Ranger class rapidly losing it's flavor?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith, Jun 13, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Nikki656 Guest

I believe I've stated that no matter what nerfs hit I'm playing a ranger. It's what I enjoy and I'll continue to adapt and overcome. I always have in whatever game I've played. Like I stated earlier. I usually stay away from the boards that way I'm oblvious to whatever they do or to whoever has something to say about it. I guess I figured I could come here and learn a few things about how to adapt and overcome. Guess I was wrong. I'll figure it out on my own, I generally do. I like your willingness to offer up options tho. It shows great forethought and originallity. I'm quite sure that hasn't been said before.

Point of interest, the nerfs they hit us with aren't apocalyptic. Just annoying. Point blank was quite useful as it was for doing nice damage up close in tight situations. The stun situation is something I've already overcome as it's not that big a deal. My last statement on the subject is more of a observation. Perhaps we can worry less about the PVP aspects of the class when the majority of the servers are pve and the nerfs for pvp effect the population as a whole. Point of fact, PVP servers are crawling with "cry more noob WTFZ0R I wtfpwned u" people who get smoked by a class and complain until the devs are pulling their hair out and give in. I understand that nerfs are a necessary evil. I also understand the need for class balance. What I don't understand is the systematic demolition of a class brick by brick. If they keep going they will have us wearing cloth and paying 20 pp a stack for arrows and doing less damage with ca's and auto attack than Templars do when they're hitting a mob with their little wands of destrucion. Melodramatic I know. But ask yourself this. If it were you watching a Berserker out dps you, when you know how to play your clase quite well, not once, not twice but repeatedly on a parser. Wouldn't you, at the very least, raise an eyebrow?

I digress. It's not that bad, I love my class and I will continue to play it no matter how hard the nerf bat swings. As I've said before, it's nice being oblivous. Which after this post I will be from now on. I just think some of you people saying that we're whining and crying and "walking around all goth" need to step back and look at it from a different angle. Perhaps one that doesn't impede your view of the whole picture.

Thanks and good luck to all of you.
  2. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

Sorry, those aren't all valid choices. Specifically, your #3 is invalid. There is no "adapt and overcome". This implies if a ranger simply tries harder or "learns his class" that he can once again rise to tier-1 dps. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Can't happen. The class maxes out at tier-2 given current game mechanics/equipment and other class' skills and AAs compared to those of rangers. So let me redo your list:
    Four options here folks.....
    1) quit...just pack up your toys and go home!
    2) retire...stop playing your char and sit around like a bunch of ole geezers in the park.." well, in my day we could run like the wind as we shot a zillion arrows at everything that moved and killed'em dead... then those (insert adjectives and nouns) nerfed the crap outta us!"
    3) Grit your teeth and bear it.... simply resign yourself to being tier-2 dps with no offesetting utility
    4) Post calm, objective, supported messages on this board describing the issues involved in hopes that the devs might relook ranger dps shortcomings.
  3. ARCHIVED-boondoggle Guest

Ok,you want clam objective options, how about this....as far as PvP goes, you never go out in the big bad world solo...ever! Learn how to max your potential DPS, with a combo of potions,poisons and even how you approach your target. Sleath...sleath...sleath...our best damges comes from that postition. If your surprised off guard by a group of freeps, unprepared to fight run...run...run...last resort evac! That's what we do! You are not proving anything by standing there getting the snot beat out of you!
    The Ranger can be a effective and contributing part of a group, a tank, a healer, a couple of clothies and the scout can be a formidable force to come upon while out roaming the wide open spaces.
    And yes you can re-learn your char, all of us that have played through all the LU's from the very beginning have been forced to "adapt and overcome" all the changes to this class!
    And Sony.....well, the bottom line is that if you are not playing the game the way they want you to, they will make changes....don't worry, other classes will see the nerf bat heading their way.
    The Scout classes are only the flavor of the week, if you are reading any of the other forums you will soon discover that people are whinning about every class....

my 2 cents worth
  4. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

This is not PvP and no one where really cares about PvP so just take that action to the PvP boards. The fact of the matter is alot of us have been around here for long time and are sick of SOE jacking up Rangers. We have adapted (every LU), we have overcome (every LU) and you coming here posting like that is all it takes is really arrogant and demeaning to a lot of Rangers that have been through alot.
    Just b/c you are fine with game mechanics that limit you to less DPS than tanks and other support classes does not mean we have to sit back and be satisfied with being mediocre. Don't belittle other people that want their class to be where it shoud be. Mediocrity might be ok for you, but for a lot of Rangers we want the game mechanics to allow us to do as much damage as our assassin counterparts.
    If you are a raiding Ranger, it is even worse. So, please, go be happy in your world of mediocrity and let people that want change ask for change as long as they do it in a calm and constructive manner. I am sorry but I am so sick of people coming in here and telling us to learn and adapt. We are still here so obviously we have learned and adpated but it does not mean we have to sit here and get the shaft.
  5. ARCHIVED-boondoggle Guest

I respect your opinion...but you need to wake up and smell the coffee...the blue servers have been left behind in the dust, SOE is only interested in PvP right now.

You can sit around an belly ache until doom's day comes, you will never see the Ranger return to the glory days it once had! This class is set-up as a supportive role, not an EQII God!

If you haven't noticed, SOE wants players to group, they don't want you out soloing. But I guess that doesn't apply to you since you have capped your char at 70, so now all you have left to do is raid!

Don't come down on me with a condescending attitude like you have been around since the first conception art was drawn for this class.
    Most likely we both have been here since Nov. 8,'04, so I've been through all the LU's also!
    Message Edited by boondoggle on 06-16-2006 08:36 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

Why don't you both take a deep breath and step away for a bit, geez.
  7. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

From what I see - PvE hasent really been effected by PvP. PvP has its own spellsets and its own rules, I do feel that the changes that have taken place are due to solo content ballancing and keeping util ontop of util.
  8. ARCHIVED-Marcuzs Guest

Personally I feel the class hasnt changed based on how I play, only the damage done has. So for me no it hasn't lost its flavor. I just wish I could go back in time when I was only level 40 and had no clue what a parser was and how bad my damage was. Ignorance truely was bliss back then.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

And pray tell me, what do we support? What utility do we have that allows us to support people? The Ranger is a DPS class that does mediocre DPS. Period. Who said anything about EQ2 god. I play my ranger because I like Rangers. I dont care about my DPS but I do care when SOE makes half [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] changes that affect our class that are obviously not thought out. If we are a support class, as you said, where is my utility. What is my purpose?
  10. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

lol @ rangers as a support class. If you mean, as in we need (emotional support), then you'd be right.
    Actually it should be "COL" (Cry Out Loud) ;)
  11. ARCHIVED-Marcuzs Guest

1. I think the previous 2 posters stated it well. We have no utiltity to support anyone. If you have been around as long as you say you have then where the hell did you get the idea that we are a support class?
    2. So you say SOE wants players to group and they don't want us to solo, are we the only ones then? I doubt this LU stopped wizards from root/nuking heroic named, or even stopped brawlers from going toe to toe with same mobs. Granted they might have made it more difficult for summoners but I'm sure they are still better at it than us.
    Frankly your points are invalid and on the verge of ludicrous. BTW the level we were at when we were considered "Gods" is the same level every other dps except us is currently at now. Guess we are the only ones who wont be "Gods" now.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Amen Bruva!