Sorry devs, but Charme's Way is ugly!

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

The most epic weapons are ugly. Those moving parts and fluffy stuff makes them look like plastic toys. Esp. the very rediculous templar hammer... or whatever it is meant to be.
    Once aquired, probably 95% of those players will ("have to") keep them until level 90. So such weapons should really have an optics pleasing the eye. Exaggeration looks amazing at the first glance only but for the rest of all time it is just annoying.
    Sure, the epics should look extraordinary. But often less really is more. A piratish sabre with a lightly curved blade with some light/particle effects would be perfect.
    Since the swashi is my main I am most concerned about his weapon.
    Why the heck couldn't this weapon be a good auld lightly curved piratish looking sabre (don't mean an ugly falchion!)? I really don't understand why this geometry was removed from the game at all. This geometry looks so perfectly for a piratish swashbuckler. The geometry is still in the game: NPCs wear it and some low tier sell-loot. But it has been removed from the craft recipes without any reason and unfortunately no sensible T8 loot looks like that.
    Somehow the current swashi epic also looks a bit suiting the class but it isn't a faintest match for the curved blade sabre. It is really a pity. Since that mentioned sabre geometry has been removed from the game, it would be perfect for the epic weapon due to the rareness of its look out there.
    The current swasbuckler epic needle is just disappointing optically. Turn it into a non-needelish but piratish sabre!
  2. ARCHIVED-Shiverr Guest

While its certainly not perfect, its not that bad either. At least it is a unique graphic. I do concur that the spinning blade is sophomoric and less definately is more in this case. Spinning blades for a swashbuckler.... bleh. Perhaps if it were just the small blades around the handleguard spinning that wouldnt be so bad.
    The overall look, however is one that you can see being fitting for a swashbuckler. I think that if pictures of each Epic were posted up without description you could pick Charms Way out as a swashbuckler/rogue epic by appearance/feel. While I wouldnt have a problem with more of a piratish appearance as you suggest, not all swashies have that in mind, so I believe it has a more universal appeal.
    Asides from asthetics however, I was slightly letdown with the stats for something "Epic." Probably even more so after beating that stooopidly hard pirate encounter.
  3. ARCHIVED-Dreadpatch Guest

I like it TBH. My Guild Leaders Bruiser epic looks ridiculous imho
  4. ARCHIVED-AerieHeart Guest

When my warden friend got his epic, I thought it was a bow at first. Ours is far from being the worst :)
  5. ARCHIVED-AScarlato Guest

I like the view on Charm's Way. Thumbs up from me. *shrugs* I don't really RP a pirate though. My character has nothing to do with Piracy.
  6. ARCHIVED-m0ya Guest

AScarlato wrote:
    Yes your character has everything to do with piracy cause you play a mf'ing SWASHBUCKLER.

And yes, the look is UGLY, it's a rotating chicken rotissery.

Almost NO particle effect whatsoever!

The ICON doesn't even have a glowy aura like EVERY OTHER CLASSES!

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. ARCHIVED-AScarlato Guest

8. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

m0ya wrote:
    Lol, that's a good destription of what it looks like.
  9. ARCHIVED-m0ya Guest

AScarlato wrote:
    I doubt SOE based the swashbuckler class on Wikipedia.... + Swashbuckler are a subclass of the Rogue Class...
  10. ARCHIVED-AScarlato Guest

You're logic is flawed and reasoning ignorant.
    A Pirate is a type of rogue. Pirates in recent popular culture (some at least) have been Swashbuckler-esque, but that does not mean that the majority of pirates aren't actually quite thuggish, unshaven, and rather brutal (and not flashy) in their murderous designs to get what they want. This is why BRIGANDS can also be Pirates, along with Swashbucklers. Will you also argue that all Brigands are pirates too?
    Also, fencing today has nothing to do with pirates. Again while in popular media, Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Carribean will fence, in reality, most people that engage in the study of fencing are/were either nobles or just people with an eccentric hobby. You cannot say that all or even most fencers are Pirates. This is why Fencing is an entirely separate designation, and is not dependent on one being a pirate.
    So your arguement that a Swashbuckler is a type of rogue, which means that all swashbucklers are pirates is flawed. A swashbuckler can be a type of Rogue. But so is a Pirate. Not all swashbucklers have to take up Piracy as a profession.
    Our epic quest focused on pirates, but one can also say that our epic quest had components for the other types of Rogues as well.
    1. In EQ1, Rogues where thieves and assassins, and not pirates at all. EQ1 rogues had to sneak into Neriak for Ragebringer. In EQ2, Swashbucklers also have to sneak through Neriak to buy poisons. Hence a Swashbuckler can be a Thief.
    2. The Wedding instance. Here this supports the role of the Swashbuckler as saving the girl, which again is not dependent on piracy.
    Unless there was a wave of pretty-boy pirates (Swashbucklers), I fail to see how all Swashbucklers are Pirates. In fact, even in popular media, usually only 1 or 2 main character Pirates are even charsimatic at all. Even the rest of the "Good Guys" are usually a more traditional breed of dirty, uneducated and unkept pirate.

Thanks.
  11. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

Yes swashbuckler doesn't mean pirate.
    I would like the epic appearance without the spinning blade effect.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kram337 Guest

AScarlato wrote:
    Well put. Somebody just got owned :)
  13. ARCHIVED-OutcastBlade Guest

Swashbucklers can be pirates though.
    Look at Princess Bride.
  14. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

does it matter id use the weapon if it looked like a popsicle or a terd on a stick

use the weapon and be happy, just keep feed backing weapon appearance slots
  15. ARCHIVED-Zin`Carla Guest

m0ya wrote:
    umm.. sorry you guys, i agree with the discontent about the "spinning" theme which every other epic seems to have, however the assassin epic beats you hands down for worst looking, most unimaginative design in the game for epics. And our mythical particle effect looks like dripping jam... Oh btw our epic's animation only happens when we're dead... ya, the tip of the blade twitches when we're dead. that's what we get. animation when we're dead. Sure, the blade does sort of separate to make it look like Shazam's lightning bolt but it was about a month before anyone even noticed that actually happened.
    So um, yay... be happy you didn't get a dammed butter knife with jam like we did.
  16. ARCHIVED-kimopo Guest

AScarlato wrote:
    Just eh... wondering... but... about walk the plank?
  17. ARCHIVED-livejazz Guest

I don't know about the Fabled version, but I saw the Mythical version last night, & it looked sooooooo good I nearly messed my pants.
    It's especially ubah-sexeh on me, but that's no surprise :)
    Edit: I'd just like to reiterate that I am not a greasy, foul-smelling, flea-ridden, poxy, unkempt pirate. I am a loyal member of the Queen's Guard, never failing! & no I don't have an ability called "Walk The Plank" ... for me, it's called "Turn Around, Knave!"
  18. ARCHIVED-kimopo Guest

Flaye@Mistmoore wrote:
    Not everyone has the cunning to be a pirate, but we forgive you. If you really do need to follow the queens every order, well... i hope that works out for you.
  19. ARCHIVED-livejazz Guest

kimopo wrote:
    There's a difference between "never failing" & feeling bound to follow the Queen's every order. After all, she doesn't need to know every little detail of how her instructions are implemented, does she? I'm sure she has many other things to worry about -- weighty statecrafty stuff! -- than the actions of one of her agents.
    Especially one as obviously loyal -- not to mention devilishly handsome, cunning, & charming -- as I am.
  20. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

i hope we get to kill the queen