Tarinax patched?

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Squall Leonheart, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Graton Guest

we beat the new tarinax for the first time sunday. it was our second try. i'm sure glad the adds depop now. we only made 2 attempts at him last week because clearing the adds was complete druggery that no one was willing to deal with a 2nd time and we moved on to the snake.

anyway, i must say this was the most fun i've had raiding in eq2 in a couple of months, it's definately a better and more interesting encounter now. at the end of the day i think it's these type of events that remain interesting longer. the djinn master's prism, for example, is still my favorite raid event in the game despite the fact that there's little reason to do it anymore. the vast majority of the gear will not be used but it's just a fun event to do. we didn't actually beat it until tier 7, and it still felt like an accomplishment when we did not because it was "hard" per se but because it did require some coordination and thought and wasn't a simple hack, heal and slash.
  2. ARCHIVED-Red_Rock_Candy Guest

When you guys fight Terinax do you have your summoners dismiss all of their pets and command that NO swarm pets may be used? Our members are telling us that having pets causes more adds, is this true?
  3. ARCHIVED-plantboy Guest

I dont understand why the bugged version was not spotted in beta, like half the broken things when they get into the game.
    Get 12 players together with a Dev, get on TS or something. Dev hands out the script of the encounter to everybody so they know what should be happening. Then the Dev uses his/her Dev'ness and puts something like god mode on. You then run through the encounter seeing if the basics are working. Then run through the encounter checking to see if specials work. Run through the encounter again using all possible methods to beat the encounter to see if they are a legit strat for the encounter, and then finally get a 24 people raid grp and try him as if it was live.
    As with quests.. Well give the tester the script for the quest series and god mode so they can burn through it making sure that the mechanics are working (e.g. name pops, item harvest etc). Go through it again with a group if heroic or solo if its labelled solo (with no god mode), just to make sure it can at stated difficulty. Then try bugging the quest by deleting various items that the quest needs. For example, the claymore series would get bugged if people mistakenly deleted some of the items, this should of been spotted in Beta as its obvious something like this would happen.
    Imo one of the best ways of finding a bug is to purposely try and bug something.
    As for Tarin now.. Yeah he’s hard, but I see it as training for harder encounters, sort of a qualification process. Eg You can beat Tarin, you have the right and qualifications to move onto harder Opponents :)
    Btw - Lfw Beta Testing :)
    Plant
  4. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

Because the dev reset the encounter after every wipe so we could get people up, so there was never "2" pulls on the same tarinax.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kodros Guest

A challenge is always good. I honestly think they should change all the scripts of the major mobs in the game every few months. It would be awesome to feel like we are fighting a new mob all over again. What I think is crap, however, is that it took them 5 months to fix it.
  6. ARCHIVED-plantboy Guest

Hmm so you guys Beta Tested Him? I'm not sure I like that idea.. Beta testing should be left to a team of beta testers not a guild, its sort of conflict of interest. Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see it is, one of the top raiding guilds testing enounters out before the rest of the community gets a chance. However, my point is mute if there was a mixture of players from different guilds.
    Anyway, I'm not gonna say anymore as this is gettin away from the topic and a flame fest may start.
    Lets hope with the early start of EoF beta testing, we will see less bugs. :)
    Plant
  7. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

Maybe it's just me but I think he's easier now then he was before. And not that's not a joke I actually believe it.
  8. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

Too late, the flame-fest about beta testing started 2 months ago almost, pay a bit more attention.
  9. ARCHIVED-plantboy Guest

I'm sorry Sir, please don’t give me detention or a bad comment in my diary, I'll endeavour to spend more of my life reading through these forums in the future.
    I meant this thread for the flame fest.
    Plant
  10. ARCHIVED-Feltrak Guest

You can use swarm pets if you know what to do to them... but hmmm... not using swarm pets at all will give you less problems.
  11. ARCHIVED-Theivan01 Guest

My guild had never attempted Tarinax before, until this past saturday after the ninja fix.

We got him to 53% on our first pull so /shrug

I dont think he's a difficult encounter, and it bothers me that SoE took this long to fix the problem. Nothing that can be done about it now though =) I'll plow through logs this week and he'll be deaded on Saturday. But possibly we have an advantage by not getting tainted by the "easy" version? Fresh look on him so to speak.

-Rasix
    TRG Befallen
  12. ARCHIVED-Keldoth Guest

Being able to get him down to X % on your first pull, while nice, doesn't really show the difficulty.

Like most orange mobs, some of the difficulty comes from randomness (lucky crit), some comes from aggro issues (resisted taunts). Add in a mem wipe and a frontal AE, and it becomes a fight that even the best strat will get foiled on due to some freak occurance. The new Tarinax essentially increases in difficulty with each passing 30 second interval, so the longer you have to engage him, the more difficult it becomes to keep control.

Still, if you could kill him in 150-210 seconds before the patch, you should have no issue doing the same now. If you couldn't you may run into additional issues.
  13. ARCHIVED-Hazeroth Guest

I've been thinking.

