Purple War Runes

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Rhapsodic1, May 11, 2014.

1. Lare Active Member

I completely disagree with both statemenst, Its not that hard to both gear up toon in this expansion and provide war runes and adornments I have a multitude of alts and I have over 6 fully geared out with war runes purples and whites. I have only been back playing with this expansion 3 months ago. You have to run the solo zones I do them on my alts on my mains and normally 1 in 5 instances will drop a pattern for me.

I like the fact that you have to do the work to get the gear. I take pride in the fact that I have a lot of alts that are well at least instance geared with green gems, purples, war runes and whites. I always have use for what drops. Worse case I transmute what I get.

Drop rates now with groups and solos are fine at present go do the zones again.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

I love the fact that purple runes come on a pattern so you can choose the one you want.

I don't like that all the best ones are on one pattern (or two). I have quite a few spare of the more common patterns and missing a few of the rarer, more desirable ones.

I actually quite like that there is incentives to run advanced solo zones for a chance of a pattern. The chance to drop should have been higher in the heroics from the start though.

Not sure what the best way is for the future. As a part time raider in DoV1, I got a reasonable amount of equipment from raids but never a rune, so the concept of flagging that rune never happened for me. I like that I can get the war runes in ToV even though I've hardly raided at all.
  3. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

yeah i can put a purple war rune in every slot too. doesnt mean they are the good ones.
    Neiloch likes this.
  4. Neiloch Well-Known Member

One day I was running solos and I got 5 patterns to drop in a row. I had all the runes I could ever need for my main save for 2 (wild swings and screams of battle) in less than 30 minutes. I've yet to get one to drop again, solo or heroic. I had to buy those in raids.

This games RNG is horrendous. If the chance for something dropping is below 25%, trying to actively get it to drop is an exercise is self-punishment. This games RNG should ALWAYS be accompanied by a vendor/currency option. Takes about 5 runs to get one to drop? Than make it so you can just buy one with 15 runs worth of etyma. This type of system puts a 'cap' on how many zones you will have to run to get a Rune. It also makes the horrible RNG a nice bonus if it drops, not the sole method you have to depend on.

Having to maintain a stable of alts just to get runes that aren't terrible/nearly useless is unreasonable.
  5. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

just add all purple war runes to merchant... and have them cost around 300-400 etyma. This way it costs 1500-2000 eytma per toon to fill with the war runes you want to run all the time. I would say thats pretty fair and would still require you to run zones to get that amount. Also adding to merchant shouldnt cause the developers any headaches.
    Neiloch likes this.
  6. Sylvi Member

If you manage to get a purple rune you should be able to buy them for all your alts as well.
  7. Carni Active Member

And put the Sparkling Gems right next to them.....5k or 10k etymas, would be just fine.
  8. Neiloch Well-Known Member

700k is PLENTY of HP for a tank. People REALLY overestimate how much a tank needs to be usable. A tank with about 1 million HP could easily do heroics in the cb/pot DPS gear. But this is off topic.

'Bad patterns' are another issue. 1-2 patterns are really top loaded with the BEST runes while other patterns have junk. It would be nice if instead they were patterns or for lore lets say a 'Unfinished Rune' that you can take to the etyma vendor and use to buy a rune of your choice out of ALL the runes available. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me, you got a rune to drop with the horrendous RNG, it could at least be one that you actually want.

If they want to cut out the middle man just make one rune pattern that gives all the options. But I think there is some sort of limitation on that type of thing where 'reward selections' can only have so many options. I'm not sure though. And/Or they could have the solo weekly give a 'random rune' as well.

I read a post once when discussing these runes that content is balanced where runes aren't even needed. So why be so stingy with them? Just let people get them with a bit of effort so they don't feel so bad. I mean if this is true its not even a question of balance or progression, just gamer 'quality of life.'
  9. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

a month? if you get yourself a group and burn through 8 zones (not including VD or HKC on this) which doesnt take all that long, thats 40 etyma. Gold member? thats 80. Chances are you just completed the daily as well. thats another 5. Gold Member? thats 10. Lets look at the total. 45, or if gold member, 90. Thats 1 day. So by me saying 300-400 etyma. Thats 3-5 days worth of solid work. Doubled if not a gold member. Doesn't seem that ridiculous. Not any more so than how it is now. And if you are lucky to win a war rune during these runs, then thats 1 less you have to worry about purchasing for etyma.

