Vah shir!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Iceyx, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

I am pretty new to the game, coming from WoW. Back in EQ1 I had an awesome looking Vah Shir bard. I collected all the masks, but never used them; my character was already great looking!

Kerrans on the other hand are freakish looking. Acually a good amount of the female models in this game are strange looking. But the one that hit hardest was kerrans!

Are there any plans to provide alternate models for kerrans in this game? I notice almost every other race aside from kerrans has the option.

Or any model editors out there for more vah shir looking kerrans?

I miss Vah Shir...

[inb4furry]
  2. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

If memory serves the alternate models were added to the non-beast races for the asian market quite a while back. So, no new alternate models. Assuming the fabled Skeletal Revamp happens then all models would be replaced with the new and improved stuff.
    As far as the Va Shir thing, I'm not an EQ1 vet, but IIRC that race was wiped out when Luclin went kaboom so they don't exist anymore... therefore I doubt they would be represented in any way. Sorry! *ducks*

**PS... You can always roll a ratonga. We're more fun than the kitties!**
  3. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Vah Shir and Kerrans are NOT the same. The Vah Shir were from Luclin, the Kerrans were an island race, can't remember where atm. Actually in EQ1 you could find them, fight them, etc, and they were taller and lankier, so the models are correct.

I do miss my old Vah Shir SHammy and his Drog though.. man.. wish they'd bring drogs back. That's like the top thing on my wish list.
  4. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

Yeah, i realize they are not the same race. I'd much prefer looking like a vah shir though. Does this game have any skinning sites at all?
  5. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

I've never seen one, but if you find one PLEASE let me know, so that I can find out how to do it. I'd be more than happy to make some new models and skins...

I love some of the current ones, but others.. nope. (I can't make my 'perfect dwarf' goddurnit)
  6. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

google fails me ;/ looks like people just aren't into that sort of thing with this game. Hell most of these searches bring up WoW model edits!
  7. ARCHIVED-Journee Guest

Kanesh_The_Mad wrote:
    I completely agree, I miss my old lumber lug of a mount my green droag. Considering that they came with the gulf of gunthak I don't know why they can't give them back to us, I miss gunthak as well.
    I agree with the Vah Shir looking better than the Kerrans. They island they came from was called Kerra Island btw hence they were Kerrans :)
    ~Journee~
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Mezzmyrelda@Unrest wrote:
    The Skeletal Revamp isn't giving the game new models. It's adding minor enhancements such as belly buttons, toes, and the ability to look straight ahead without your head resting at a natural slant.

The Kerrans in this game both are and are not the Vah Shir.
    when Luclin was sealed off from the rest of Norrath, all the Vah Shir adventurers who were trapped on Norrath decided to move in with the Kerra tribes on Odus. Through 400+ years of breeding, the Vah Shir's predatorial cat genetics merged together with the puny Kerra's. The result you have before you are the new Kerra, only called Kerra by name because they came from the same tribe.
  9. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Also People fail to consider that Kerran in EQ1 had launch graphics and Van Shir were the introduced at the same time as the graphical model upgrade in EQ1 and if you look at the difference in graphics the only significant difference between the Van Shir and Kerran graphics in EQ1 is that Van Shir get shirts and pants. And then EQ2 Kerran look pretty much exactly like the Van Shir only with options for facial ornaments. So no theres no Van Shir race coming or Van Shir looking alternate models because their already here. Get. Over. It. Theres only so much you can do with Cat people for pete's sake you either get what EQ2 has or Catgirls from FFXI.

edit: and for the record Van Shir were just a geographically isolated subspecies of Kerran in the first place who got teleported to the moon, which is why they were so easily able to interbreed post Luclin Kaboom.
  10. ARCHIVED-SisterTheresa Guest