I'm sure we've all heard the idea about fighting Tarinax in the water to avoid knockback. But something about that doesn't sit right...it feels like a bug. That when the area was originally designed the developers must have envisioned another way to kill Tarinax

Tarinax is huge and prepatch, when the water Tactic was made known, the adds were not a problem. But now with the adds it's really hard to keep an eye on Tarinax's position and keep an eye on Adds spawning. If you scroll out to see a larger area you see more, but can't look up, or the water will blind you. But if you are looking through 1st person. You can either see Tarinax or you can see the Adds, but you can't see both. If you're looking for the Adds, you may end up standing behind Tarinax (which, btw, is very very bad). If your looking at Tarinax then you might not noticed the Add that has just taken a shining to you and you think nothing of it, "oh it's just another AoE strike" up until the point you are dead.

After an unsuccessful raid...again...using the water tactic, I was scouting out the area directly behind Tarinax. It's a Large "C" Shaped recess in the wall Filled with treasure piles.

Something about that area, just screams "FIGHT TARINAX HERE, STUPID!!!!" These are the reasons I believe this is the area the Disigners want us to fight Tarinax;

Tarinax is far enough from this recessed area that you can get to it with absolutely no chance of Agroing the Dragon.

The area has a spot, almost directly on the Far Side of the "C" shaped recess, that even if you are hit by an AoE the only way the Dragon could knock you out of the hole is if he was directly behind you inside the wall, and then it may not knock you loose. The spot is directly behind a large pile of Gold, and you actually are covered is such a way that you Can't Tac left or Right, nor jump since the Wall is directly above you, this area is almost perfect since even if the dragon tries to flank you you should not be forced to slide out of the hole when a Knockback hits. Now, I say it's almost perfect because I can only see a few spots that a healer could target you. And those spots don't provide the knockback protection that the MT has. I can't with all certainty say how far you will get knocked from that spot but you still shouldn't get knocked back as far as if you where standing in the open where Tarinax waits.

The rest of the Teasure room does provide a messure of knockback protection. If you stand all the way into the Back of the "C" Shape, you see an almost arena type quality of the area. The Walls surround you from the 1-2 O'clock all the way to the 10-11 O'clock positions when facing directly out of the recess. The walls are overhanging over much of the area, so if you get knocked up the lip should catch you. and bring you down within 50 feet or so of the dragon. The only place where you will go the full Knockback distance is if you stand directly between Tarinax and the opening of the "C" Shape. And assuming the MT tank has control of the Dragon, you don't want to be there anyway because of the Tail Lash hitting you for 6-to 8K damage.

With the rest of the Raid Flanking the Dragon, when a Knockback hits you will be cradled by the walls of the recess so even if you hit the wall and find yourself Tac'ing to the side, the wall will eventually curve in a way that you would effectively have to move toward the Dragon during the Knockback to have any chance of going into the main room, (and effectively go hundreds of feet further).

Another benefit of this Curved Wall is that if everyone is in the same spot when a Knockback occures, Then everyone will hit the same wall, tac sideways to the same spot, and everyone will land in the same general area, so healers wont have to look for people to heal because they are 200 feet away. Another Happy side effect is quite possibly the Knockback may prevent you from getting hit by the Other AoE's that the Dragon has because you are now far away and the Healers can consolidate the heals so when you rush back in you will be fixed up.

Now I'm not saying this is the only way to kill him, I'm not saying that it's a definate win, Hell I'm not even saying that it will work. What I am saying is, if you have to rely on luck to win the battle, or your enemy to be unlucky, then you have no reason being there. If a tactic fails you 9 times out of 10, then it's not a tactic. YOU have to change, or the outcome will not.

P.S.

I have heard of a collistion issue with the dragon where eventually it may move into a wall, if that's the case. Once the GM's fix this problem then the raid will be much easier.
    Message Edited by Hazeroth on 08-20-2006 02:20 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Wabit Guest

bonesnap isn't a true knockaback... the gold pile can lead to LoS issues...
  15. ARCHIVED-Florin Guest

Hm, i dont see a big diference in Tarinax the new one. I see the Soul thing now is cureble and if you dont cure it you get a lot of adds. So make sure you cure that before goes out.

Other than that, have a main assist for the add, when is up kill it, takes a few sec, is only heroic. Watch for the mem wipe, do dispatch imediatly after the tank has agro back and is the same old fight as before.

Yes, we fight int he water.
  16. ARCHIVED-Aandien Guest

only your tank needs to be in the water really anyway.
    Find a better spot if you think you need more than the MT in the water.
  17. ARCHIVED-Fildren_the_Templar Guest

So, the best way to manage adds is to kill them as soon as they pop ?
    We tried to mezz them, but we failed :( (6 adds mezzed )
    62% was our best try !

Message Edited by Fildren_the_Templar on 08-21-2006 01:54 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Ellrin Guest

Our best so far is 55% at present.
    We try and position ourselves in his ribcage, but the trouble is in the water we cant see the adds properly to get them under control so they have normally owned somebody before they are brought under control.
    Next week im going to have the tanks in the water and the raid on land to better control the adds :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Gertack_v2 Guest

We have everyone in the water so that if he memblurs and does a knockback, he doesn't go running all the way across the room. Not like it'd happen all the time, but it was fairly annoying when it did happen and last thing you want is his cone pointed right at you as he takes 3 years to walk back to the rest of the raid.
  20. ARCHIVED-MeridianR Guest

Try it with everyone in the water, except the tanks.... ;)