Solo - Aggro - Dots Post 24

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Garandhire, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Garandhire Guest

I posted the thread about being gimped at reaching lvl 24. The more I though about things the more questions I came up with.

With Pulse greyed and Bludgeoning earth as our only real effective dot how are we expected to function in a solo manner. Seism and blight are aoe's ( These usually generate instant aggro when solo ). Swarm of rats has a 2 minute recast. My 24 pet does a poor job of holding any kind aggro due to poor damage output. looking at the radar my next effective dot is at 30. by the time 30 hits Blud earth will be greyed and I will still only have one effective dot for solo. Option 2 involves playing pet medic... With a good pet its doable... with a poor pet its aggro.

In conclution I am beginning to think that we are not meant to be a solo class. I see melee classes at my level taking out yellow and orange's solo with no issues ( Quarter of health gone ).

Then there is the whole armor power issue - Why do the 20 armor quest?. To look good? The extra power is worthless. If i cast even a hair too much mob is all over me. I could cast Aqueous Stoneand get aggro. Most combats Im in barely use 2 bubs of blue power. Eating good food and drink has that back up in seconds. The only real use for the power is to reapeatedly cast root spells ( This in turn generates even more hate ) to try and avoid getting mob ganked.

Any input or fighting techniques from those at 24 or above would be appreciated.

Cya
  2. ARCHIVED-Urguwno Guest

Upgrade all your spells religiously. This is 100% required for solo'ing effectively. Pet and pet buff upgrades are the most important. No spell should be less than Apprentice III at any time.

If you're not doing tradeskills be sure to join a guild with folks who are, and save all your money for spell upgrades.

If you are doing tradeskills become an Alchemist, Sage or Woodworker. (Sages scribe the spells but they can't do that without the proper Dye and Quill.) Keep your mining skill maxed out and mine often for rares.

Solo lots and lots of green mobs at 24th until you get your next pet buff at 25th. Upgrade both as soon as possible.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xxithsiss Guest

I can't believe you have a problem soloing post 24. I am in awe at the statement alone. Soloing is so easy its not even funny. However, since you are having probs I'll share what I do. Forget Pulse. I use BE and Blight..yes Blight has an ae on contact and is on the power heavy side, but I can tap my pet after combat so I don't stress power drain. Nukes are only for when the mob is low on health or has agroed you. If you are getting agro you need to practice timing your dots so your pet maintains agro. And yes pet/pet buff adepts are essential to making things easier, although I still use UA app2 and have no probs.

GL to you

Criimson
    Lavastorm
  4. ARCHIVED-Garandhire Guest

you must still be soloing Greenies then... On yellows... I get aggro a ton with the new pet. sometimes I dont even have cast at all... just send in pet and the mob is after me. This problem has been repeatedly brought up here. Manage aggro? Rofl. The old pet did mids 40's damage... Held aggro well. New pet does low 30's 31 32 etc. Do the math... Blight is a crap spell for the mp. aggro in this game is bugged. Period. Not just for this class but for groups as well.

Nuf Said
  5. ARCHIVED-Xxithsiss Guest

Regardless of what you think I'm soloing. All I am saying is I can do it. Therefore, forgive me, but I can only assume that it is in your technique. I was trying to help you, but if you feel the need to not listen or question the way you do things then play something else. No one is making you play a necro. Necros are fine the way they are.

Criimson
    Lavastorm
  6. ARCHIVED-Garandhire Guest

"Nec's are fine the way they are" I don't know what game you are playing but it does not seem to be the one the rest of us are. Necs are not "fine". There are a bunch of "bugs' currently. I am going to assume that you may not be intelligent enough to be able to discern the difference between a game feature and a game bug. I suggest you read through the forums here and educate yourself. Telling us that you are not having issues and everything is going perfect makes you look very foolish. I do understand that you like the game and feel the need to defend it. But you need to understand that admitting there are issues is the first step in getting them corrected.

