Tank general info.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Drayos1992, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Boli Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me how many times people think pallys are not a defensive tank; it takes a bit more practice and knowing what each AoE/Deathtouch does (e.g. you don't just hit Tower of stone every red message) but they are up there with monks and guards tbh.

fun fact - damage reduction stacks if necessary ;)
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Im not sure what your trying to say here? DR wont save you from max HP based insta kills. Monk temps are superior to pallys no doubt about it Imho. Monks deathsave is 3 times better then pallys. Monk grp utility is honestly better too. On the stoneskin front they might be in the same league i cant remember honestly.

For example: try tanking woglok in a low dps grp first as a pally and then as a monk and the difference will be obvious.
  3. Boli Active Member

That's the point; it depends entirely on the *type* of the attack. The like 5000% max heath focus hits need faith, DF or LoH to survive; but you always needed those but the massive AoEs with decent health the other abilities defend against easily. Learning the type of damage attack and plan/time accordingly and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ofc extra death trigger or stoneskin won't go to waste but pallys can survive a lot more than peeps think.
    Atan likes this.
  4. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Well yes, any tank is capable in the right hands no doubt!
    There's just a matter of how easily that particular tank class could handle various situations.
    For example, I play a bruiser, ppl claim bruisers are broken and need some loving. I think bruisers are great, its just a matter of what u do with the abilitys u are given. One could argue wich tank is overall better then the other but it will ultimately boil down to the player controlling the tank. But also various tanks are more suitable in different situations, wich is great and how it should be IMO.

What you quoted me on was:

"Paladin is another favourite becuz they are soooo easy to control hate on. They can heal, A Lot and they have many Aes. They are pretty weak against hard hitting mobs due to the lack of stoneskins and block temps. They are great at mitigating magical dmg."

This is not me saying that paladins cannot or are'nt a defensive tank, this is me telling a new player/players that a paladin is a great tank to start ur tanking with as the scary part for any new tank is the aggro issue wich in many scenarios are easy to handle as a Paladin. The negative i put there about "facing hard hitting mobs" was becuz with the abilitys given it would be Easier to handle it on say a Guardian/monk. This is becuz the easiest way to handle a really hard autoattack is by completely avoiding it wich can be done for much longer on a Guardian or a Monk. For massive hitting abilitys Stoneskins are by far the best. While monks only have one stoneskin for magical dmg they do have 3 triggers on their 1min deathsave wich totally makes up for it.

So yes, Paladins can be as capable as any other tank as long as the one playing it knows his stuff, its just a matter of how easily its done.
  5. Aurius New Member

I think a better measure of a tanking class is:
    how well can it survive many situations without the player knowing everything about the encounter and being a master of their class.

There are some tank classes (not bruiser or pally) that are much easier to survive situations without as much foreknowledge or skill. There are others that are more difficult.
    That means some tank classes are more powerful, and others some love.
  6. Shiba Active Member

I love all of my children equally. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
  7. Mahgnus Member

As painful as this is to like this post, I fully agree