Refining: post nerf

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Meirril, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

The rates BEFORE the change were:

REFINING
    Common mats refining :
    – 97,5% chances of failure : Low Quality Ulteran Slag
    – 2% chances of “success” : High Quality Ulteran Slag
    – 0,5% chances of critical success : 1 purified rare
    Rare mats refining :
    – 2% chances of critical failure : Low Quality Ulteran Slag
    – 48% chances failure : High Quality Ulteran Slag
    – 48% chances of success : 1 purified rare
    – 2% chances of critical success :2 purified rare
    note: you currently get 50/50 chances at loam/ore when refining T2-T8 ore

The common stats are now wrong, but I don't think that the rare mats were changed.
    Emms, Guiscard and Elostirion like this.
  2. SideshowBob Active Member

Holy cow! How are you managing to refine so much so quickly? It would take my roomie a couple of days to do that many. Any tips you can give her to speed this testing up?
    Guiscard likes this.
  3. SideshowBob Active Member

Just curious: why did you feel the need to post that? Are you intentionally trying to insult and alienate everyone else that plays this game or reads/posts on these forums?

There are many, many very smart people that play this game. Just because they are not as active on the forums as the two you mentioned doesn't automatically make their feedback any less important to the community as a whole.
    Emms, BettyBoop and Elostirion like this.
  4. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Put refining on the hotbar.
    Map left-click to that hotbar button. Do not unmap it from it's normal functions.
    Move bag containing raws right under where the "Are you sure you want to refine" box pops up.
    Move cursor over bag slot.
    Idly spam left click. Mouse move only required every 200 items. You can get 3 lined up under the confirm button. So you only have to move bags/items every 600. (800 if you're really fussy). Zone/evac periodically to flush the reward queue.
    Emms, Guiscard and Elostirion like this.
  5. SideshowBob Active Member

Thanks for the info! Hopefully that will speed things up!
  6. SideshowBob Active Member

Meirril, I don't know if you're still tracking these or not.

Today's most recent update:
    8,800 rhenium ore
    8,649 low quality slag
    158 high quality slag
    4 purified tungsten ore

common to rare conversion rate this run = 0.046%

We'll work on another stack if you're still interested.
  7. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Holy Cow Batman ! I swear I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome in my index finger from the 4 thousand clicks its taken per thousand ores etc it's taken me since deciding to try my hand at refining ...Now I'd not expect to find rares dropping from the mats like raindrops from the sky but at this rate I am going to have to wear a supportive bandage on said digit if I ever just want to pick my nose instead of refining .. which of course would prolly have about as much chance of returning a rare as said refining seems to have atm :p
    My complaint is not so much lack of rares but rather that it would have been much simpler to click refine, click on mats and result goes nicely into bags ...thus sparing me more time so I could go out and harvest endless supplies of ore etc to continue to refine in future .Of course a slightly larger success rate on rares per thousand refine attempts would also not go amiss either .
    Guiscard likes this.
  8. Cisteros Active Member

200 Pelts - 200 LQS
    200 Amethyst - 198 LQS, 2 HQS
    200 Iridium - 197 LQS, 3 HQS
    200 Rhenium - 193 LQS, 7 HQS
    200 Roots - 197 LQS, 3 HQS
    200 Wood - 194 LQS, 6 HQS
    10 Banyan Root - 5 Purified, 5 HQS
  9. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The last time someone quoted info posted by Niami on "that third-party website", you quickly jumped on the idea that it was inaccurate.

I'm glad to see you've changed your opinion somewhat :p
  10. Guiscard Active Member

Have you seen the code? If you haven't seen the code you can't say that this is the way the RNG works.
    Emms likes this.
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

More inputs are appreciated but there isn't any need to keep generating inputs if you don't feel like it. The whole effort here was to collect as much data from different people as possible to spare one person from doing the majority of the work. I certainly don't want someone to damage their wrists in the name of narrowing down the percentage of something than can be changed in the near (or distant) future.
  12. SideshowBob Active Member

My post you quoted had nothing to do with accuracy or inaccuracy. My entire point, which you clearly seem to have completely missed, is that I don't automatically 100% trust anything on third-party sites because of the fluid nature of software companies and their constantly changing product. Their information may be entirely accurate as of the time it was received by them. However, that may no longer be the case by the time it is posted, or even a day after that, much less whenever a casual gamer happens to stumble upon it. But you are more than welcome to continue to blindly trust anything you read on the internet as god's own word. Oh, and by the way I'm a French fashion model... :rolleyes:

My point when asking that other person WHY they felt the need to post their comment that contributed nothing to the discussion, is because it only served to insult and alienate everyone else in the community and denigrate everyone else's opinions.

