Tank aggros mobs, but mobs make a bee-line for my pet.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Kuddain, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Kuddain Guest

I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on. I am having a real problem with the tank aggroing multiple mobs, and any mob that he doesn't specifically taunt, will make a bee-line for my pet.
    I have the pet in back off mode, he attacks nothing even if it hits me or the pet. it only attacks on my command. So it isn't an AoE issue. I can be outside a room, far out of aggro range with my pet behind me, even further from the room. When the tank runs in and proxy aggros the mobs, they will all run out of the room, run past me, and start attacking my pet.
    It doesn't matter what dungeon I am in, it is like this in all of them. It is so bad, I cannot use my pet anymore in groups.
    Am i crazy, or is this a known bug, or am I doing something really wrong?
  2. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Kuddain wrote:
    That sounds like a bug. But pet agro (for mage pets, and tank pets IRT it keeping agro) needs dev attention, anyways, IMO. Some tanks are really starting to not like grouping with Summoners (both Necro and Conjy) and last time I did a PUG with a Conjy in group also, it was just not pretty. They won't deny you a party cause you're a necro, but they will let it be known that they can't stand the agro summoners' pets are generating.
    If your group is amazing it's less of an issue, though, since the MOBs tend to die fast.
    My mage pet pulls way more agro than me, and pretty much any other DPS class I've ever grouped with outside of, well.. A Conjy's mage pet.
  3. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Trensharo@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Aggro for pets is based 100% on the damage they out out...
    If you have you /Pet-Protect-Me = Off AND /Pet-Protect-Self = Off then your pet will NEVER attack something unless told to. Never-Ever!
    If you have /Pet-Protect-Me = Off AND /Pet-Protect-Self = ON and the mobs cast a group target or PBAoE then that pet will jump right into the fight.
    Necro Pets fore certain, I don't know about Conjy pets, have a few AoE's they can blast off. When they choose to use them is dependant on the AI. If the pet blasts off a AOE before the tank establishes threat then just like a Mezzed mob, 'You break it, you buy it"
    If your tank can not jump-start thier aggro on single target or group encounters then you should wait and pause before sending in the pet. I have been with high aggro tanks and low aggro tanks and when the tank is having trouble establishing aggro or holding aggro you'll need to wait a few seconds before you /pet attack. You can still cast your personal spell without issue.

Aggo Management 101:
    1. Use Magic Leash every time its is available .. Macro it if necessary.
    2. If your aggro is really spiking AND you're able to get the Tier 3 Heroic detaunt then get it.
    3. There is nothing wrong with the pets or the aggro they produce ... a lot of DPS = a lot of Aggro
    4. I wish magic leash detaunted for 20k rather then only 5k
  4. ARCHIVED-Kuddain Guest

Thanks for the feedback so far, although, it seems I am not explaining myself clearly... which my wife tells me often is the case...
    Let me rephrase, my pet is set to never attack a mob. I summon the pet, and immediately hit the Green icon with the dove in side of it. This puts the pet in follow only mode and no matter what is attacking me or it, it never lifts a finger.
    I can be standing outside of a room. far outside the room. Well away from proximity aggro and any AOE casts. The rest of the party is between me and the door, and my pet is behind me. He is farther away then any other party member including myself.
    Lets assume there are 4 mobs inside this room. When the tank runs in, he has 1 of the 4 mobs on his target and he uses whatever spell/taunt he has on this one of four mobs. This one mob will start attacking him (the tank), the other 3 mobs, which are now aggro'd by the Tanks proximity, and the linked nature of the mobs in the room, will immediately run past the tank, past all of the other party members, past me, and start wailing on my pet, who by the way never lifts a finger or casts a spell. They will kill my pet in short order, and then turn and run back to the tank or any other party member who's attacks aggro'd the mobs. Again, let me reiterate, that I never hit a button on my keyboard, or clicked my mouse. My pet, never fought back, or casted a spell.
    This is dungeon agnostic, this happens to me in new zones and old zones. It happens in Fallen gate, and stormgate, runny eye, Sebilis, KC, etc. it has happened in every dungeon i have been in. I just don't pull the pet anymore when i am in groups. it also doesn't matte which pet I have up, it happens with the tank, scout and mage pets.
    I guess I am the only one this is happening with. i have asked in game and am just given helpful responses like read up on your class, and learn to play a necro. Valid points for sure, I do have lots to learn, but neither addresses my issue LOL. But you would think I would get at least one confirmation in a private tell that someone else is experiencing this same issue. But that hasn't happened in game yet on the several times I have asked, and it isn't happening here either, so I guess it really is just limited to me.
    Looking forward to any help someone can give me.
    Thanks.
  5. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    Necro and Conjy pets are practically identical except for which element the spells are and the fact that the Necro pet has Lifetaps and Group Lifetaps [Over Time]. They both cast DoTs. This isn't really about breaking Mezz. It's about the pets having gross Threat Generation.
    The T3 Mage Talent won't really help with a Pet. You mean the Heroic Talent? Take points in that and lose 2% pet crit bonus per rank? Lol. No.
    The pets do good DPS, but they do not outDPS Sorcs, yet they are outThreating the Sorcs I group and raid with almost 2 to 1.
    Dealing with the issue doesn't make it go away. I deal with the issue. It's still an issue.
    Dunno why you wrote that post to me, TBH. Most of it is irrelevant.
    No decent player runs around in a Heroic Instance or Raid with their pet set with Protect Me or Self On.
    Telling me to not use my pet because of its gross agro issues is like telling a wizard to just sit still for the duration of every third spell cast and do nothing. Idiotic. And the pet will pull a MOB before they do despite them hitting for significantly more damage (significant being a bit of an understatement).
    Yea, in Spire the other night the group made me stay on the real tank's mob (at the pit encounter where there are two). Despite me giving hiim a 20 second head start my pet ratched up to the top of the hate list in short order (I didn't soulburn, and even used ET before I started attacking, and started slamming Leash after the first nuke). They made me kill my pet and not use it until it was over. There was much complaining over voice chat.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lorrn Guest

