To New & Returning Players

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ozzello, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Sleppen Active Member

One of the many interesting things about MMOs is that everyone tends to assume that their personal experience is universal. A corollary is that people within a particular demographic group (raiders, non-raiders, casuals, soloists, etc.) assume that their opinions mirror the opinions of everyone else in their demographic group. I got over this a long time ago. As long as I'm having fun doing my thing, I really don't give a flip what the rest of you are doing. Hugs and kisses, y'all.

At this point in my life, I'm a soloist. I came back to the game about two and a half years ago and have been playing through all of the content with my horde of characters. Some of my characters have finally caught up with this expansion. It's been kind of weird being in zones with bunches of people standing around. I've been amused by the tradeskill weeklies, which are sort of like PvP harvesting.

If someone wants to skip over everything and become an uber cool raider, I don't give a flip. Knock yourself out chasing whatever rabbit the devs put in front of you. If you're having fun, I'm cool with it. I wouldn't want to skip all of the other content, but that's my choice. I still run my characters through the Barren Sky and the Jarsath Wastes and Thalumbra. If that isn't what you want to do, why should I care that you can spend money to skip it?
    AOE1 and Ginrummy like this.
  2. Kaiatu New Member

I wouldnt have returned or be playing if it took me 2 years to catch up, first of all i dont know where the game will be or even exist in 2 years second of all theres not really a shortage of amazing games out there, im having the time of my life here though because i can do the stuff i never was able to do when i played in 2007-2010. this game does not need to lose people because they have to invest an absurd amount of time to get any excitement and fun out of the game or catch up and be able to play with other people. it would just be a singleplayer game until end game content for 2 years if they had to, even more than it already is. i am really enjoying myself now in eq2 and thats all that matters,it took u 2 years to get somewhere back in the day but i bet u had alot of fun doing it, thats whats important in a game. in wow for example i cant go be pissed that someone completed vanilla and the rest of the expansion in less time than i did when they were the current expansions and is now playing the latest expansion with me. dosnt work like that all mmos would die out if there was no way to catch up to later content. you think this game can afford to wait 2 years for a handful more people to play with? it cannot.
    Magdaddy likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The ethereal tracker "coins" are account-wide. Having all those alts just makes it easier to play catch-up. You get coins from the Solo Weekly quests, and it's not very difficult to get your toons through the VoV sig line and able to do those quests. Keep running thru Solo Weeklies on as many alts as you can, and you will get the trackers and catch up faster than you think you will.

There is no "injustice". Those of us who have the max trackers ran ourselves and our alts through RoS Solo Weeklies, and Heroic weeklies when and as we could. You are being asked to do the exact same amount of work to get them.
    Mellody likes this.
  4. Avirodar Well-Known Member

It is my view that expecting a returning player to farm solo content for several months to a year (depending on who you believe), in order to be viable for competitive raiding, will only prevent people who prefer that play style from returning. Telling someone they can throw an alt-farm at it to make it a bit quicker, is most likely to make them look for the exit even faster.

It's worth noting that throughout EQ2s history, Avatar gear was nerfed multiple times, because people complained that those who invested more time and effort, had better rewards than those who did not. Using your own logic, Nothing stopped anyone else from doing "the exact same amount of work" to get the same items.

I can also recall the vicious nature of many posts in an era of EQ2s history where raiding was required in order to get particular crafting components and recipes. I have no doubt that all those "dedicated crafters", who were outraged by having to raid in order to obtain raid-tier crafting components and recipes, will be extending their full support in not requiring raiders to grind solo zones for months in order to be viable for competitive raiding.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Let's all stop the gross exaggeration. The 2021 Summer Ethereals started June 22, and there were 162 days (23 weeks) between that and the VoV release. The cap on how many of the "ethereal coins" you could earn was cumulative over the event rather than a fixed amount per week. Subscribers, of course, earned double the amount of "coinage". You need 4200 of the "ethereal coins" to be at max. A lot of people were at 4200 well before the expansion launched... I actually missed five whole weeks earning "ethereal coins" and was still done before VoV launched.

If your game plan for earning trackers starting from zero in VoV is to do a single Solo Weekly mission each week, yes, it will take a ridiculously long time. Someone who is currently able to earn the "ethereal coinage" will have to chime in with how many you get per which weekly mission to calculate actual numbers, but simple math tells me that if you can even run ONE alt through as well as your main, you will cut the time in half.
  6. Magdaddy Active Member

A lot of people are missing the mark here. There is nothing wrong with the ethereal coin catch-up mechanic, imo. It takes a little time (maybe 6 weeks?) so it's gated slightly but IS POSSIBLE to catch up if you spend extra time and make an alt or two. I think most people are okay with a mechanic like this, where you can speed it up by committing more time and effort. At least I'm personally okay with that. What I'm not okay with is the pay to win mount/Merc/familiar buffs and how many months it takes to farm overseers quests for luck based xp/training potions to level these. That's the most egregious "anti-returning player" aspect of the game right now.
    Avirodar and Priority like this.
  7. Randomeqplayer New Member

I bought premium edition. My resolves are way higher than required for heroic 2 but my potency is super low due to stupid mount, familiar etc level etheral. People refused to group with me for heroic 2. I have been doing overseer quests day in and day out, never miss any overseer quests. Basically this game has become an overseer quest game, lol. I am not going to waste $15 a month to just click overseer quests everyday and have cancelled subscription.

