Slow XP rate server

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by MrSteelrose, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Keldo Member

It's great to see "If you don't like it, get out" posts. They aren't adversarial at all.

The issue here isn't "do you personally like fast or slow experience?" Someone's personal preference has nothing to do with it. The issue is that the FAQ said the following:

Will experience values be tuned for Kaladim?
    Experience values will be slower, similar to how it was at original launch. Tradeskill experience will be the same.
    So the pitch was "this'll be a slower experience server." They stated that. That is a direct quotation cut and pasted from the FAQ about the server.

Then within several hours of the server going live, there were level 50s. There were multiple groups of level 50s. There were many Summoners in the 30s within just a few hours of the server going live. Sure, they used every potion and marketplace item imaginable, but EVEN WITH those XP augments, we shouldn't have had level 50s running around on the first day or even the first few days. Even on Stormhold where vitality potions were mistakenly giving people the same experience bonus as vitality did on a live server, we didn't see 50s for several days.

So for them to say "experience will be closer to original release", then to deliver something that not only isn't close to original release, but is actually by far the farthest-away-from original release that we've gotten so far on a TLE server so far... Again, it has nothing to do with a person's preference on experience gains; I for one am fairly ambivalent on the issue. But I can understand and empathize with why many people are unhappy with what they've gotten. It seems like a mistake and decidedly not what the FAQ said would be delivered.

To make an analogy, if I purchase something in a restaurant, and the waiter/waitress brings me something that is quite different than what I ordered, regardless of whether I like the wrong item or not, a mistake was made. When this happens, I usually just eat whatever I'm given. And I'll continue to play on Kaladim server. But it's undeniable that a mistake was made.
    tbmroark, Nightroado and Bekkr like this.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

If this happens, it's...surprise! because 90%+ of the people on the server want to get to 50 in a month. They could shut off their XP and grind endlessly in a corner, treading water for months to make you happy, but they won't because you don't run their lives. :)

Feel free to make your own endless grind by locking adventure and quest XP, which incidentally also locks discovery XP as well.

Where's a good "beating a dead horse" .gif when you need one?
    Soara2 and Pestilus like this.
  3. Roadkillusa Active Member

The point is people still can use xp bar to disable xp. If majority of the server chooses not to do so then they are happy and content with leveling faster. When you start limiting xp gain for those who like fast xp you are only going to get these people to quit the server. This ruins the population of the server more so than fast leveling. Where as the people who like to level slow have the option to do so also.
    Soara2 and Siren like this.
  4. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Its not a get out post, its an option for those who are not aware of the xp rate on FG being slower so I wouldn't call it adversarial, but you can if it makes you feel justified in a pointless argument.

I am very pleased with the xp rate they have, I think its great that there are folks out there that know enough about the game to get where they want to be at a rate they wanted.
    Breanna and Siren like this.
  5. OldRodKS Member

No matter how fast or slow they make the experience curve, there will always be people who race to the top, whether it takes a few hours or a few days. Just so they can say they were the first! Or to get all the discovery credits that they can, whatever.
    The vast majority of players don't play that way, so why reduce the xp for them after the power-gamers are already max level?
    Soara2, Siren and Pixistik like this.
  6. Elskidorr Active Member

And too slow would be a non-starter for me. Keep that Fallen Gate xp far away. They launched four special servers across two games and I plan to play a couple of them, with decent xp that is made possible, but with horrible xp there's just not enough time for juggling, and say goodbye to alts unless you have a ton of time in your hands.
    Soara2, Siren and Pixistik like this.
  7. Zenji Well-Known Member

On Fallen Gate Vanilla, XP was much much slower. The speed levelers hit 50 in 5-6 days, "the majority" of the server by the end of the month.

So by drastically lowering the XP rates, you add maybe 2-3 weeks to the longevity of the first set of people through the server.

However, you greatly reduce the want/willingness for alts to be made and go through the content as well as discourage late arriving players to the server from leveling up and joining friends / guildies at max level.

