TESO PVP V.S. EQ2

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Soulflare, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Maltaros Active Member

I have to say I have never understood the attraction of PvP. I have never wanted to play PvP. However, the storylines for ESO are so well crafted that I am ready to kick some Ebonheart tail. This is the first game I have played where I felt there was a good reason to go up against those who chose the other side to play on. The whole Freeport / Qeynos thing always felt lame. Why fight other people when there is no real reason? In ESO you can feel the danger and evil of the other sides as you progress.
    Siren likes this.
  2. Pawder Active Member

Well ESO is a whole other creature. It is so good that it makes pvp'rs pve and pve'rs want to pvp. Now that says a lot for the game. While awesome graphics and a storyline that will make you feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself, it allows growth and flexibility in character development. Five buttons to fill with the skills you feel works for you. So many skills to put points in its just crazy the mix of classes that are being created. Al Gore called SoE and told them to bury eq2, it is stinking up his internet.
    Siren likes this.
  3. Spawnie Member

Seriously, this game is a week old and you are flaming it because you can't insta jump to max level? Please stay here.
    Siren likes this.
  4. Creasote Well-Known Member

ESO pvp is a different style. The main difference is targeting mechanics. It is closer to first person shooter targeting. Although I prefer eq2 targeting, there is no where to go but up for eso pvp because the game just came out.

The best part of eso pvp is that there is one zone and any level character can participate.

There is no eq2 pvp. What is left? Broken BGs and the Zerg WFs on Nagafen? Token grind? It has been a downward spiral for 5 years. They should just learn from history and don't repeat in EQN. Eq2 pvp was great but presently is broken and there is no community to restore it.
  5. Exur Well-Known Member

If they could figure out a way to have a PvP mega server where you can work the story line with a threat of PvP, then you'd have something. As it is right now... I hate lore/story mode and it's even worst when there is no PvP "threat". This is what I miss most about the EQ2 PvP environment and why it's still great when new content rolls out. Terra, another true action style combat (mouse aiming) game had this.. it worked, but the games lore/theme was so gross I couldn't play it. Then I heard they released a BG style option and world PvP died. GW2 actually has a combat system I think I would prefer moving forward.. It's obvious designers are moving away from tab targeting and holy trinity, so they can easily port it to consoles.. but GW2 had a lot of action combat style and still kept tab targeting in play. I just would have preferred a holy trinity and once again, if GW2 would have created a server with PvP enabled it would have been great. Warhammer actually did it right, but didn't have enough PvE for people and they made it look like WoW.. so yah, it was shut down last fall. These WvWvW maps are fun, but really not the open world PvP most people wish still existed. I'll keep trying to gut my way thru ESO's questing and get to the PvP map.. but tbh, it's not "grabbing" my attention atm.
  6. Fetish Well-Known Member

This is one of the things I miss most about EQ2 PvP also...the feeling that you were actually on a team. Hunting Q's in the sewers under Qeynos...sneaking into the suburbs and killing fellow Halflings in the Baubleshire. Battling over the griffon towers in Antonica. You made friends. You killed "the enemy" with those friends. That is all lost in the random BG queuing system, which homogenizes PvP into a single serving, endlessly repeated grind where you fight the people who 10 minutes ago were on "your side". It stinks...and as corny as it sounds, it killed the sense of togetherness that develops in an "us vs them" scenario. I remember the first time I betrayed a toon on a red server...I actually felt bad. I wasn't just switching cities...I switched teams. It lent a feeling of realness to it.

Yeah...I can totally be on board with a class being able to fill multiple roles in the trinity, or as utility, but when the trinity disappears...the game loses something major in the enjoyment I find in it.
  7. Corydonn Well-Known Member

I can't even sleep because the TESO PVP is so amazing. This is probably the golden age of the PVP on TESO as everything is pretty well balanced.

There is no gear that separates players... Nobody is anywhere near unkillable... I die fast... You die fast.... Everybody dies...!

And I think this is the first MMORPG I've seen do stealth in PVP right for balance. Everybody is able to use and abuse it by playing smart.
    Siren and Fetish like this.
  8. Trasor Active Member

What is the consensus on PvP in other games?
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

Neither games styles are particularly successful or even fun as far as I'm concerned. GW2's WvW was probably the most fun I've had in a long time...but its grown stale as ANet has basically ignored it except "fluff n frills" additions for over 2 years. Not unlike SOE's regard for Naggy, I suppose.