edit: you will also only have to purchase the the war runes once on a toon. then just use dislodgers incase you want to swap them around. thats 45 etyma
  10. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

yeah the quest idea would work... but only in addition to being able to purchase them as well
  11. Hammdaddy Active Member

Add purple war runes to the etyma merchant, make them no trade and the only way you can buy them is by doing the questline. Now you have the quest to obtain them and a gate so their not too easy to get on alts.
    /thread
  12. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

that defeats the whole purpose of making them easier to get for alts which is the purpose of this thread...
    /see yourself out
    Neiloch likes this.
  13. Talathionwins Active Member

If you have 1 you should be able to examine it and split it for all of your alts. Each time you examine one a prompt will come up saying: Copy this item? You can do this infinite times as long as you've learned the purple rune.
  14. Neiloch Well-Known Member

The amount of work involved to get runes you want isn't terribly unreasonable on its own, although it could use a system to circumvent bad RNG. It falls apart completely when you want to use/maintain alternate characters as well. Even if you use your 'main' to get runes and pass them off to alts its AT LEAST as much work as doing it for your main. There is ZERO convenience or short cuts.

Given where we are at in this xpac and the next will be raising the cap I would imagine any complicated or involved system would be too much work since it will probably become unused in a few months. Simply upping the drop rate would be great and easy to do. Putting them on a vendor for a relatively high etyma price would also be easy to do as well. Adding an entirely new quest just for this would be MUCH more work than these solutions.

They could use the 'Tears of Veeshan' sig questline as a gating mechanism. Make a vendor with no-trade runes with low etyma cost (100-125) but only usable once you finish the questline. The lower cost is justified by the gate of the long quest chain.

The devs seem hot on getting people to run weeklies/dailies as well so how about a guaranteed random rune for finishing a weekly? Both solo and heroic.
    Rhapsodic1 likes this.
  15. Coriel Active Member

I don't really mind that war rune patterns are a bit harder to get than other pieces of loot. However, with all the rants going on, the current age of the ToV expansion and "bones" already tossed at the whiners - what about a barter merchant for war runes?

It could work like that: You trade in your unwanted purple rune for 1 rune token, and you can buy any purple war rune for X tokens. Can also gate access to the rune barter NPC behind the signature questline.
  16. Coriel Active Member

Umm, so you'd prefer to have an array of war runes but lack the items to put them into? ;)
  17. Elhonna Member

Not sure why the purple runes aren't just a 50% drop rate from the hardest heroic zone, with the pattern being able to be chosen much as the leather/chain/plate boxes are. Seems to me that would have been the simplest fix to it.

Same with when it actually drops in solo runs, chosen by the player, not rng. The fact that the solo drop rate is terrible is also annoying. All the solos are terribly easy, maybe next expansion make advanced solos actually hard? Give the zones increasing chances of rune drops as difficulty increases.

Just throwing ideas out there.

0.3%, that's ridiculous. I know I personally was around 100 runs before I saw my first rune drop. Not sure what the actual intended drop rate is, but for some reason after getting my first it was maybe one in 20-25 runs. so 4-5% drop rate...
  18. Reshi Member

I hate to be that guy but...

Once in a while, I see some nice purple runes drops in group. I get really excited and then I loose the need roll... its really really disheartening when something like this happens all the time :( After a while it makes you start hating the game and wonder why I even play lol
  19. Montag Well-Known Member

Ya the war rune situation is really rough for people who seriously play multiple chars. I wish they make them buy able but you must already have the one you want to buy. So once you've got say, stout on one char he can always buy more stouts for your alts.
  20. Reshi Member

I only play one char and the war rune is is huge issues for me as well! The problem is RNG... I have been doing tonnes of solo instance runs and they never drop any runes. I been doing group instance runs and I see them once in a while but then I always loose the NEED roll. Its double RNG with group zones lol.

I have no issues with running these zones. I will gladly run 100 or even 200 solo/group run just for 1 guaranteed rune at the end! Its the bloody RNG that annoys me since even if I did 300 runs, I may not get a rune!
  21. Rhapsodic1 Active Member

this issue really needs to be addressed in the next weekly update.