Any other questions?
    Emms and Guiscard like this.
  13. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Couture or Prêt-à-Porter?

:p
    Deveryn likes this.
  14. SideshowBob Active Member

Ready to wear! Although I find it deeply disturbing that you knew the difference between the two... ;)
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It didn't surprise me at all :p
  16. Davngr Well-Known Member

the RNG seed(usually the clock/time. norath/irl? not clue) is server side and has nothing to do with account or character.

there is no difference between clicking on a bush or clicking on a stack of common harvest in your bags. they shouldn't have nerfed the rate but whatever it's just not worth even devoting the time now. they might as well have removed the rare completely.

edit.

one cool thing they could do is let the "rare harvest chance" stat modify the refining chance tho.
    Guiscard likes this.
  17. gargamelscat Active Member

Today: 7 osmium --> 2 purified osmium, 4 hq slag, 1 lq slag
    gave up after about 200 regular refines even before the nerf, i have zones to do, or i'll harvest for rares

Suggestion: since rares are very likely to be lost now, how about making the slag worth 1p for lq, 5p for hq? At least that way i can get half my money back.

Edit: Oh wait sorry, it's against the law here to discuss rare destruction in this thread mea culpa. I'll throw myself on a pyre and scourge myself soundly. I'm sure it will be very productive.
    Emms and Guiscard like this.
  18. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Umm.. Err... You may have overlooked the fact that you can refine common raws into lq slag. Common Raw (2c) -> Refine -> 1p, would be one heck of a plat source... (about 20,000 plat / day if you were so inclined)
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah... I could see maybe bumping the LQ-Slag to be worth 5s each but certainly not 1g+ anyone with a decent idea of how to use a key-recorder program (which are frowned upon) could easily chunk 10,000's of raws a day for LQ-Slag.

Refining makes common harvestables sellable and at least some money for your worthless raws. Rares sadly will be lost during the refinement process, that is the risk you take. My personal rare and purified rare amounts go up as long as I moderate how fast I use them. You can't expect to go full-tilt to crafting rare mats just because you have a very low chance to get a rare from a common.

Note: Turning a low-quality common harvest into a high-quality rare harvest is about as common as turning Cubic Zirconium into raw Diamond. They look the same but they are not the same.
  20. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm done. Final results across 116,257 refines.

Rare Result: p~=00.059%. +/- 0.0096% (Lower Bound - 0.050%, Upper Bound - 0.070%, 80% Confidence, alpha=0.20) (*)
    HQ Slag: p~=1.85%, +/- 0.0510% (Lower Bound - 1.80%, Upper Bound - 1.90%, 80% Confidence, alpha=0.20)

Total Rares generated: 69 ~(1700:1)
    Total plat generated in LQ Slag: 1.4p
    Total plat generated in HQ Slag: 891p (This concerns me, I'm not sure plat should be so grindable)

No statistically relevant deviations by rare type. No statistically relevant deviations by account.

* Using a strict confidence of 99%, alpha 0.01, it comes out to:
    Rare Result: p~=00.059%. +/- 0.0189% (Lower Bound - 0.043%, Upper Bound - 0.080%, 99% Confidence, alpha=0.01)

As we're just poking a black box out of pure dorkiness, and not trying to put a man on the moon with these numbers, I'm content with the results from a statistical point of view. What *should* they be, is a different discussion. But I'm content that they've been narrowed down sufficiently to have a basic idea of what they currently are.

Edit: Fixed a cut'n'paste error, grabbed the wrong column for +/-, hopefully nobody noticed ;)