Returning Player; a Few Questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Marden, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Marden New Member

I missed Norrath dearly but no longer have the time to invest in EQ1, so I decided to return to EQ2 after many, many years. I bought the expansion and used the 120 boost on a necro to get back in the swing of things with a low-responsibility character.

So here's question1: I've been fighting the savage shoal manglers as part of the opening quests in VoV, and its taking me a long, long time to take just one down, even with the 10-year SK mercenary. With a soulburn thrown in, it was still over a minute and a half for one mob. Without it, I was nearing 4 minutes to take down a croc.
    Is this normal? I obviously have no point of reference, but this seems somewhat painful if so.

Question 2: Is there anything critical I should go back and do before the VoV content?

Thanks in advance!
    Toven, Carynn and Riverbear like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Review the VoV Gear Guide. Be sure to read down the thread, as there is more helpful info after the original post. That might help you some.
    Toven and Twyla like this.
  3. Sleppen Active Member

Did you get the free gear out of the chest on the first island? I suspect that the 120 boost gave you gear from the last expansion, not the current expansion.

Also, the veteran reward mercs are poor. I think most people go for a healer merc anyway, because the DPS mercs got nerfed about a year ago. Depending on how much plat you have, you can probably buy Kalael (sp?) from the Broker (and then find her in Echo Caverns), or you can go find Perrin Wanderhoof in the Withered Lands. Kalael may cost more than you have right now, but Perrin is free once you find him. Perrin is a little weak after about level 110, but he's still a lot better than the vet reward SK. Sig and the other folks with the Wiki have provided all sorts of information on how to do this.

And, of course, you can do all of the more elaborate stuff that Sig linked above. If you're just looking to get started again, though, get the gear in the chest and get a decent healer merc. There is time for the other stuff later.
    Twyla likes this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's not elaborate. It basically boils down to getting loot from Tishan's Lockbox and doing the Panda Quests. I have additional info, but those two things are the basis.

I came into VoV in raid gear, and still updated stuff from Tishan's Lockbox. Then upgraded that stuff from the sig line and solo instances, etc.
    Twyla likes this.
  5. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

The stuff round the Svarni zone-in is basically a DPS check. Like a red flag, or a notice that says: "go find the box of starter gear right now!". And get a set of whatever it'll give you for your merc as well (assuming it's slots are unlocked), because it'll be having exactly the same problem.

And I can't recommend Sigfrida's VoV Gear Guide enough -- this is an enornous help, especially when it comes to sorting out adorns! Thanks Sig!
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Riverbear Active Member

Meet resolve requirements leveled by the Dev.s ( Below resolve is rewarded by doing less of what you do AND enduring more of what the MoBs do. An Arbitrary Mark set by devs to exclude use of gear from previous expansions,)
    -Resolve edicts only need to be met. Surplus resolve serves no purpose, yet.
    Meet Potency requirements leveled by Dev.s ( Potency is redundant LVL vs LVL contest which determines the level of performance of your abilities. (Not enough potency = degraded out put)
    -Potency always is the more the better, atm.

Sadly, both of the above axioms of EQ2 are entirely unnecessary, and serve only to penalize players for not pathing their character development the way Developers mandate, yet that be the lay of the land.

Meet Resove mandates.
    Exceed Potency mandates.
    Additionately, get all the Fervor you possibly can. - Good hunting & welcome back.
    Kanderpustules likes this.
  7. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Decided to finally adventure into Vetrovia. Already claimed all the stuff from Tishan's chest, but when I went to swap out adorns as advised by the guide, they would not work with the Abysmal Sea Plate armor set. Is that a bug or am I misunderstanding the guide?
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I equipped them on my paladin and shadowknight just fine...
  9. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Onto the armor from Tishan's crate?
    I first tried it on my templar. Then I tried my wizard. After removing the adorns from the chest, attempts to add Hua Tol'Ren adorns gets an error message saying they don't work with that.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Make sure it's the Hua Jubilee runes.
  11. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

My eyes are really bad. I think I was trying to put one of them into the gloves instead of forearms.
    Appreciate the help.
    Breanna and Toven like this.
  12. Marden New Member

Thank you all for the responses; I have been reading them, if not responding since the original post.

For others that may be experiencing the same issues I was, my confusion was with the 120 booster gear. When I first inspected the gear in the chest, it seemed to be the exact same stats, so I didn't loot it (I didn't even know what an adornment was, so I had no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the booster gear). The adornments on the chest gear made all the difference.

Also, I was a bit overwhelmed by the Panda Quests when I first read about them. Another tip for those returning: they really are simple - just visiting zones for exploration and/or collecting stuff. I have 2 more years worth to do left, but its been fun.

I will also say this: I forgot how rich and gorgeous this game really is. I missed Norrath. I'm just stuck on that dang Pterodactyl instance mob with the nest and adds now lol.
    Toven, Twyla, Hartsmith and 1 other person like this.