RoR TS does NOT unlock flight.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Cusashorn, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Heresford Active Member

Well, perhaps the college kids should be budgeting n their time better, but that's not always the case. I knew plenty of peers who didn't put in a fraction of the study time they should have. ;)

Regardless, I was fairly determined, but I still had more free time than I do now in my professional life. Let us not forget the teenagers, though. There is someone out there with the time to zoom through an entire expansion in a week.

I'm kind of interested in your play style, though. I listen to political commentary while I'm gaming, so it's always a bit of multi-tasking. Still, I'm going through these zones with a 125 adventurer who could easily mow down the mobs and get through these zones without flying. I've had harvestable tracking forever, and make sure I have it on every toon and on the same position on the same hotbar. There's nothing I couldn't kill with Tishan's Toolbox gear on myself and my mercenary, a leveled mount, and the latest Panda adornments. In fact, the kills were simply a quick, though annoying, distraction. I'm guessing you are not in this scenario. It sounds like you are only adventure leveling as high as you have to in order to do the tradeskilling quests?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yeah; back when I had a regular gaming group (siiggghhhh...) and I was the main tank, things were different, but I've been true soloing for so long now (and busy with rampant character creation; ask me about my over 10 dozen toons [literally! Santa Glug is fuuun this year...]! :D) that I probably don't have every last thing I'd need to wipe up the field here and there, unless I can mentor down a bit, which is generally what I do (so, no, unless I get my level 100-110-120 gear out of freebie boxes, I'm probably the equivalent of running around naked out there, especially at the highest levels that I can't mentor down to). ;->

Also, I've found the main thing that still attracts me to the game is, oddly enough, since I hadn't much use for it back in the old days, the decorating! I still won't "waste" rares on mere house items, but it's become my main focus these days, and my most pampered toons (as far as Level Boost Tokens go) are my main Carpenter characters on each of my 6 servers (4 US, Thurgadin, and Public Test). I was mainly kicking them up through various means so they could be able to harvest what they (and others) would need for mats, but then Planes of Prophecy came along... X-P

The horror stories I've heard about that convinced me to save up my shekels and get the expac Collector's Editions once they went on sale (well, that's usually been my modus operandi, ever since Kunark Ascending led the way; not only is it affordable then, but hopefully the bugs have mostly been squashed by that point, and I don't usually give a monkey's about the "Pre-Order Goodies! :D" these days), as well as save my monthly DBC to get Booster Tokens for everyone of my Carpies who didn't get the boost(s) from the CE Tokens. Basically, I've got 5 Carpies now on the regular servers (non-Test; it's easier than falling off a log to Boost folks on Test ;->) who are at least level 110 or higher, purely to avoid the hell that is PoP. X-P

So, yeah, these days I pretty much just focus on tradeskilling in general and carpentry in particular, with the occasional foray into even more character creation when a concept flits across my brain cells. I strive to have at least one of each race in each class, with equal numbers of crafters in each specialty and genders and more Goods than Evils; currently I'm looking at 2:1 ratios in that regard. Spreadsheets are my friends. ;->

I figure I can stop at 144; "One Gross, if I may use the expression." --Bilbo Baggins

But really, I can stop at any time...honest...really, I can... :D :confused:

Uwk
    Almee likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That's not true at all. You do not have to gather your resources in a specific zone, just a RoR zone. I went back to Plateaus to do my harvesting, because I knew where the nodes were and I could get to everything I needed with nothing more than a little scrambling and parkour. Wearing the Cloak of the Harvester, you can extend how much you can reach at higher elevations as well.
    Bhayar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Almee Well-Known Member

It sounds like you play the same way I do. I have only one or two other people in most of the guilds I'm in so grouping has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs. It's a shame, as I used to enjoy grouping, but almost all my guild mates play at times I don't play and we are on far different adventure tracks anyway. That's why I hate it when we need to ask for help from others to complete a required quest such as the entry quest for BoL. I had to ask in General chat for help over 60 times and that gets old fast.

So I also spend most of my time crafting, harvesting, and decorating. I hope to go back, in 2023, and do some adventuring in BoL and maybe even step outside the entry hall in RoS to see what's out there. And once my mercs and mounts are leveled up I'll tackle RoR. In between, I hope to get some decorating done next year. Having nothing to do in the game will not be an issue for me next year lol.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Okay, shows how much I know about it via rumors/grumbles, without actually having the expac. Currently, I sit corrected! :)

That's actually quite encouraging, come to think; thanks. :)

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I hear ya! :)

And when I need mats and recipes and what-not I might not be able to get any other way (this is what I get for being the only ones [or close to it; thanks, Q! :D], on two servers in two guilds...), I'll strongly consider catching up on all the older, once "high-level" zones I'll need on a more regular basis. :)