Aggro is my main issue. It is bugged. There is a problem. I fixed my problem and canceled my account. Its not the game for me. it may be in 6 months or so but its not now.

Cya
  7. ARCHIVED-Asarya Guest

I wouldnt say that "necros are fine the way they are", there are loads and loads of issues with our spells that should be dealt with, but on the whole we are doing pretty ok.

Soloing is no problem, yellow and orange con's go down as the should granted you use the right tecnique and have a few spell upgrades. What is very important to understand is that just because a spell is new, it wont help you as much as you may think, there is a reason why it says "You have just begun to realize this item's potential", the spells grow as you level and hit their maximum efficiency later on, depending on wich upgrade you have this might vary.

As an example the lvl 24 warrior, when you get the pet it does somewhat meagre damage and has trouble holding aggro if you stack your DoT's + has to heal it, this is because your BE now is has reached high efficiency and the pet cant hold aggro over upgraded BE+Blight+Pulse (Or whatever you use), once you hit lvl 25 you get Boon of the Lifeless (Upgrade to Agitation, they dont seem to stack aggrowise even if they dont overwrite either) wich helps a lot, in the next few levels your pet will grow stronger until it reaches its maximum while you DoT's will not increase in power at the same rate, thus making it easier for the pet to hold aggro.

This it how it goes on, the key is to keep your spells balanced, using an(or more) upgraded DoT's together with a rookie pet is asking for trouble.

Then it can of course be discussed how long it should take to kill a mob and if you really should have to use up all your power to kill that mob 2-3 levels higher than you in 2 minutes when you at the same time see a 4 levels lower wizard killing the same mob in 45 seconds :) (Happened to me today in EL)

Some spells are also severely bugged (Wich has been mentioned), the rats are completely useless since it cancels basically everything, once they are fixed soloing will become a bit more fun.

Naum Iv
    Runnyeye
  8. ARCHIVED-TraceDAce Guest

All I can say is that I am sorry you are quitting, but I see no problems at the point I am. It is a game and is made to challenge players. If you could solo and kill every mob you came across it would get very boring. I was soloing Blue ^^ Titans with my App 2 Recruit and doing fine, then I had one pop that my pet couldn't keep the agro. I died, got my shard, and went at him again. The next time I had the same problem, but I got smart, I used my Adept 1 Petrify, when that wore off my pet had sufficiant agro that he didnt bother me again, I nuked and Meleed till he was dead. You have to approach each battle differently, it works for me. I admit I die some, but I expect that, it makes me rethink my approach, change my tactics, and hit them again. Just my 2 cents.
  9. ARCHIVED-Hidohebhi Guest

Have fun in WoW or wherever, one less whiner the better. Seriously these boards are degenerating with people who are expecting the eq2 necro to be a solo powerhouse with eq1 (not painting everyone with the same brush, just a lot of em). I agree with Trace, take it as it is and give it time to get the bugs worked out, if there really are any. I play a necro in every MMO I play if there is one, not for power but for immersion/play style. I am enjoying my "new" necro and am exploring what I can and cannot do. I really enjoy the differences (such as being able to group more effectively than eq1) but I refuse to compare em.
  10. ARCHIVED-Xxithsiss Guest

I was not refering to issues such as bugs. The game is in its early release, there will be bugs. I am discussing the topic of "this" thread which is our ability to solo or compare to other classes abilities to solo. In that area we *are* fine.

Criimson
  11. ARCHIVED-Xxithsiss Guest

I couldn't agree more. I am very tired of tells asking if we are like the eq1 necro and can do the things we did. This eq2 if you want t o play an eq1 necro, then go play eq1.
    It is the differences in the two games/classes that has made me love this game so much. It is the fact that I am not replaying my old char in a new engine/world.

Criimson
    Lavastorm
  12. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

We are not "whining" the class is broke and you are bloody blind if you cant see it.

Look at our boards, then look at the wizzy boards.. you dont see people crying over there - because they are worth a **ZOMG** in a group.

