.

because the vah shir had the build of a barb, a full feline face with ears to match, they had claws. they looked powerful, and still kept that aura of feline grace and fluid movement. they looked dangerous, they looked predatory.

these kerrans we got look like someone put a housecat on the Rack and stretched it to troll height after beating it's face in with a book.
  10. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

I don't think those pictures do the current Kerran look justice. I was able to make quite a fluffy looking female. I just popped into game to try my hand at making one as close to the Myrist Vah Shir picture that I could get.

Here's the front view:

[IMG]

And here's a side view:

[IMG]
  11. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

Finally someone sees what I do. I agree that the EQ2 Kerrans need a revamp. EQ1 Vah SHir look so much better. As for the Kerran at the bottom, it looks ok, but in this game, ok is barely cutting it. It still looks more human and the face looks very fat to me.
  12. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

Alexander@Guk wrote:
    This from someone with a Sarnak avatar. Furry, scaley, it is all the same.

And please lets not compare the population of Second Life to EQ2. As a lover of the anthropormorphic races, I share nothing else with some of the wierder furry community.
  13. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

TaleraRis, I hate to say this but that is hideous.

Before you respond, I will concede that to each their own.

I do hope they get a revamp though.
  14. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Unless I'm missing some file I don't have any alternate appearance for Kerrans, mate...

Besides, I'm not a kerran usually
  15. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

/incoming grammar police

It's Vah'Shir, and Kerra. NOT Kerran. They speak Kerran, but if you do a /who on a Kerra player, it says , "Kerra."

/end grammar police

From the lore as I understand it...

Portal between the moon and Norrath opens,
    Vah'Shir go through it and meet the then-Kerra,
    Moon explodes,
    The Vah'Shir on Norrath mate with the Kerra,
    And after x amount of years, you have what I would call, the Vah'Kerra, because the blood is now a mix.

Thats why you can't have pure Vah'Shir. There wouldn't have been enough of them to maintain pure bloodlines. And they are not snooty High Elves who craze themselves with purity of the bloodlines.

Now, as for current Kerra models, I think they look alittle block-ish on the males (very square chested). Male Kerra heads also look kinda box-ish, not a well-defined muzzle. Females look better in the face/muzzle area, but the breasts are a bit 'sloped' compared to all the other humanoid races, save Ratonga.

Note: Please excuse the Grammar Police. They have gotten used to the mis-term "Kerran", but c'mon, even when you make a new Kerra character, I'm pretty sure it says "Kerra (Class). :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Kittsune@Unrest wrote:
    It's Kerran. Look at the EQ1 screenshots above, and it says 'A kerran (insert type here)'. SO it's Kerran.

And I personally am just too lazy to type Vah'Shir. It's way outta my normal typing range..like.. a whole two keys!
  17. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

*squeeks* If my plan succeeds, there will be NO MORE Kerran's out there >< Ratongas for life! :D

WHISKERS 08!
  18. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

Kanesh_The_Mad wrote:
    Could be one of those funny English things having to do with.. English rules. (i.e, the corpse loot, "A Kerran Doll", or the house item, "A Kerran Chair") , but I betcha anything , the main eq2 sites say Kerra, in-game a %r (race) would say Kerra, and so would /who player. :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Arianah Guest

I think Kerra is the singular (?) word, and Kerran the plural... as in, the Kerran Race, or the Race of the Kerra. I dunno, Kerran just sounds right *shrug*

The history book says "History of the Kerra"...

And never have I seen "Vah'Shir" used, I have always seen Vah Shir, without the '

But we're getting off topic now lol.

I finished typing up the The Prophecy of Vah: A History of the Vah Shir book from EQ1, but since this thread is about the Kerran models I think it would be off topic to post it here...
  20. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

Perhaps it doesn't have the ' . I'm not perfect. (Shh!)

There is a tome collection from Forsaken City, "The History of the Vah'Shir, Volume X", where X is a number. I've spotted 3 i think, but never finished any of them. =(