Too low level to participate. How was Kerafyrm defeated?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by RpTheHotrod, Aug 25, 2014.

1. RpTheHotrod Member

I just recently hit 90 and I'm not a part of a raid guild. How was Kerafyrm defeated?

Also, how is Luclin whole again?
  2. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Short recap: After obtaining the last part of the Shissar Calendar and, in the process, royally ticking off Mayong Mistmoore again, a sudden flash of special effects heralds the return of Lendianara to our timeline. With her came Lifeguide, Firiona Vie's staff, which went AWOL after the Charlie Foxtrot in Cobalt Scar.

(Insert 'roaming gnome' type montage of Lifeguide's travels through EQ1)

So, a few quick applications of diplomacy with the rulers of Freeport and Qeynos (who are on the outs after Cobalt Scar, killing your opposite number's father tends to do that) and forces deploy to Skyshrine, where the last Tear of Veeshan is held and Kerafyrm is making his move.

The quick outline of what follows (based on the raid): The Tear is protected by a mystic force shield, created by three gems the players destroy. At this point FV and Roehn Theer (feeling his oats again after getting repowered when Rallos Zek fell) to help with the problem. Wait...didn't Kerafyrm drink RT's milkshake? Yep. Wouldn't that imply Kerafyrm kinda owns him? Yep. Cue FV getting beat down and RT under Kerafyrm's control.

(Insert 'We beat down Roehn Theer twice and all we got were these lousy T-shirts' montage)

Yeah, that doesn't work out so well. The PCs use Lifeguide to fight starting with RT, and then the power of his re-powered swords for his aerakyn general, whose name escapes me because really, some random aerakyn? Sigh...

Anyway.

The general goes down, RT decides, "I've been a crappy Sentinel of Balance, time to make up for it" and attacks Kerafyrm. This could go bad, but Jorlak--our old chronomancer droag buddy from Skyshrine--has one last trick up his sleeve, using the remaining power of the Swords and the in-the-process-destroyed Tear to use every bit of chronomancy (time magic, yo) he's ever going to be able to use to hurl the combatants away from Norrath...and imprison them in a mostly-reconstructed Luclin.

I say mostly because he only had what was still up there to work with, and honestly, you can see the duck tape.

Anyway. That about covers it.
    Loredena, Aranedhel, Xsara and 5 others like this.
  3. Xaiveir Active Member

That was the most entertaining writeup ive seen on this!
  4. Rainmare Well-Known Member

well a more..involved story is that, after Cobalt Scar, the Combine did indeed collapse. Mayong and the Duality have been continuing their research into Age's End. the Duality needs however, the lasy 'monolith', which mayong has. we're sent to retreive it. Mayong intercepts, tries to get us to give him the Chelsith Stone. we resist his power, which annoys him and he promises 'repercussions'.

we give it to the duality, and see the fully constructed calendar. Lendaria is sent back, and we're sent to see what's going on. Lendaria gives FV the Lifeguide, and she remarks on it being held by someone of great malice recently (hint at the expansion) but then we get a gem, and are told to get Lucan and Antonia and go to the top tower of Skyshrine to face Kera.

the Tear is under a protective shield that can't be broken becuase it's being created through the tear thus it's amplifying effect makes it unbreakable. we shatter the crystals used to make the sheild, then FV and Theer show up. Theer believeing that having the rempowered swords make him Kera's equal.

Kera proves that wrong, by using the Godslaying power he stole to turn Theer against us. we pick up the Lifeguide, and face Theer and defeat him. then we have to deal with Kera's Aerakyn general, picking up the swords of destiny in that fight. once he's defeated, Kera basically is about to deal with us personally, when Theer intervenes. he shoves the Swords into the Tear, thus super amping thier power and feeding that power into himself, and takes on Kera directly. but it's a stalemate.

Jorlak uses all his chronomancy, and shove kera and theer, locking in and enternal battle, to Luclin and fuses the peices up there back together, sealing them inside. Thus Age's End is averted, Kera and Theer are out of comission for good(?) and we proceed onwards.
    Rhodris and Finora like this.
  5. RpTheHotrod Member

Thanks. :D Good review.
  6. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

You know, I was already joking that Rowen Theer KS'd us. I must have missed the memo on Jorlak. So now that washed up old Droag is the one who KS'd us lol. Joking will have to re-commence.