Iceyx wrote:
    ??
    Skinning sites ...
    I can give you a ton for the Sims and Oblivion. I highly doubt SoE would even allow it.
    Only problem I have with the Kerra is .. they really don't look like cats. Even with messing with their faces, ears aren't high enough and their snout just can't sit right for a cat.
  11. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Wildmage wrote:
    Haha! The EQ2 Kerrans certainly do not look just like the Vah Shir! Not even close.
    There were considerable differences between Kerrans and Vah Shir, as well as the Kejekans. The Vah Shir breeds were the nobility of the cat races of Odus. If you look at them, they are the lions, tigers, and leopards of the cat races. The Kerrans seem to be more of the lynx/bobcat variety and the Kejekans were more mountain lion in nature. Racially, the Vah Shir were larger and more powerfully built than the Kerrans and Kejekans.
    The current race of Kerran is really just a hodge podge tomcat breed of Vah Shir, Kerran, and Kejekan all intermingled. The height factor is definitely a result of the Vah Shir ancestory but the muddy coloration and gangly, flat features is more a result of rampant cross-breeding.
    Why was the design decision made to have a rather ugly crossbreed race of cat man as opposed to a much more attractive and much cooler looking Vah Shir race? I can't tell you; but I think it was a bad one.
    I do hope the skeletal revamp allows for greater body customization like other games have. Then maybe people can make their kerrans a bit more buff looking and un-squash the faces a little.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Sulan@Lucan DLere wrote:
    If you are good with the tools, you can make a very feline Kerran. Or one that looks more like a teddy bear.. either way... generally I find them to look at least vaguely feline, which is good.
    If you like I can do my best later on today to make a cat-like kerran, and show you.
  13. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

They seem pretty different to me. Vah shir were 10X better looking than kerrans.

I doubt it has much to do with crossbreeding and lore, they are just ugly by default.

She looks like the grinch

[IMG]
  14. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

Kanesh_The_Mad wrote:
    Kerrans were around the Odus continent. There were a bunch of "Kerran Fisherman" right outside of the boat that led to Gunthak in EQ1. :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

Wow, those kerrans on the left have really flat noses. If you tinker with the settings you can get much less... well "human" looking results with the noses. The females in particular will end up looking rather like a teddy bear IMO, but the males end up looking quite feline to me. They still won't have the long snout of the EQ1 screenshots on the right, but still more pronounced than the shot on the left.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

if you were to take the Vah shir of eq and put them in Eq2, they'd basically have the build of a barbarian, with a tail and a distinctively feline head. it's not that hard. oh and claws.

these 'kerrans' look horrible. they are too lanky, thier faces are smashed in, and their ears are more like a mouse then a feline. They have NONE of the feline predatory feel that the Vah Shir had. they are a weak mockery. I wouldn't trust a kerran to be able to kill a klicknik beetle, much less a gnoll.
  17. ARCHIVED-Arianah Guest

Oye... I wish I had this story written up but I've only got the screenshots of the book atm.

(Long story short: )
    One of the Kerran leaders chose the best of each Kerran tribe, to form a new tribe. They moved away from the other Kerrans and built their own palace.

The Erudites moved to Odus. The Erudites began to have a civil war. As a result of this war, the Erudites managed to blow up a significant portion of the land (the Kerran palace was on this land), which made it all the way to Luclin. There, the new clan made their home. Luclin was much harsher lands than they were used to, so they physically evolved, over time, into the Vah Shir, to survive in their new home.

So yes, Vah Shir are technically Kerran, but the Kerran that remained on Norrath are not Vah Shir - and hence, wouldn't look like them.

Since Lulcin has exploded, there might be some Vah Shir scattered across Norrath, but the race is too rare to be a playable race that would make any sense.
  18. ARCHIVED-Iceyx Guest

Cat people are cat people really.. I'm looking for an alternate model to look like a Vah shir, not play a Vah shir. I couldn't care less about space cats vs island cats. Their lore is wacked out anyhow, as is most fantasy lore. Why not throw in another cat race from the center of the earth, or one from the bottom of the ocean. Anything would probably look better than kerrans.
  19. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Iceyx wrote:
    or one could try posting a non sabotaged deformed EQ2 Kerran like so...[IMG]
    Frankly I still see the EQ2 kerra as looking like graphical upgrades of the Van Shir with slightly more realistic Anthropomorphic proportions.
  20. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Seriously, that pic of the two kerrans are from back when EQ2 was still in it's Alpha stage.