Rangers and their bows.

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-dbmoreland, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Beldin_ Guest

Danean@Guk wrote:
    I haven't played my ranger since 1-2 weeks before LU#44 and before .. yes i still used my Raincaller most of the time. I seldom have raided and never hat luck get a fabled Bow. So my other choice was the faction bow from Terens Grasp, but i never saw a really difference in Damage so i much prefered the little "utility" that RC brings with the stun.
    If i ever play my Ranger again i will however now buy a Di'Zok Bow, but that is only a valid options since a few weeks.
  2. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

PeterJohn wrote:
    And you miss my point. Being casual does not preclude knowing how to play your class well. Yet some use playing casual as a crutch for not learning to play their class well.
  3. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

Mayl wrote:
    Generally speaking why all the math? I can't tell you how many times I've done a T8 instance and not made it all the way through because one or more players weren't pulling their weight. When two healers can't do the job of one competent one, we can't finish the instance, and we fail. Or there are tanks that can't keep aggro because they're running around with Adept 1 taunts and I have to really throttle down my damage just to stay alive. I don't have hours a day to play the game like some do, so I want to end my time feeling like I accomplished something. T8 instances being as unforgiving as they are, its more important now than it was in T7 to know your class.

The OP's point is valid. Why would a level 80 ranger not look to see if there is a bow out there better than the T6 bow they carried through the last expansion. They must have upgraded their armor already. Wouldn't it stand to reason there's a better bow too? I mean even if they don't want to look it up on the internet, 70-79 is right at their fingertips and they don't even have to stop playing.

Ultimately though, play the game however you want - its your dime and your time. But how you play can impact others.
  4. ARCHIVED-Mayl Guest

Pulling their weight?
    Unless a player is afk or clearly not trying to play (ie wizzy using melee attacks or something stupid) , which honestly you do see at later levels, I just let them play.
    Sorry but not so elitist where I would boot anyone if their gear is up to your par level. How else can they get loot, coin or drops to get better then doing what they are doing.... grouping and hunting.
  5. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

Mayl wrote:
    Who said anything about booting anybody? Its got nothing to do with elitist. It has all to do with being able to complete the task and/or not spending 3 times the amount of time a group of good players can do it in. I'm sure you think I get a thrill out of looking down at people but nothing could be further from the truth. Can't tell you how many rangers and wizards I've tried to help be better players in-game. Sadly, more than half aren't open to polite suggestions.

I "let people play" too. And I've left Chelsith empty-handed with a high repair bill waiting at home because of people not knowing their class. How are they going to get loot, coin, or drops when they can't kill the named... Broker and hoping a good group will carry them through.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Mayl wrote:
    I see both sides of the argument. If people are having fun that is all that matters. What other posters are saying is that fun for them is defeating content. For me I found the perfect balance, only do raid groups. Let me give you 2 examples:

1. I tried our ranger epic Drafling Tower step with a pick-up group. The SK could not hold aggro over 1500 DPS, the assassin was doing 800 DPS and the other ranger was doing 500. We wiped over and over. Long story short 3 hours later and no update. Next day, I take a guild group in there 15 MINUTES! In and out no wipes.

2. Again the ranger epic this time in Chardok. After many PuGs that never got past the blue gate (total 5 pugs - 8 hours). No update. Finally gave up and decided to be patient and wait for a guild group. The next day - 25 minutes deep chardok and back. No wipes.

Moral of the story: Play with people that have your similar playstyle and you will not run into this frustration. Everyone is having fun or they would not play. Just make sure the way you like to have fun is the same way the people you play with like to have fun.
  7. ARCHIVED-Andok Guest

How does my Flimflam bow compare to the Di'Zok bow? Both bows have about the same damage rating, but my bow has the higher high-end damage (107 - 607 vs the Di'Zok's 180 - 539) , but the Di'Zok would give me 25 more STR and 45 more INT, +1 RDA, and it has a damage proc (as opposed my Flimflam's deaggro proc). I need to know so I know if I suck as a ranger or not =) I'm guessing I suck, but I don't want to spend 5p on a new bow when I am actively working on my epic...
  8. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Andok wrote:
    dont worry you suck
  9. ARCHIVED-Andok Guest

Ranja wrote:
    Hehe. I would smack ya, but my melee skills suck.
  10. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Mayl wrote:
    Actualy there were two reasons for bringing this up. First was to ask why so many Rangers are using bows that, by the numbers in the game itself (not my opinion), are clearly not as good as one you can get so trivialy. It was not that some are, but how many are.
    The Second is what, if anything, can or should those of us that know, do about it? I have seen many of us go out of our way to spend a good amount of time to help out a new player playing a level 20 or 30 ranger and point him down the "right path". Can or should we treat a fellow level 80 ranger the same way when we find one that for whatever reason is using a bow that is clearly not as good as it could be? I don't mean in an insulting manner ("what the <beep> are you thinking???") but in a helpful way ("have you seen one of these?, No?, check out the broker, only a few plat"). Or maybe even have one in your bag and offer it to them for a couple of plat, especialy if you are about ready to make a CoA run with them.
    And my most humble appologies if I came across as saying that anyone had "failed" because they were not using what I expected them to. I was simply suprised that, given the current state of this game, that so many players, after so many hours of play, were not using at least the best simple to obtain bow, when they were using so much other stuff that took so much more time and effort to obtain. It just seemed inconsistant to me and I was curious why.
  11. ARCHIVED-Mayl Guest

