Recipe Window Revamp [ Give me your ideas! ]

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Terrogaunt, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Favorites on internet explorer. Have it work like that. Go see the recipes on the game Horizons: Empire of Istaria
  2. Tylia Well-Known Member

I don't want to have to go in and edit a txt file. I don't want to have to have graduate school knowledge of windows and spreadsheets and xml and vdl and any other file extension. (Ok, I'm exaggerating about the graduate school knowledge and yes, I'm asking for easy and simple and completely "do-able" in game.)

On my alchemist, I want to be able to show just potions and/or poisons without all the spells. On my jeweler I want to be able to show just jewelry without all the spells. Or just show spells without the other. I don't want to have to "know" what recipe book contains the items I want in order to set up a filter. There are too many recipe books to have to look through and I'm not that patient. ;)
    Calthine and Cloudrat like this.
  3. Guiscard Active Member

You know you can already separate Mastercrafted from common. All the advanced book contain nothing but mastercrafted.
  4. Wigg Member

I got a cool idea, you could fix the bugs in refining before starting a new project. You know, this thing called finishing projects correctly. I know it is new to SOE, but other companies have been doing it for some time now.
    Guiscard and Pijotre like this.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I got a cooler idea. Stay on topic. That's just going to get lost in this discussion anyway.
  6. Mysstie Well-Known Member

True. Guess I could create a filter called "Mastercrafted" that combines all the Advanced Books from all my toons (after I make separate ones from in the game and edit the filter file to combine them). I only want one "Mastercrafted" filter choice in the drop-down.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

That's a drag. You have to keep updating it every time a new tier comes around. You also have odd books like kunark and Sentinel's Fate books with mastercrafted items. It would be a lot better if there was just one filter that covered every toon with no need for editing.
  8. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I agree that's why I'd like to see a built-in Mastercrafted filter that worked for any toon, like the broker has. But until such a time it comes about, must make due with what is there.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

Actually imo we need more of those faction style recipes it gives more people stuff to do. Back to the window though, why not just make it sortable by expansion (I.E searching for SF items will give you a list of all recipes that were released during Sentinels Fate)
  10. Jrral Active Member

One of the big filters I'd like is a couple of additional "tiers" to segregate quest-related recipes and the Frostfell and Nights of the Dead and similar recipes from regular recipes. Even if it's just classifying recipe books by type and grouping them that way in the recipe book list. That's my biggest headache, especially with the new recipe books not following the "essentials" and "advanced" naming scheme. It's hard to find those few books buried in the mass of quest and special-event recipe books. And just try finding the RoK faction-armor books if you've forgotten what the exact names were, or the DoV or Drunder special armor books.
  11. Ghoti New Member

Just make it keep focus while crafting regardless of what other tasks (chatting, searching, etc) has been done.

So tired of having to click on the window because it loses focus.
    Pijotre likes this.
  12. Dragan Active Member

Just, Please do not lock the buttons in any particular order!

I learned crafting before the buttons where in the windows and I had to make my own Hotbar for Crafting. Ever since then I have my own way of arranging the buttons. ^_^.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

DoV/Drunder armor recipies are a nightmare to find unless you know the archtype name. Like Guardian gear is "Myrmidon"
  14. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

If you filter for the Far seas books and Ancient Armor of War that those are in and guardian you get Myrmidon armor quite easily:)
  15. gargamelscat Active Member

#1 Cool. I think the major issue I have is I can't search for "Draconic" and get all the skyshrine recipes. It's not part of the name, so I have to wade thru the tradeskill books list and shift-select that group to see all the SS recipes. Ditto the researched ones from RA or festivals. I'm lacking a keyword for each group of recipes, I'd like to see:

Yelnar
    Deshniak
    Researched
    Brewday
    Bristlebane
    Frostfell
    etc...

keywords and a list of them someplace easy to find like wikia or zam. Maybe this already exists and I just don't konw yet, lol.

Errr... am I asking for tags? I guess I am. Something could be tagged with earring and yelnar, or chest and frostfell.