Our class is very unbalanced as are the conjourers. Sure, I can solo yellows BUT SO CAN EVERY OTHER CLASS.. besides, soloing yellows is not conducive to fast exp gain. You want exp, you need to solo easy blues, and lots of them.

And the point about upgrading spells is great advice. Unfortuantly on Inny server - there are none to buy, and none droping. At 24, 90% of my spells are still app3 and app2 and I have a crap load of gold in the bank. No amount of money can buy an item that doesnt exist.
  13. ARCHIVED-Smaack Guest

Its not true that every other class can solo yellows. My lvl 24 warden (druid) doesn't solo worth a **ZOMG**. I've been playing necro because soloing as necro IS possible, and fairly easy to do. It may be that some melees can solo well - that was true in EQ 1, up to a point. But I suspect that by the mid 20's we haven't yet reached that point where mobs do so much melee damage that a melee class won't be able to take them on without a healer. When that point comes, necros will again become the premier solo class. With a pet that tanks like a plate class and the ability to heal him, no other class is so well equipped to handle hard-hitting higher level mobs solo.
  14. ARCHIVED-Viromage Guest

I don't think I am blind yet I don't think the class is broke. I seem to be able to do all sorts of damage in group without drawing agro, ok I am only lvl 20 but I am learning as I go.
    I really could care less what other class's are talking/complaining about, there will always be someone complaining, you can't please 100% of the people all the time it is impossible.
    They stated prior to the release of EQ2 that you will beable to solo in EQ2 however if you want to advance faster in the game they recomend grouping. This was stated like 5 months ago. So if your wanting to just solo then either suck it up and do what you have to do or /format c:
    I find it hard to believe they would have different drop rates for different servers. I bet they created 1 and ghosted the layout to all the servers, to me that would be more efficient. On Najena most everything is forsale in the market at one time or another or people are taking orders to make it. The resources are there you just have to learn how to use them.

Just my 2 cents....
  15. ARCHIVED-saboteur1133 Guest

Just making a general statement here. I'm level 24 -- I have no problems soloing. I have no problems with aggro. When I turned 24 I was using the app2 Adherant, I switched it out a few times with adept1 Recruit, they seemed to tank almost equally. Now I have adept3 Adherant, so this has become my main tank. I rarely solo blue or green mobs, I feel it's a waste of my time since I know I could be soloing white or yellows. I have to admit that just because a mob cons the same, doesn't mean they will be just as easy to fight....each mob has it's own fighting style which may or may not be a good matchup for the necromancer. Right now at lvl 24 I have been soloing no-arrow white con and yellow cons (some lvl 26) with no problem....little downtime....little aggro...and I was able to do it with my lvl 22 adept1 Recruit before I got my adept3 Adherant. I feel it's a case of finding the right mobs to solo.

As for groups, I still haven't decided about the important of a necro yet. I'm not a number cruncher, but with all the dots, plus pet I think the DPS is pretty good. But I'm not sure group members see that.
  16. ARCHIVED-djtool1974 Guest

don't forget that seism stacks with BE. Static pulse may be grey but it still does dmg and the amount of power it's taking is small.

when a mob aggro's on you start a HO chain and see if you can get the star icon up...that way when you cast petrify to freeze it and let the pet take aggro you can do some extra dmg.

not for everyone but some if not all races can take a racial trait that decreases hate. The recast timer is murder but when its up it helps.

don't forget to agitate.

stay away from trying to solo more then one mob...sometimes even greens.
  17. ARCHIVED-Jakanden Guest

Ive got to ask - what the hell does "ZOMG" mean?
  18. ARCHIVED-Viromage Guest

I think *ZOMG* is the insert for bad lang.
  19. ARCHIVED-Jakanden Guest

Ah - that would make sense heh
  20. ARCHIVED-Rhugan Guest

I assume you are checking the BlackMarket for these spells also. I was pulling my hair out because I could not find any of the adepts for 15+ spells and on a whim I found and checked out the BM. I was amazed at what was available in Qeynos. I have all my adept 1's and 2 Adept 3 pets because of it.