Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Griff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kinda read that as "nothing will change, except for the better, but we don't care to meet the player base at this time; thank you". As opposed to meeting with the players and saying "Same old team plus some, new stuff, bigger budget, relax your fears, get excited, things will be great!"
  2. Polychrome Member

Gonna give my 2 copper on the situation.

Reading between the lines, I think Sony is trying to get out of PC gaming. If you think about it, PC gaming has always been considered one of their biggest enemies, and yet they indulged because at one point, Everquest was a huge cash cow.

Now that Microsoft is going head-first into blurring the lines between PC and console, I think Sony is trying to get out before they find themselves inadvertantly on Xbox against their will.

But all that said, I think this is going to be a good opportunity for Daybreak. I know Smedley has been wanting to port stuff to Xbox for years (I remember him talking about it way back in SWG-days...). So now they've got their chance. I wish all in the newly named studio good luck, and I hope it works out for you.
    Griff, Wanderingbat and Losadunai like this.
  3. Griff Well-Known Member

On the flip side with a brighter note, EQ1/EQ2 has never had a lack of talent, just a lack of budget. A real life example for the wife and I was the start up of our small cafe. Good food, happy customers, extremely limited menu because of a small kitchen with aging used equipment that made life difficult. A friend of the family saw the potential, invested in our cafe and things turned around greatly. Sometimes, funding a good concept with a limited budget can do wonderful things.

I won't lie and say that I'm not a bit nervous, but really, we're going from a parent company that want's to divest itself from SoE to a firm that wants to invest in the franchise. We have a wonderful creative team behind the game; one that I feel, with the right support, could really ramp things up again.
    Pipsissiwa, Zeffran, Belenos and 12 others like this.
  4. Griff Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that SoE REFUSED to sell Vanguard and retained ownership which I am guessing will be turned over to the new company. Could be a very good thing given the potential that Vanguard had. I'm biased since I left EQ2 to play Vanguard and returned here after the sunset of that game.
    Belenos and Wirewhisker like this.
  5. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

There is always the chance that Vanguard could be revived, or sold to a different publisher. It is too early to tell. Sale of a defunct game would generate modest revenue in the short term, but may not match the investment firms long term plans.

Or SOE could be splintered and sold off in pieces over the next year.

It is too early to tell, and it will most likely be months before we have any concrete information.
  6. Nezette Well-Known Member

Ewww... neither.

Both are like Menna Jarbles, a drunk alter ego that ruins your life!!! (Jenna Marbles youtube videos are a common reference, right?) I'm never going to remember what "ee" letter goes where... GBC, CGD, BGD, GBD, DBC, BCD... like, nope! Not gonna happen!

I vote we just go with DG, like Dolce & Gabbana... it's destined to be classy as all get out!
    Ruckus likes this.
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

Interesting development.

Its hard to formulate an opinion about it without knowing more about the deal. I'm sure some of that information will come apparent in the days and weeks to come.

My initial thoughts are not good when I look at Columbus Nova and their probable strategy here. In these scenarios you have to ask yourself is SoE, and what Columbus Nova bought: the people, the infrastructure, and the existing code worth more or worth less than the intellectual property (ie the brand and the lore).

When you answer that question for yourself, you formulate your opinion if they were bought for:
    1) Existing Revenues
    2) Potential Revenues from works in progress
    3) Value of selling off those revenue streams (existing games)
    4) Value of selling the brand for someone else to place on their game

Leverage those things with the purchase price (yet unknown), and you will find where this is all going.

At this point, too little is known to really know the answers and all anyone can do is speculate.

All I can say is, with personal experience of building my own software company, being bought by one capital firm and then sold to another, my heart goes out to SoE employees over the months to come.
  8. Maltaros Active Member

This. Given how so many "Investment Management Firms" work I would fully expect to see all of the various SOE properties sold off for large amounts netting Columbus Nova a tidy profit.
    Gaealiege and Feldon like this.
  9. RainbowArches New Member

