Raids and spell lag

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Drumstixx, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Skwor Active Member

I knew it!! Well actually I didn't but something bothered me about how bad the lag and QoS was and I did ponder if a DDoS might explain it. So much for idle thoughts.
  2. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Am I confused? Definitely not. I wish I could say the same for you.

The power company is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure they own, so you call them when there is a power issue. SOE is responsible for maintaining their own hardware and equipment. SOE is not responsible for upkeep of the infrastructure for the entire world wide web (they do not own it), a concept you fail to grasp. Just because a fault may be close to them, does not make it their responsibility. A fault affecting a number of customers may be in SOE's interest to resolve, but it is not a responsibility. Try looking up a dictionary and learn the difference between responsibility and interest.

Just in case you did not bother to read the post by Kander <HERE>, SOE has both Code and Network is looking into it. And Zoltaroth has recently re-stated it.

So what are you trying to complain about here? That SOE should be doing what they already are?

I have never ruled out the chance the fault lays within SOE hardware. But unlike some, I am not ruling out that the fault may be outside of SOE owned hardware. When there has been no conclusive evidence provided that SOE owned hardware is at fault, I will not point the finger at SOE. Along with such, I am pointing out that when people just stomp the foot and scream lag, SOE is getting no useful information to work with.

Actually, the only thing ridiculous there, is that you thought that analogy was relevant in any way. You went beyond a stretch with that one. Once again, it is not the responsibility of SOE to maintain the entire world wide web. It is not their job. Never has been. It seems the fact that SOE does not run the whole internet, is hard for some people to comprehend...

With Kander and Zoltaroth on it, having stated both code and engineering are investigating. What more do you want? The art team who have not a shred of network experience to poke at cabling in rooms full of equipment they know nothing about? o_O

I hope what ever is causing the lag, that only some people are getting, from a source yet to be confirmed, is resolved sooner than later.
  3. Zoltaroth Developer

Another update.

At 2am today our service provider made changes to their network to help with this issue. SOE will also be re-configuring some of our hardware to best take advantage of their changes at 6am on Thursday (7/18). Please keep updating this thread with network lag issues the more data we have the better. If you can include a traceroute that would be even better.

Thanks guys, we are working on it as fast as we can!
    Hammdaddy, Lempo and Avirodar like this.
  4. Lempo Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping us updated! :)
  5. Malleria Well-Known Member

Great news :)
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

This specific type of unplayable lag was gone for us tonight. Back to just the generic lag when the game can't handle things (like dreadcutter trash or Overlord Talan HM).

Thank you for fixing it. Raiding is so much easier when you can actually push buttons.
    Malleria and Neiloch like this.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

yea I didn't notice any awful lag tonight
  8. Tabri Well-Known Member

I didnt read this entire forum its too big but here is my take on things short and sweet. This game was NOT designed for all of these itemization and proc changes that have been made to it the thing about EQII is it was set in stone the day it was created with not a lot of leeway to adjust anything. I personally hope that SOE looks to the future for the next Everquest they make and they have learned from that mistake. Now on that note remove the following:

War runes remove any that proc anything, make the stats on any left permanent for example "when equipped" increase STR INT Potency blah blah, or provides ward increase in heal amount blah blah
    Elemental toxicity I wouldnt cry if you just removed this off my toon I lock up entire raids with this thing or anything that resembles it remove it
    GEAR remove all procs also same with war runes stats permanent
    Adjust the gear the way it used to be along with the mobs we encounter when I started EQII there was no such thing as procs anyway gear had just solid stats on it back in the day when the game was created.
    Zones: Test Test Test make sure no leaked code is present and chill out on overdone decor nobody can see it anyway if on the lowest graphic settings possible due to lag.

24 man raid with each toon having up to 20 procs on gear each ummm thats a bit extreme

Anyway that is my perspective on things just saying.
  9. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Look at the forums the six months before they added all these procs and everyone was complaining about how boring the itemization was and asking for more procs. Aside from not being able to tell if anything stacks, I like having procs on a lot of slots. They can probably take a closer look at things and figure out what spells or procs are creating the most lag and fine tune those without dumbing down all of itemization. As has been noted many times though, you can do without any future small damage procs (have a feeling that is already planned for).
  10. slippery Well-Known Member

I'm fine with getting rid of most of the completely terrible damage proc's. There should definitely still be proc's though. Things like the power proc's, control immunity, etc.
  11. Kander Developer

So we have more changes and optimizations coming tomorrow morning and we have added some more internal monitoring. We are no where done with this. Hopefully we can greatly improve the "generic lag" also.
    Hammdaddy likes this.
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I always figured my 2 fps in Freeport was due to my computer. Not?
  13. Lempo Well-Known Member

The kind of lag you are talking about having in freeport has nothing to do with this.
  14. slippery Well-Known Member

This would make me very happy
  15. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Thank you. I have done tracerts, and I go through switchnap every time. 23 hops to get to the freeport server. Haven't had timeouts on any links but never saw a route through the one that was giving the most trouble either.
  16. Aniathor Member

Here's a concept you should try to grasp. I haven't seen a single post here, or heard from any player in game that they are having latency issues with any other facet of the internet. IT IS SOLELY SOE PRODUCTS. It is a matter of common sense to understand that if people from all regions of the continental United States, with the best ISPs and hardware available, are only having issues with one company's product, maybe it's the fault of that company's hardware or even software specific programming.

Anyways, since this debate's subject is now becoming a matter of your opinion of what a company's responsibilities are, I am done with it. My opinion is that it is the responsibility of every business, for itself and employees, is to stay in business by all reasonable means necessary, even if that means taking measures to fix external problems that are directly interfering with the company's ability to conduct business. I hardly think that fixing this problem would require an overhaul of the entire world wide web as you imply.

On a more positive note, the lag problem has improved drastically from the last update, and thanks SoE for looking into the problem and taking action. I find it pretty amazing that one company was able to upkeep the infrastructure for the entire world wide web with one patch on Tuesday.
  17. Avirodar Well-Known Member

If you bothered to read the posts by SOE Dev's, which it seems you have not, you would know that it was not SOE's servers that were causing the extreme lag (despite some people thinking otherwise). I have always maintained in this thread that it may NOT be SOE's hardware at fault, and it was not. The fault was with the service provider one step back down the line, namely Switchnap. SOE does not own Switchnap. Is this difficult for you to understand?

Before the post from SOE stating the problem was Switchnap, I had already identified Switchnap as a likely culprit, while several others were doing nothing bar blindly accuse SOE.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/raids-and-spell-lag.3345/page-12#post-5942492

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/raids-and-spell-lag.3345/page-13#post-5942869

And it is no surprise that you could not have been bothered to post a tracert.

So... You're "done with it", then proceed to go on about it anyway?

And where did I imply an overhaul of the entire world wide web would be required? Now you're making up garbage in a vain attempt to justify your weak stance.

Yeah, because people who bothered to give SOE tracert data, provided information that shown Switchnap (non-SOE hardware) was the fault, despite uneducated claims by others that it was SOE's hardware.

What happened over the last two weeks, is exactly like what happened back in February, despite some people who think they know what they are talking about, trying to tell me it is not. Do yourself a favor and read this post:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/raids-and-spell-lag.3345/page-10#post-5939946

It was the exact same thing.
  18. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Actually it appears not to have been SoE problem so get off your horse. "ISP" which I presume (no evidence) to be switcnap did some reprogramming. You figure it out.
    Avirodar likes this.
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Tracert might be inconvenient during a raid but if there are issues just do it and post the reslults. That's all.
  20. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Exactly. But they didn't...