ok, so a few questions for clarification on the exact issue.
    1. is someone in group pre-casting a reactive? yes your pet DOES have better cb and potency then you if your aa'd right and probably more then everyone else in your group, so if a reactive is going off that is precisely why your pet is getting the agro cause your tank isnt aoe taunting on pull hes body pulling the encounter and only hitting 1 mob.
    2. this is the funny one really, is a dirge being stupid and hate buffing your pet? (yes some moron dirge did that to my pet on a raid jsut to neuter my parse)

number 1 is the most likely culprit. youll find many many people do not understand reactives and pets do trigger them, the only times group reactives should ever be pre-cast are on mobs with heavy ae's talk to your group members and find out whos casting what pre-pull.
    with your pet set properly to not attack unless commanded there is 0 reason he should yank agro on pull. so there are actually 2 fails going on in every group you are in. 1 the tank isnt aoe taunting to establish hate with all the mobs pulled, and 2 someone is pre-casting without thinking about the repercussions.

talk to your group is the best advice i can offer.. hate will be an issue the higher level you get, you will find your pet outagroing EVERYONE except a pali that has a good amends target. use teh crap out of magic leash. do not soulburn if your pet is already over 75% on the hate meter leash him for a few seconds to dip under 70 then use it. when using soulburn, to avoid loss of pet always have a tainted heal casting to land exactly after teh burn goes off. i find the easiest way to do that is to cast soulburn followed by soulrot followed my mortality mark it will land about .2 seconds after the soulburn and full heal your pet. then immdeitaley magic leash him to frop him back down.

be patient with some work and practice it is quite easy to control the pet without having to make him stop attacking and never pull agro. however do NOT put aa's into agro redux aa's .. you dont need them other than bewilderment and magic leash.. anything past that is a waste of points.

i hope i was helpful.. imo it has to be a reactive causing the insta-agro on your pet. there is no other explanation that i can think of.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Kuddain wrote:
    another through I had that might be some-what of an issue is as follows;
    What type of pet are you using, I don't think you mentioned this. If you are using a Tank pet and someone (even you) cases one of the few aggro type of spells then the pet can move around the hate list even without doing anything.
    Elemental Toxcicity will reduce aggro for non-tank players in the group. This shouldn't effect a pet which has no hate but could effect a pet which has a little hate shooting him to the top of the list, or at least second behind the tank.
    Coercive Shout will add hate to all fighter types, including a Necro / Conjy tank pet. It would be possible that if this is cast that encounter mobs which are not being directly taunted by a tank could move to another fighter class (Tank pet).
    Enchanter and Bards and other scout classes have other hate and aggro type spells which could be being applied incorrectly to the wrong group classes or pets. Take a look at what your group is buffing up with.

The 'green icon with the Dove in it' would be the Summoner Pet Defensive Stance (Grisly Protection). This will increase the hate gain by a percentage 46% for lv 90 master and also has a proc which bumps hate by 500-ish for each hit. I know people use it for the 16% (master) health gain. If you are going to use this (like I do) then use the level 14 Grandmaster version of it. not only do you get 16.5% health gain but you also get a much much lower threat buff, closer to 80 hate per hit.
  8. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    Not to mention the Threat Mod is MUCH lower than the level 90 Defensive Stance. Really I would kick anyone form group if I seen them using a Defensive stance other than that 14 GM version, because it's not hard to figure out WTF is better. People use it for Soul Burn, though (with Rending Adornment it's +26.5% HP to the mage pet).
    But the Mage pets still seem to generate an unacceptably high amount of threat per cast compared to Player Characters, even in Offensive Stance. I never pull agro on my actual player character; it's always via the pet - and I do about twice as much DPS as it, or more. Since there is no raw target drop for the mage pet outside of the Endline Heroic (and I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole), it's an issue. They need to make Magic Leash drop significantly more threat, IMO, or just change it to a passive AA that lowers pet hate gain by %.
    That AA simply is not balanced for the way pets function in DoV (stat sharing significantly bumped pet DPS, and thus threat generation, up).
    Or they can change offensive stance into a pet Synergism with a 3% Potency/CB component, since it's literally useless as it stands... Maybe a 20% chance to proc per spell hit...
    If the OP is serious in saying the pet was just standing there and the mob just went for it, then he should bug the issue. I've seen it happen to me, but it hasn't happened since. It happened a couple times, when it did, though. I chalked it up to some random bug and figured it got fixed since I hadn't seen it happen again after that day.
  9. ARCHIVED-t20c06b Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    Actually, the "green icon with the dove in it" is the "/pet backoff" button. The Grisly Protection icon is a green shield with a bolt of lightning on it... or a dancing aboriginal... never been quite certain.