Those that hit 50 in a day or so on Kaladim, did it because they enjoy the end game more than the leveling process. There is no right or wrong way to play, if you want to take 2-3 weeks to level, fine you can. If you want to race to 50 and start "end game" you can.

Adjusting the XP rates doesn't change that, the fast will still go fast and the slow will still go slow. All lowering the XP rate does is MAYBE add 2-3 weeks to the server, but at a risk of having less alts and less appealing to late arrivers.
    Blazen, Siren and Pixistik like this.
  8. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

You can finish all the content in every expansion within 20-25 hours of play time outside of raiding.
    T5: Buy xp pots, grind heroics/dredge through quests (why). Longest part is leveling, but you see all the content doing that, then you solo heroics for +1 stat increases for 12-16 hours then decide it's pointless to log in until DoF then....
    T6: Run all heroics in under 3-4 hours, suffer through ring of fate/peacock if you're a raider, if not, no point.
    KoS: Do claymore, then ????
    EoF: Raid, run every heroic in 2-3 hours, complain about unrest/shard of fear at half way point, go play apex.
    RoK: Farm tokens for daily shield/charm then log out.
    TSO: Run every instance day one in 5-6hours, farm tokens for neck while wanting to throw computer out window at guk 3. Log out, play next battle royale since apex.
    SF: Run heroics, get best in slot gear because itemization bot sucks, go 1 group some easy mode raids for ??? reasons, unless bored.
    DoV: New tle will have launched and their killing the one you're on.
    Source: I did that.
    Reposting because came true, again.
    Ap0k likes this.
  9. Medicinal Active Member

The fast exp is fine. Zenji is right, it doesn't change the curve of people through the levels just how fast that curve moves, and only slightly delays the inevitable. Only real difference between a fast exp server and a slow one is that late comers can actually progress on a fast exp server when they can't find a group. Not so on the slow exp servers. This is better for the longevity of the server.

That being said, if you are flying through the levels it's because you wanted to. I have been running through things pretty casually and felt the time in each area was pretty good. I'm only in my low 20's, both crafting and adventure. With fast exp it is possible to go slower and be fine, even if groups are a little harder to come by eventually. With slow exp, it's just slow, and those casual folks who can't keep up will just stop playing.
    Siren likes this.
  10. Nightroado New Member

Shouldn't the exp rate reflect the time between expansions? Isn't making exp faster than FG and giving -more- time between expansions just adjusting things in the wrong direction of the two variables?
  11. Nightroado New Member

I've read the entire thread and it makes me think of chocolate. The people who want faster experience enjoy milk chocolate. It's the most readily available and sweet. Fast and easy to get. Those who enjoy the slow grind enjoy the bitter chocolate. Slightly harder to get a hold of, but they enjoy that bitter-sweetness.

Those who enjoy faster exp have gotten what they wanted and that's good for them. But why shouldn't the slow grinders get a server of their own? According to the posts in this very thread, most people like it as is. So would it be so bad if the 10% of people left for a server they enjoy more? You still get 90% of TLE players and 100% of us would be happy.

I really disagree to the "disable exp bar" posts. It's so short-sighted that they aren't even taking the time to consider the other side of things. Some people simply want the journey to be as enjoyable as the destination. There's nothing wrong with that. Just as there is nothing wrong with you wanting faster exp than FG had.

This happened years ago when the zone was new, but one time I ran Najena's Hollow Tower in a group of four scouts. No tank, no healer. It was brutal. We died a -lot- and didn't even finish the zone, but I had so much fun overcoming the adversary that I remember that run. I don't remember the countless runs where we swept through the zone with no trouble. Same reason some items are rare. Truth is all items could be mass produced for easy access, but the better items are rare so they have value. If you could get the best gear just as easily as the weakest, you wouldn't feel anything for having that gear. I hope the feeling of what I am trying to convey is coming across.