Well Ranja not breaking new ground there :) Pugs suck vs guild groups.. we got that (note the smiley)
    My main issue is the post had a feeling that if you were X level ranger you should have X level bow or you are slacking, stupid or a drain on group members success.
    Some posters assume these rangers would even be in pug's with them.. They don't know that.
    My point still is, you should hold a standard gear expectation for all players. Yes if your guild wants that. No issues to say you better have <insert uber item here> if you want to join, group etc. Your guild, your rules
    But as a blanket statement, don't look at the total level 80 rangers and say they have to have certain bows or they are not good, worthwhile, groupable rangers.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Andok wrote:
    Aye we all suck for even rolling rangers :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Mayl wrote:
    That was a secondary point. My main point was to play with people that have the same playstyle and you dont need to worry about any of this.
  14. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Andok wrote:
    The Flimflam bow is one of those "dropped or quested bows" that is very comparable to the Di'Zok bow. The fact that it's DR is "about the same" means that you don't "suck as a ranger". There are advantages to each which you have stated. The reason I use the Flimflam is because it gets better the higher my Ranged Crit Hit % is and because of the deaggro proc, two things that are most important to me.
    My question again is why are so many level 80 rangers using bows with DRs of 85 or less when for a few plat they could buy one with a DR of 103? Especialy when they have done what it takes to get so much other good stuff, like the best neck item in the game.
  15. ARCHIVED-Beldin_ Guest

Danean@Guk wrote:
    Because 2 weeks ago the 103 bow was not better than the 85 bow
  16. ARCHIVED-Thanriyon Arkhelt Guest

This thread boggles my mind, limited as it is.
    I play a Ranger. I only play a Ranger. No alts other than one banking toon.
    Been playing since launch. I doubt I'd be called casual. 50 + hours a week there abouts.
    So why do I still use my Raincaller?
    Because I like my Raincaller. Pure and simple. It works for me. I get no complaints, so either I'm doing something right, or everyone else is too terrified to tell me otherwise.
    I kinda hope it's the former, rather than the latter :D
  17. ARCHIVED-Tommara Guest

Thanriyon Arkhelt wrote:
    I wonder if the fact that you had to work for your Raincaller heightens its appeal to you more than a bow that you bought from a vendor for 5p, no matter how much better it is?
    If so, kudos to you! I remember once upon a time when it was a high point of honor to "loot" your gear rather than buy it. I've since abandoned that philosophy, but I can remember how it once was considered important. It brings back fond memories - memories of the fun that kind of playstyle can bring.
  18. ARCHIVED-Tamalain Guest

My oh my. This thread is developing asome real staying power.

As I said earlier, on page 1, I tend to stick to mastercrafted gear. Oh Do upgrade, IF and ONLY IF the new piece serves the purpose of augmenting my style in combat.
    I never cared for raiding. Got realing soured on it after to many Vox raids in EQ.
    I have found I rather like my Mahogany Longbow. It does swell damage at a hardy rate. Also the fact that my gear and AP is set to speed, raw, flat out smack it out as fast as possible, makes all the difference. So I am VERY choosy about my gear.
    I never finished Raincaller. Got tired of not being able to get a group for that SOB outside of Mistemoore Castle. He was in my way. Dumped the quest.
    I am way off track as far as this topic goes I know. If you worry about how much DPS you do, then you are doing to much and risk pulling agro off the main Tank, unless of course you were smart and loaded up Ignorant Bliss. Don't raid without it. In HoS, at one MOB deap down inside, you had better have Mental Breach on, or the raid dies, period. In that fight, Stream of Arrows is you best weapon.
    Other raids, just dish it out. I have done some raiding, just not into it 6 nights a week. Maybe once a month.
    Any Ranger that does not use the bow They like or choose to use to it's fullest, is not a Ranger.

Ramble Ramble. Way to late for me to sainly be posting.
  19. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Tamalain wrote:
    You do realize that the Di'Zok bow is mastercrafted right? And you did upgrade from the level 62 MC bow to the level 72 MC bow right? So why not upgrade to the level 77 MC bow? Is it because the loss of 20 str and sta for +50 int and 18 DR is not worth it? Just curious.
  20. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Thanriyon Arkhelt wrote:
    I can understand why you would not use the Di'Zok bow. But why would you not use the Eagle Talon? I assume that someone that plays 50+ hours per week, has done the RC HQ as well as 3500 other quests has completed the Epic quest, correct? Or is my assumption wrong?