Rays of Disintegration

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Aeralik, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-thajoka Guest

It's our third (naturally) highest spell iirc?

1. fusion
    2. ice comet
    3. Rays
    4. ball of fire
    I think thats top 4

Aeralik said he was going to give it a faster cast speed too. Since right now it does like less than half the dmg of ice comet yet casts the same speed. If the cast speed is reduced from 4 to 3, then it would match ball of fires cast speed.
  2. ARCHIVED-unwritenglorykid Guest

Leafsway@Mistmoore wrote:
    do me a favor and like put up your int buff because u quite obviously need it. check this. you are not LOSING any dps. your spell is going to double atk now properly, it will get more dps gain from najenas ring now. and its going to be faster and higher... how the hell are you so ignorant to be able to even consider this may be bad. seriously. wizards dont need another ice comet and ball of fire is deece. please just go learn how to play your class instead of comlaining when you get an upgrade at the price of enchanters going emo.

edit : btw ball of fire is kinda like bigger then any nuke any other class has.
  3. ARCHIVED-Elfruler Guest

This is wh y i dont ever post my opinion on these God forbidden forums. Anything you say is flamed and twisted until i am now getting pissed at what you post. I thought I would post what i thought because this does actually pertain to me. Im sorry if I dont think exactly like you do and share the exact same thoughts. I am entitled to my own opinion about this and you are not helping at all.
    And BTW I dont have a najena's ring because ive only seen it drop once and lost the roll to a coercer and dont have the money to buy it because i am a relaxed player
  4. ARCHIVED-unwritenglorykid Guest

Leafsway@Mistmoore wrote:
    opinions are fine so long as its an opinionated aspect. you can't say in my opinion a spell that is gonna do more dmg for me, and cast faster, is a bad change. thats called your an idiot.
  5. ARCHIVED-shadowgate Guest

Glad it is being changed! I never use it as it is not worth the potential issues. I would like it to be fairly big damage but not as slow as some of our spells. Would be nice to have something special about it for us but I have no idea in what way. I will just be glad if it is good enough to be in the first few spells of my spell rotation.
  6. ARCHIVED-Dinduit Guest

This is some good news for Wizards, imo. In our raids, the caster group is pretty stacked, but often has a rotating group of fill-in regulars. While most are okay w/ the use of Rays, some of the folks who regularly make my group are opposed to the use and so it comes out of my rotation. No big deal.

If the cast and cool down are on par w/ BoF, then I'm all for adding another mob-melter that I can use in every rotation.
    But I will miss being able to use it just to screw w/ my illy in group when he gets over-enthusiastic about mezzing encounters, hehe.
  7. ARCHIVED-Raydenn Guest

Enyone thought about just tweekin the spell a little , makin it instead of interupting every caster in the group too just drawing a small amount of mana from each caster and blasting for the same efect , fixing the double attack portion of the spell, and making it actualy useful when low on mana or something to that efect? I mean after all Bloodletter draws a portion of hp from all peps in the group and makes it so the tank dosnt die =) sounds like this spell could be handled in a simalar fasion and still persurve the nature of the spell even make it better. Just a thought instead of a rant =-)
  8. ARCHIVED-Bridgeplay Guest

Instead of interrupting other mages, the spell could have had increased damage based on how many mages were in the group. As was said earlier, take a small bit of mana from each, if needed.
    But overall I don't mind the spell being changed.
  9. ARCHIVED-Leucippus Guest

Hurray!
    Maybe this spell will be worth a hotbar spot soon.
    -Leucippus
  10. ARCHIVED-Caethre Guest

(( Speaking with my Conjuror hat on, I'd have to say this is great news.
    I have always detested wizards in a group I am in casting Rays. Like most players, I find it totally un-fun having some other player interrupting my casting order and forcing me to take some other action I had not planned on or requested.
    Wizards using Rays has always started arguments too, in my experience, with angry non-wizard magi all shouting at the wizard. If I was on my Conjuror, it has been ME starting them as well *chuckle*.
    So I am well pleased to hear this change is happening! ))
  11. ARCHIVED-DerFunkBlaster Guest

This is a very good change to rays Aeralik. It goes with what our class is meant to be on the raid. I've always felt Velium Gift + Ice shape was enough utility for the wizard to bring to a raid anyways. Now all we need to do is get ice shape + velium gift into one spell and have it immune to interrupts. =)
  12. ARCHIVED-Sixes Guest

Very unhappy with this change. Most of our spells are straight nukes; this was one that was situational and required thought and discussion before using.
    This game is gradually, bit by bit, being dumbed down and I see this change as just another step along that route.
    Pity.
    Sevens.
  13. ARCHIVED-Griffinhart Guest