I like to do 100% of quests, get titles, etc. It's more fun to do those things when they aren't grayed out, so my opinion is biased. I was thinking maybe someone should start a guild for the slow grinders if no such server ever happens. We could work at our own pace with like-minded individuals and leave those that want to rush to end-game content to their own means.
  12. docsam Member

best idea ever to be honest
    give this people their own server
    though i feel this same people will tear that server apart
    look there is already a thread on raid encounters been too simple
    but yes please give us casuals that want to smell the roses and explore this server and the rest can go to another server with slow experience and then the drama can move off kaladim
  13. Surgeon Active Member

I don't know if people are aware that a big part of EQ2 is playing alts, leveling alts, meeting new or same people on alts.
    Alts.
    Allllttsss.
    Play alts when 50.
    It's fun. It adds variety.
    Fallen Gate had absurdly low experience gains. You had to do all quests from all starter zones to hit 10. And you ground 8 hours for 2 levels. This is not fun.
    Kaladim is fun.

And Keldo,
    play on live and see how exp rate is there.
    Fallen Gate experience rate was probably 1/2 of launch experience or even 1/3.
    This experience rate on Kaladim feels normal.
    Try to have fun an enjoy the ride, if it's too fast for you, like others have said it countless times, turn off quest or combat exp for a while.
    And like who ever wrote in this thread, you can do all quests of a zone before outleveling it.
    So I don't know why you're complaining.

I want to play on Kaladim even though I was really pissed they introduced it when they did.
    I want to create alts and level them in pick up groups.
    I don't want to craft, but at least rush orders are in.

Exp rate is fine.
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  14. Malachy Well-Known Member

People hit 50 in a couple of days at original launch without potions or any clue how to be most efficient with their time.

The XP rate is fine.
    Roadkillusa and Pixistik like this.
  15. tbmroark Member

If I was Daybreak (IF), I would try to find a balance. People need to feel free to level alts, but a slower leveling curve is beneficial for many players (yes, there is a divide between those who want it and those who don't). The ship has sailed for Kaladim, but if I was going to create a new server, it'd be one that advertised a (truly) slow exp rate like early FG, and upon maxing a character to level 50, I'd give an option for alts to enable an exp boost to bring it to similar rates as Kaladim is (so if you just want to level an alt, you're not punished, but if you're a true masochist you could level at the original curve if you desired to).

But as I said, it's too late to do any big changes to Kaladim in regards to exp rates for Shattered Lands. I think the bigger issue at the moment is how painfully easy the content is. I haven't found a real challenge yet and that's worrying me for what end game/raids are going to be like. I'm afraid it's too easy, and I'm afraid that will cause a burnt out server rather quickly.
  16. Surgeon Active Member

Crafting could use a bit of an exp rate increase though. 4-5 rush orders / level in 20-29 is yaawningly boring
  17. Roadkillusa Active Member

How does disabling quest and combat xp stop anyone from experiencing the content? Those complaining about fast xp and out leveling areas too fast have a tool to stop it. To me it seems they just want everyone to have to play the game on their terms.
    Soara2, Pixistik and Dude like this.
  18. MrSteelrose New Member

its sad that you can't keep to the topic i wrote about. Its about another alternative server for us who likes the slower EXP. Its not about changing Kaladim
  19. Grayven Member

I've just been soloing, and on a Defiler (which means I am definitely taking my time in levelling), but I think the XP rate is pretty balanced. It's not as slow as FG was, but slow enough that getting to a new level feels like an accomplishment. I understand there were some issues with discovery XP and multiple XP potions, but those who are buying XP potions aren't the "enjoy the ride" folks we're talking about here.
    OldRodKS likes this.
  20. Roadkillusa Active Member

We don't need another server to take up DEV resources when there already is a solution. You may not like the solution of disabling xp but it will solve the issue with fast leveling. It would be a better idea to see if the DEVs could allow for a percentage of xp you choose to be lowered. Kind of like mentoring but without the stat boost.
    Soara2 likes this.