Tank general info.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Drayos1992, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Drayos1992 Member

Hey i've been considering playing a tank seeing how it was, I've always been a DPS throughout most games lately (Was a bard in EQ1 so wasnt rly a DPS there)

Was curious as this game has ALOT of different types of tanks, alot of games i've played have only rly had 2-3 tank classes within it and had a few questions on it.

first one will possibly be the noobiest question possible, but do Berserkers use 2 handed or Dual wield When it isnt using a Sword and Shield?.I rarely see them and they've always used one of those two (atleast in LADs i know when u tank properly shields are needed)

What are the hardest and easiest tanking classes?.

what is the strongest and weakest tanking class?

how hard is to realistically learn to become a great tank overall in end level heroics/Raid tiers?
  2. Bashem Well-Known Member

As a 100 zerker you can check out my EQ2U link in my sig to see me geared some ToV and AoM gear mostly AoM starter and some ToV quest gear as I not played for a few months.
    Tanks can use sword and board as well as big 2h and DW and most will swap as needed/desired as I do and I love playing my Zerker been my main toon when playing for 10 years now so good choice if you like leading you group in battles and just having fun solo or with a merc.
  3. Bashem Well-Known Member

I missed last part of your message my gear would be suitable for ToV and starting AoM instance but be better to get 100k for my resistances as there needed as go to 125-150k resists on gear last I remember. It be better for as a tank to have high hps and mine is minimal but due to not playing AoM heroics for gear upgrades and my adorns are minimal as well.
  4. Bashem Well-Known Member

5. Drayos1992 Member

how hard is it to gear as a tank for these zones? IM assuming u are expected to have better gearing then most roles a s atank?
  6. Bashem Well-Known Member

Click on my EQ2U link thats decent gear I got from some ToV heroics and just what I got doing AoM questline my mit is good enough and would help as a tank to have more hps and higher resist gear at 100k I am adorner so I made all my adorns a few are missing but as I said get my resists to 100k and can do starting AoM heroics.
    My gear should be fine for all of ToV zones as well.
    If you want tank AoM I dont know your skills or if your going in as a Zerker but if you are you need to control aggro know the layouts of the zones and hard good mitigation to minimize damage.
  7. Drayos1992 Member

Sadly as a player who has only just started the game i havnt even gotten my first level 100, so i do not know any of the zone layouts xD
  8. Bashem Well-Known Member

Well your of and running thats the main thing :) and you will have some time to get your skills honed in the meantime.
    The main thing is to go at your own pace and enjoy playing and learning your toon! There plenty grouping while your leveling and game your duties with be the same going forward. GL
  9. Drayos1992 Member

how forgiving are players towards tanks who Dont possess experience in end levels anyway?.. due to LADs it doesnt seem to be a hard job getting high, as far as i've been told only 95-100 are hard to actually do haha, I've always wanted to try tanking but in many games i've played people are quite disrespectful/Impatient when it comes to a newer tank haha.
  10. Bashem Well-Known Member

Most people are cool but there are too many idiots in the game can ruin it for you. Best thing I think for you to do is be a group tank for your guild, That best way to learn and not have people trying to annoy you. If you have enough people you can level with do it that way. I have a thin skin myself so I dont group much with my zerker but plenty with my 3 healers and my wizard and can learn the zone through them.
  11. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Different tanks excel in their area. Some are easier to play then others. Playing a tank in endgame is extremely different then playing one on the way up. You will be almost equally responsible to keep youself alive as the healer by rotating temps and timing stoneskins.

I have tried every tank in endgame (cept Sk, mine is 94) and here is what i think:

Zerker: one of my favourites. Very hard to kill with a solid temp rotation, they also have a passive heal making them immortal against weak mobs. Biggest collection of deathsaves of all tanks. Very easy to control hate from many mobs, slightly harder to hold singletargets when a big dps is burning it. Overall difficulty to learn i would say pretty easy.

Paladin is another favourite becuz they are soooo easy to control hate on. They can heal, A Lot and they have many Aes. They are pretty weak against hard hitting mobs due to the lack of stoneskins and block temps. They are great at mitigating magical dmg. Overall difficulty i would say definatly the easiest.