I love how veterans lecturing me on how easy it is to get those mount, familiar pots, lol. It's called RNG.
  8. Jamzez Active Member

Join a guild and make friends the game isn't just about stats there are plenty of guilds that need people, and my lecture is back in my day when i was in my first raiding guild I think it took close to 12 week's for the guild to get it's first raid kill this game need's a lot of teamwork to reap the benefits, no one was rage quitting that is what the vet's are trying to get across EQ2 isn't the type of mmo where you can play for 3 month's and boom your good at it.
    Jaden and AOE1 like this.
  9. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with "getting good." It's about the viability of meeting the mathematical requirements to have the potential to play competitively. Is it possible, and if so, what is a reasonable timeframe for this process to be completed?
    Dead Alt Account and Magdaddy like this.
  10. Magdaddy Active Member

Ultra casual players always feel the need to preach their "just enjoy playing the game and take your time" mindset. Why? That's not what the discussion is about and that's not how hardcore players enjoy EQ2. I'm a vet (from day 1) and I'm certainly not trying to get the point across that you claim vets are making. The game needs to be playable for people that want to return from long breaks and be able to be useful to their top end guilds by grinding hard to get caught up.

Side note: A word that ends in s doesn't automatically need an apostrophe. I have no idea why you're putting apostrophes in "weeks, months, vets".
  11. Randomeqplayer New Member

Rage quitting? I have been clicking overseer quests daily for 2 weeks! I don't need anything from Heroic 1 but cannot do Heroic 2. Are you a casual player that just started Heroic 1?

This isn't about me getting good at it in 3 months; this is about clicking overseer quests daily considered as playing an MMO.
    That guy. likes this.
  12. Jamzez Active Member

I just bought the expansion after a 4 year break and play a mage so I guess there was no point in trying to play the game and sol on having any fun.
  13. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Wrong. There is lots of fun in playing the game.
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Magdaddy Active Member

Oh so you're qualified to dictate what is and is not fun for other people? I am sure mages are not having fun so far this expansion.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

One can have fun, even if your main toon's class is Way Not Right. I've enjoyed the expansion so far. I do not enjoy having my warlock essentially crippled, but I've found plenty of fun anyway. Now if I could just get some T2 groups...

Thankfully, I like all my alts pretty well,and I like Norrathian Interior Decorating. But if all I had was the one warlock and I hated every other aspect of the game, I guess I'd be reading more and playing less.
    AOE1 likes this.
  16. DENSER Well-Known Member

normally we will have an improvement this Tuesday. I greatly expect what will happen and as many are waiting for them at the turn
  17. AOE1 Well-Known Member

As the proud player of a congy, a necro, a wizzie and an illy, I think I can speak for some of the mage's out there. I am still having fun and still paying my sub and buying the xpacks.

If your so unhappy I am sure there are other games you can go play. As frustrated as I get a times, I stay, pay and play. That is my choice. You make yours. I speak for ME, not you, not anyone else.
  18. Magdaddy Active Member

Sure, but I am talking about mages that most definitely do not have the same set of goals as you. It has been horrendous for mages in top raiding guilds that care about being competitive. The balance between scouts and mages this expansion is the worst I ever recall seeing it.
  19. Magdaddy Active Member

I'm not a mage. Good for you. Again, mages that play the game to compete are obviously who I'm talking about. If you're enjoying the game, great. There are plenty of mages that aren't and they've been very vocal about that in the EQ2 discord (and rightfully so).
  20. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

If member. If not a member don't even bother as you will never get into heroics missing the prestige fervor runes (nearly 200 fervor)!
    • 100 per week for solos (42 weeks if only 1 level 125 character)
    • 160 per week for heroic 1
    • 200 per week for heroic 2 (prolly not happening if said player doesn't have at least the potency trackers 3200?)
    The requirements for heroics has been way too much since the game went free to play and pay 2 win introduced. This years ethereals was cool and all but should have never carried over the way it did. Previous ethereals used their tokens to buy and upgrade 3 pieces of gear which carried over but were never required to get into heroics.
    Im real curious how long new players will have to continue doing this ethereal tracker weekly BS and a new player in every new expansion will be missing out on 25k potency, 500ish CB, 10k ability mod until this garbage gets removed.