Nice to know about the expansion hint in the form of FV's immortalized magic rod though. I always knew that thing was like the equivalent of a magical girl's transformation matrix. Now this proves it even more. XD
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

The relationship between Kera and Theer is a little more complex than that. Kerafyrm stole Theer's power, and through mastery of that power took over Theer. Defeating Theer freed him from Kerafyrm's control and apparently weakened Kerafyrm's control over Theer's power. Theer uses the tear to bolster his own power and attack Kerafyrm. Kerafyrm tells Theer that the struggle is useless because the two of them are linked by the power of Godslaying. Theer can not kill Kerafyrm, and Kerafyrm can not kill Theer because of it. Theer acknowledges this and says that he is determined to take responsibility and lock Kerafyrm in eternal battle.

Theer may not be strong enough to defeat Kerafyrm, but he is strong enough that Kerafyrm can't ignore him. As long as Theer remains determined to fight and Kerafyrm can't escape Kerafyrm is trapped.

Jorlak puts the topper on them by using chronomagic to move Kerafyrm and Theer up to Luclin and then shove the pieces around them and put them both to sleep.

One of the other possible consequences of this is that Moral and/or Terris Thule may be fully revived by two such powerful beings forced into a dream state. Well, purely conjecture at this point but I think a few of us are hopeful since we've seen so much of them during the Hero's Festival.
    Loredena and Finora like this.
  8. Rainmare Well-Known Member

well we've seen Morrell during Hero's Festival. Terris is the woman with the 'granddaughter' on the beach in Nektulous during NoTD. though she does have influence in the festival by causing nightmares in some of the dreaming populace. so hopefully 2 of the avatars returning in AoM will be Terris and Morrell
  9. Loshal Member

This also leads to a pair of possibilities that I find somewhat worrisome.

#1 - chronomancy was used to put Luclin back together...ish. The fact that it was chronomancy rather than some other form of magic means that it /is/ possible it had interesting side effects. Sure, Ssra crashed to Norrath along with a big chunk of The Grey, and assorted other bits fell too, but we haven't stumbled upon remnants of Grieg's End, or Sanctus Seru. With the time magic involved, it's very possible that Lord Inquisitor Seru, the fallen High Paladin of Marr, Innoruuk's greatest victory (by tainting Marr's sword, he twisted Seru's heart and mind, and brought down the greatest empire Norrath has ever known, spreading hatred and conflict pretty much forever), is active again. And if the amped up draconic chronomancy interacted strangely with the Combine chronomancy maintaining Seru's life-extension field in the Arx Seru, he might even be mobile again. Also, if Grieg Venificus is active, and Luclin isn't keeping him crazy and lost, then the greatest Geomancer ever, one so powerful that a greater goddess, in her home turf, feared his abilities...yeah, he might be free and active. And we have no clue what he'd do, but this time, instead of the Nexus to tinker with (which is part of what got him crazypantsed) he's got Kera and Theer. Could get ugly, especially if he still wants to restore the Combine and find a way to get Tsaph Katta back into the game. (And side note on Tsaph and Lord Seru, we also don't know the certain fate of Valdanov Zevpheer, and if he's active, and can find a way to spread his influence, another case of ugly.)

#2 - This (other than Grieg tampering with Kera and Theer) is the more pressing thing that could be a concern if true. Ssra crashed to Norrath. Akheva have taken over /most/ of it. This means that the undead Shissar high clergy, royalty, and elite troops still hold some of it, I suppose. That's a big, big, big worry. Firstly, these are the 'people' who made the spires in the Dreadlands (Teren's Grasp) that the combine spires are patterned off of...the spires that actually run on Necromancy, not Geomancy, in their primary role. Sacrifice enough lives, can move...oh...a giant temple all the way to the moon instantly. They're also the /exact/ individuals who enraged Cazic-Thule enough to unleash the Greenmist the first time. They survived by escaping to the moon...if he notices them back on Norrath, he might turn it loose again to finish the job. And they're gonna know this, and want OFF this rock. And they have the knowledge and skill to do it, and the total lack of concern for others or ethics of any sort to pull it regardless of cost or consequence (other than the Emperor, they'd never sac him to make it work...he'd kill them first.) Probably the only thing that'd be slowing them down would have been the Akheva, and needing to stay off CT's radar. Which will likely last all of...oh...until we come in an screw up the balance of power there, toting followers of Thule along with us...and his gaze. Possibilities for outright horror abound. Oh, and if anything could push Venril Sathir's followers, and Rile to full action, it'd be finding Shissar on Norrath again. Especially Rile.

Thus, I think that what's coming might make us look back on Kera's little rampage fondly. Though I'd gladly dive into an Epic HQ to snag the Sword of Truth for my SK. ;)
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

Even if Greig is the greatest Geomancer ever that isn't what made him a threat to Luclin. What made the goddess drive him mad was Greig was a threat to her absolute control over the moon. The goddess controlled who came and left the moon. (hint: nobody left till adventurers came). Greig was trying to make a form of teleportation that was outside of her control. If she hadn't of driven him mad, he might of succeeded. Luclin wasn't afraid of his power, she was afraid of his genius.

Seru on the other hand was a double dose of crazy. He did have a form of chronomancy active on him so yeah him coming back isn't much of a stretch at all. With no Katta around to defeat he'd want to return to Norrath. Would he want to rule the empire? Would he want to continue his inquisition? Would he want to purge the evil races? (did we mention he was a racist paladin?) What would Seru do? (bumper sticker and t-shirts coming soon) Hmm...Seru with the Godslaying powers. Unlike Kera I do believe he would chance destroying the world if he got backed into a corner. Or just a real shot at Katta. Even through Katta isn't a god and there isn't any reason to use that power on him, Seru is *that* crazy.

Don't fear the Greenmist. Seriously, if the Greenmist mobalized to take care of the Shissar it is very selective. The Greenmist ended the Battle of Defiance for Freeport. Every Ogre in the 2nd Rallosian Army died. Everybody else (including ogres on the Freeport side) lived. The Shissar that are left are liches. If they realize what is going on their best bet for survival is to start praying. I mean that literally, convert back to worshiping CT and hope he doesn't hold a grudge. Or they could try that underwater city thing they did in EQ1. Strange how that worked for one city, but it didn't work for the other two underwater shissar cities. EQ1 probably has an explanation for that.

Or they could try to escape to another plane, or thread even. Or if they catch wind of a portal to the Ethernere, they might attempt escaping there. Actually depending on how much information they have they might try breaking into Nizera. Or even more ironic would be them breaking into the Fragment of Fear. As long as they can get to a different plane I don't think the Greenmist can follow. The Greenmist lives on Norrath. The Greenmist is apparently a localized phenomenon, not something that Cazic Thule creates.

And why would Rile be especially hot for Shissar? The Shissar were long gone before Rile was hatched. Rile's big enemies were dragons, and his own father. If anyone would be hot to destroy them it would be Venril. Venril dates back to the warring clans era of the iskar. He might actually be old enough to remember the Shissar. Even if he isn't he learned his necromancy by picking through the Shissar ruins. If anyone knows what they are capable of and would fear them it would be the people who best know the Shissar's work.

Meanwhile the Shissar themselves would be confused. Other races know magic now. The Shissar aren't the big boys on the playground anymore, the other races grew to become as powerful (or more) than the Shissar. What made them capable of enslaving so many other races was they had the secret of magic and nobody around them did (other than dragons who didn't care what the Shissar did).
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

I just thought of something really amusing. I could totally see Mayong Mistmore personally approaching the Shissar in the crashed temple and saying "I told you so".