Now to my personal favourite... bruiser!
    Simply because i love the class! Great at dealing with menwipes. Awesome Utility for melee grps. Good at both singetarget aggro and AE aggro. These are harder to play then zerk and pally tho!

I will not say anything about the other tanks atm because im on the bathroom and just finished ;)
  12. Veeman Active Member

I dual wield and carry a two hander for my Guardian and use them for solo overland, solo and advanced solo zones. But I also have on appearance gear so you would have to examine me to see them.

Hardest for me is my SK, Easiest is my Monk, so what to I raid with? Guardian :).

There isn't a strongest in my opinion, each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Although for my playing style, the SK is the hardest due to holding aggro can be an issue for me sometimes.

Raid tanking is not easy to start with, although not even close to being too hard. You will need decent gear and high resists before your raid is going to allow you to get in the raid as one though. The resists are critical for all raiders, but HUGE for the tank. If you are just going to run Heroics, the Zerker and Pally both are pretty amazing for that.
  13. Drayos1992 Member

I do have intent to become a Raiding tank,I have been told Zerkers can be harder to become a Main tank in raiding as there are better choices for that, but tbh no one stays at the top in those areas ever, so im not looking to roll the Newest Top Tank... berserker seems to have high levels of reactive play etc etc which seems pretty interesting

Im levelling a zerker now c:
  14. Vunder Well-Known Member

If you are looking to raid tank, you really only have 3 options.

Guard, Zerker, Monk(or of an OT)

That is about it.

If you want to have fun and mainly tank heroics. Crusaders do great.
    Mahgnus likes this.
  15. Veeman Active Member

Good for you. Couple of recommendations if you decide that Zerker is the way you definitely want to go.
    1. Once you level up, try to group with other tanks, try to find someone who doesn't mind you asking a thousand questions. Hopefully you'll have someone like that in your current guild (if you are in one).
    2. Do not... I'll repeat that, Do not copy an AA spec from a Zerker in a top end raiding guild. You can and should use their's as a guide, but remember, they are probably fully mastered, fully grandmastered and probably have most or all of their ancients. They also have super uber gear. Why is this important, because it allows them to change their AA setup to increase weaker abilities, maybe more DPS or whatever and their gear compensates for that change. These changes might be a disaster for a lesser geared tank. Try to find a raiding tank that is still moving up the progression list and isn't maxed out.

Other than that, good luck. Tanking is both fun and frustrating. Sometimes the mobs just won't do what you want them to no matter how hard you try!
    Schrek and Belenos like this.
  16. Drayos1992 Member

Thanks for the Advise :D, ironically i did copy a berserkers build haha xD I'll change it around abit too see if i can get it to fit me during levels/Lower geared stages c:
  17. Erszebeth Active Member

Having played beserker as my general main since shortly after launch (minus a few breaks from the game here and there) I have always, I repeat ALWAYS been a Dual Wield(on occassion I've tried a 2H, but never cared for em) tank; that said, I also keep a shield hotkeyed for a quick swap if bad things happen and I need the defensive boost. A big thing to remember about beserkers-if you are not getting beat down, you are not generating any where near your potential threat or dps, zerks thrive on getting smacked around, and have a healthy pool of defensive cool downs, O SH** buttons, and death saves to keep them alive and kicking thru all of it.
    For holding aggro, the only real way to learn that is in a group where you have to perform; survival on the other hand, go somewhere thats a little tough to solo, and pull a TON of crap and learn till you die, if you survive, make the pull harder (more mobs, harder mobs, etc) until you're burning deathsaves and O SH** buttons and getting that adrenaline packed near panic feeling in your gut trying to survive the sh**-storm you just pulled down on yourself.
    Schrek, Belenos and Saute like this.
  18. Saute New Member

"adrenaline packed near panic feeling" <-- exactly why I like tanking.
    Belenos likes this.
  19. Schrek New Member

Want to learn to hold agro? run with a high dps'er and have them try to HOLD agro from you. any moron can grab agro, but it takes practice to hold it. knowing when to use your taunts and how to use snaps goes a long way in holding agro.
  20. Bashem Well-Known Member

You can use your merc to practice aggro control. just let merc start battles and rescue them.
    The 10yr pally or SK are goods ones I use.