Mostly for the mats and recipes... ;->

Uwk
    who even now needs to work on his Armoring, apparently... :)
    Almee likes this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting the opposite. Not sure how you would infer I would given the statements, but human communication, written and oral, has always been fraught with the peril of being misunderstood.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And considering how much of human communication is like 95% non-verbal, from what I've heard (body language, facial expressions, pheromones?, etc.), that probably also goes for writing... :-/

Uwk
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Much more so these days, as a lot of communication is via forums, texts, etc. where you can not see the person, so the non verbal signals are completely missing. Reading comprehension can be an issue when people skim through non verbal communications. Lack of grammar (punctuation, etc.) can also exacerbate the problem. I'm reminded of Strother Martin's famous line in "Cool Hand Luke," haha.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep. I still remember the SNL skit they did, where Luke was going to a French language camp for kids, back when darned near the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players were all still there: "What we have here is a failure to communicate bilingually." ;->

Uwk
    Bhayar likes this.
  11. AOE1 Well-Known Member

The RoR tradeskill sig line is probably the fastest I can remember doing. Even the toons having to dodge mobs because of their adventure level, it was fast. Took longer waiting on easy to reach nodes to respawn than doing the series and that wasn't long at all. But after 18+ years, it is possible there was a faster one to do, I just cannot remember.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Bhayar like this.
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I concur. I can't recall one that went faster than this xpac. I'm sure Denmum will have a more elaborate one for next xpac now that she's in charge of the TS side of things. A win-win all the way around.
  13. Heresford Active Member

You were replying to this comment from Dude:

The context here seemed to be that the crafting signature line should be longer, so when you said the following:

It wasn't clear which point you were saying was obviated. Was it the point of the beta testing itself, or the point you made in your first sentence about the purpose of beta testing being to provide feedback from players? Without knowing which of the two you were referring to, I couldn't make out whether you were criticizing them for making a last-minute change or agreeing with them for doing it. It appeared to be the former, but that didn't seem to make much sense when you suggested that they make a major change at the last minute (assuming that major change was Dude's suggestion of a longer crafting signature line.)

I would still avoid making changes to a stable build a week out from launch. A minor change I would accept grudgingly if it solves an obvious problem. I would regard a content change as something major that would put a release date in jeopardy.
  14. Heresford Active Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. My first reaction is that your situation is probably an outlier that the developers don't design for, but I know you aren't the only one out there with multiple accounts. I only have a single account, and I thought I was a bit of an altaholic, trying to keep all of my toons leveled up and geared, but apparently I'm a bit player at best.

What I do won't match you play style; it is likely much more casual. Unless I need to level my crafters with an expansion, I don't bother even taking them out for the tradeskill timeline and harvesting. I do all of that on my main, and distribute out what I need to my alts. When I've pretty much exhausted the expansion's content on my main, then I'll go through the timelines with some of my alts if I feel like it. One of the more pleasant aspects of this is I can bring an alt out on an old timeline long after I got bored with it originally and enjoy it again as if it were almost new. I've been taking a few of them through Reign of Shadows just in the past couple of months with full Visions of Vetrovia gear. I have one Carpenter/Beastlord I've held way back because I want to go through all of the Rise of Kunark content again.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! Yeah, it's one of the reasons I character create so much; "everything old is new again." :) But I only have one Gold account as well, though I'm on six different servers there (all 4 Live US, Thurgadin, and Public Test). My toons are mostly born from character slots bought when there were things like Double and Triple Station Cash events, then the SC held onto until the 'slots went on sale. ;->

I do have Bronze and Silver accounts, but they're mostly for helping folks create guilds and getting a new toon of mine into an old favorite guild if no one else is around to do the /invite for me at 3 am. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Actually, in the first statement, I was replying to you. It was your quote and so clearly states that in the "reply." The rest of it is fairly easy to follow if your reading comprehension is solid. The entire point of this change was that it happened late and frankly, doesn't trivialize the sig line. The last several xpacs going back to BoL had the same mechanic. I'm not sure what's worse--the fact that it was changed at the last moment or the fact the same mechanic had appeared in the last two xpacs and took this long to address. Either way, at this point, it's a dead issue.
  17. Heresford Active Member

I think there's a little bit of TLDR in your response. I think if you go back and re-read the statements and quotes from the "Heresford, Wednesday at 12:30 PM" post you'll better understand what I was referring to when I said "first sentence." It wasn't the quote at the top of the statement. As far as the rest, I can see that the obvious contradiction was fully intended, as unbelievable as that seemed to be.
  18. Roadkillusa Active Member

by making characters re-earn something they already had earned before.
  19. Tkia Well-Known Member

Repeatedly.
    MikeBob2023, Twyla, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  20. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm