The official WIZARD Changes........ I think you guys will like what you see....

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Supafroius, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Supafroius Guest

All im gonna say is this look to good to be true..... =p

- Wizard changes:
    - Breath of the Tyrant and Immolation no longer share the same reuse timer.
    - Ball of Flames and Ball of Fire no longer share the same reuse timer.
    - Piercing Icicles and Icy Coil no longer share the same reuse timer.
    - Ball of Flame now has a cast time of 2 seconds and a recast time of 6 seconds.
    - Burning Intimidation now does 4 times its previous amount of damage.
    - Immolation now deals 2 additional ticks of heat damage at 120% of the initial instant damage. The cast time has been increased to 3 seconds and the recast time is now 21 seconds.
    - Ice Comet's damage has been increased 275%, and its reuse time is now 45 seconds.
    - Freeze and Daenor's Lingering Frost now do 3 times their previous amount of damage.
    - Icy Coil's initial instant damage has been increased 350%.
    - Piercing Icicles now deals 200% additional instant piercing damage.
  2. ARCHIVED-EternalSoldier1111 Guest

I'm not sure if I would call it too good to be true, but I think it is a reasonable place to start. I am sure SoE doesn't want to over-due the damage increase, because they would only have to nerf it later if they did. Regardless, I look forward to seeing how this impacts my gameplay!

Very good news.
  3. ARCHIVED-Trithon Guest

- Spell casters will no longer fizzle on any spell that is blue, green, or grey to them, as long as their casting skills are maximized.

- Wizard changes:

HAS ANYBODY BEEN ABLE TO CONFIRM IF THESE TWO DEBUFFS DO/WILL STACK?

THIS SHOULD MAKE THESE EVEN MORE DESIREABLE NOW THAN ANYTHING, BEING ABLE TO DEBUFF AND KEEP OUR DPS UP HIGH WITH A DECENT DMG HIT.

I am curious though if any persistant changes are in the works for increasing adept1 to adept3 still though.

Vladek
    42 Wizard
    Sinister Circle
    Najena
  4. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

Explain....
  5. ARCHIVED-Trithon Guest

Example

Ball of Fire Adept1/Adept3

Does not increase max dmg, apparent average dmg, apparent resists, but it does cost more power.

Frozen Manacles........same as above but with no change on root time in addition.

I am sure there are other spells that have very little/no effect of upgrading to Adept3, as there have been many posts inquiring on the effects of adept3 upgrades, with similar findings.

Vladek
    42 Wizard
    Sinister Circle
    Najena
  6. ARCHIVED-Twinsun Guest

I can't wait to give these new changes a try. I won't say it will be too much/not enough until I get to try them myself, but I kinda want to comment on them.

- Breath of the Tyrant and Immolation no longer share the same reuse timer.
    - Ball of Flames and Ball of Fire no longer share the same reuse timer.

Now there will pretty much always be something to cast to do damage. It's going to be hard to find time to mana feed. Getting Ball of Flames and Immolation will be huge for wizards now on their way to 50.

- Ball of Flame now has a cast time of 2 seconds and a recast time of 6 seconds

This is pretty big. Only two seconds now. As our second best nuke, this baby is going to get a workout. We'll be able to bust them out pretty quickly now, and will probably cast it the most. Unless Ice Comet is up, or your debuffs are down, you'll probably bust it whenever it's up, which will be quite often with the new recast. This is going to eat our mana like nothing else.

- Burning Intimidation now does 4 times its previous amount of damage.

Isn't this the higher level stun we get? I'm not logged on right now, but I don't recall ever using this for it's damage. Maybe now I will. I'd rather of had it with a casting time divided by 4. I'd like to stun raid mobs, but this thing has such a long cast time that it's impossible. Even if it does 4x damage, it still doesn't work well as a stun. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, and I'll edit.

- Immolation now deals 2 additional ticks of heat damage at 120% of the initial instant damage. The cast time has been increased to 3 seconds and the recast time is now 21 seconds.

This is huge. Since it doesn't cost anymore mana than it did previously (I hope so, at least) this spell will do some very effecient damage. It's got a long recast timer now, but it also does more than triple the damage. This spell is much different now. It's like a big damage, but short duration dot. This will be intresting to throw into the mix.

- Ice Comet's damage has been increased 275%, and its reuse time is now 45 seconds.

I'll admit that I'm excited to be in the higher rankings of the most damage done by a magical attack on my server, but this isn't that big of a change, I don't think. The new recast timer is a little less than 2.75 times the original so it's a small boost in DPS. It will be easier to cast all our other spells more often though, since we will only have to worry about Ice Comet every 45 seconds. Should be pretty good.

- Freeze and Daenor's Lingering Frost now do 3 times their previous amount of damage.

I haven't used Freeze in a long time, but I remember it being pretty good back in the day. The Training option for it is now upgraded as well. I don't think it works on higher level monsters, but this was an awesome stun that I used to use all the time. Big improvement for that level range.

Pretty cool (pun definitly intended.) Now we can do some decent damage for those long dot cast times. The big question (as already stated) is do they stack? If they do, the debuff should be pretty solid. Still have to reapply alot, but might not be so bad since they actually do some damage. Will still drain your mana though. Good old fast casting incinerate might actually be removed from my hotbars now.