#2 The OTHER thing I would ask is a clean up of some buggyness with displays of augmented items, sometimes after I finish Visionary, I want tot compare the original with the visionary to see how much of a diff it made - but if I examine the recipe, the visionary examine window reverts to the un-augmented one.

I mean examine the recipe, not examine the product of the recipe. I'm just hovering my mouse over the product to get the tooltip so I can compare.

#3: I don't get a tooltip while crafting even tho the item is showing up at the top of the window. Maybe that's preferred by some people, but i do find myself hovering over it sometimes and thinking, "Oh yeah, no item tooltip while crafting." I think I look while doing rush orders to make sure the spell scroll is of the right level or something bc II and III look a lot alike to me after 4 hours of rush orders.

I get bizarre bugs now and then, but I hope they're just transient, I coun't find the snowmen the other day for frostfell, even though they were right there in my unfiltered view. What's up with that default view? Is it so familiar to everyone that it is totally ignored now? Can something be done about it? Maybe make default = unfiltered as long as you're not focused on a crafting table? Taking that dance step out would be a huge help.
  16. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This kindof already exists- recipe books can be filtered.

However the problem is that having the filters account-wide is actually less helpful in this case, because your Yelnar filter set for toon X wont pull the Yelnar recipes for toon Y.

So one fix is to have a text-based search window filtering recipe books as part of the filter page- and have that persist. So I can log in with my scholar and filter "Ancient Dragon" and get what I'm looking for on that toon, and then log in my outfitter and the active filter re-filters the database hit as it comes in for that toon.

Along the same lines, I'd like to see a filter for "recipes for the rush order writ I'm currently on" that automagically activates itself when the quest timer activates. That would probably need to be balanced by shortening the rush order timer a little, but on the positive side it would make rush orders more equal across classes- where some have to make 5 different items and others have to make two or one.

Maybe this could make it easier to implement the T10 writs, as you could go fully automated on chinese-puzzle-box'ing those instead of populating a database with every single writ combination at all.
  17. Calthine Well-Known Member

One of my concerns is automation of built-in filters. It doesn't do us much good if every time there's new content we have to /bug to have new recipes added to the filters.
  18. Lempo Well-Known Member

It is nice to see the dedication that some of you guys have and it doesn't go unnoticed, that goes for you too TTobey as well as some others hopefully it will become infectious to the areas that are being neglected. Some of the recent polish goes a long way and hopefully it will carry forward to depositing items into your bank and broker in bulk into specific bags in some fashion.

I don't really think this would be as hard to implement as you think, the data might already be there, if the combine name is available in the dynamic data which I think it should be, this would be awesome to have for writs and I was going to make a post suggesting that, but there is no reason to exclude other quests that require a combine.

Alternatively it might be easier to implement an icon in the quest helper window that opens the TS windown up ready for you to click begin, a lot of the functionality should be there where you can use items.
  19. Councellor Member

1. While you're considering a re-work of the recipe window, (since the new Fuel Depot box seems to work similar to the Harvest Supply Depot box), it might be a good idea to include a Fuel Supply Box selection/filter check-box similar to the Harvest Supply Depot Box selection/filter check-box. This way, members could consciously opt in/out of drawing from the two supply boxes.

2. Another option might be to set all Recipes to draw from player's inventory bags BEFORE pulling from BOTH harvest boxes. This would be an acceptable and perhaps preferable method of addressing the new integration of Fuel Box, Harvest Box and Recipe Window.

Our understanding of material usage priority by a recipe window is
    1. Pulls from Harvest or Fuel box (then)
    2. Pulls from inventory bags

As it stands now, most players think they are using their own "on-hand" mats and that they are using fuel depot resources until those mats are used up and then only once their inventory bags no longer have any required fuel mats.

3. Perhaps including a "search IF" filter function to search on bag name would be a worthwhile idea as well. That way a player could change the name of one of their bags to "Craft Mats" and the recipe window could pull from the specially designated bag before pulling from the Guild Harvest Supply or Fuel Supply Depot boxes.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

For the harvest depot, it pulls from the character's inventory before pulling from the depot. I just double-checked to confirm this was not changed with the other depot changes.