Oh, and offering to "protect" the Shissar in return for them becoming his minions allies.
  12. Loshal Member

What would make Rile especially hot for finishing them off is his past. He was /the/ Crusader of Greenmist, the man blessed by Cazic-Thule with the blade that howled for all who earned the ire of the Faceless. There's likely no being on Norrath, not even his father, that knows more about the history of the Iksar. And though he's not exactly the most loyal of people to even his own history, he is exceedingly proud of being Iksar...so the return of the Shissar, the only foe who bested and enslaved them, and not just any Shissar, but the exact ones who did it, and their Emperor, could easily be the fire that relights his full fury, and possibly even his faith.

It'd be almost like sticking Ganak in the Vesspyr Isles. A big shiny red button.
  13. Rainmare Well-Known Member

There's only a few flaws I see. with Seru, the issue at hand is that he was basically in a self-made prison, that stopped time. he was immortal as long as he was in his chamber...the implication was that if he left, or it was say, blasted apart, that time would rapidly catch up to him. he'd go from living to dust in moments. but even if he was mobile again, even Jorlak basically says he just shoved to peices back together and fused it..if anything, he turned back time to right before the planet peices broke and drifted..which was prolly right after the place was consumed in planar fire from the dresolik stone. so if he's was alive at the point, thanks to his chamber..he's still trapped on the moon with no way to us, a landscape unable to support life. he'll die of exposure if if he's freed.

Grieg maybe the most powerful Geomancer ever, and he may even attempt to try to charge up his spire on a desolate wasteland, but he's less then nothing compared to Kera and Theer. he's a bug. and even if Grieg managed to come back to norrath proper, it'd be one hell of a fish out of water story. the Combine is gone, the very lands he knew are gone or drastically changed. I'd wager he'd prolly end up finding someplace familiar and staying there, isolated form a world he barely understands anymore. he'd prolly go mad again, this time from the shock of all the changes the shattering and rending had on the planet itself. But it might make for a way to reintroduce old places that are right now underwater...using Grieg's Geomancy as him trying to 'remake' Norrath to the place he knew...giving us back some spots like say the Dead Hills, or the Rathe Mountains...even though we have to go put him down because of the effects of his geomancy stressing Norrath's stability or something.

we don't know what's left in the Temple. there's a kind of hint that the Shissar still control part of it, but SoE live states that it's the HQ of the Akheveans. If they are a few of them left, they've either been enslaved (irony ftw) or they are in hiding/stuff in little pockets by the Akheveans. the Greenmist is a planar entity, but it's one that serves Cazic, not created by him..and it eats only what he tells it to eat. the Shissar would be rightfully afraid of it, but without control of thier temple and it's resources, there's really nothing they can do about it.

But I do see it as a way to destroy Venril and let Rile take over the Sathrian Empire. Cazic as we know from the Greenmist HQ, was about 2 seconds from Greenmisting the Iksars for Venril's cult of Sylokk where he declared himself godking. seeing the Shissar back, that would be a perfect reason to kill Venril and his followers with the greenmist, just to remind the Shissar that he's there, and that he's watching...and it would set up the Sathirian Empire under Rile as a force seeking the Temple, because Rile is close to Cazic and may be tapped to direct the Iksar to deal with their old enslavers as a holy war in Cazic's name.
  14. Meirril Well-Known Member

I don't like some of the implications Rainmare is making.

Jorlak didn't just turn back time on the pieces of Luclin. First the moon was reconstructed around Kera and Theer as its core. Turning back time shouldn't accomplish that. Second Luclin looks like a patchwork of burnt parts. If the process was to move the pieces back in time, shouldn't they get restored to their previous condition? Yes, chronomagic was used to do this. No it wasn't just moving pieces back and forth through time. Mainly I think it was done this way so Jorlak could announce he lost his chronomagic so we don't go to him later to fix problems.

My big objection is to referring to the Greenmist as a planar being. The Greenmist isn't well understood. From what we do know Cazic Thule can call upon it to do things for him. Cazic Thule didn't create it. Cazic Thule doesn't exactly control it. Oh, and its on a power level that it can basically attack at will and we've never herd of anything that could actually fight back.