It's definitly going to be an ajustment, but I can't wait to see if I can actually do some mean damage to raid mobs now. Maybe even get aggro? Seems like mana is going to be a pretty big issue now. Going to be a hassle to juggle mana feeds to myself and others while still nuking alot. Can't wait to test it out and see how playing a wizard be. I do wish I could have tried it out in an exp group though.

Edit: Used colors.

Message Edited by Twinsun on 02-09-2005 08:31 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-EvilAmigo Guest

How much damage does Ice Comet currently do?
  8. ARCHIVED-Maguis Guest

BTW that sound that you hear while reading this, is called the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel, just a little fyi. ohh and walmart is haveing a sale of underpants and papertowels, again fyi.
  9. ARCHIVED-Articulas Guest

hmm interesting. Wizards come out on top in this patch if everything goes off and other clases get screw balled bad. not only that but they are nefing all mounts. a better way to handle the mount situation would be to decrease the speed of the mount in combat. not a permanent thing. and btw SOE just a refreasher you already nerfed the horses once before the game was released you didnt' need to do it again, and if it was becoming a problem you could have done something that made sense like. hmmm my suggestion above.

BOYS AND GIRLS! wizards came out on top on this one but guess what, now our tanks won't be able to hold aggro, and every other class got screwed... but i bet we can solo real well, guess its going to be EQLive all over again.

they killed tradeskills to. why they don't like their tradeskill community i have no idea but hey if they want to shoot themselves in the foot thats fine with me. all i know is SOE is gong to be playing damage control for the next few weeks and other Games numbers are going to go up.
  10. ARCHIVED-Darien al'Staff Guest

Is that all you can do? Complain?

Here. Let me poitn you to the REST of the notes. "ALL tanks are getting improvements that will help them hold agro"

..-.-
  11. ARCHIVED-Wudu Guest

While I think the changes are nice and good I wonder some things:

DD/DoT-Spells:

The Spell "Heat Stroke" or the Training Version is not addressed. From its describition It should do instant damage and a DoT Effect. Currently it does only the DoT Damage which is in terms of casttime (~5 secs) and DMG (51 per Tick with Training (Adept II)) @ Level 40 nearly total useless. The instant Damage is missing here, the DoT is compared to icy coil adept III (~80 dmg per tick) a longer cast and lower dmg and has no debuff component (with trainig there is a "chance" of stifle only).
    While its beeing nice that Breath of Tyrant / Immolation are updated the use of Plasmatic Pulse is another total useless spell. Beeing a 30+ DD it deals 120-180 Instant DMG even with Adept III. What aboút this spell?
    Ball of Fire / Flame: Beeing no more on the same timer is dmg-wise nice, very nice. But from terms of a conceptional view it makes no sense. The adressed the problem that the Flame Version doing the same damage like the Fire by reducing casttime, which is good, but instead of laying it on the same timer I would have seen a dmg upgrade instead, I mean I like old spells beeing replaced more than the use of 6 Hotbars with Spellicons (Currently using 4 full hotbars with usefull spells).

Stun-Spells:

Upgrade to Freeze is nice. But why is next in-line stun on a very long cast and recast Timer? I mean on most 35+ Mobs you cant use Freeze because "target to mighty" and are forced to use the next-in line stun (dont know the name exactly atm) which is not even close as good as freeze.

Root-Spells:

Same for stun goes with Tether and Freezing Manacles. You get a upgrade which is actually not as good as the lower level spell in terms of casttime, duration, power consumptation and effect. I mean I know they arnt the same spell line (same with the above mentioned stun spell) because they were added after the spell revamp back in Beta but than their "upgrade" spell is missing.

Other than that, I am very happy and I think these changes will help and make fun, but I think there are still some thinks left to tune.
  12. ARCHIVED-Supafroius Guest

MAx ICe comet at ad3 is around 1400 x 275% = 3000-3850 every 45 seconds?
  13. ARCHIVED-QQ-Fatman Guest

which means wizard will be the solo king. 3000~3850 damage can probably kill a level 50 solo mob in 1 hit...lol
  14. ARCHIVED-bateman Guest

I am glad they seem to have fixed wizards. Unforunately I quit on january 6th, and preordered WoW which arrived in my mailbox today in time for tomorrows Euro launch. So while these changes seem great, its to late for many of us. :(
  15. ARCHIVED-Articulas Guest

complain? YES i'm gong to complain! they are taking away fun parts of the game! the tanks are getting improvment to mitigation, but last time i checked if we are doing more damage and they aren't doing more taunting guess what? we're dead! i saw no where in that article where they are getting imporvment to hold agro!

as well apparantly you don't tradeskill, or own a mount. or else you'd be just as irked as i am.
  16. ARCHIVED-Ennis Guest

17. ARCHIVED-Ennis Guest

18. ARCHIVED-Woodmanseee Guest

Looks great cant wait for it to go live.
  19. ARCHIVED-Devious Polo Guest

i like the idea about mounts only being nerfed in combat, but not in normally game play. i don't know if soe wants to slow us down even more, or i say just give us swoop bikes!!!!

i'm not gonna be quick to judge on the patch till i tested it, and i'm not gonna make another lvl 50 toon on test to try stuff out.

finally somethings look good, some don't. we'll see how the changes all shapes out.
  20. ARCHIVED-Azmoran Guest

I was hoping for "We have fired the [FaarNerfed!] that copy and pasted lower level spells and just renamed them, so now spells will scale properly in dmg as you level."