Back to the OP's point though... The only two things I can think of have already been said, those being: a) Which pet are you using? and b) What is pre-cast on pull within the group in terms of over-times or reactives?
  10. ARCHIVED-Vaylan77 Guest

Having the same problem on my Necro and also on the Conjurer but mainly with my Scout pet - the mage doesn't seem to have this problem.

Like you say: The pet does nothing, it does not attack and you are not in mob range. As soon as your tank in group tries to pull the aggro the mobs turn away from the tank and run towards my pet. Especially annoying when the tankt tries to train through a zone. The mobs just don't run after him then but beat my pet.

Also if I want to run through mobs and my pet is doing nothing it will be lost somehwere behind me and will get killed by the mobs cause I am not the one that keeps the aggro but obviously my pet has it and gets beaten up. And it is not attacking or protecting me!
  11. ARCHIVED-Rhadamanthys Guest

To the OP, I understood what you are saying. Seems like some people in here think you are ripping aggro from the tank, which is a different argument. You aren't doing anything, and neither is your pet. I think I've had this happen to me before, but not for awhile. If you want to test, I would recommend just grouping up with a tank, let him pull one mob from an encounter and see if they still go after your pet. That way, if someone in your group is casting a reactive or putting something on your pet, then you know it's not something a group member is doing. However, I think the cause of this when it happened to me was that from a previous fight, my pet cast the spell that heals the group over time. So when the tank would pull something, he would get healed from the pet, so they would go after the pet. Hope that helps.
  12. ARCHIVED-Muris Guest

To the OP, I've seen this situation too many times to count, I'll be just standing in the back, not casting a spell or anything, waiting for the tank to get the mob into camp. If I target the mob while he's pulling, the mob will target my pet almost everytime, and that's with doing NOTHING, no spell casts, no pet casts, just standing there waiting. I think it's part of this new bug with NPC's Attacking their own pets/adds now.
  13. ARCHIVED-Solarax Guest

I have also run into this problem
    especially in kael zones.
    just a side note , its really annoying me when in thrones for the last fight below the throne we cant use our pets because they refuse to engage no matter where we stand.
  14. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Soulskar@Splitpaw wrote:
    If you can not /Pet Attack <can not attack implied targte> then you need to 1) have your <pet protect me> turned on and 2) get hit! (usually from an AOE) ... this should engage the pet 99% of the time.
  15. ARCHIVED-zzvalarzz Guest

Something is screwy since GU61 I was in the Palace of Sabaron (at lvl 80 with a bunch of 80-85 folks) and I could watch the tank AoE taunt and do AoE damage and some mobs would still head straight for my pet...several times it was before I had done anything at all ! Since the pet kept getting killed (and me :) I was holding off a few seconds before casting/sending in the pet. I bet I have resummoned my pet more in the last week than in the year before that. We had another summoner in the group and he was having the same problem...almost every pull one or both of our pets would be aggroed, even if we did nothing.
  16. ARCHIVED-Dumuzi Guest

I have the same problem and I'm glad someone else does, because some necro I talked too didn't seem bothered.

It has nothing to do with procs, or bad tank or anything. Even if I stand far behind, doing NOTHING, the pet set on punching bag mode, mobs rush straight to the pet.
    Heck, the best part is in the hole where I am NOT KOS, mobs attack my pet.

Finally had to cancel the pet, it was constantly splitting everything, total chaos.
  17. ARCHIVED-Yadarya Guest

I am noticing this as well. It is so bad that the Necro pet is even getting attacked while group is running through GREY mobs, nobody in the group is KOS, no fight has been engaged and the pet is set to follow...
  18. ARCHIVED-infa Guest

I think the latest problem is due to the Teamwork AA buff. It's like your pet constantly has "buff aggro" such as when another player casts a group buff during incoming.
  19. ARCHIVED-Valdak Guest

I am having the same issue. In pools yesterday I tried all three pets with the same result. Protect me and protect yourself were both off and and mobs were running past the tank and attacking my pet. I see the OP was in June however this problem only started for me last week, till then there was no problem. If the devs read these posts please get this fixed.
  20. ARCHIVED-Karimonster Guest

This has been happening for months with shaman dogs =/ Sorry that they borked you guys too instead of fixing it for us.