We know it destroyed two groups of powerful beings that angered Cazic Thule. The first was the Shissar, who not only turned away from the worship of their creator, but they dared to enslave another of Cazic Thule's creations. The Greenmist destroyed all of the Shissar on Norrath, the only population that survived were warned by the calendar they created from planar runes and managed to teleport to Luclin where they created a vacuum on the surface of the moon just in case the Greenmist found its way up there.

That the Greenmist didn't follow immediately when the temple teleported says a few things. What I think it says is that the Greenmist couldn't follow. That the Greenmist is not capable of traveling beyond Norrath. Why? Don't know yet. But it stands to reason the Greenmist would of finished the job if it 1) realized it missed some and 2) could get to them. Cazic should of been aware of them on Luclin. They should of been giving off enough fear to draw his attention, at least when they first arrived and while they constructed the vacuum in the Grey.

The second group was the 2nd Rallosian Empire. As a result of the Ogres sacking the Temple of Cazic Thule and taking his lizardmen priests as conscripts Cazic called the Greenmist to destroy the ogres. All of the Ogres in the Feerott to Freeport that were loyal to the Rallosian Empire were destroyed. The only population of Rallosian Ogres that survived were in the Moors of Ykesha (formerly Innothule Swamp) and they were forcibly converted by the Greenmist. Ogres not loyal to the Rallosian Empire were also spared. The converts were marked by being physically infused with the Greenmist.

I doubt that Cazic took pity on the Ogres that were converted. Since they were infused by the Greenmist its likely the Greenmist made this decision and decided to watch them personally to make sure they stayed loyal. It is also possible that the Greenmist was planning ahead to when the gods finally severed all ties and made sure it had a source of Fear to last it till the gods returned.

So, why call the Greenmist planar? Spiritual? Sure. Maybe. why not? Planar? (no? maybe? doubtful?)

This conversation does bring up the question: Why didn't CT just sick the Greenmist (not a god, already on Norrath, freaking scariest thing in Norrath's history) on Kera? I guess because it wouldn't of involved us then. Kinda anti-climatic to have the Greenmist swoop in and Kera just mysteriously vanish without a trace.
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

they tell you why he couldn't. sending the Greenmist to Kill Kera would have unleashed the godslaying power without a direction of control and that could/would have undone all creation.

I called it a planar being mostly because it's basically from what we gather a sentient cloud of flesh eating gas.which seems to me to be a 'planar' type of being, becuase they told us that while Cazic is the only one ot utilize it, it's was hinted that the other gods coudl use it if they were inclined/could give it whatever cazic does to get it to agree to his request.

I think that the greenmist might have been able to get to Luclin, with help of Cazic..but I also think that Cazic wasn't at the time willing or able to force anything because Luclin would have actively fought him. on that front. as she might not get to involved in mortal issues, but we dunno if she'll push back against a singular diety.

the Council might have been able to do what they did on luclin because it was basically all 4 elemental gods and most of the gods of influence as well. though we don't know if Luclin had any push back or objections.

I think the chronomancy was indeed turnign back time...but I think he did it just enough to fused what was there back together. like he turned back time to 2 seconds before luclin's peices actually broke apart, which would have been after the ravaging of the planar fire form the exploding dresolik stone.
  16. Loshal Member

The issue regarding Lord Seru remains, however. We have no clue how draconic chronomancy and combine chronomancy would interact. And there's another aspect that's even more frightening. Lord Seru is so consumed by self-righteousness and hatred that he really does believe /any/ means justifies his ends. He struck a deal with Valdanov Zevpheer to use some of his blood, amongst other components, to make the poison that brought down Tsaph Katta, and prevented even the most powerful healers and chronomancers the Combine Empire had from healing him. The best they could do was set up a perpetual hyper-regeneration field and a temporal lock to keep it from getting worse, and that just kept Tsaph hovering on the edge of death forever. Seru is insane and vicious.