Sorry, this isn't dumbing down anything. I can count the amount of people I have grouped with that didn't mind me casting rays with one finger.... Oh wait, that's the finger I was shown...
    I have tried many times to demonstrate to the mages I raid with that it actually helps them, but the fact is, no one wants to have their cast order disrupted. Half the mages I know interupt it before it goes off so they can continue their own rotation anyway. It is my least used nuke as a result.
  14. ARCHIVED-thajoka Guest

Dumbing down is a bit different than changing spell littered with flaws and inefficiencies to a redeemable spell like a brand new level gained spell should be

1. No proper DA. We lost damage we were entitled to when this spell DA'd because it recasted instead of granting us our extra DA instantly
    2. Interrupted = full recast. This is how CA's are suppose to work, not 4 second base cast time spells.
    3. It was a Direct Nuke for us masked with AoE properties due to its nature. So therefor we launched a DD (for ourselves) that received 1/3 spell damage instead of 100% spell damage.
    4. This goes for other mages in groups and even us when a wizzy used it on us. Being interrupted mid cast is not good. It means I casted Rays + however many seconds into my cast I already was. So if your going by base cast times, and your 2s into a spell and rays hits, grats you just casted rays with a 6s base cast speed. That is really really poor efficiency, especially on a wizard. Maybe if it qued this would be a different story but. I'd sure be annoyed it Rays got qued in between me heading for Fusion. I've actually missed a huge nuke on a mob because of crap like getting interruped by rays, then having it double cast (double attack), leaving me with no more time to get the nuke I was actually going for off. Instant interrupt is really poor design.

Right there are 4 strikes against the spell that with these changes, will be corrected. So I just have trouble seeing what there is to be upset about, this is glorious news for us. =) We'll have to see what Aeralik has in store though. I'm still eager :)
  15. ARCHIVED-talpsrood Guest

All I can say is Thank You! Best news in-game since I've been playing!
  16. ARCHIVED-Xarcara Guest

great change for everyone on the surface, however doesnt anyone else feel like there taking somthing away as well, Rays was a unique spell the premise was great however poorly executed, and instead of fixing that they are just making it a staight nuke, sure im not really losing anything, nor was it really class defining however now instead of trying new things liek this they are pobably going to shy away from it, yes i know this fix probably takes the least amount of work but people have been asking for a change to this spell since november and you are just now fixing it and the quickest easiest way possible forgive me if i dont jump for joy
  17. ARCHIVED-figohsu Guest

My suggestion,
    make this spell as a buff,
    This spell can let other class have a new spell icon on the hotbar. They can cast big nukes like Ball of Fire.
    this buff can cast on self or any Group/Raid memebers (mage only) and use a concentration.
  18. ARCHIVED-DerFunkBlaster Guest

My next question would be, are you touching the recast at all? I noticed you talk about casting speed and damage.. but no talk of recast. Will 2m still be appropriate for this nuke? Will you also be removing the no recovery part after it goes off?
  19. ARCHIVED-Azol Guest

1) As a Wizard I must say I am very happy to see Rays changing into something more useful. In fact, I have even died once because of another &$%#%$ Wizard casting Rays the very moment I grabbed aggro off our tank and he interrupted my 1 position de-hate with that... ugh.

2) I highly doubt that having already
    • 1 slow cast high damage nuke (Comet)
    • 1 medium cast medium damage nuke (Ball)
    • 2 fast casting low damage nukes (Strike and one from TSO AA tree)
    • plus some other forms of nukes on different timers
    we are in need of yet ANOTHER nuke in its pure form - no procs, no kiting effects, debuffs or something yummy like that!
    figohsu wrote:
    but without using concentration! Great idea, honestly!
    Aeralik wrote:
    Emm... not nearly as beneficial as some other *cough* chanters *cough* classes! Turn it into something in line with what Rays used to be - group wide, but controllable by other players (mages).
  20. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

You know, the coordination aspect of it is what really sucks. The spell itself actually does some good damage as long as you have 2 or more casters in the group. What they should've done, was to not make it interrupt your current spell, but to instead make it queue itself as the NEXT spell to be cast. That way, it doesn't screw up that long casting spell that the other sorcerer was nearly finished casting, and the other caster classes can still have that extra dps boost.
    If you have to change it though, this is what I'd suggest. Put it on a high recast timer such as 10 minutes and make it do something on par with or even higher than assassin's execute (or assassinate or whatever it's called now). Wizards are supposed to blow stuff up. That is their job. So give them something worthy of that that doesn't destroy their mana pool and leave them unable to fight.