oh no......
    I played LoTRO for many years, until they were bought out. Prior to that Crafted Gear was the way to go; the marketplace was for niceties, not essentials. FTP had been introduced before the buy-out, but marketing by Turbine was not the best. After the buy-out, FTP was heavily marketed and everything in the game catered to that... changing Loot to mearly trash; All the best armor and weapons were in the marketplace... for RL cash... and lots of it. The membership I was paying for became a joke, getting few benefits. The population changed from friendly, helpful, encouraging people to an overwhelming number of crass,rude, selfish, obnoxious people. Drama was the highlight of every gaming session, with put-downs (not in fun) and offensive remarks in chat at all times. It caused the older population to change, they became less helpful to everyone but their older friends in game, they suddenly could think of little else to chat about except the negative changes to the game and population. In truth, the game sessions became quite sad, not enjoyable at all. The older original population began to leave the game, and finding a group of well-known players was near to impossible thereafter. I stayed for a while after, but it was no fun having none of my old friends to talk and laugh with.
    It was heart-breaking for me to leave the game; every so often I would log in, pay my rents to my house and "kin-house" as well, walk around looking at the house items we fought hard to obtain (quest/instance rewards). Seeing some of the special housing items a kinny had donated to the Kin-house, etc; going thru our common storage chests where any kinnie could stop by and take what was needed for a quest or instance, or crafting of some special gear. Everything stayed just where it was, there were no kinnies left to take any of the items.
    Then I found EQII... I fell in love with the different crafting style, the story/quest lines and the Loot system gave (and still does... for now) the best gear. I'm still sad about what happened to LoTRO, as LOTR and The Hobbit are in my top 5 stories of all time (not to mention the amazing genius of J.R.R. Tolkien: creating an entire Elven language, that addressed every issue any language contains, not just the nouns & adjectives).
    Well, now that I've been playing EQII (and Landmark) for the past 5 years and have become comfortable again, and happy; here is virtually the same message we all received when in LoTRO, and in exactly the same manner: after the fact.

I need diversion more than most to manage my Fibromyalgia pain; and I need the mental stimulation to my thinking and problem-solving, due to the "Fibro-Fog"... this is my therapy, so to speak. A therapy I have come to enjoy very much, and sincerely look forward to every day.
    Our guild is my 13 alts and my daughter's 11, and we were going to upgrade to a tier 2 guild house later this week (we are level 62 with just US). But I think we will wait now, and see how things go in the game for a long while.

I am beyond sad over this... it feels like deja-vu.
    Expect things to change... but,
    I pray that this time, the outcome will be different.
    Alenna, Prissetta, Griff and 6 others like this.
  10. Gothy New Member

well im pretty sad about this. Lets look at this from the perspective of what we have seen of past game companies, how they have changed hands and what happened to them. I have to say Origin almost never got to where it is, remember it started with Ultima Online.. altho it almost died it now is big and on its own and has some of the best titles out but it does have ps platforms. no biggy. The freak out over platforms should not affect the game worlds. In fact could enhance gaming because it could bring in more players. Lets face it eq2 is lacking for players on many servers. If someone chooses to try to play eq2 on ps4 that will be their hard luck not pc players. my concern is about the company daybreak .. unknown to gamers .. for all we know they could be a land development company and i dont mean eq2 housing. They have nothing to show that is impressive. so this is scary for long time players.

Sure so we have to give them a chance to prove they will act. but most of us know how game co.s think in the main frame. players come last money speaks first. if there is money they may do something with updates and game plans.. but if they dont have it .. and have to downsize .. by by great plans.. look at daoc .. it could never get the backing it needed to build up great new updates that would have totally enhanced and brought it up to date. that game was pure awesome in concept. people still talk about the good days of daoc. they have no money to do much. someone mentioned they have outdated website.. well if that is the case .. um.. that should speak for itself if they cant even upkeep their website with new innovative design. So take a bigger look at the bigger picture and realize .. time could be limited.. if they dont show their hands quickly.. we could see decline in quality.. for me eq2 has provided quality maybe not over some periods of the 8 or 9 yrs but steadily improved.. now big time sad..
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. Grey Lightning New Member

I have played a bunch of MMORPG s and have been disappointed in all until I tried EQ2. I was first impressed by the user interface. I can play the full featured game with a mouse and keyboard. al these games designed around gaming systems, intended for teens with game controllers with 36 buttons and triggers drive me nuts. and I have never found a game with better story lines with a full rich history. I sincerely hope the new owners keep these things in mind as they enter the market. I can see adding PS and Atari versions with different interfaces aimed at their advantages. this would bring new players into the game. Just please don't destroy what us older members love in the process. and let us keep the interface we know like a part of us.
  12. Wellknownmember Active Member

Stunned. My only comment for now is: whether you're an investment company or God, consider the harm you can do by sunsetting games, or even just ruining them. I've spent about 4 years of my life here (much less than most people on this forum), I've invested my life/time in this and if it goes away, I'll never trust you again with my time investment.

