The Raven Toolbar

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by ARCHIVED-Nauria, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Nauria Guest

[IMG]

The Raven Toolbar is a browser add-on designed for the roleplaying community, though it has tons of useful features for the non-roleplayer as well. With over 1,500 installations and counting, the toolbar has become a time-saving utility for many over the last couple of years. As the community has shifted, so has the toolbar. What started as a small project for one specific RP tavern has branched out into a utility I think now can benefit the whole RP community.

To get it, simply go here:

http://antoniabayle.ourtoolbar.com

System Requirements:

The Toolbar works on all current versions of Windows (XP, Vista, Win 7, etc), MacOS X, and most versions of Linux. The toolbar works in Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. A Google Chrome version exists, but it's very clunky and not yet recommended.

What You Get:

The quick summary is that the toolbar is chock full of relevant gaming links and searches, and services, including:
    • A customized search window which can search many useful sites directly
    • Gaming links and services of use to the community
    • A radio player which can connect to several popular RP-related stations
    • It will inform you when a DJ is live on Radio Free Norrath (The Raven's Radio Station)
    • A link to the Raven's Artist Alley of 25+ signature artists
    • A list of EQ2 guilds and RP venues
    • Links to RPG and fantasy comics
    • Amusing Twitter Feeds
    • Connects to Facebook
    • Displays local weather
    • Checks your mail

Comparisons to the invention of sliced bread are welcomed. We'll go over the features of the toolbar in detail:

The Toolbar / Raven Button:

The main toolbar button takes you to the Raven Mythic, the RP community that's the founding home of the toolbar, and a destination for the majority of it's users. The Raven is host to a thriving RPG community supporting its own game world, EQ2 players, and players of other MMORPGs.

http://www.raven-mythic.com/FAQ

The Search Engine:

There's a built in search engine in the toolbar custom-designed for RPG players and gamers, including a lot of popular sites and search engines.

It also features connections to to plenty of EQII-themed web sites, making it great for looking up quests, searching forums, and so on. Simply type in what you want to search for, and select the specific site you want to search in. If there's an exact match (say, searching the EQ2 wikia for a quest), you go right to that page.

[IMG]

The only real downside of the whole toolbar is here. The software I use has, by default, using the Bing search engine. It's the very first option on the list and I can't change that. Personally I recommend you use the second link, the one that says "Google". The Toolbar remembers your last used search engine, so you really won't be bothered by this much.

The EQ2 Links Bar:

This is a little blue button (the EQII icon) with a lot of power. It has links to guilds, inns, tavern, your favorite crafting sites, lore, and EQ2 news sources, links to character avatar makers, funny comics, and news. If you want your guild listed, or have a new suggested link, by all means, contact me! The links bar has evolved a lot thanks to contributions and suggestions from others. You'll want to spend some time exploring this to get an idea just how big the EQII world can be.

The Radio Player:

The built-in radio player will start playing Radio Free Norrath (see below) with the click of a button, and has a drop-down with links to several other stations as well. If you have something you'd like to see on the list, you can either add stations to your personal toolbar, or send me suggestions to have them added globally.

RFN Status Bar:

Right next to the Radio Player is the Status Bar. This lets you know if Radio Free Norrath is live with an active DJ, or in its Basic Mode. Radio Free Norrath is a music service for the RPG community. RFN has a rotation of DJ's with styles ranging from Celtitc, Goth, Metal, Techno, Rock, Punk, and more. Shows run almost every night during US prime time, and well into the early mornings. EQ2 players can join the channel "RFN" on the Antonia Bayle servers, or hop into the Raven's chat system to interact with the DJs.

http://www.radiofreenorrath.com/

Artist Alley:

The Alley button links you to a gallery of 25+ artists. Some of these artists you may know already as recent winners of the EQ2 fan art contest that placed their work into in-game paintings. You'll find all manner of styles there, and many of the artists take commissions.

viewforum.php?f=81

[IMG]

Twitter Feeds:

Just for grins, I added in some silly Twitter feeds. Fake Michael Bay, Cobra Commander, Chuck Norris, The Batman, Things My Dad Says, and so on.

Facebook:

There's also a Facebook connect option, which will let you get alerted to Facebook events you select. Good if you're and active user and want to keep track of changes without having to go to Facebook all the time.

Adding to the Toolbar:

For years I have begged, cajoled, pleaded, and tried to bribe my way into help from others to maintain links and keep the toolbar updated, but seldom gotten any help, despite the enormous popularity of the toolbar. If you have a guild or RP organization you would like added to the toolbar, or want something removed, you need to let me know. If there's an error, you need to tell me. This is, after all, a COMMUNITY toolbar, and it would be nice if the community lent a hand in keeping the links fresh.
  2. ARCHIVED-Nauria Guest

PS - Back in the day when this was just posted in the AB server forum, it was enthuastically sticked by one of the SOE forum mods, and given a hearty seal of approval. It'd be awesome if that could happen again!
  3. ARCHIVED-Erithe Guest

I use it every day :D
  4. ARCHIVED-Drakkonius Guest

It was stickied, yes, and rightfully so! This is an amazing tool with tons of great features. And free? Can't beat that! Thanks for supplying this for the EQ2 community, and for continuing to update and improve it over the years Re-sticky please!
  5. ARCHIVED-kelesia Guest

I enthusiastically support this. It's a wonderful feature and it works on my mac :) Yay for cross platform awesome tools. Duvessa did an amazing job with this. <3
  6. ARCHIVED-rbarbehenn Guest

This is a very useful function :) Do please re-sticky the toolbar of win.
  7. ARCHIVED-ChrissyFaey Guest

Please sticky. <3
  8. ARCHIVED-Elyntari Guest

Sounds great...I wish I'd heard of this before *scrambles to go get*
  9. ARCHIVED-Nauria Guest

Cinnamohn@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Heh, it's been released for three years now. :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Sarrai Guest

Duvessa is huggable and we <3 her and the Raven and the RFN and the toolbar. She takes very very good care of the roleplayers and works very hard for little to no recognition. Did you know she made a calender featuring art of roleplayers? That she enthusiastically supports the Festivals on AB?
    Duvessa is win. And so is the toolbar. Sticky! (oh and bring back our server forum. please. we miss it muchly)
  11. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

This is a great tool, please re-sticky.
  12. ARCHIVED-KynnVea Guest

This is a great feature. Please re-sticky when possible!
  13. ARCHIVED-SkyheartSilverwing Guest

Yes please sticky this!
  14. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

I can't leave home without it!
    Sticky please and thank you.
  15. ARCHIVED-Djaedyn Guest

I love love love this toolbar. Definitely sticky!
  16. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

17. ARCHIVED-Debbani Guest

18. ARCHIVED-Nauria Guest

19. ARCHIVED-kemekien Guest

<glues thread to the forums>
    Hm, this calls for moderator-brand duct tape! Sticky, please!
  20. ARCHIVED-Detweeling Guest