Server Outage Update?

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by MikeBob2023, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Evilary Well-Known Member

And this is why Dev's avoid posting. I'm sure that it was not intended to be condescending but now that you've said it was, who knows she might get in trouble from the higher ups. She is not in charge of communicating with the community. That she did was a nice gesture.
    GrunEQ, Jinksie, Twyla and 5 others like this.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

Who is in charge, where is the CM? I only see developers doing multiple jobs
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Interesting in that I didn't find her communication condescending in the least. She reached out and said she understood the frustration we were experiencing but there's nothing specific to communicate. Yours however, was condescending in both words and tone. I specifically point you to your 3rd paragraph where you restate, yet again, you found it condescending and even go on to suggest she was talking like a parent to a child and that you are well past the time when you were once a child. I would encourage YOU to heed your own advice and rethink how you communicate.
    GrunEQ, Tkia, Jinksie and 9 others like this.
  4. Life Member

Is this some type of white knighting or what is the point of missing the very obvious point of my post in the first place? Your idea of some type of time to station cash value misses the point of what compensation is for. Most people do not have access to a video game 24 hours a day every day of the week. Some people have jobs, family, etc, and when a game is built around things like dailies where rewards are only available for limited time, and then you take those opportunities away, you're taking away a lot more than just some idea of cash. This is why I don't like the term "compensation", it's just industry standard.

I don't see why you'd want to intentionally hold this game or community back from modern MMO standards. Having something small that acknowledges the downtime and that, setting aside frustration, you do actually miss things that are no longer available because they are time restricted. It's a way of showing they value the playerbase (and their money!).
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

It isn't like it is their fault and they purposely shut the servers down just to annoy everyone. It would be ideal if the servers went down and appropriate times for everyone but unfortunately that is not how things happen. And the thing is for the servers to be down at a specific time for you may not work for someone else. Everyone has different hours that they play. They are not intentionally doing anything.
    Twyla, Angeliana and tasnee like this.
  6. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

GrunEQ, Bhayar, Jinksie and 3 others like this.
  7. DENSER Well-Known Member

You can't send automatic messages when such situations arise? (Serious question from a guy who knows nothing about it).
    This can avoid counter discussions every time ;)
    As soon as you stop a server or 2 or all, boom, a message pops up on the forum or other social network
  8. draidean Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the pattern does seem to be let the devs (and, to a lesser extent, CM) take all the heat even when whatever the problem is has nothing to do with them.
    Twyla likes this.
  9. DENSER Well-Known Member

Afterwards you have to expect it and arm yourself when you work in this environment.
    We are poor addicted buggers, who, as soon as their dose is gone, show their teeth.
    This also applies to other jobs. Mistress not there, parents screaming about having to take care of their kids. On the other hand, to say thank you is often more complicated ;)
  10. Life Member

Fault or intent really has nothing to do with it. You can show you care about something or someone without being at fault for whatever is causing the grievance.
    Zenji and MikeBob2023 like this.
  11. draidean Well-Known Member

Right?? Didn't sound condescending to me.
    Jinksie and Twyla like this.
  12. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

I will willingly take the brunt of all criticism and anger, it's all part of the job.

That being said, if someone from the game team chooses to communicate, it is appreciated of course, but they should not expected to be public relation gurus in doing so.

Denser, To answer your question about automating, it is not likely as these are old forums and I have not heard of an API for any social media which would allow such a thing either.
    Idril, Chath, Jinksie and 2 others like this.
  13. DENSER Well-Known Member

Too bad, that will remove a big thorn in your side .

Fortunately you have armor with more than enough resolve to counter our attacks! ;)
    Keep the good work Angeliana/denmum.
    Twyla likes this.
  14. Strings Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone is REALLY sorry for being cranky. We love and appreciate you and the other devs. You guys are always good at making things up to us by, say, an extra day of NOTD (hint hint). Please don't take any undue criticism to heart.
    Twyla and Reeori like this.
  15. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

We all understand about not being able to log into a game we love. With all of us being gamers, we can totally relate and understand the frustration!

I'm just saying, if anyone feels the need to vent...please do so at ME and not the devs or designers.

Strings, Constructive criticism is always welcome, it's what helps us grow as human beings. :)

I agree Denser, it would be a HUGE help, maybe someday. ;)
    Idril, Jinksie, Twyla and 3 others like this.
  16. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Just hanging out in beta - answering questions LOL
    Strings likes this.
  17. Evilary Well-Known Member

No, this is a pointing out that people jump in wanting compensation for mistakes. I put a real world cost behind to show how little it is costing the player. What I cannot show is how much it is costing the company already and before they get the problem fixed hands are outstretched wanting more from them.

If they decide to do something to make up the time lost to the players, that is great. Expecting it is like expecting a tip, it loses it's value as a gesture and become a charge.

And what MMO standards? Do we have a list somewhere that lists what a MMO is expected to give us for each downtime? Just because a company gave something free once, doesn't make it a standard.

The Dev's have worked hard to keep this game afloat and going when other games have shut down for less than EQ2 has had happen to them. I think they deserve a break every now and then. If that means I'm white knighting, let me put on the white hat.:cool:
    SolarFaire, Breanna, Chikkin and 2 others like this.
  18. Twyla Well-Known Member

WOW...Denmum was trying to use humor to lighten everyone's mood (imho), I have never known her to be condescending only informative with a touch of laughter if possible.
    Raito, Breanna and Jinksie like this.
  19. Celestia Well-Known Member

I hate to play devils advocate here but I don’t think Deadfast was trying to be rude or condescending to Denmum, just like I am positive she wasn’t being condescending to him. Sometimes things get lost in translation online, i have made posts that are a prime example of that. I’ve thought people were trying to be rude before and they told me otherwise. And the other way around too. To one person it may come off a way that others don’t see. It’s not really anyone’s fault , it’s just how talking through a forum is sometimes. Things come off one way or another and it’s just hard for people to tell because it’s text.
    SolarFaire, Twyla and MikeBob2023 like this.
  20. Jinksie Well-Known Member

I did not read anything condescending in her reply, to be honest. Not sure where the heck that came from. *shrug*
    Twyla likes this.