Too low level to participate. How was Kerafyrm defeated?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by RpTheHotrod, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Interesting point xD Looks like even more-or-less prominent villains still have a unhealthy obsession w/ Luclin.
  2. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the referance could simply infer/prove that the moon was blown up via magic, aka the Great Feedback...not Kerafyrm or the like.. that's what the stone was, it was a prophecy of Elizerain's predicting the Shattering.
  3. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

I am probably wrong (not an infrequent occurrence), but I've got this nagging suspicion that Jorlak didn't so much reform Luclin as close a temporal loop.

It has never made sense to me that Luclin was shattered by the Ulterian spire network coming online, because that network supposedly came online some 200 years before start of game (either shortly before or shortly after the seas became impassible from the Rending, depending which in-game source you check), whereas Luclin shattered only about 50 years before start of game. And the eyewitness report on the shattering of Luclin (Tome of Destiny, chapter 11) reports seeing something come out of it, like an egg hatching.

Now, Jorlak needed someplace to store the eternally matched and eternally fighting Kerafyrm and Rhoen Theer. Needs someplace HUGE and accessible, something open to shove them in, but something that can be sealed to keep them in.

And there just happens to be a shattered moon hanging over our heads. A moon that had a big hollow spot in its core, and used to be whole, so some chronomancy could pull it together like it used to be. (Okay, a LOT of chronomancy.) Handy, right? But what cracked it open in the first place?

I bet two forces with the power of Godslaying locked in battle could do it.

So what if Jorlak didn't just reverse time on the moon? What if he actually shoved Rhoen and Kera back to the time Luclin shattered, and their battle is what caused it? Which then creates a prison ready for their storage now.

I can see two possible scenarios here. First, Rhoen and Kera are being stuffed into past-Luclin to break it so they can then be locked up in present-Luclin. In this case, Jorlak hasn't used up his chronomancy (which is sort of an odd concept, because mana regenerates), he is constantly using it to bounce the pair back in time to cause the Shattering and then forward again to be trapped in the reformed moon. If this loop is not supplied constantly, it is going to break down - either the two will escape when the moon shatters (and so not be its reformed core now), or the moon will never have shattered in the first place because they weren't then to do it.

Other possibility, what we are seeing is the actual, in-process (and very slowed, possibly) reversal of Luclin's actual shattering, complete with what broke out being stuffed back inside. Eventually this reversal is going to reach the point of the the moon being hidden once more - except it won't actually be hidden. It will be sent back in time to appear and shatter and stabilize the time loop. Perhaps the unshattered Luclin that would have to exist concurrent to the shattered one for this loop to make sense has been in a temporal stasis meanwhile (possibly with its namesake Goddess?). Of course, this also means that whatever was seen breaking out of Luclin is still out there. Kerafyrm or Theer, victorious after all? The two of them still fighting? The two merged into a single being that must make peace with itself to exist, like the Duality?

Yeah, probably wrong. But not impossible! I think?
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Other possible explanations for the "something escaping": Dust being blown out of the tunnels leading from The Nexus to Shar Val, which should happen ahead of the moon shattering from a huge internal explosion.

Shar Val getting ejected from Velious as a parting final gift from the goddess to the Vashir.

Ssra Temple acting in accordance with ancient prophecy and once again using the Chelsith Calendar to avoid another disaster. Except this time with the Emperor and his priests held hostage inside their own temple.

One of the big beasties in the Deep grew to such a size that it caused Luclin to explode when it "hatched".

Kerafyrm invaded the Nexus on Luclin and stole the Tear of Veeshan from it. The defenders of the Luclin Nexus (possibly forces loyal to Rallos and Solusek, or something much older) were a threat to Kerafyrm so he immediately used the Tear to magnify his magic and blast a passage to the surface...with Luclin-destroying consequences.

Greig, freed from his madness finally completed his teleportation spire in Mons Lethari. The activation of the spire resulted in the complete destruction of Luclin.

Inquisitor Seru grew impatient after waiting an entire year (from his perspective) for his forces to eliminate the last of the Katta line. After not hearing from them for a week, and none of his personal guard returning after being sent to investigate the matter Seru decided to leave himself. The release of all the stored time in Seru's sanctum caused the moon to explode.

Gnomes. Bloody gnomes. In space. Space Pirate Gnomes. With Lasers.
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I think that the Great Feedback detonated the Dresolisk Stone, that caused Luclin to go boom, and the Erudites, that speak of 200 cycles going by and what not is a result of time distortion of the fact that they are basically stuck in a dimension used for instantanous travel. for them maybe, 200 years have gone by. for us, it's been about 50.
    luminosa likes this.
  6. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Eh, my old theory was that Kerafyrm came to the conclusion that the best way to get the job done without having Those Meddling Adventurers harshing his mellow was to jump back in time to the Nexus on Luclin and use it as a staging ground to conquer Norrath in the past. And then the adventurers pursue and have a final showdown on Luclin, where Kerafyrm's final defeat releases the energy that destroys Luclin (closed time loop, yay).

But of course, that's in the rubbish bin now.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Possible. We don't even know how long a cycle is. Sure, a cycle sounds like a year. But honestly we don't know.

And the argument swings just as hard the other direction. Again, we don't know. The information we get from Odus is difficult to mesh with the rest of Norrathian history.

There are some books written about Euradites, the Great Feedback and the Change from the Qeynos side. I don't think any of them link the Feedback and the Shattering. While the Euradites would be a bit distracted by their sudden physical change I think they might take note that Luclin blew up at the same time. I think there are old, old books that were available in the first iteration of Qeynos that probably aren't available now that talk about the Feedback. I'll have to start digging to see if I can find it, and hope it wasn't an NPC that talked about the Feedback because that would of been a village NPC and a lot of them were removed a long, long time ago.

There were quite a few NPCs that talked about major events. Like the barbarian that talked about Lady Vox's fall to Drakota.
  8. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

I know there was a Kerra NPC in the Stonestair Byway that talked about the Feedback as a story passed down the generations. Given his ancestor saw the Feedback and got off Kerra Isle to spread the story, that would indicate pre-Rending. Also that the Feedback did not immediately pull Odus into Ultera, since both Kerra and Erudites made it off the place afterwards - maybe a slow pull into Ultera instead?

Before SF there were a couple forum quests which gave books about the lead-up to the Feedback. The books are now on the sages in Freeport and Qeynos (possibly the other cities too?) and talk about how the seas are chaotic but still passable. It's the writer's mentor's reason for saying they should do more research before building the Nexus - they can still get to Qeynos by ship. This would indicate early Rending.

The play at the Deepwater Knight's pavilion in Sundered Frontier shows pretty much the same story as is in the books, except it says the seas are already impassible at the time the Nexus is being built. So this is right in the thick of the Rending.

Plenty of contradictions for the exact timing, but all sources do indicate a time period in or before the Rending - well before the Shattering, by which time the seas were starting to calm.

Also, I miss those village NPCs who'd talk about historical events from a personal viewpoint. The halfling in Baubleshire talking about Rivervale always gave me a bit of a chill.