Why is this important? Because the Arx Fortis, with it's timelock, is full of Seru's followers as well as him. And Valdanov Zevpheer would not be particularly concerned by a lack of air, or a barren wasteland. But lack of blood would worry him. Seru, on the other hand, could use that to force Valdanov to grant him 'immortality' so he can continue his inquisition outside the Arx again. After all, he's had quite a while to fester in his hate-filled madness, and I doubt that he'd lose his powers for it. In fact, such utter, final corruption of Marr's greatest champion would likely cause Inny to give him even more power...in disguise, of course, because Seru thinks he's still holy.

And I don't think Grieg directly compares to Kera and Theer. BUT, Kera and Theer are now locked where the Nexus was. They're the core of Luclin now...part of the land. This may mean that old Councillor Veneficus can use his geomancy to tap them like batteries. And while the Nexus may be gone, if he finished his Great Spires in Mons Letalis, particularly with the new Ulteran network humming along, he could forge a new connection. Or use the old link with the temple of Ssra. It's kinda like how Kera was terrifying, but he became more so once he started sucking out Theer's power, and playing with Tears. Grieg is impressive, but could become unstoppable if he used those two as batteries...and our Droag friend may not have thought about that possibility, or even checked...because he still instinctively overlooks most non-draconic/non-deific beings. The PCs are an exception, because they personally impressed him.

There are way this can go that could make Kera's little war look pleasant...or that usher in a new golden age...and we won't know for sure until the devs reveal their plans.
  17. Meirril Well-Known Member

Lets start off with making one thing clear: The Combine Empire did not have access to Chronomancy. They couldn't turn back time, either in an individual or travel through it. Seru did have access to magic research that allowed him to slow time in a very confined area. Was that chronomagic? Possibly. Does that mean they had chronomages? Definitely not what we would call a chronomage now. This isn't even as advanced as the crude version of chronomancy that Miragul was using. While chronomancers can manipulate time and objects in time, all Seru did was build a dam.

Now that dam might of had some strange interaction with the massive amount of chronomancy used around it. A large accumulation of energy could of been built up there, and Seru may have been affected by it. Lots of maybes, lots of possibilities if the devs want to go that way. Or something more natural could of happened like Seru's time dam bursting and his remains tumbling down to the barren surface of Luclin as a very small pile of ash and spite.

Also I object to Seru being referred to as Marr's greatest champion. No matter how powerful, your no champion if you can be so easily blinded to the cause. There is a much better cases to call Bayle, or Antonius Bayle, or Vishra Mithanial Marr's greatest champion.

As for the Great Spire in Mons Letalis: it isn't suppose to connect to any network. It was suppose to allow people to teleport to Norrath from Luclin without the Nexus because the Nexus based teleporters stopped working. Greig wasn't aware that it was Luclin that prevented it from working. He just saw the problem and was making progress in overcoming it.

As for Jorlak underestimating Greig... why would anyone on Norrath even know about Greig? Especially someone raised in dragon society? Sure Jorlak would know about current major leaders, but he might be ignorant of the entire Bayle line or that Freeport was once ruled by the Order of Marr. That isn't his history, and he has never been there. Even for us adventurers knowing about Greig is strange, especially since almost all information about the Combine Empire was eliminated from Norrath during the Lost Age. (and that has never been explained either. The Mistress of Secrets' influence?)
  18. Loshal Member

The reason I refer to Seru as Marr's greatest champion (at least during his time) is that it was Seru who was gifted with the Sword of Truth (though that gift kinda screwed things up once Inny tainted it.)
  19. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

In all honesty, if any of this actually ended up happening...well...it would be a heck of a lot better than the god-forsaken VOID storyline >.> Parts of it I didn't mind, but eh.

TBH, I just wanna see Rile have a reason to get involved again. A call-to-arms b/c some snake-lizards came back onto Cazic's turf would be interesting to say the least.
  20. Raenius Well-Known Member

Also: if anyone did Tunaria Throne Room x4 - when you defeat the queen there is a message that a gem drops off from her staff which you can pick up.
    When you have defeated Mayong as well, you can put this gem into her throne, which will then pop a sphere in the air looking like a moon while a beam emanates from the gem in the throne into the moon.

Which looks exactly like when Chronomancer Jorlak uses his beam on Kerafyrm to banish him to Luclin. Coincidence?