It's not a money grab from where I stand, it's a direct threat to my personal lifestyle. So if you're thinking you're going to "focus on the 16-25 age group" you'll be annoying the hell out of me. I have money too, we're in our late 50's, my partner and I. Do they even know what they have bought? They've bought our online lives, and I'd be willing to bet that most of us aren't in the Millenial category. I just hope that they don't see that as a problem they need to solve.

I read a lot of BS about how young people are where the profit lies. If that were true here, then how do you explain all the moms and dads who pay for not only little Johnny's account but for their own, and the DINK's like us who have recurring accounts? Also most "boxers" I know are boomers and they pay for at least 2 accounts usually, sometimes all 6 or even 24, the serious ones. Boomers don't only need medical supplies and dubious vacation packages.

Note: DINK = double income no kids

I've personally spoken with and even eaten dinner with Arneson and Gygaxx, both nice guys who were granddads by the time I met them. They started something that spread to the online arena. Does this investment firm understand that? This isn't Fruit Ninja, though that's a fun game, this game has depth and I don't want it to become a device oriented limited shadow of itself.

If this firm really wants to keep on keeping on the way things are going, then they might work toward changing public attitudes toward online gaming. I always feel like a self indulgent wastrel if I mention it at work or anywhere really. But this enterprise requires artists and actors and writers, not known for being profitable themselves... unless... they are considered an ART, or somehow culturally contributing. Is it too much to ask that a game be considered great art? I don't think it's a stretch, lots of themes from great art are mimicked already, stories from history are recycled, tales with morals are told (example, McScroogle). I'm not sure it's really a "kid's game" and never was.
    Goldheart, GrunEQ, Pipsissiwa and 9 others like this.
  13. Daniel1223 New Member

If this changes EQ or EQ2 in any way, I'm going to puke on the most adorable kitten I can find... Save a kitten and don't screw this up "Daybreak"... if that is your real name!
  14. Gothy New Member

another thing this reminds me of tv series day schedules. when a series doesnt have the viewer number bigwigs want it to, it is sent to friday n saturdays time slot to die a slow death to cancelation. this feels the same right now
  15. ruthless619 Member

They said drops were SC MONTHS AGO. Its your fault you don't know how to read.
  16. Mezaka Active Member

Like many, I also have my reservations about this. Only time will tell, and if their acquisition of EQ2 changes things to the point where my fun goes away, then I will also leave with my wallet. There is a reason I play this game and not others, and I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

Until then, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to see how this new company takes the reign, and what they do.

Just my 2 Cu.

--Mez
  17. Sunari New Member

Source: Variety
    SOE will now be rebranded Daybreak Game Company and will continue to produce massively multiplayer online games and manage its existing titles. Those include the popular “EverQuest” franchise, “Planetside 2,” “Landmark,” “Dragon’s Prophet” and horror game “H1Z1,” which started giving gamers early access on Jan. 15. It’s also behind “DC Universe Online.”
    In addition to more resources, the acquisition will enable Daybreak to expand onto other platforms, with company president John Smedley tweeting, “Can’t wait to make Xbox One games!” Given its previous owner, SOE had focused primarily on releasing its titles on PCs and the PlayStation console.

“We see tremendous opportunities for growth with the expansion of the company’s game portfolio through multiplatform offerings as well as an exciting portfolio of new quality games coming up, including the recently launched ‘H1Z1′ and the highly anticipated ‘EverQuest Next’ to be released in the near future,” said Jason Epstein, senior partner at Columbus Nova.
    Griff likes this.
  18. Sunari New Member

Source: Variety
    Founded in 2000, Columbus Nova manages $15 billion in assets spread across four groups overseeing corporate credit, private equity, growth equity and real estate.
    “We are excited to join Columbus Nova’s impressive roster of companies,” Smedley said. “We will continue to focus on delivering exceptional games to players around the world, as well as bringing our portfolio to new platforms, fully embracing the multiplatform world in which we all live.”
    SOE opened its doors in 1998 and scored the next year with “EverQuest,” which went on to sign up half a million subscribers by 2004.
    Griff likes this.
  19. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, I will be heartbroken if eq2 goes away. There is honestly no other game out there that holds my interest. Not feeling very happy right now.
  20. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

This ^^^ times infinity.